Start by marking “Zombies Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
Zombies Christmas Carol

Zombies Christmas Carol (Marvel Zombies)

Gather your family close, board up the doors, and heed well the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge - a man whom no fire could warm, whose cold heart pumped ice through his veins and whose lips uttered a firm "BAH!" to any sort of happiness. Learn from his experience as he is visited by the undead corpse of his old friend, Jacob Marley, on Christmas Eve. And join him on his journey t ...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Zombies Christmas Carol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies Christmas Carol

Sesana
Nov 20, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
I honestly wasn't expecting much out of this. A Christmas Carol with zombies? Not exactly promising. And yet, oddly, it actually works fairly well. What keeps this together, I think, is that McCann largely uses Dickens' original words, and what original text he adds he's careful to keep in essentially the same style. Not the easiest thing in the world to do. And he also manages to make an original, zombie-filled storyline fit into the basic story arc that one would expect from A Christmas Carol. ...more
Ian Wood
Dec 25, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Jacquline
Apr 17, 2014 Jacquline rated it really liked it
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Dec 27, 2012 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it really liked it
I have to confess that I have not actually read Charles Dickens' original work. To be honest, most of his work doesn't strike me as my sort of reading. But, given how much the creators of this work revered the original that they were "zombifying," I just might check out A Christmas Carol.
Adding zombies to classic books seems to be all the rage. Most of them have not interested me, but when I saw that Marvel (who've been doing their own take on zombies for some years now) were beating the prose p
Wit
Jan 16, 2016 Wit rated it it was amazing
It was a little surprising how easily this classic tale was transformed into one of a zombie nature. Nothing of the original was lost in this adaptation, and other themes were actually added, or expounded upon. This one gave a better look at how one person's actions can effect everyone around them.
Patricia
Dec 28, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
I always look for new editions or versions of Dickens' Christmas Carol every Christmas season, as it is another of my all-time favorites. It never gets old to me & is re-created in a multitude of variations, from the Muppets movie to beautifully illustrated books. This one is also fantastically illustrated, but in a most macabre, yet Victorian, style. I enjoyed reading this; only gave it 4 stars because I don't like zombie stories very much- give me vampires, werewolves, faeries, etc. but zo ...more
Scott McCloskey
Apr 05, 2013 Scott McCloskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough good things about this tale. Excellent artwork, and it keeps well to the spirit of the original while adding in a horror aspect that excites the reader that much more. Clearly a lot of time went into crafting something truly enjoyable here for all walks of life. If you already enjoy comics, don't miss this one. If they aren't so much your thing, consider giving this one a chance anyway. I think you'll be glad you did.
Shane
Dec 28, 2013 Shane rated it liked it
This was pretty good. I really liked the art a lot but obviously there weren't any big surprises. I can't remember if I've ever read the original so I was very curious how much of the text was the same.

It's funny because I thought it would have been really fun (but totally ridiculous) if Scrooge would have turned into the ultimate zombie killer and been totally armed to the teeth then wiped out the entire town.
Alicia
Apr 21, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In this graphic novel retelling of the classic Dickens Christmas story, Scrooge is humanity's last hope as the poor and destitute (zombies) threaten the city with their insatiable hunger. The silly and wonderful and the art is gorgeous. Well, as gorgeous as zombie gore can get. As a huge fan of A Christmas Carol and a fan of zombie tales, I loved it.

Warnings on: graphic violent imagery.
Satia
Some interesting narrative choices complemented by wonderful illustrations by two graphic artists results in a very good graphic novel. I'm simply not the right audience for this. For more:

Richard Noble
Dec 22, 2015 Richard Noble rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
a tremendous version of a Christmas carol. each Victorian zombie was individual and the three ghosts were brilliantly realised.
Jo
Jun 13, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A twist to the classic Dickens tale adding zombies to mix. A very good read with brilliant artwork.
Evan
Jan 06, 2012 Evan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Disgustingly warped twist on an often-told tale, with beautifully-creepy artwork.
Alex Neilson
Feb 16, 2015 Alex Neilson rated it liked it
A good graphical adaptation, but lost me a bit in the metaphysics at the end.
Marissa
Dec 27, 2014 Marissa rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A cute take on the story, but I'll still take the original.
Jakub
Mar 23, 2015 Jakub rated it really liked it
I like these zombie stories...
John Lamberth
After the mash-up genre of combining horror monsters with classic literature really took off with Seth Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, there have been many attempts to get in on the action. Marvel had already been doing the "zombie" thing for awhile with their Marvel Zombies series so Zombies Christmas Carol seems like a natural progression.

This was really kind of disappointing. The horror part wasn't very horrifying. The setup and resolution are flimsy even for a zombie story.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Zombies Christmas Carol #1-5 (August 2011 to December 2011). Ebenezer Scrooge has a problem. He hates everyone around him and the Christmas holiday that reminds him of his past. When Scrooge was young, he was bitten by a sick horse that gave him something extra. Scrooge often hurts those who hurt him and those who are hurt become the Hungry Dead. Scrooge has been hurt a lot in his past and now the Hungry Dead threaten to overtake London. It is up to the visits from the Ghost of Christma ...more
May
Nov 27, 2012 May rated it it was ok
I am not sure what I was expecting when I picked up this graphic novel other than I wonder how zombies can successfully fit in with the traditional story of "The Christmas Carol". For some reason, graphic novel writers seem to love zombies more than any other supernatural creatures and the results have been abysmal so far. I thought it was a nice storytelling element to portray the zombies' endless hunger for flesh as a metaphor for Scrooge's endless hunger for wealth. Hence it was not surprisin ...more
Meg McGregor
I have read the classic tale many times so I wanted to read this one. I think I will stick to reading the story by Mr. Dickens. The adaptation was fine; but the illustrations felt disjointed.
Lukas Holmes
Aug 27, 2015 Lukas Holmes rated it it was ok
What can I say? Visually, wonderful. Thematically, a garbage fire.
Rachel Hall
Honestly this book only got two stars because I liked the artwork....and absolutely nothing else. I picked this up on a whim and and didn't have too high of hopes for it, which turned out to be accurate. The plot is a little too forced, with the two stories of victorian zombies and A Christmas Carol and sometimes the dialog seemed to literally be from two different stories. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, it will be waste of your time.
Abraham Ray
nice but not for me though.
Robbi Caldwell
Robbi Caldwell marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Bryan Ball
Bryan Ball rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • Marvel Zombies 5
  • Marvel Zombies Supreme
  • Marvel Zombies: Dead Days
  • Bomb Queen Volume 1: Woman Of Mass Destruction (Bomb Queen, #1)
  • Carnage: Family Feud
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • High Tide at Midnight (Trese, # 6)
  • Punisher: War Zone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 2
  • The Sons of Liberty #1
  • Spider-Man: Died In Your Arms Tonight
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Venom, Vol. 1
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • The Devil's Rose
  • Okko: The Cycle of Air (Okko, #3)
  • Style Me Vintage: The Complete Guide to Creating a Retro Look: Hair, Make-up, Clothes
Jim McCann is an award-winning writer of comic books, television, and theatre. He worked on several films and music videos before he was accepted into the ABC Daytime Writer Development Program. During that time he wrote for the popular ABC daytime drama One Life to Live. Upon moving to New York, he found a position at Marvel Comics, where he remained for six years, working in publicity and PR.

He
More about Jim McCann...

Marvel Zombies (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Marvel Zombies
  • Marvel Zombies: Dead Days
  • Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness
  • Marvel Zombies Return
  • Marvel Zombies Supreme
  • Marvel Zombies Destroy!