Start by marking “Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom” as Want to Read:
Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom

Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom (Horrible Harry #10)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  472 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
It's the last day of second grade, and Song Lee's having a party at the amusement park to celebrate. Harry can't wait to go on all the rides, except for one--THE DROP OF DOOM. Will Harry face his fear, or will he have to put up with Sidney's teasing all through third grade?
Published February 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom

Kristi
Nov 16, 2012 Kristi added it
Interest level: ages 7 and up
Lexile Reading Level: 410 L
Genre: Comedy and Humor/ Series/ Ralistic Fiction
Main Characters: Song Lee, Harry, Doug, Sidney, Mary

Song Lee invited her friends Harry, Doug, Sidney, and Mary to her birthday party. They are going to an amusement park to celebrate. Harry loves all the scary rides at the park except one, the Drop of Doom. Harry faces his fear with the help of Song Lee. Harry conquers his fear and realizes that he actually enjoys the Drop of Doom.

I would
Susan
This book is about a second grader who is challenged by a peer to ride an amusement park ride. He later finds out that the ride is an elevator drop and he is terrified of elevators. The story tells of how with the help of his friends, Harry is able to overcome his fear. I would use this book in class to teach about our abilities to overcome our fears and to reach goals we think are unattainable. This book is a good transitional reader for students starting into chapter books.
Leigh
Sep 25, 2013 Leigh rated it liked it
Another book of mine that wouldn't have been read had I not signed on for the "Cover-To-Cover Challenge"....the goal of which is to read EVERY book I own before I'm allowed to buy or borrow any new ones.

As much as I hated Horrible Harry & The Green Slime, I actually loved this one even though it is NOT age appropriate XD The biggest difference for me was that in this book the entire thing covered one story which was different from the last one in which every chapter covered a single story so
Dolly
Jul 08, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is another interesting story in the Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline and Frank Remkiewicz. We've read several of the books in this series and found them to be funny, short, and entertaining.

I loved that the story handled the concept of fears and offers a way to overcome them with the support of friends. Our girls loved that it featured an amusement park with fun and scary rides and we reminisced for a bit about our most recent trip to a park like this.

We really enjoyed reading this boo
Brooke Birchler
This would be a really good book for a student who is just getting into chapter books. This is a story about a group of children who take a trip to an amusement park. One of the children is afraid to go on one of the rides but does not want to admit it to his friends because he is afraid he will get teased. One of his friends helps him to get through his fear and he rides the ride and loves it. This would be a good book to recommend to a child if they have a fear of amusement park rides or just ...more
Jana Smith
Mar 10, 2016 Jana Smith rated it really liked it
Great for early readers wanting a chapter book to read, very entertaining!
Kristy Haight

Fear Fiction.
Amusement parks Fiction.
Elevators Fiction.

Illustrator: Remkiewicz, Frank

Notes: On the last day of second grade, Song Lee's party at the local amusement park forces Harry to face his fear of elevators when he is expected to ride the Drop of Doom.

Tashi
Jan 09, 2008 Tashi rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
ididn't read the hole book but when harry heard the ride drop of doom he got alittle scared because he hates elevator's because when he was small he went on a elevator and the elevator got stuck and he cried help but even song lee hated elevator's because it happed the same thing to her and harry harry kind of got sick because he was scared he felt likehe was going to throw up
Earline
Aug 10, 2015 Earline rated it really liked it
I like this story because it features the Drop of Doom (very smiliar to our favorite ride: the Tower of Terror). I enjoyed Harry's struggle to overcome his fears and the backstory of his fear for elevators really seemed to resonate with my stepson. My only reservation is the dialog for Song Lee's mother made me uncomfortable.
Kim
Apr 02, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, and how they all help Harry deal with a fear that he has while one of his classmates makes fun of him over it. It shows just how each of us have fears, and how we can work through them with help from our friends.
Shellee
May 23, 2010 Shellee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1-3 grade students, boys
End of the year party at an amusement park, Mountainside Parkfor a lucky group of 2nd graders. Fearless, adventurous Harry has a phobia, elavators. He has promised his freinds to ride the Drop of Doom(Disney's Tower of Terror.

Book about the power of friendship and overcoming your fears.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
its about Song lee invited a everybody to the end of the school year party and Sid says there is a new ride called the drop of doom it has to do something about elevators which Harry is afraid of so when Song lee encouraged him to go on he went on and survived it.
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-reading, 2011
I enjoyed reading this to my sons because it had a very realistic plot that my boys could really relate to (unlike fantasy books). Harry was scared to go on a ride at the amusement park, but he overcame his fear and enjoyed it.
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-read
Started this series with my son this week. A perfect transition book into chapter books as it still has some pictures to help him visualize the story.

Funny and sweet and actually real to life feelings for these kids.
Jacob
Aug 23, 2009 Jacob rated it really liked it
Horrible Harry books are easy and quick to read. I liked this one because the drop of doom is just like the Tower of Terror at Disneyland. And next time I go to Disneyland I'm going to try it out...
Amy
Pretty standard realistic fiction fare for an early chapter series. It is nice how Harry exhibits some of the vulnerable qualities that children have. Makes it seem even more realistic.
Christina
Aug 03, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it
Great book for beginning readers, especially 1st and 2nd grade students..There are other books in the Horrible Harry series, if students want to read more Horrible Harry books...
Lindsey
Feb 03, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Excellent series to introduce chapter books. Students will enjoy Harry and his classmates. I like how it is a boy main character. This is popular with my students.
Parmeet
Dec 29, 2008 Parmeet rated it it was amazing
I really like reading these kinds of books. This was really funny how Harry was to scared to ride a very scary elevator ride at a Theme Park.
Tierra Garr
Apr 25, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it it was amazing
I didn't think Harry was scared of anything! He can't miss out on Song Lee's party, so he has to go and face a fear of his.
Karen
Apr 14, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a cute story based on a class trip to Disney world. My first grade book group loved it.
Apr 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This is what we were reading at the moment the bombs went off in Boston. Absurd, that.
tashi
Jan 09, 2008 tashi rated it it was amazing
i am not done with this book but really liked it
G solo
Nov 04, 2009 G solo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7-9 years
good book but too short.
Grrrr
Nov 12, 2011 Grrrr added it
I think the ride sound's fun.
Luersman
Luersman marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Saisha
Saisha rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
  • How David Met Sarah
  • The Kiss / A Visit to Friends
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
  • The Talent Show from the Black Lagoon
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch (Junie B. Jones, #19)
  • Turn Me Loose: The Unghosting of Medgar Evers
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • [Citation Needed]: The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
  • Waiting for Lefty
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • The Chrysanthemums
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...

Horrible Harry (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #1)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion
  • Horrible Harry and the Christmas Surprise
  • Horrible Harry and the Green Slime (Horrible Harry, #2)
  • Horrible Harry and the Kickball Wedding