Start by marking “Year's Best SF 16” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 16

Year's Best SF 16 (Year's Best SF #16)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Step Into The Future

The finest selections from a banner year for short-form science fiction, Year's Best SF 16 is the boldest, most eye-opening compilation to date from acclaimed, award-winning editors and anthologists David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer—brilliant visions, both dark and hopeful, of what might await humankind over tomorrow's horizon.

Contributors include:

Gr
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 16

Gardy
Erano anni che non leggevo un Year's Best SF (in questo caso il 16, corrispondente al 2011) e sono rimasta molto sorpresa nel constatare che i vari generi ibridi tra fantascienza e qualcos'altro (steampunk, fantasy, filosofia new age) regnano incontrastati sulla raccolta.

In soldoni, i racconti non sono malaccio (a sentire chi segue fedelmente la pubblicazione, il 2011 è stata un'annata piuttosto fortunata) e la qualità media è buona. Ci sono clamorosi scivoloni, quello sì, ma credo dipenda molt
Kersplebedeb
This collection just gets worse and worse every year - i don't know if it's me, or the editors. But i tend to think the latter.

There were stand-out stories, ones that made reading the book worthwhile, and because of which i know i'll get #17 next year. For instance,Graffiti in the Library of Babel, Jackie's Boy are each exceptionally good stories, and The Cassandra Project and A Preliminary Assessment of the Drake Equation were not bad either. The problem is, those latter two should have set the
Chris LaHatte
I am cautious of collections, but was pleasantly surprised by this. The writing was of a consistently competent standard, with some fresh ideas and some new writes as well as a few more well known. It seems to be popular to create new dystopias-perhaps the world vision is bleaker in a world with pointless wars, crumbling economies and imminent climate collapse. 2 stories appealed to me in particular-The Cassandra project by Jack McDevitt which is a good spin on the conspiracy theories about the ...more
Christopher
I enjoyed two stories: Cat Valente's "How to Become a Mars Overlord" (A+) and Sean McMullen's "Eight Miles" (B+). I thought the stories by Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Damien Broderick, Karl Schroeder, and Paul Park were interesting but a little too thin (Hoffman), too dream-like and slippery (Park), too familiar from other recent SF (Schroeder), and too New Wave / 60s cliché (Broderick). The rest I could do without entirely: very dull, too familiar, and overly reliant on simplistic hooks/gotchas/allego ...more
Jarezal
Como en toda antología se pueden encontrar historias que te gusten mucho y otras que preferirías no haber perdido el tiempo con ellas. En esta recopilación hay un par de muy buenas ideas e historias originales y algunas que mañana ya habré olvidado.

Sleeping Dogs – 3/5 – Un militar que vuelve al lugar de su última misión de la cual no tiene recuerdos para probar una nueva droga y descubrir qué ocurrió realmente.

Castoff World – 3/5 – La historia de una niña y su abuelo navegando en una isla de des
Peter
A collection of some of the best stories of the year 2010, in the opinions of the editors, at least. As usual, sometimes they really hit on my tastes, and sometimes are wide off the mark.

Most of the stories were mildly enjoyable, but didn't leave much impression. In fact, now, reading back over the table of contents, a few I completely struggle to remember what they're about. That said, there were some bright spots... one that I thought I was going to dislike, based on the introduction and type
Nathan
A wonderful set of stories more then one of them I wanted to pull back the cover of the book to read just a little more, see what happened after the talking elephant and its calf keep taking care of the one legged boy. Do they beat and cut off another finger of the soldier that learned the truth so that he forgets again. yes I enjoyed it.
Matt
Good collection of short stories.
Anna
Eugenie Markham is trying to find a way to protect her twins from the powers that are after them. It is prophesied that her son will be the one to overtake the human race, and therefore the other Kings and Queens of the Otherworld are out to get him, whether it be to stop him or make sure that it will happen. Either way, Eugenie knows that she needs to keep her babies and self safe. She decides to leave the Otherworld until they are born, and takes refuge with a Shaman in Alabama. She feels dist ...more
Alytha
Finished another short story collection, for a change ;)

This is the 2011 edition, thus the best stories of 2010.

Some really quite good stuff in this one:

Petopia by Benjamin Crowell: a couple of kids from the slums somewhere in Africa find a cast-off high-tech AI toy which turns their life quite upside down.
Futures in the Memory Market by Nina Kiriki Hofman: a story about Geeta Tilrassen, a future star of a kind of entertainment where you sample the emotions, memories and sensual input of the s
Fabio Tassi
I migliori racconti SF del 2010 (The Year's Best SF n.16).
Apprezzabile la scelta di mettersi in pari con l'edizione americana originale in modo da presentare la produzione piu' recente di short stories (sperando che anche i volumi mancanti della serie - 14 e 15 - vengano tradotti e recuparti al piu' presto in un'altra edizione).
Michele
The best collection of short-form SF I've read in quite a while. All the stories are top-notch, with a wide mix of voices, settings, topics, length, styles and approaches. There are tales of post-apocalypse, space adventure and genetic modification; there are children and old men and guitar-playing dinosaurs and even a sort of steam-punk female Napoleon.

The only disappointment was the last one, a modern riff on the Benandanti -- I'm a fan of updated/retold folklore and fairy tales and I don't m
Devero
Graffiti nella Biblioteca di Babele
Antologia, su Urania Millemondi n 59 del Maggio 2012.
21 racconti di 21 autori. Purtroppo, rispetto ad altre antologie della serie, non l’ho gradita molto. A parte l’ottimo Dalla Lontana Cilenia di Karl Schroeder ed il buono Graffiti Nella Bibliotaca di Babele di David Langford, per il resto manca di qualità.
Tutto sommato a parte questi due racconti, sono oltre la sufficienza altri 2 o 3 brani, ed il resto è finito in fretta nel dimenticatoio.
Si salvano di certo
Mike
As with most anthologies I have read, I rarely like all the stories in it. There were a couple I really

struggled with and had to give up on but there some good to very good stories in this book. The ones I really

liked are:

The Hebras and Demons and the Damned by Brenda Cooper
The Good Hand by Robert Reed
The Cassandra Pro
Falbs
"The trouble with an open mind, the saying went, is that people come along and put things in it." -David Langford
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
Some recent SF leaves me cold. There is a current spate of "mood pieces" which evoke some exotic locale but provide little or no characterization. Then there are the "what is reality?" pieces which simply strike me as self-indulgent. But when you exclude those, the remaining pieces in this anthology don't disappoint. There's a colony world I want to move to tomorrow, aliens who charm and the prospect of interstellar travel. All with less abuse of conservatives and Christians than I have seen in ...more
Michael Blackmore
I've been reading this series since the first volume and I have to admit I'm doing it more out of momentum than anything else. There's always a couple of good stuff but I'm finding more and more of them I simple skip since he tends to prefer trends in SF that simple don't appeal to me anymore. Too many post Armageddon tales or nanotech magic tales, etc.

Maybe next year will be better or not. Perhaps its just time to see if there is another of the many annual anthologies out there nowadays that w
Joe Machado
I really enjoyed a few of the stories in this collection, particularly Cat Sparks' "All the Love in the World", David Langford's "Graffiti in the Library of Babel", and Alastair Reynolds' "At Budokan.

The standouts to me though were Michael Swanwick's "Steadfast Castle", and Karl Schroeder's "The Hie from Far Cilenia". Both involve mystery, and the blending of human and artificial intelligence.
Scott
A mixed bag. Some of the stories I enjoyed greatly while others were a slog. I guess that's the way with a short story collection; in including a variety of SF stories something is bound not to appeal to me. That being said most of the stories were good. Special mention goes to "To Hie from Far Cilenia" which I quite enjoyed, both story wise and for the ideas on how near future technology and society may develop.
Paige
Anthology was too deep space heavy for my taste. I found some of the stories to be a bit of a bore. But there's always a few standouts in any collection. I was quite fond of Alistair Reynolds's "At Budokan" which was a bizarre romp about dinosaurs playing rock music as well as "The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt which centers on photos of a mysterious dome on the moon that predated the first lunar landing.
Jenny
Jackie's Boy made this collection worth reading. I enjoy the short stories because I can put them back down and they allow for a short period of escapism in a time when I have little room for that. All in all a decent quick read, but besides Jackie's Boy and the first story rather unimpressive.
Andrew
Some really good stories, including a really short but well written one. The last story in the collection, though, seemed complex just for complexity's sake, and it didn't come off very well. Oh well, rest of the collection was great, as usual.
Alan Mcrae
Found this to be so-so reading. Obviously with several different contributing authors, some stories are more liked than others. However I liked the fact that I get an idea of the authors, that I wish to continue reading.
Alan Formstone
A bit middle of the road for me. some good, some not so good for my taste.
Mark Adams
if you read any story in this collection, make sure it is "Jackie's Boy"
Roland Riggs
I'm typically a fan of these but this one was a little underwhelming.
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Richard Ackrill
Richard Ackrill marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2011
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Best Alternate History Stories of the 20th Century
David Geddes Hartwell (born July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))