Directo al Aro = Strong to the Hoop

Directo al Aro = Strong to the Hoop

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Ten-year-old James has gone to the basketball court with his brother Nate many times, but one day a players injury actually gets him into the game with the older, stronger boys. James must guard powerful Marcus, whose strength intimidates him. James is skilled, but can he prove himself against the odds? John Coys lively prose and Leslie Jean-Barts dramatic photo collages d...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Lee & Low Books (first published January 1st 1999)

Brandon O'Neill
John Coy is our visiting author this year, so I thought I'd better get ready and read some of his stuff. This is very short and quick to read. The text was good - full page pictures try to match the action in the telling of the story.
Ms. B
Basketball fans and anyone looking for a sports story with lots of action will like this.
Aubrey White
I want to hear big brother Nate's encouragement ring in my ears every time I fail at something "easy," something I've told myself I have to do, something I OUGHT to be able to do, something I know I'll have to do again. "Go strong to the hoop."

Also . . . Josiah played basketball alone in the foyer for quite a little while this afternoon after we read this book. Coy succeeded in inspiring.
Shuntia Williams
This is a story about a boy who plays basketball with the big boys for the first time. In the beginning his confidence level is low because he is so little. By the end of the story his confidence is high because he scored the winning point. I would suggest this story to my students who like sports or students who have low self confidence.
Perfect book for basketball lovers! It would need a lot of explanation to read with non-basketball fans or ELL kids. Very exciting.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Benny
Benny marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Dylan Creath
Dylan Creath marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Noralis
Noralis marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Ellen
Ellen added it
Aug 16, 2013
Anne
Anne added it
Nov 28, 2012
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Tami Tagtow
Tami Tagtow marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2011
Peggy
Peggy added it
Nov 15, 2011
Adan
Adan marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2011
John Coy is an award-winning author, who worked as a dishwasher, mattress maker, group home worker, and tour guide before taking up writing. He's active in sports and is a member of the NBA Reading All-Star Team as part of the Read to Achieve program. John has traveled to all fifty states as well as to many countries internationally.

His work includes Night Driving, a Marion Vannett Ridgway Memori...more
More about John Coy...
Crackback Box Out Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball Top of the Order Two Old Potatoes and Me