Start by marking “Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  45 reviews

Accused of creating a bogus Red scare and smearing countless innocent victims in a five-year reign of terror, Senator Joseph McCarthy is universally remembered as a demagogue, a bully, and a liar. History has judged him such a loathsome figure that even today, a half-century after his death, his name remains synonymous with witch hunts.

But that conventional image is all wr

MP3 CD, 2 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blacklisted by History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacklisted by History

Atchisson
I will tell you now, if you want to be unsubscribed from everything from evite lists to goodreads lists, just tell someone that a) you're reading this b) you are loving this and c) MORE people should read this to get a better understanding of just what Joe McCarthy was REALLY all about. Nebulous terms about him and his name have been floated about from history classes to pop culture for decades, yet none of them can tell you anything about him, his methods, or his results. IF you really want to ...more
Bliss Tew
I bought the book in the Sacramento airport and started reading it on the plane home in September 2008. Stanton Evans, a true student and researcher into the Cold War, has vindicated all those who have defended Senator Joseph McCarthy for his long and lonely effort to expose some of the communists and traitors who were inhabiting federal positions of trust.

The careful documentation of Stanton's long-researched book speaks for itself. When coupled with the excellent book "The Venona Secrets," th
Krista
More "stuff you don't learn in school" - not only was the Communist threat to the country real and the infiltration unbelievably thorough, but thanks to documents that have been released in the last few years, we actually have (long-suppressed) evidence that McCarthy had something right. Not perfect, but he was on to something (which, incidentally, had been pursued by another congressman a few years earlier, as well).

Even more remarkable is that so many of the actual records of his hearings and
Wayne
A biased, well researched book. OK, disclosure first, I didn't finsih the book. I stopped on page 151 out of 600. I just couldn't take it any more.
Evans' view is that Joseph McCarthy is undeserving of the mantle that history has laid out for him. He was simply the leading figure in the few that were properly acknowledging the enormous problem of Communist infiltration of the US Government during the 1940s and 1950s. Evans attempts to prove this by laying out the case against people that McCarthy
Cathy
Had to push myself to read halfway, then gave up. I think the author's point is that the Senate "investigation" was nothing but a partisan battle in which the Democrats succeeded in making McCarthy look bad. However, the author is so transparently partisan in trying to make McCarthy look good that you still have to wonder where the truth lies. Another annoying aspect, unless you are a serious McCarthy scholar, is the author's attempt to answer the details of every charge chapter and verse. I was ...more
David Monroe
Redeem Joe McCarthy? Only McCarthy can respond to this revisionist drivel: “This,” muttered the flummoxed McCarthy as the Senate moved to condemn his behavior, “is the most unheard-of thing I ever heard of.”
Christine Hunt
Jun 05, 2012 Christine Hunt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals who value digging out truth for themselves
In its 605 pages, veteran journalist M. Stanton Evans gives specific details and reveals confidential Communist records of Soviet spy networks within the U.S., South America, Europe, and especially their connections with China in a joint attempt to control U.S. Ameri-Asian policy.

It also details and explains documented [but not talked of by our media] legal trials of U.S. citizens found guilty--not by McCarthy but by a federal court of law--of espionage and treason. Those things don't get much a
Matt
Ronald Reagan famously said, "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." Of course, that's often true for all of us, and as far as Cold War topics go, I think Joe McCarthy must be near the top of the list of things about which what we know isn't so.

The author went back to look at primary materials to investigate many claims made by historians, such as "McCarthy didn't name names." In fact, one of the reasons I couldn't rat
Varmint
Dec 06, 2007 Varmint rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: political junkies
what is the point of re examining a fifty year old cold war incident?

every day i read of some washington scandal with no real resolution. why isn't sandy berger in leavenworth for example? guess it will take fifty years to get any answers. and stanton evans is right on time. a few people have made careers out of distorting the truth surrounding the mccarthy era. thousands more stood by and let them.

i as never really able to focus on the case before. every book and movie, there are hundreds, al
Beth
This book changed me. I swallowed rage. The evil that was perpetrated by communist spies destroyed my illusions.

You will think that I listened only to one side of the story. But that is untrue. I read McCarthy and the Fear of Communism in American Historybefore, and I read Shooting Star: The Brief Arc of Joe McCarthy after.

If the truth isn't too strong for you. Read this book. You will change.
Bigmg
Exhaustive research. One can only imagine what else he would have been able to expose had no so many vial documents "disappeared".
Another subtitle could be, "The Pilfering of Truth".
THIS BOOK OFFERS JAW DROPPING REVELATIONS ON EVERY PAGE.
I went into this with the attitude that McCarthy wasn't as bad as everyone says. This book correctly frames the issues and what was at stake.

The McCarthy era wasn't about him destroying innocent people's lives or anything like that. McCarthy was the victim OF
Kay Mercuro
Even though this book is long I could not put it down. It is filled with so much documented information of the period in questions where we had lots of security problems in our government and cover up schemes which worked at the time. Some of the obstruction to getting at the truth done then is a constant reminder that nothing has changed today as similar tactics are used.

Fortunately, this book lists names and supporting documents to prove Senator McCarthy was right all along that our governmen
Moses Operandi
Jan 01, 2008 Moses Operandi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who can accept the unfashionable truth
People said he was lying, but it simply isn't true--no pun intended. Sen. McCarthy, as the author definitively proves, did not instigate a "witch hunt" against innocent Americans, and indeed was himself censured from the Senate for crimes he did not commit.

I'll be posting a more in-depth review of the book on my blog at some point.

Good job, Mr. Evans. A full five stars. The book is so fact-filled that it took a week to read. That's a long time for me.
Jake Wegman
Impressive research, but just took too friggin' long. It's the usual media story of some historical figure gets unfairly painted with a broad brush. I think Evans could've presented a much more concise argument. There are just too many people to keep track of here.
Denise
Another one off my son's political economy shelf. When I asked him how it was, he said "thorough," and that about sums it up. All of this happened before I was born, so I've mostly only heard the politically correct version of events: crazy Joe seeing commies under every bed. More recent news stories from the declassified Soviet files, confirming virtually everything McCarthy said, haven't affected the narrative much, as shown by George Clooney's 2005 film "Good Night and Good Luck."

In a way, th
John D Barber
The truth

I have read many books on the history of the US, most recently relating to the FDR, Truman and now Eisenhower administrations. McCarthy was so thoroughly vilified by the press and historians that it leads me to believe there was another story behind it all. That story is brilliantly exposed here. In reality, McCarthy was right. There were serious lapses in our security and hundreds of communist agents in our own government, relaying to Moscow our most sensitive secrets. Even Ike was par
Michelle
This one took quite awhile to read in its entirety. I had to put it down a few times and pick it back up later but, overall, I am glad that I finished it. History books & documentaries generally depict McCarthy as the villain in the whole "Red Scare" of the 50's and, as a student, I had always asked myself, "Why is this guy the villain? Wasn't he doing what he was supposed to be doing?" There are many answers to those questions and more in this book. While I admit that it's no light-reading, ...more
Regular Joe
I recently came across M. Stanton Evans' relatively recent book (2007) entitled Blacklisted By History (The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy--And His Fight Against America's Enemies). Having grown up during the events in this book, I was generally familiar with what came to be known as the Red Scare of McCarthyism. Suffice it to say, my impressions and recollections of McCarthy weren't very positive. After hearing about this book, I thought I would give another view of the McCarthy story a f ...more
David
A very detailed, carefully-sourced attempt to rehabilitate Sen. McCarthy, who was demonized by Herblock and other liberals. The OSS and State were full of communists and fellow-travelers. How much harm they did is another question.

Whether these folks "lost China," or conceived the New Deal is another matter, but they were there and some of them were spies. On those questions, McCarthy was right.

Evans heavily documents his work with quotations, references, and facsimiles of relevant documents. I
Cathy
"Accused of creating a bogus Red Scare and smearing countless innocent victims in a five-year reign of terror...his name remains synonymous with witch hunts."

Was McCarthy right all along? This book explores that question and answers it in a way that may surprise some-- Yes. He was. History has proven his concerns to be true, and this book documents the communist infiltration that took place in the highest levels of our government from the 1930s on. How much damage has been done to America and t
Mo
Another one of these great histories coming out that actually delve into the subject by reviewing the latest information on the subject. Lots of new information presented, follow up on those were accused. Still reading, quite riveting, another one of those that you can read slowly setting aside and returning to...big read. Gets a tad snarky at times, but only at times when a situation arises so blatant that, in the current vernacular, one would hear pundits exclaim, "Helllo..."
Jocelyn
I'm reading this in small doses because I'm interested in the history of this era, but it's not pleasure-reading. Evans presents a very accessible, well-researched, and thoroughly documented look at how the communist organization in America succeeded in demonizing Senator Joseph McCarthy. Debunks many myths about his personal as well as his political life. Turns out that the real "McCarthyism" was the campaign that McCarthy's enemies employed against him.
Kat
M Stanton Evans was informative, convincing, and further proves that McCarthy was a good man. The book itself was a bit dry, but I guess that was unavoidable. He had a boatload of evidence defending McCarthy, everything from VENONA to what McCarthy REALLY said at Wheeling. Read it. The 600+ pages are worth it, even if you have to push yourself.
Teresa
Aug 01, 2010 Teresa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Most everyone think when they hear the name Senator Joe McCarthy of the witchhunt type of trials exposing communists spies and sympathizers. This book reveals the other side of that now that past FBI files and Soviet files are opened to the publiic. This book exposes at least another view of that time period. I thought it very thought provoking.
Bob
This is the definitive historical count of the McCarthy era. Very infromative but a very tedious read. Heavily footnoted and referenced. If you interested in the true story of the involvement of Communist influence in the US government during the mid 20th century, this book will give you an unbiased and detailed version.
Darren
This book gives one the feeling of an X Files episode. The only difference between the two is to substitute subversive leftists for aliens. Great read if your interested in the communist penetration of the federal govt. allowed by the Democrats during the 40's and 50's.
Nancee
It started off great, but that was the end of it. There were massive amount of facts thrown out there in a random collection. He didn't tie things together and I didn't know what or whom he was talking about half the time. After about 100 pages in, I called it quits.
Seth
Whenever the ruling elite are as unanimous about something as they are about Joe McCarthy, they're guaranteed to be wrong. They had to smear McCarthy because he saw them for who they are. Evans belongs up there with Finkelstein as a teller of unfashionable truth.
Chris
I stopped reading after about 25 pages. It read like an op-ed.
Robin Feit
Aug 08, 2008 Robin Feit is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great book-semi-tome but very important piece of our history. Too bad Arthur Miller didn't have the opportunity to read this- I also love the liberal's reaction to this book "Of course we know that there were communists in the US government! So?" Oh well!
  • Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White
  • George Washington's Sacred Fire
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along
  • Samuel Adams: A Life
  • Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order, 1964-1980
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • The 10 Big Lies about America: Combating Destructive Distortions about Our Nation
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • Cowards: What Politicians, Radicals, and the Media Refuse to Say
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
American journalist, author and educator. As an undergraduate, Evans was an editor for the Yale Daily News. Upon graduation, Evans became assistant editor of The Freeman, where Chodorov was editor. The following year, he joined the staff of William F. Buckley's fledgling National Review (where he served as associate editor from 1960 to 1973)and became managing editor of Human Events, where he is c ...more
More about M. Stanton Evans...
Stalin's Secret Agents: The Subversion of Roosevelt's Government The Theme Is Freedom: Religion, Politics, and the American Tradition The Liberal Establishment Clear and Present Dangers: A Conservative View of America's Government Revolt On The Campus