Start by marking “Eyes of the Hammer (The Green Berets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eyes of the Hammer (The Green Berets, #1)

Eyes of the Hammer (The Green Berets #1)

From NY Times Bestselling Author, Amazon top 25 Author, former Green Beret and West Point Graduate, Bob Mayer.

What if US Army Green Berets led by Dave Riley must take on not only criminal drug traffickers but also betray their own government?

A US Army Special Forces team carrying sterilized weapons and unmarked uniforms is on its way to Colombia. The mission: conduct cov
Published March 25th 2011 by Who Dares Wins Publishing (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of the Hammer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of the Hammer

Martin Hill
Sep 03, 2015 Martin Hill rated it really liked it
A drug cartel’s assassination squad ambushes a Columbian judge and his U.S. Marshal bodyguards on an American street. The U.S. is powerless to respond until the Columbian president, eager to break the grip of the cartels on his country, secretly authorizes the U.S. to send covert forces into his country to destroy the cartels' biggest drug labs. A small force of Special Forces soldiers led by Chief Warrant Officer Dave Riley become the "eyes" for the covert air attacks – i.e., the "hammer" – sen ...more
Marti
Mar 18, 2013 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nook book This one was marked 817 pages, but the numbers jumped--still a long read. It is military suspense. The idea is that a special unit, with the permission of the president of Columbia, is going to execute a number of raids on the cocaine labs and trade there. The personnel have to do low parachute jumps, perform the mission, and get exfiltrated before the cocaine thugs can kill them. What sounds good on paper, doesn't always work out that way. All of this is supposedly secret, so how does ...more
Jim A
Aug 05, 2013 Jim A rated it liked it
While this was written over 20 years ago, the story holds up pretty well. Army Special Forces against Colombian drug cartels. I would guess that the military, CIA, Department of State "political dancing" has not changed, either.

Rather disappointing that the author, not once but twice, placed Colombia on the Gulf of Mexico as opposed to the Caribbean. I guess there were not World Atlases before Google Maps.
Joyce McKune
Special forces teams are sent to Columbia to destroy drug processing facilities. They get the idea there is a leak somewhere when they see so much action when they arrive.
Elizabeth
I loved it,once I started to read it I couldn't stop,it had action all the way though it,can't wait to get book 2 in this series
Rex Fuller
Aug 31, 2012 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mayer is reliable. I always enjoy him.
Wal.li
Aug 03, 2014 Wal.li rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drogenkrieg

Dave Riley und seine Gruppe der Green Berets werden für spezielle Übungen eingesetzt, um Sicherheitstests durchzuführen. Bei dem neuen Auftrag jedoch geht es um einen Feldeinsatz. Nach nur kurzer Vorbereitungszeit, die Dave bei weitem zu kurz erscheint, geht es nach Kolumbien. Die dort herrschenden Drogenkartelle sollen so geschwächt werden, dass sie mit ihren Drogen den amerikanischen Markt nicht mehr fluten können. Doch woher kommen die Zielinformationen. Wieso wird die Mission von
Stanley McShane
Jul 25, 2014 Stanley McShane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing these guys are out there doing this kind of work continues to blow me away, as did this book. Not only an education in the nature of Special Forces missions, but that of the sophisticated tools of the trade. Have always wanted to be a fly on the wall in top security exchanges; getting inside those heads, many of whom you know will never prove an asset and some of which will prove the liability. Also scary is the detailed numbers and descriptions of just how successful those cartels are a ...more
Jody
I got this book for free from Amazon, don't know if it's still there for free or not but it's still worth three or four dollars. I'm not sure what number this is in the series but it is part of a larger series. Judging by the author bio this is the real deal. Mayer graduated from West Point and was also in the special forces so it would not surprise me if there was a lot of truth in this series. I got a little confused by some of the military lingo but not enough that I was lost. It did slow me ...more
âalü:;
Jun 17, 2015 âalü:; rated it it was amazing

[**Warning: this text may contain spoilers.**]
Link to Amazon [http://www.amazon.com]

Link to Steve Jobs [http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walt... ]
Link to J.K.Rowling [https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... ]

This is bold text. [This is bold text ]
This is italic text. [This is italic text ]
This text is underlined. [This is underlined text ]
This text is striked out. [This is striked out text ]
This is block quote [
This is block quote text
]
This would be a new paragraph on GR.com but not
John Podlaski
Mar 29, 2016 John Podlaski rated it really liked it
I thought "Eyes of the Hammer" started slow and then began rolling just before halfway in the story. The planning and getting ready to go out on a mission was redundant at times but told it like it was. Once I got to the halfway point, I couldn't put the book down. Dave Riley and his female partner from the CIA are a force to be reckoned with. Mr. Mayer gave readers an in depth view of how treacherous the cartels in Columbia are. Their value of life is meaningless and money is everything. Althou ...more
Frank
After having read the first in the Area 51 series, I went into this book with expectations. Not high ones but middling ones and even those weren't met.
Overall, the story was interesting but I found that the telling became bogged down in military planning/execution minutia. I'm not a person who hates all detail and just wants big, 'splody things. I love detail but this detail was not pertinent to the story and seemed to be a page filler at times.
However, the item that deducted a couple of stars w
Jerome
Apr 04, 2016 Jerome rated it it was amazing
This was my second foray into the world of Bob Mayer, the first being about a decade ago when I was in high school. Without knowing of the series, I got Operation Dragon Sim from a store called Odd Job and burned through it.

What I appreciated about his writing was the realism and the way he treated certain subjects, such as sex, in books like this. He took care of it in a manner befitting of the context of this book. This is a military action, not a romance novel filled with careless and meanin
Bert
Jul 18, 2014 Bert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of this author's Green Beret series of action novels. The setting is Columbia, where roughly 25% of the population depends directly or indirectly on the cocaine economy. We have an accurate and detailed account of how the product is made, from cultivation of leaves to refinement into powder in laboratories. There's an obvious connection to political corruption. The United States is adversely impacted by drugs and street violence, so drug interdiction teams are clandestinely sen ...more
Glenajo
Feb 12, 2014 Glenajo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed Information Provides Realistic Feel

Mayer’s knowledge of military protocol as well as all the tools of the trade supplements the details of this interesting premise. A conspiracy between opposing Colombian parties commences a Special Forces operation against drug lords. When the conspiracy turns against the American forces, Special Forces warrant officer Riley turns assassin to save the day. The detailed information about the process of Special Forces teams creates believable scenarios.
Denise
Jul 03, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
Very fast-paced special forces story that I really enjoyed! The only Bob Mayer books I had previously read were the three books he co-wrote with Jennifer Crusie. All three of those were fun, and I could tell (having read so many Crusie novels) which portions of those he had written; and one of those three -- Wild Ride -- is one of my favorite books. So, when I got Eyes of the Hammer as a free Kindle download, I knew it would be worth checking out, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Mayer is a f ...more
Sharon Hughson
Sep 05, 2013 Sharon Hughson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realistic military book that didn't feel the need to use profanity on every page. Yes, they swear in the army (I was there) but fiction doesn't have to imitate life. A few well-placed, less vulgar swear words are enough to impart believability.

Reading this on my Kindle while on the treadmill was a great way to keep my pace going. Don't know if I'll read any more of the series, but mostly because it isn't my favorite sort of book to read and my reading time is limited. I liked the main character.
Frank
Aug 06, 2014 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebook that came to me somehow on google play. Targeted assassination of drug cartels in Columbia, combined with gun fetishism and glorification of rank and file special operations troops. Kind of Tom Clancy derivative. Maybe somewhat mitigated by depiction of top brass at Pentagon, CIA, DEA as self-serving bureaucrats, relatively few cheap shots at Colombian insurgents. A decently attractive female CIA case officer. Still, it moved along OK.
Doug Hoffman
Jul 18, 2014 Doug Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a straight ahead military action adventure, a little dated but believable and enjoyable. The only thing that annoyed me was the inclusion of too much procedural detail in the debrief/planning scenes. I'm sure they are accurate reflections of real life in special forces but it really drags down the pace of the book. Thankfully, this goes away for the action filled end of the book. Otherwise, lots of violence, the good guys are good, the bad guys are bad, and the ending satisfying.
Robbie
I only read this book so I could let my husband know if I think it's a series he'd like - didn't really expect to like it much myself, but I'd read another book by this author and it was very good. So, I jumped in and read it: and found that I couldn't put it down! It was excellent. If you like reading about unsung heroes, you'll love the characters in this one. 5 stars for me!! Jim finished it on 9-21-13 and gave it 4.2 stars.
Mike McNeff
Oct 29, 2011 Mike McNeff rated it it was amazing
Bob Mayer knows Special Forces and knows how to write a great story. The action is in Columbia and the battle is a life and death struggle for a captured SF sergeant involved in strikes against drug labs. The action is fast and tense and the heroes, a SF warrant officer and a female CIA agent are a great duo. Mayer also gives us an inside look into spec ops tactics and equipment in this tightly written thriller.
Maryclaire Zampogna
This is my first reading of a book by Bob Mayer and I am please to see that there are more to read. This was a very educational look at what all has to be done on such a short notice to run an op. The dangers involved, the commitment and the dedication the members of the team have to each other. This book describes all their efforts, from the go signal, their preparations, the involvement of others military forces and the leveling of the cocaine labs in Columbia.
Robert C. smith
Jul 23, 2014 Robert C. smith rated it it was amazing
Exciting, Fast Paced War Novel!

Exciting, Fast Paced War Novel!

Author Bob Mayer knows how to create excitement, keeping the reader on edge throughout this fast moving, action-packed adventure! Made more realistic by the main character having to deal with politics while attempting to overcome evil drug lords, Mayer creates life-like action. Can't wait to read more of his books.
Walt Mccluskey
Nov 22, 2014 Walt Mccluskey rated it it was amazing
Eye of the Hammer

Extremely detailed relations of the missions attributed to the characters of the book made me feel a part of the story and made it difficult to leave the book alone for very long. The ending was abrupt and left me wishing it had done a little better at leading to further potential stories. Still strongly recommend it.
Uwe
Oct 18, 2016 Uwe rated it liked it
The book started pretty bad with to much explanation about military procedures and meetings. I actually thought of just quit the book. Than we got to the point of the action, the politics, the betrayals, the decisions made and the stand up off some pretty good characters!
In the end it was a good read.
Raymond Anthony Meece
Mar 08, 2016 Raymond Anthony Meece rated it it was ok
This is direct copy of clancys writing with out the suspense and thrilling fast paced grab of gut T.C.s knownfor !.

This just another attempt to ride off Clancy great works. This a direct copy of one of his first novels with out the excitements!. Just another copy of the greatest writer.
Todd
Aug 16, 2014 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mayer is able to mix enough facts into this story to make the reader believe this could be a true story. There is plenty of action along with the obligatory hero, girl and bureaucratic pencil pusher.. They are all mixed together to make a very enjoyable read.

I look forward to reading more novels by Bob Mayer.
Michael
Dec 15, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First the bad news: too much using God's name in vain. For that reason I won't read anymore of his books. I enjoyed the story because I can relate because of my military experience. Some may find it gruesome and too military. I found the book highly plausible and true to real life. Anyone interested in military books will enjoy this.
Jefft
Oct 20, 2014 Jefft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob did a great job with the characters and the plot. I'm a big fan of books about espionage and the military and I did not want to put this down. I typically read 45-60 minutes a day, but this book made me extend my reading time. I was very disappointed that I reached the end. I look forward to reading the other books in this series.

I highly recommend this book!
Chris Jensen
Jan 03, 2016 Chris Jensen rated it it was ok
Started out well enough, but then degenerates into a collection of stereotypes and cliches as the lead character rambos his way through caricatures of bad guys in a two-dimensional world where no problem is too hard that it can't be solved with enough application of torture and shooting things up.
  • Hide and Seek (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #4)
  • Hunter (Dylan Hunter #1)
  • MAC WALKER'S BENGHAZI:  The Complete Collection
  • A Pious Killing (A Sean Colquhoun Adventure)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • The Girl He Knows (No Strings Attached, #1)
  • With His Lady's Assistance (The Regent Mysteries, #1)
  • Untying the Knot
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Talon: Combat Tracking Team (A Breed Apart, #2)
  • Overture to Disaster (Post Cold War Political Thriller Trilogy)
  • The Last Airship (Sam Reilly Book 1)
  • Superior Storm (Lake Superior Mysteries)
  • The Spider Inside
  • PRIMAL Mirza (A PRIMAL Series Novella)
  • The Dig (Pike Logan #1.5)
  • Deadly Crossing (Tom Dugan #3)
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
19006
I'm a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. I've sold over five million books. I'm also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

I read whatever my wife tells me to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show (she also always has the TV remote and she's always right about what to watch). I read a lot of nonfiction, mostly
More about Bob Mayer...

The Green Berets (7 books)
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • Synbat (The Green Berets, #3)
  • Cut Out (The Green Berets, #4)
  • Eternity Base (The Green Berets, #5)
  • Z (The Green Berets, #6)
  • Chasing the Lost (The Green Berets, #7)

“along Keene Mill Road. Another mile and a half along the two-lane road that bisected Springfield, Virginia, and they'd reach the Beltway girdling” 0 likes