Start by marking “Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies” as Want to Read:
Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies

Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Pirate Penguin and Ninja Chicken are friends. Or maybe they're enemies. Heck, if they can't keep track, then how can we!? Whatever they are, they're definitely hilarious. We think you'll like this book: there are about a bajillion jokes inside, and it's filled with action, adventure and arguments. Sometimes the stories are really teeny, about stuff like ice cream smoothies ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Top Shelf Productions (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1

Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book that consistently can make me laugh out loud (as opposed to amused chuckling). This book managed to fit that bill. I was not only completely belly laughing, but also running to the next room to share my favorite jokes. The antics of these two are completely silly and ridiculous, but somehow that works for them. The “troublems” in the title should give you a clue that there’s a lot of odd word combinations, which sometimes work great for the storylines ...more
Angela
My new favorite graphic novel of the year! Seriously. I love this one. I know it's intended for the Captain Underpants crowd, but as a thirty-something lady I'm laughing-out-loud and loving the illustrations. Recommended wholeheartedly to not only the anticipated, aforementioned audience, but ages 5-12 looking for a laugh. Read it together, read it out loud.

A real chuckler of a book at a price and format that perfect for small hands, small budgets and anyone looking for a laugh.
Kaethe
I hate the word "frenemies" but it's a pirate! Penguin! so I had to check it out.

I didn't care enough to finish, but Natasha quite enjoyed it.

Library copy.
Lori Redman
Pirate Penguin and Ninja Chicken are best friends and enemies, (sigh), and frenemies. They simultaneously love and hate each other- help one another and fight one another, try to kill one another and hug one another. This book is first a collection of short 1-page comics of their antics (ended with "thend" instead of "the end"). The second half of the book is a longer story-arc that features Ninja Chicken going to a Ninja Conference and Pirate Chicken going into outer space.

The jargon in this b
NaomiRuth
I think I liked this? I don't know. I almost gave it 4 stars. I laughed a lot. But I'm trying to remember. That was so long ago. Why did I wait so long to rate this? I don't remember. I might change it to 4 stars later and then all of this review will be pointless. Quick! Think of something to say!

It was amusing. And. You should read it. Because I want to know what you thought of it. Because it was amusing. And. It made no sense. But. That's okay sometimes.
Christiane
I did not personally love this comic, finding it kind of silly and pointless. BUT--- I think young readers (BOYS especially!) who loved Captain Underpants will think it is hilarious. And a few times I was surprised to find myself actually laughing; who can resist Pirate Penguin complaining about the contents of the fridge: "All I see is raw vegetables and ingredient-type thingies. No actual FOOD food." or Ninja Chicken's creepy squid roommate (at the Ninja Convention, naturally) saying: "I've se ...more
Rebecca
This book is hilarious, silly, random, and just the slightest bit inappropriate (not like that). Filled with little stories that are not connected to each other except through the characters, this graphic novel will have you giggling and shaking your head at its ridiculousness. I loved it.
Tricia
Pirate Penguin & Ninja Chicken started their career in a web comic. Probably because of that, the first half of this book is short (2-3 page) stand-alone comics, with a repeating story structure. This got a bit tiresome to me, which meant I didn't plow through this as fast as possible. The second half of the book is a longer story (each bird on her/his own adventure, intersecting near the end) and thus was more engaging for me.

Overall it's silly fun, but it's not the best graphic novel out t
Crystal
The title and the idea is very fun. I found the stories a bit short for my taste, but I think my students will enjoy it - especially Cpt. Underpants fans.
Kate Hastings
Grades 1-4. My favorite graphic novel so far this year. This reminds me a little bit of the whole Doofenshmirtz/Perry platypus relationship. PP and NC like to fight just cuz. And then sometimes they aren't in the mood. But when they both go their separate ways they *gasp* learn to appreciate the other a little bit more. My son made me read this to him in nearly 1 sitting. Requires at least 3 sittings. *smile*
Dolores
There were plenty of laugh-out loud moments in this over-the-top silly graphic novel. The humor is so good-naturedly geeky that you cant' help but laugh. My 15-year-old was absolutely charmed. I would certainly say that this one has a lot of appeal for boys based on his recommendation. He has added Friesen's website to his list of daily must-reads. High praise indeed.
Naomi Schmidt
What did I think? I really don't know. I laughed out loud a few times. The concept of a Pirate Penguin and a Ninja Chicken that are frenemies seems like a surefire hit, but I can't say that I loved it. Amusing, cute pictures, funny characters, but I have to say that it didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would.
Susan
Very funny & silly graphic novel. All of us in the family - adults, teenager, 9 yo - loved it. It is much funnier when read aloud than to yourself. So many of the turns of phrase used are humorous, but you don't get the full effect when reading it silently. So find some kids & give it a read-aloud!
Patricia
Karen Chong
Mar 25, 2012 Karen Chong rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
This was sort of funny and cute, but I find I prefer longer stories. I only gave it two stars because although it was funny, the humor was aimed for a younger age group, and some of the things that were supposed to be humorous just didn't seem funny to me.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Certainly a graphic novel that the kids, especially the ninja lovers, will enjoy a great deal. The pirate penguin and the ninja chicken are frenemies who who often find themselves Ina full on rumble for silly reasons. Absolutely super silly fun!
Burbank Library Children's Department
This book has a pirate penguin and a ninja chicken, what more needs to be said? If you like Dragonbreath, Captain Underpants, or pretty much anything silly and super funny then you will like this!

AR 2.6
Justin
This book is fantastic! I picked it up at the library for my oldest son and ended up buying it for myself! Thank you Ray Friesen, you sir, are the bee's knees!
Blackbird Pie
Really silly, with a modern sense of humour. I wouldn't read it for myself, but I laugh at it when I'm reading it to my 8 year old DS.
Jessica
My favorite GN of the year. I sat and laughed out loud the whole time I was reading. So silly.
Alexandria
Apr 30, 2012 Alexandria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Samantha and Patricia
Recommended to Alexandria by: Myself
Polly
Cute, but not nearly as funny as some of Friesen's other stuff.
The Styling Librarian
Funny graphic novel, know it will be popular.
wjkb
So FUNNY !!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carla Hanson
Really silly, just as it should be!
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Kgkarvinen
Kgkarvinen marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Melissa Wood gackstetter
Melissa Wood gackstetter marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Valerie Lucas
Valerie Lucas marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I was born not to long ago, and have spent the intervening time drawing cartoons. I think I'm getting pretty good at them! I am fond of flamboyant hats and chocolate"
More about Ray Friesen...
Cupcakes of Doom! A Cheese Related Mishap and Other Stories Another Dirt Sandwich: Some Rambling and Hilarious Exploits of Tbyrd Fearlessness Lookit! Vol. 2 Yarg!: And Other Stories (Lookit!) Piranha Pancakes: Lookit! Comedy and Mayhem