Start by marking “Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)” as Want to Read:
Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)

Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah #12)

Navajo Police Special Investigator Ella Clah has seen a lot of death in the decade since she returned to the Reservation, but nothing quite as bad as a series of violent murders of young Navajo. Something about the crime scene reminds Ella of her days in the FBI, and she calls on Agent Blalock for help. And that's not the only link to Ella's past—clues indicates that Ella' ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Turquoise Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turquoise Girl

Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ella Clah, altho' it wouldn't be bad for her to get a love interest that lasted at some point--this one has her in more danger than is usual and more contemplative about her role as a parent
Doris
Feb 19, 2017 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
Ella Clah gets to discover more about her father's background, and how he, as a Christian minister, was viewed on the reservation by the Traditional People and also by those outside the reservation.

Overall a good read, but there were places the dialogue lagged or seemed to skip a beat, which made comprehension difficult.
Jeff Dickison
Jan 19, 2017 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good entry into the Ella Clah series. In this one, Ella & Justine, must investigate a series of murders, apparently committed by an individual who knew Ella's father from years ago. Well written, exciting, with a good plot. Recommended.
Lois Hecksel
Dec 13, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than a cozy mystery, this will appeal to fans of Tony Hillerman.
Angela
Mar 24, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ella is a Navajo police special investigator. Trying to incorporate new police science with old traditional Navajo beliefs is not an easy job. Ella is not greatly welcomed by her fellow Navajo tribe when she decides to become a police investigator. She tends to stray from old Tribal beliefs in ways of doing things and solving crimes, which is not looked kindly upon. When a Navajo woman is found murdered in her home near a small diner on the Rez Ella and her crew are on the case. Not everyone is ...more
Kristen
Oct 06, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2013
If you're tired of the same old police procedural mysteries and love Tony Hillerman's mysteries, give Aimee Thurlo's Ella Clah a try. Set on a New Mexico Native American reservation, she takes us on a wild ride. Ella Clah is a former FBI agent and an inspector for the tribal police with her cousin, Justine Goodluck, her partner in crime. When her mother's former friend is found murdered in her life, she's on her toughest case of her life. In the midst of this murder, there's the Fierce Ones, a v ...more
David
Nov 29, 2013 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Honestly, I just gave up on this one... Why? I was more than halfway through the book and happened to peek at the book jacket, only to discover that the identity of the killer was revealed on the book jacket, or so it appeared. It was already dragging terribly for me, with too many suspects, and interviewing people not even remotely close to the case for local gossip-- it just didn't do much for me.

So, this one doesn;t enter my count-- but I will likely not try anymore of them. Just meanders aro
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was a good read. I enjoyed the characters and their interplay. The book's setting on the Navajo reservation allows for a lot of cultural interplay that goes beyond what you normally find in mystery novels.
Douglas
Jan 03, 2010 Douglas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very satisfying read. I really enjoy the Ella Clah mysteries. The way the detectives are able to tract down the killers and yet the Navaho balance is always restored and they walk in beauty.
Jewett
Mar 17, 2015 Jewett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I have quit saying much about these books because I hate to keep repeating myself, but I love the whole series. In this one, we see a problem with religious fanatics that carries over into our world today. Ella does her usual great job and Justine is always there too.
DElizabeth DeWolfe
Outstanding mystery

This is by far,one of the best ella claw books in the series..the story line allows the reader a chance to know how each member of the claw family fits into the unlikely scenarios for the family ella has before she had dawn.
Jan
Aug 14, 2009 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
An Ella Clah detective mystery. For some reason, I found this one to be grittier and harder to get through than some of the others. It took a long, long time to find out why it was named turquoise girl and by now I have forgotten the tale.

Not my favorite but ok.
Mariana
Feb 14, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good fun read about Navajo in New Mexico.
Gail
Dec 14, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ella-clah-series
The Thurlos just keep coming up with interesting plots. This one was a little more grisly than some of the others.
Tom
Feb 28, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the southwest location and the characters, don't really care for the blood and gore.
Ruth
Mar 18, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the next to last Ella Clah book and it was really an easy but interesting read.
Ande Jones
it was ok. I have read others in this series that I liked better.
Michele bookloverforever
strong female police detective living and detecting on the Navajo reservation. Lots of Navajo culture. Murder and mayhem. Great peripheral characters. This is a good series.
Crystal
An average fiction mystery based on the Navajo culture.
Thea
Jul 28, 2015 Thea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this next book!
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Sarah Arrossa
Sarah Arrossa rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Maureen
Love the characters and their interactions, wonderful setting, can't remember the plot!
Zignorp
Zignorp rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Patsy Davis
Patsy Davis rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2008
Judy Parker Cohen
Judy Parker Cohen rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Kaye Jordan
Kaye Jordan rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • Wild Indigo (A Wild Mystery #1)
  • The Old Gray Wolf
  • The Spider's Web (Wind River Reservation, #15)
  • The Fly on the Wall
  • Dance of the Thunder Dogs
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo...

Ella Clah (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)
  • Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)
  • Changing Woman (Ella Clah, #7)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • Wind Spirit (Ella Clah, #9)
  • White Thunder (Ella Clah, #10)