Mister Sandman

Mister Sandman

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  623 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Barbara Gowdy's outrageous, hilarious, disturbing, and compassionate novel is about the Canary family, their immoderate passions and eccentricities, and their secret lives and histories. The deepest secret of all is harbored in the silence of the youngest daughter, Joan, who doesn't grow, who doesn't speak, but who can play the piano like Mozart though she's never had a le...more
Published April 15th 1997 by Steerforth Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Sandman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Sandman

Holly
The story of a family set in 50s-70s Canada; this unconventional family - closet homosexual Gordon; wild, lying Doris; brilliant, promiscuous Marcy; slow, overweight, happy Sonja; and genius, brain-damaged, beautiful, talented Joan - struggles with love, openness and honesty until Joan opens their eyes.

Recommended by Margaret Atwood and by Salon.com, this story had me expecting to be as spellbound as I was when reading Geek Love. However, despite the book's interesting perspective and plot line,...more
Corey
A novel that rolls around in its own eccentricity like a happy dog in high grass. Gowdy loves her oddball characters and the reader cannot help but love them, too.
jessica malice
I like the concept. There were parts of the book I enjoyed. If it had been by an author unfamiliar to me I suspect I would have rated it higher. Having dearly loved some of Barbara Gowdy's other works, though, I'm a bit disappointed.

Passages I marked:
It was something else, the look in her eyes. Bloodshot, boiling, as if she were letting Doris see right into her arteries.

He himself doesn't play an instrument, but if he did it would be the piano for how it is capable of simultaneously reproducing...more
lana
It's a quick and easy read. Not particularly original or demanding, but it's an amusing way to spend an afternoon. The characters are interesting and the end of the book is definitely its strongest part. I heard it compared to Geek Love, and though the daughter is a 'freak,' she is not so in the Geek Love sense. In a sense, her 'normal' family members are much stranger than she.
Linda
Second book I've read by this author. First was great. This one was tedious and "precious". Seemed like the author was trying too hard. Finished it though, but only by slogging through. Started off good, but felt forced very quickly.
Kailin
This is one of my favourite novels. a dysfunctional family that decides that it really isn't dysfunctional at all! beautiful characters, sometimes i think that i might have known them, at some point, sometime.
Melani
I hate giving Barbara Gowdy one star, but this book didn't come together for me. I'm quitting on page 52. I would probably force myself to finish were it not for the fact that I have exhausted the number of renewals the library allows. And, that reveals a lot - I had a total of 48 hours on planes and in airports during the time I had it, desperately wanted an escape, and still couldn't stick with the story. The eccentricities of the characters and the cuteness of details seemed just a little too...more
Liz
Having read Gowdy's 'Helpless' awhile back, I was quite excited to give 'Mister Sandman' a whirl. I am of mixed feelings of this story.

I absolutely love Gowdy's writing style. This woman knows how to make you turn a page. At under 300 pages she tells a wholly complete story; I love a concise writer. I also found most of the characters very rooted in reality. The passages devoted to the juxtaposing sister, the seemingly asexual Sonja and the promiscuous Marcia, I found particularly appetizing.

How...more
Robert Beveridge
Barbara Gowdy, Mister Sandman (HBJ, 1996)

Mister Sandman was a Publishers' Weekly Best Book of 1996, and it's easy to see why. Gowdy's third novel (and fourth book) is an engaging look into a world the is both completely warped and so close to the surface of reality that sometimes it's hard to remember that what's on the page is fiction.

Mister Sandman is the story of the Canary family, who are your basic everyday family. At least, they would be if life were a David Lynch film. Gordon, the patriar...more
Kayla Rae Whitaker
The story is complex, so we'll start with the family: a mother, a father and their two girls, one of whom is fifteen and recently lost her virginity (albeit somewhat unwittingly; she turns to the man directly thereafter and gasps, "Did we go all the way?"). Oldest daughter becomes pregnant. Mother and daughter travel to the nursing home where an elderly aunt is staying, and the daughter gives birth in a basement room where not a year earlier, an elderly woman named Alice killed herself, etching...more
Debbie
Publisher synopsis: “The Canary family are unlike any other. Joan is exquisite, tiny, mute, plays the piano like Mozart and lives in a closet. Marcy is a nymphomaniac, while Sonja earns a fortune clipping hair-grips to cardboard and knits compulsively. Their parents keep their own habits secret for as long as they can.”

The secrets of the parents are that Gordon is homosexual and Doris likes to sleep with other women. The story reaches its climax when Joan reveals them to each other.
Well-written,...more
M
People think of Barbara Gowdy as a master of quirky characters and weird situations, and that's true enough.
Better, though, is the humanity and 'realness' she gives to characters and their admittedly extraordinary situations.
This novel, about a family that does not put the fun in dysfunctional, shows her at her best.
Astute, lovely, and poignant.
Rose
The story of a queer little family - encompassing both meanings of that word - and the secrets they've built their lives around. The style of this book really grew on me -- kind of rambly, lots of tangents and seemingly unimportant information sprinkled everywhere. Messy. But the mess starts to cohere, and flow, and take what you were expecting into another direction entirely (over and over again). I liked that, a lot. There's a feeling of inevitability to the ending, which is strange because it...more
Julia
(Review Notes written 1998) What a wild, weird, fascinating book! The Canary family is like no other; homosexual parents who have successfully hidden their homosexuality from each other, daughters Marcy and Sonya and Joan, daughter of Sonya who has been brought up as the third sister. was dropped on her head at birth and is brain-damaged but she talks (not talks, but communicates) only to sister Marcy and with sounds, not words. She imitates all the sounds around her, and she is also able to pla...more
Juliet
A uniquely quirky exposition of family relationships. I would have given five stars if Sonja had more page time, but I suspect her absence was deliberate. Definitely an over exemplification of many family situations, but that's what made it fun, and quirky, and memorable. I adore Barbara Gowdy.
Carol-Anne Nielson

I found myself deeply immersed in the story. Barbara Gowdy's invention of this sad, unconventional family with odd but understandable problems is edgy, poignant, and eccentric. It's a real accomplishment.
Doreen
The good: very readable, with lovely language and a fast pace. Ms Gowdy also treats her characters with a benevolence that I felt was deserved, as she successfully portrays them as a family trying to muddle through life while doing the least harm.

The bad: the ending. I don't remember whether I had similar reservations about The White Bone, but the ending was strange. It wasn't exactly abrupt or awkward, just a little less kind than I thought the rest of the novel was. Maybe that's just me, but t...more
Tanya
Ann Douglas
I didn't enjoy this novel as much as I thought I would. It's hailed as being funny. I'd have to correct that by saying that it's mildly funny in a dark way (and I like dark humour). Intriguing characters, but not a particularly memorable or enjoyable read.
Louise
When I began to read this book I thought "no, I'm not gonna like this one". Lo and behold, several pages into it I was captured.

This is kind of an odd, quirky story which centers around a family of 5 people growing up in Toronto in the 1950's. The relationship between Gordon, Doris, Sonja, Marcy and Joan is dysfunctionally odd at best. Each of them has "secrets" from each other BUT along comes wee Joan and all those precious secrets that they each tried to protect are revealed in a way that is...more
Guy
One of the best opening paragraphs to a novel in the English language! And a fun, engaging read.

Here's how the book starts:

Joan Canary was the Reincarnation Baby. Big news at the time, at least in the Vancouver papers. This is going back, 1956. Joan was that newborn who supposedly screamed, "Oh, no, not again!" at a pitch so shrill that one of the old women attending the birth clawed out her hearing aid. The other old woman fainted. She was the one who grabbed the umbilical cord and pulled Joan
Lyndsie
This novel is such a hidden gem! One of the professors in my MFA program recommended this to me and it's now one of my favorite books. This book is up there with Katherine Dunn's Geek Love and Angela Carter's Magic Toyshop. Gowdy is able to write about a family of characters that are deeply complex. There are unusual and beautiful scenes of a family playing in the yard at night because the youngest child is so sensitive to the sun, and Gowdy is able to balance and delve deep into each character'...more
Binchic
This was a book that was on the synapsis for my Modern Lit class in University. I never did find the time to read it while I was in school, but a couple of years later I decided to give it a go.

While this book is not a genre that I would generally gravitate towards, there was something stark and compelling about this novel. The characters somehow manage to be relatable and outlandish all at the same time.

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so all I will say is, think outside of the box and p...more
Melissa Somerton
I like everything by Barbara Gowdy. Her characters are always convincing and always completely unique. Somehow, she can ignore the rule of "write what you know" and still have her odd storylines and people ring true. I mean, unless she knows what it's like to be an autistic, albino child how lives in a closet and can recreate any sound she hears...It's not super complex reading but very satisfying. Great for rainy sunday reading where you have the whole day to get through a really cool story wit...more
Yvonne
What if you have dark and very private secrets, and it would be appalling, life-shattering if your family learned your secrets? What if you have a family member who is so totally lovable and special that she is adored by each and every member of the family? And what if she hears and absorbs everything -- and innocently tells everyone's deepest secrets to everyone? Will the family crash? Will everyone hate the blabbermouth?
Teena
Unusual book - I'm not sure how to classify it. I think it would be in the "literary" group in a reading list but this doesn't really give any hint to what it is really like. A family saga set in the 50s to 70s; unusual quirky characters; no main protagonist but instead sections of the book are written from the view of different members of the featured family. Humorous, poignant, worth reading.
Barbara
Not quite what I'd expected of a Governor General's Award-winning book, definitely not that deep, moving Lawrence/Atwood-esque stuff.
But it's quite good in its own quirky way. I wonder if it got lots of points for originality in the plot?
Erin
I'm assuming I picked this up because I read a great review of it somewhere. It was....interesting. A bit odd, but well-written and intriguing. Make that a LOT odd. But an interesting look at family life from a "Geek Love" sort of perspective.
Vicki
I have to say that I was not prepared for some of the content - but hey - I guess all families have crazy people in them. ha ha ... I can't say much more than that without giving content away. In the end, it was worth the read.
Cheryl
Joan is my favourite character. I just skimmed the rest of the sections just focusing on how this character developed. Barbara Gowdy creates a wonderfully believable but flawed cast of characters. I loved revisiting them.
  • A Jest of God
  • Light Lifting
  • Cockroach
  • Such Is My Beloved
  • Elizabeth and After
Barbara Gowdy is a Canadian novelist and short story writer. Born in Windsor, Ontario, she is the long-time partner of poet Christopher Dewdney and resides in Toronto.
More about Barbara Gowdy...
The White Bone The Romantic We So Seldom Look on Love Helpless Falling Angels