Start by marking “The Great Divide” as Want to Read:
The Great Divide

The Great Divide (Marcus Glenwood #1)

When attorney Marcus Glenwood resigns from a prestigious corporate law firm to retreat to a small town in North Carolina and rebuild his life after a devastating personal tragedy, he suddenly finds himself in the biggest and most emotionally difficult case of his career.
Fragile and spiritually wounded, Glenwood is introduced to Alma and Austin Hall, whose daughter Gloria h
Published April 6th 2011 by WaterBrook (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Divide

Debbie Phillips
Feb 12, 2014 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
This is the first in a series of 3 books by one of my favorite authors.

Unfortunately I read book 3 of the series first. I was given a copy free in order to review it on my blog. I had a hard time making myself read it because book 3 had given away some of the story. But, once I determined that I was going to MAKE myself finish I really got into it and polished it off in only a couple days.

Bunn writes Christian fiction with a very adventurous flair. His books are always exciting and full of actio
Alsie
Feb 09, 2016 Alsie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-at-english, 2016
It was a little hard to get into for me with the law themes and the court case sessions (which I find rather boring reading or watching.), but once I got into it, it was suprisingly better than I thought it would be. The characters were well formed and real, the plot didn't purely stick to the court case and had a few subplots, which made things interesting, and I like the way Bunn makes you question things, therefore giving you the urge to read on to discover what happens. :)

Also I loved the wa
Tim Chavel
Jul 23, 2014 Tim Chavel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this book. first the only bad part of my review. I buy lots of books at GoodWill. Several years ago I bought a book by T. Davis Bunn by the title Winner Take All and when I started reading read it the book did not make sense. It took be a lot of searching to find this was the third in a series by Bun. I wished the books made note of this.

This novel The Great Divide is a story about a college student who while working on her thesis finds some wrong doing in a factory in China
Shakaela
Feb 02, 2016 Shakaela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this for English; at first I was really bored by it, especially how most of the book is set in a courtroom with people discussing endlessly. Close to the end it gets GOOD. I'm grateful I read it now because I learnt much about slave labour practices. For me it wasn't a legal "thriller" at all.
Cathy
Jan 05, 2017 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Christian fiction at its best. Engaging, suspenseful and well research - an enjoyable read!
Liz
Sep 29, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very engaging and quick read. Reminded me in some ways of John Grisham's early work, especially "A Time to Kill."
Lavender Dreamer
I liked this book a lot and was hoping the author would write more with these characters. Lots of great details and a 'clean' book to read. I appreciated that!
Keri
Sep 11, 2011 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I couldn't decide whether to breeze through it, or savor it. Bunn's descriptive writing is unlike any other book I have ever read. I plan to continue reading all the books I can get from this author. The subject matter was also unlike any book I had ever read, dealing with unfair labor/trade practices in China and human rights issues for workers in that country. It is full of action, mystery and you don't have to read very far to really care about the characters involved. I ca ...more
Mary
Jan 05, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal
I got a Kindle for Christmas. I wanted to learn how to check out ebooks from the library and this one happened to be available. I had never read anything by Bunn before, but I figured I had nothing to lose since it didn't cost anything to give it a try. I was hooked from the first chapter, which was painful and riveting. The plot basis was fascinating -- international trade laws, human rights issues in China, Samson and Goliath. The writing wavered between courtroom drama and a soulful search fo ...more
B.J. Nicol
Mar 28, 2016 B.J. Nicol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Love the characters. Love the story. Love the writing.

Broken people, attempting to pick up the pieces of their broken lives with the help of a man who himself is so broken, it is hard to imagine he will be their savior.

The plot will keep you turning the pages long after you should have gone to bed. The characters are so imperfectly real, you will be crying with them, laughing with them, grimacing with their pain and rooting for them to win. Some do win, and realistically, some do not. But that
Pbwritr
Aug 21, 2010 Pbwritr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The book starts out with a scene in China, and a young American woman being kidnapped and forced to labor under severe privation in a factory. That really drew me in. Unfortunately, we never got back to Gloria again. But her parents believe something untoward happened to her and hired an attorney to prove that the Chinese company is the cause of her disappearance. Definitelly very intricate weaving of clues and motives and denials and people involved.
Abbie McAdams
Apr 06, 2014 Abbie McAdams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of the best!

Absolutely one of the best!

This is one of the best books I've ever read. The story draws you in and keeps you so much, I found myself thinking about the book when I was away from it. It's a perfect blend of multicultural and multinational and very current using the subject of slave factories in China. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an engrossing book to read.
Lin
May 01, 2013 Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, did-i-read
Loved this book, couldn't put it down, 3AM and I was still reading.
I don't often read books where the story is based on an attorney's life, but Bunn made his characters so real. I know the book started with Marcus retreating to a small town in North Carolina and rebuilding his life. He takes the case of the Halls, whose daughter disappeared while in China. He learns how the town pulls together and fights to help him and the Halls.

John Porter
A lawyer who is emotionally distraught after recent tragedy is convinced to take a case pitting his small town client (well, clients' daughter) against a powerful, faceless, international firm. Complexities and international intrigue ensue. So, basically, it's a Grisham book written by someone Not Named Grisham. But it's an okay Grisham book (written by someone Not Named Grisham).
Paul Hollingsworth
This book drew me in, and I stayed up very late last night because I wanted to finish it up. Really felt for the main character, and kept wondering if he was going to pull things out or crash and burn. Set in Rocky Mount, NC which is near enough to feel local, but not so close that I knew exactly where/what they were talking about to try and pick things apart.
Elaine
Feb 03, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Characters - some sad, some devastated, some vindictive, some manipulating in this story of a kidnapped girl in China and a mega industry of the US

this story is beautifully woven so that when the suspense gets too high, or the protagonist is too stressed the author interjects a beautiful, soothing scene - not too long, judt enough to settle the beating heart.
Brenda
Dec 16, 2011 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing-com
I read this book so I could move it along. The story was ok. I found myself wanting to be done with the book because near the end I was feeling the author was stretching the story out. If you like lawyer stories this book is good. Ifound that some of the characters really did not have strong backbones. This book did get me thinking about work conditions in the textile industry.
Beth
Nov 22, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was very current and relatable. Main character was well developed and held true through out the novel. Descriptions of factories and practices had to be researched in order for the believability level to be consistent. Thought the involvement of high level members of another country brought to accountability on US soil added to the readers by in of the storyline.
Megan
Sep 20, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attorney Marcus has been through a painful divorce and family tragedy. He moves back hom to small town NC to recover. There he discovers a wild case involving sporting good supplies, slave labor in China, and a board of directors hiding in Geneva. This novel was recommended by World Magazine and I enjoyed it.
Maryjane
Aug 29, 2011 Maryjane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having read 5 chapters, finished another book in 2 days, and have started reading yet another that I can't put down (The Help) this is getting a thumbs down from me.

Having read Kingdom Come which T.Davis Bunn co-authored with Larry Burkett I had high hopes for this book.
Diane
Mar 20, 2010 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trial to find a young woman who is believed to be held against her will by a factory in China which makes tennis shoes and clothing for a big U.S. company. Provides background about business relationships with Chinsese companies and U.S. companies looking the other way.
Bonnie
Jul 16, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read (or rather listened to) one other book by this author and this one looked interesting. I liked it a lot and got very interested in the story. I appreciated the lack of sex and foul language as well as an involving story line. I have a weakness for lawyer books and this one was fun.
Mandy
Jun 11, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good novel in John Grisham-esque style, with some international politics thrown in. The main group of characters were very realistically human. This is my first book by this author and I plan to read more.
Randy Alcorn
T. Davis Bunn kept me up past 1:00 AM two nights in a row. I don’t regret the lost sleep for a moment! The Great Divide is a gripping courtroom drama, raising concerns of immense importance. It held me right to the end.
Robin Patchen
Feb 17, 2014 Robin Patchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like courtroom dramas, you'll love this. Marcus is such a well-written, flawed character. I love the way Bunn makes each character so unique. No cardboard, no stereotypes, no surface-deep emotions, but true to life people you can pull for (or despise, as the case may be.) Well done.
Gayle
This was one of the best Christian fiction novels I've ever read. It opens up the subject of slave labor, selfless sacrifice, and is a great mystery along the way. I've not liked all of Bunn's books but this one was excellent.
Sherron
Oct 07, 2008 Sherron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
T. Davis Bunn's books are riveting, clean, and all based in North Carolina.
Karen
Jan 26, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was excellent. The author is a Christian but the book isn't preachy . .it has a great plot and lots of courtroom drama. I'm definitely going back for more of his!
Stephanie Blackbern
I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham
Danette
Aug 31, 2008 Danette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated a 'legal thriller' that wasn't so graphic. The romance story line was random and didn't fit in well to the over all story. Hurray for a main character who stands up for good.
  • My Soul to Keep
  • False Witness
  • The Trial
  • Presumed Guilty
  • Ghost Writer
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Marcus Glenwood (3 books)
  • Drummer In the Dark