Start by marking “The Invention of the World” as Want to Read:
The Invention of the World

The Invention of the World

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Fiction. In the beginning a bull-god begets Donal Keneally, and a giant is born amongst neolithic standing stones on an Irish hilltop. The legendary Keneally brings an entire Irish village to Canada, founding a utopian society, the Revelations Colony of Truth, amid the forests of Vancouver Island. Almost a century later, the gorgeous Maggie Kyle steps out of the bush, to r ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Ronsdale Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Invention of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invention of the World

Caitlin
This took me awhile to get through. Truthfully, I still don't know if I have it all sorted out which is, I think, rather true the progression of the narrative anyway.

It is a story about Donal Keneally, a god-like figure and his colony, the Revelations Colony of Truth, somewhere on Vancouver Island. It is also a story about Maggie Kyle, in many ways Keneally's opposite. She inhabits the colony after it has been abandoned and cares for the many of the people who have been abandoned with it.

The na
Jess Legacy
The Invention of the World is the type of book I dream about writing. But if I never write anything similar I can't be disappointed, because Jack Hodgins did it perfectly.
Trying to imagine how Hodgins created this world is humbling. These characters are incomplete, complicated, and confused, just like the rest of us. This book starts out as a story full of action. It then becomes a comedy, a mystery, and suddenly somewhere along the way you realize that you're learning something about humanity
Cherop
I read this book long ago but it made such a positive impression on me that I have since recommended it to so many other people to read. I will have to read again, many years later, and see if I still like the book.
Okmama
I read this many years ago, but have wonderful memories of the joyous jumble of characters. This book really captures Vancouver Island as I remember it from childhood visits.
Guy
I wanted to like this book more than I did. Good, but not great.
Mila
Started out good but got to be tedious.
Ibis3
Aug 02, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NCL.2006-10-01
Ali Meghji
Ali Meghji marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jhauptma
Jhauptma marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Aleks
Aleks marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Midori
Midori marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Ng Sieow
Ng Sieow marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Rennie
Rennie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Ola
Ola marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Cathyd
Cathyd marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Carly Doenges
Carly Doenges marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Darren Barefoot
Darren Barefoot marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Novelist and short story writer Jack Hodgins lives on Vancouver Island where until recently he taught fiction writing at the University of Victoria. Raised in the small rural community of Merville in the Comox Valley, he graduated with a B.Ed from the University of British Columbia, and taught high school in Nanaimo between 1961 and 1981. He was a Visiting Professor at the University of Ottawa bet ...more
More about Jack Hodgins...
Broken Ground A Passion for Narrative: A Guide to Writing Fiction - Revised Edition The Master Of Happy Endings The Resurrection of Joseph Bourne Spit Delaney's Island: Selected Stories (New Canadian Library)