Start by marking “Gifts from the Sea” as Want to Read:
Gifts from the Sea

Gifts from the Sea

Quila MacFarlane is devastated by the death of her mother, especially now that it’s just her and her father on Devils Rock where her father is the lighthouse keeper. They can’t leave and almost no one ever comes to visit them. But the morning after a storm, something floats ashore that changes their lives forever: Two small mattresses strapped together, and inside, a baby! ...more
Published June 14th 2005 by Yearling (first published 2003)

Nora Wilcox
Oct 29, 2014 Nora Wilcox rated it it was amazing
I think this book was amazing, because it made me want to read more and more. In my opinion, this book was okay at first, because at first the writer said that the mother died and that made me depressed and a little uncomfortable. But after the first chapter it got really interesting, because it was talking about how Quilas mother died affected Quila's life. This writing is powerful, because it tells how powerful love is. I would recommend this book for people who like it when the people in the ...more
Joan
Apr 29, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it
Very sweet children's book set in 1858 about a girl and her father who live on an isolated island in Maine because he is the lighthouse keeper there. It is based on a true story and was very enjoyable to read.
Jeana
Jun 14, 2009 Jeana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bianca
This was such a sweet little book. I grabbed it at the library with a bunch of other books for Bianca to read while she's off track. When I looked at the back of the book and read about the author's inspiration, I had to read it. It takes place on a small island in Maine in the mid-1800's about the daughter of a Lighthouse keeper.

The language was pretty; the story sweet and tender and truthful.
Carol Royce Owen
May 17, 2014 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
Another beautiful gift from Natalie Kinsey-Warnock. This story tells of a young girl who lives on an island in Maine, where her father tends the lighthouse. The story starts on the day she and her father have buried her mother, and 12 year old Quila is certain that she can never be happy again. What she doesn't know is that she and her father are soon to receive an amazing gift from the sea - a baby who somehow survived the sinking of a ship in a storm.

The baby, Cecelia, lifts them from their d
Katielin317
May 11, 2015 Katielin317 rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this book when I was looking to read "Gift from the Sea"by Lindbergh. So I put this book on hold by accident from the library and figured I may as well read it. Well, I loved it. It is actually young adult literature, and I think it would be perfect for an 11 or 12 year old girl, as that is the protagonist's age. Such a wonderful story of loneliness, love, hope and selflessness as this young girl experiences far more than any girl of her age ought to.
Chris
Nov 16, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
This story takes place in 1850 where Quila a 12 year old girl lives with her father, a light house keeper, on a remote island off the coast of Maine. Quila's mother has just died and now Quila must take on the adult tasks of cooking, cleaning and the other endless chores involved with keeping up a light house on this lonely island. One day after a severe storm, something washes ashore that changes her life forever. It is a baby who Quila and her father lovingly name Cecelia, which means gift fro ...more
Camden  Casarico
Aug 24, 2015 Camden Casarico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review won't be very long because I don't have much I can express about this book....BECAUSE I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I have read it a total of 6 times since the 5th grade. The last time I read it was freshman year of high school, where I read it in two hours.

I can't explain why I love this book so much; I have no idea. A simple---shall we say---children's story that is barely over 100 pages gives me the most joy I have ever felt for a book.

Maybe it's because I can relate to it so much. I love
Brenda Thompson
A short historical read about a lighthouse family and how tragedy and loss turn their lives around. Main character is 12 years old, she and her father suffer the loss of a loved one. Life without her mother is empty and her father is crushed by the death. But they receive a gift from the sea that will change their lives forever
Jenn
May 19, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it
I thought this was a book for my book club but I got the author wrong (as I see many others on goodreads did also) Once I figured it out I decided to read it aloud to my 7 & 9 year olds...they liked it. It is kind of a kids version of The Light Between Oceans but of course with a much happier ending.
Dori
May 14, 2014 Dori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has sat on my shelf for so long, as I've acquired more books it became almost forgotten. I'm glad I finally decided to pick it up today! Gifts from the Sea is such a sweet book that teaches how, from loss, there will always be something new.
Joan
Oct 24, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written short story of fiction that is based on real events-that seem like they could never happen.
A fast read on a cold night made this tale a joy for a brief interlude.
Alyson
Apr 14, 2014 Alyson rated it really liked it
For a short book, this covered a good chunk of time; I enjoyed it, though. (See http://www.eatreadandbemommy.com/2014... for my full review)
Priscilla
Oct 10, 2014 Priscilla rated it liked it
I really didn't like the book. I thought it was really boring. It could be improved by adding some adventure to it. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
Ann
Jan 21, 2016 Ann rated it liked it
A sweet children's book that is very "Celestine Prophecy" in the lovely way the universe sometimes works.
Abby Lewis
Mar 02, 2013 Abby Lewis rated it liked it
This was a cute book, and it had some memorable quotes and morals, but overall, I didn't find it amazingly satisfactory. It was decent for a book of its dimensions and size. I just kept getting distracted by the tangents that the author kept going off on. In her defense, they were relevent, but she never made it clear when she went back to the main story, and so I was constantly confused as to whether it was the present, the past, or the future the author was referring to.

It is a good read, espe
Mombeam
Jan 21, 2015 Mombeam rated it really liked it
Short and sweet story we read aloud at night. Old-fashioned "happy ending".
Marie
Oct 07, 2014 Marie added it
it was really good i loved it so much it took me less then a week to read!
Kathleen
Mar 06, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
This is a sweet, quick little read about family and adoption and learning to make and sustain ties of friendship, romance, and family. It's fairly predictable, and the language is very basic, as suits a children's book, but even for an adult it's a good read. There are a few story kinks that I didn't quite understand-- the woman who died and was buried on the island felt like it should have had some kind of resolution, as did the whole thing with the seals. Still, it's a sweet story. Maybe for a ...more
Debbie Hoskins
This is a beautiful book about a girl and her father, living alone in a Maine lighthouse in the 1850's. Their lives our profoundly changed when a baby washes ashore and they decide to keep her as part of their family.

The cover is from 1913, painted by an unknown painter. The inside drawings by Judy Pedersen match the tone of the story. This is an example of a book I like to call attention to those who like graphic novels. I don't think illustrated books get enough attention.

Joshlyn
Oct 16, 2009 Joshlyn rated it really liked it
Not what I expected. I thought this book was going to be a long, philisophical "find yourself" kind-of book. Happily it is a simple read, based around a true story. I felt very connected to the characters.
Hahaha Okay I just realized why I was totally not on the same page as everyone else with this book. I read a completly different book! I read GIFTSSSS from the Sea not GIFT(with no "s")
Okay you guys have got to read this book, it's great!
Kris
Jun 12, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, my-choice
A quick middle school read, grades 4-8 should enjoy it. 12-year-old Quila lives with her widowed father, a lighthouse keeper. After a storm, a bundle washes ashore on the lighthouse island with a baby inside. They decide to raise the baby and she brings happiness to the grieving family. 2 years later, a visitor comes to the island who may destroy this happiness. A charming story, however unlikely the scenario.
Liz B
Apr 28, 2013 Liz B rated it it was ok
Borrrrrrrring. I'm not sure what to do about this one--maybe there are certain (6th grade?) readers that this is perfect for. I would never offer it for 8th or even 7th grade. The problem is that I don't really like middle grade fiction all that much, so I'm not a good judge of what to buy or keep.

(And it's not that I don't like nice/ sweet stories...I do!)
Tara
Nov 30, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Excellent book for early middle school. The books takes place about a century ago, and though it is a simple story, it is well written and perfect for a shorter novel for teaching which can be hard to find. Excellent characters that you will grow to love. The time period is also a welcome change from our techno-laced society.
Kate Donegan
Oct 13, 2009 Kate Donegan rated it really liked it
It was a wonderful book!! Full of surprises!! I kind of knew he was going to do that thing he did in the end (The father) Wonderful wrighting and wonderful theme. I noticed the lesson in the end was family is all that matters and that it hurts to lose them but once a door closes another one opens. :)
Susan Clark-cook
Mar 08, 2013 Susan Clark-cook rated it it was amazing
Each chapter gives you something about life to think about either for the first time or anew. The connections she draws from shells to life is truly no only a "gift from the sea" but from her own life and mind. I love to reread this book as well and keep it near.
Abigail Lohmann
Sep 29, 2012 Abigail Lohmann rated it it was ok
It was.....ok. Doesn't make it to my top 20 book list. I needed something to read(desperately) and it deffinitly was a releif to read when I had absolutely nothing else:) But then again, that's my opinion, you might read it and it be your new favorite book.
Lisa
Feb 14, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
My students LOVE this book. Personally, I would give it three stars, but over the last 7 years or so, not one group has felt anything but love for it. This year's group was especially connected to the characters for some reason. It's a keeper!
Mar 27, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
i recieved this book in grade 4, but the story line is so good you can read it at any age. It's a girl-by-the-sea story... What would you do if you lived on a lighthouse island and have never even seen a tree?
Katie
Feb 01, 2011 Katie rated it did not like it
i meant to read GIFT FROM THE SEA.
maybe i would have liked this more if i hadn't had such high expectations.
many of the reviews for this book are actually talking about Gift(no 's') From the Sea.
Tara
Mar 20, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
  • Lap Dancing for Mommy: Tender Stories of Disgust, Blame and Inspiration
  • Anne Frank
  • Buddha
  • A Child's Calendar
  • Evidence of Angels
  • Snow Music
  • Emily's Good Nightmares (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Stevie
  • The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Ben's Trumpet
  • All Saints: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, & Witnesses for Our Time
  • Blues Journey
  • Recollections of My Life as a Woman: The New York Years
  • Wanda Gág: The Girl Who Lived to Draw
  • Chess Rumble
  • The Red Rose Box
My sister, three brothers, and I grew up on a Vermont dairy farm in a region known as the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, USA, where my Scottish ancestors settled almost two hundred years ago.

Our lives revolved around our church, our community, and the hard work of farming. Along with milking and feeding the animals each morning and evening, there was the work of each season: maple sugaring, plowing
More about Natalie Kinsey-Warnock...