Start by marking “Majestic” as Want to Read:
Majestic

Majestic

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  43 reviews

It is time for the truth to be told...

On July 2, 1947 something crashed in the desert outside of Roswell, New Mexico. An explosion of light and sound made the sheep wail, the chickens squawk, and the children scream. And then the ranchers heard a noise they thought could only have come from the devil himself.

For forty years, Majestic Agency director Wilfred Stone helped

Published October 1st 1990 by Berkley (first published December 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Majestic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Majestic

Stiff by Mary RoachDark Mission by Richard C. HoaglandBeyond the Body Farm by William M. BassThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanChicago Haunts by Ursula Bielski
Coast to Coast Am
66th out of 93 books — 15 voters
The Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
San Antonio Authors
96th out of 140 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Judith
Well I finally got to read the book 'MAJESTIC' by Whitley Srtriber.
It is a mostly fiction/factual account of the Rosewell Crash in 1947. To me, this book was one of the scariest books I have ever read. It scared me into horrible nightmares a couple of times. Be that as it may, it was really well written and easy to follow. It was very descriptive of the Rancher and his family, and the night out there in New Mexico desert where this event occured. Also of all the other Military and non-military p
Michelle
I kinda expected this to be a lot like the Steven Spielberg miniseries 'Taken' but it is so its own thing. Took me a while to get into it, but once it got going I was hooked.

Strieber has a talent for cooking up truly horrifying, unforgettable scenarios. They stay with you long after you read them.

I'd also like to add one more thing. One of the coolest things about Whitley Strieber is that he leaves the idea of the "visitors" open to interpretation. Are they aliens? Are they us, evolved? Are they
Cindy
This is a fictionalized account of the authors speculations of what occurred at Roswell and the actions and motivations behind that. There is a blend of the historical and fictional - sort of a "names have been changed to protect the innocent" kind of thing. Strieber proposes some interesting theories about the "others" - he never calls them aliens because frankly we can't say for sure that's what they are. There are plenty of other possibilities and he does not discount them. This was written a ...more
Tommy Gilley
I discovered this book in a small town grocery store exactly at the perfect time in my life. A little younger and the abstract symbolism would've been lost to me. A little older and my cynicism would have prevented me from just letting the book run wild in my mind. It's not a great book in form or content, but whenever I'm heading out for an expedition the audiobook of Majestic is the first thing I play; Even better if it's a night drive. It just sets a perfect tone of Mulder and mystery.

Give it
dragonhelmuk
Todd
Majestic is Whitley Strieber’s historical thriller about the events in Roswell in 1947 and the creation of the alleged secret intelligence organization called Majestic. The novel follows discredited journalist Nicholas A Duke as he dutifully, if not somewhat skeptically at first, informs the public of what really happened when Mac Brazel stumbled across the strange debris while working the ranch for which he was foreman.

As Duke records the confessions or chronicle of Wilfred Stone, former direc
Dwayne Caldwell
Zoltán
Volt egy időszak életemben, úgy nagyjából az általános iskola vége és a középiskolai tanulmányok első fele táján, amikor a kutatói alkatot általában jellemző ellenállhatatlan vonzalom az új, az ismeretlen felé nagyrészt a paranormális és a földönkívüli jelenségekről szóló irodalom habzsolásában nyert kielégülést. Az érdeklődés azóta sem enyészett el teljes mértékben, csupán a nézőpont változott: ma már sokkal inkább a jelenség szociológiai oldala mozgatja a fantáziámat.
Így visszatekintve is azt
Thomas Strömquist
I read a couple of Strieber's early horror books a long time ago and then very cautiosly picked up the very strange and surprising Communion: A True Story and Transformation: The Breakthrough, in which the author claimed to have been abducted by aliens. For real. Majestic came somewhere in the close aftermath of those, and while this one is a fictitious story (or is it?) it did not get much better or more readable in my opinion. The "truth" about Roswell. Again.
Greg
This book is an account of Roswell incident written from the point of a reporter interviewing a Mr. X like character from the government who wants the "true story" to be told before he dies of lung cancer. The author seems to have started with alleged facts (which could also be called a ficiton by some) and then filled in the gaps with information that he had come to believe true during his experiences described in Communion and Transformation.

I enjoyed some aspects of the book, and I have come
Brielle Boulanger
I read about halfway and decided that I wasn't enjoying it. Too much army crap. Boring.
Olethros
-Ficción disfrazada de ficción para parecer menos ficción.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción (supongo yo…).

Lo que nos cuenta. Al final de su vida, y a través de un supuesto periodista que en realidad buscaba un artículo de relleno para el Día de los Inocentes, Wilfred Stone cuenta la verdad de cómo se manejó el incidente de Roswell en 1947 y confiesa sus propias experiencias con inteligencias extraterrestres.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Wendy
This book gave me nightmares. Maybe because I'm a believer that we're not the only beings in the universe!
M. Joseph Murphy
One of Strieber's best-written books.
Dale Stonehouse
This was written as fiction only to give it protection from National Security oath violations on the part of whomever provided the documents Strieber was able to review. One of the characters, I'm not sure which, must have been based on James Forrestal, U.S. Secretary of Defense, who was "suicided" while confined to Bethesda Naval Hospital, allegedly because he wanted to testify before Congress that UFOs and aliens were real. The real question here is "who gave top-secret documents to Strieber a ...more
Richard
the kind of silly shit that as a teenager i lapped up but as an adult i groan over. not sure which age was more fun, teen or adult but either way this is silly shit
Edward
This book was slow at times and tedious to read. Laced with what many believe is documented fact that has been ridiculed by our government. Unfortunately Mr. Strieber frequently goes off course, adding fiction and conjecture to his work.

A rehash of his earlier work, which makes me wonder it this effort was written for the sake of publishing another book, and receiving another payday.

It had its moments, but not enough of them for me.

Ed
Donna
Jun 15, 2011 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conspiracy lovers, CIA haters, UFO believers
Recommended to Donna by: It was in a Bill Cooper lecture
I like the man's writing. No extraneous fluff, but enough interesting detail that you feel like you know the characters - or at least the type. But the main selling point of the book is (wink wink) it is supposed to be based upon the truth about Roswell, NM. Do I believe that? I don't know. Some reputable people that I respect believed it, but I have no direct experience so I guess I remain agnostic about it.
Casey
My favorite part was when the aliens abducted a fighter pilot and switched him into a woman's body because they thought it was a better match for his soul. This book is full of those kinds of frickin' weird gems. Whitley Strieber has a strange yet intelligent way of seeing the world. Very strange and wonderful story about shadowy government doings and believable conspiracies.
Erik Graff
Mar 23, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roswell or Strieber fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: sf
This is a fictionalization of much of what many students of the UFO phenomena take quite seriously as fact: the crash near Roswell, the recovery, the cover-up.

Having read a number of Strieber's novels, but not yet his Communion series of autobiographical contact books, I would not rate this as highly as WarDay.
Maureen
This is one of the better of Whitley Strieber's book. The title refers to a secret group within the government who amassed data on UFO's. Alot about Roswell and associated sites in here. If you are in the mood for little grey people and government conspiracy, this is the book for you
John
This book delves deeply into the Governments UFO conspiracy. It is pretty well put together and mostly believable. Not as scary as Communion but an interesting read.

It start with formation of the OSS in WW2 and moves from Roswell all the way to the mid 80's.
David Harry
Magical, thought provoking, well written. This is a wonderful story for anyone who enjoys the mystery and unknown world of extraterrestrials. Readers should be able to immerse themselves in a majestic tail that's out of this world.
Chris Lunt
This is one of my favourite books, I must have read it half a dozen times. If you're interested in UFO's and the Roswell incident you'll find a real page turner here. It's one of those books that stays with you long after you put it down.
Beverly Laude
Not as good as I expected...enjoyed "Taken" and "The Roswell Incident" much more. Too disjointed, not sure if Strieber was trying for fiction or fact.
Thom Dunn
Subtitle: A Novel. The Narrator claims all this is true, but if he put it out as anything but fiction, government forces would dispatch him.
Roberta Fennig
One of my all time favorites. Whitley you are a genius. I know this book has more fact than you admit to. Dr. Roberta Fennig. El Paso TX
Paul
Beautifully written. Wonderful perspective of a historical/cultural event that has touched mankind on a deeply profound archetypal level.
Thom Foolery
Interviewed in A Magical Universe, fascinating look at Roswell and possible contact with "Others"
Lea Ryan
Totally awesome and tripped out weird. Roswell aliens messing with military men.
  • Missing Time
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • The Stairway to Heaven (The Earth Chronicles, #2)
  • The Day After Roswell
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Earth: An Alien Enterprise: The Shocking Truth Behind the Greatest Cover-up in Human History
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • Gods of Eden
  • Third from the Sun
  • Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience
  • Independence Day: Silent Zone
  • UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record
  • Glynis Has Your Number: Discover What Life Has in Store for You Through the Power of Numerology!
  • The Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved
  • Sports in America
  • Scarlet Traces
  • Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...
The Wolfen Communion: A True Story The Hunger (Hunger, #1) Warday 2012: The War For Souls

“In the eyes of the others we who met them saw ourselves. And there were demons there.” 6 likes