Start by marking “The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #1-2)

The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children #1-2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  2,764 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
This is a boxed set of Jean Auel's first two mega-literary hits in mass-market paperback form--both ensconced within slipcase.
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses

Wierdo14
May 04, 2008 Wierdo14 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This series is by far my FAVORITE set of books ever written. Auel just creates a totally believable story - you can envision these people living, discovering and evolving with every turn of the page. I think it read it for the first time back in 1990 but I would have to say that I have re-read the series everytime a new book comes out and then even a couple times in between. I would recommend this book to anyone although as you get into the second book and beyond there is some adult content that ...more
Miss Amanda
Feb 01, 2011 Miss Amanda rated it it was amazing
I read this because my grandmother read it and I wanted to feel closer to her, to have something in common with her as an adult now that she's gone.
I think every woman should read this as they get about 25-30. The descriptions of the land, plants, animals and methods is very good and not too scientific as to be boring.
Even though the society is prehistoric the humanity and sociology are the same, a very good and well written coming of age story. The second book sees the heroine strike out onto
Gloria Roach
Apr 23, 2011 Gloria Roach rated it really liked it
I've read the first three books in this series several times before but every time I read them again it's like the first time. I've started reading the series for the third time and I finished Clan of the Cave Bear on April 4th. I think it is a well written book that holds one's interest. I started reading Valley of Horses on April 4th and I am halfway through this book. It is not quite as exciting as the first book mainly to me because there are so few characters in it, but it keeps me absorbed ...more
Faedyl
Dec 17, 2014 Faedyl rated it it was amazing
En 2009 habìa conseguido las tres primeras partes de una saga que luego me enterè, habia sido reeditada en diferentes volùmenes. Decidì conseguir las nuevas ediciones en caso que haya sido remasterizada y releer completa. En el 2013 en la feria del libro conseguì todos los volùmenes nuevos y la retomè desde cero.

El clan fue un libro que me encantò. Dicen que la pelìcula apesta, pero en mi opiniòn, siempre estuvo muy documentado, esto lo puede decir cualquiera que haya leido un poco de prehistori
C.J. Prince
I loved the first book but after that it seemed like the publishers told her to add more sex. Nothing wrong with sex but please, this went overboard. An aside: I was called to audition for the movie~because I was short and had a background in physical theatre. Good thing it didn't pan out. My theatre mentor played the shaman. Only a few scenes. It was shot in Canada and was freezing cold. PLUS the movie sucked.
amanda
Mar 01, 2012 amanda rated it liked it
all i remember about this series was the sex. i don't think i ever finished the series and i'm not sure that i'll continue now, but this book served its purpose well
Rene
Jun 09, 2016 Rene rated it it was amazing
The first three books in the series are good (these two and "Mammoth Hunters). DON'T BOTHER READING THE REST!! They're garbage. I started reading the series in the 1980s and you could tell by the ever increasing length of time between title releases and the decline in the quality of plot and dialog that the author didn't want to write the series anymore. I don't know if she got tied into a contract or what, but you could tell that her heart wasn't in it anymore. Spoiler: they live happily ever a ...more
Deb
Sep 06, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Jean Auel has done an awesome job at making each of the Earths Children books stand alone. This also means a fair amount of repetition. If you were reading them in the years they were published as I first did, it is a nice reminder. However, if you are reading them in rapid succession as I am now, it can be kind of annoying.

Another thing that takes away from this series beginning with this second book is the amount of erotica in the book. My 12 year old was reading the first one with me; however
Heather
Feb 11, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
I have hte valley of horses but not the clan of the cave bears. The first one (clan of hte cave bears) is about a native tribe who find a blonde haired human from a differnt very scarse clan. They take her in and have her adapt to there way of live. They teach her about plants and being a good wife and living in there world. The very end she goes off to find her own kind.
This is were the 2nd book picks up. She is a grown women on here own. She lives in her own cave near a wild heard of horses.
Maki
Jun 30, 2014 Maki rated it it was amazing
The second in the series of Clan of the Cave Bear. The main character grows up in this book and has another adventure. Fabulous, again a bit too much description of the surroundings but great story.
Ambrey Nichols
Sep 11, 2014 Ambrey Nichols rated it really liked it
The second book has been interesting learning about the "Others" sounds more like how we are. A fun ready and looking forward to reading the other books in the Earth's Children series.
Elizabeth Armstrong,
Aug 27, 2014 Elizabeth Armstrong, rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the understanding and spiritual connection with nature depicted in this book. It is evident Jean M. Auel did her research for the novel and enjoyed what she did.
Tammy Kennett
May 08, 2015 Tammy Kennett rated it it was amazing
These stories are great stories. These stories I really think can be a great encouragement esp to someone who might be somewhat different from others they are around.
Sheena
Mar 30, 2008 Sheena rated it it was amazing
Yes, it's a bit far fetched that a young woman singlehandedly invented spear throwers and sewing needles, discovered fire stones, and domesticated animals all before she turned 19 way back in pre-history...BUt these are my all time favorite books that I reread every year or two. Ayla is the main character who is raised by Neanderthals after her family dies in an earthquake. She eventually travels off into the wilderness and all the books in the series describe her adventures. Be prepared for som ...more
Rebecca Angel
Feb 18, 2014 Rebecca Angel rated it it was amazing
The Valley of the Horses is hands-down the best book of the series. The best book of survival EVER. And the animals!
Amanda
Aug 22, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
well, i read this book over winter break when i was in mexico. just in case u were wondering... and it was really good!! Jean Auel writes a very fascinating story about well i guess cave men era people.. there more sophisticated than we think... anyway the premise is that this human girl is living with her people and then an earthquake squashes there village and she is the only survivor.. so she goess off looking for other people... and then it goes into talking about her new life with these cav ...more
Janet
Mar 14, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing
This series looks like it's going to be holding up to the first book.
Pam
Mar 15, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
A nice easy read, enjoyed it as much as the first.
Tina
Jan 23, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it
Romantic
Julia Fritz-endres
Oct 22, 2012 Julia Fritz-endres rated it liked it
Extremely interesting but slightly disturbing at times. I did read the next two novels, both of which I had digest in pieces as some sections were so inappropriate and infuriating that I refused to read them. It was a good experience, I learned a lot, and the moments before Auel tried to make the story into a very sappy and badly-written romantic novel were quite good. I recommend the first book (and perhaps the second if you must read it), but very tentatively and not with the rest of the serie ...more
Nicole Hughes
Sep 08, 2016 Nicole Hughes rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as the first one. Disappointing.
julia
Oct 03, 2007 julia rated it liked it
The first two of these were pretty good, vivid imagery and the idea of using the archeological record to create a story provided entertaining reads. then they started to get very redundant and I began to be vastly irritabled about how MANY THINGS the protagonist was "inventing" or figuring out. flint sparking fire, birth control and the bow and arrow, she basically had the education of that french boy who grew up with wolves but she's supposed to be the cavewoman einstein. It got old.
Anna
Dec 10, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
I read this series years ago when they first came out after living in Africa for six years. I had this connection with Ayla. I was kind of a tom boy in the hillsides of San Bernardino, California when it was undeveloped. Climbing tree and collecting lizards and bugs was my past time. Then living in Africa really put me there though Clan is about the European experience at the early time of man's evolution.
Siliconspider
Katharine
Nov 16, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it
A little slow at the beginning but, the second half was better. This is book two in the series the Clan of the Cave bears. Ayla was on her own after given the death sentence from her clan and in search of "the others". She befriends a horse and cave bear. Jondular is living his own life and is helped by Ayla who didn't speak his language or know his customs. That is where the romance begins.
Kylie Abecca
May 06, 2016 Kylie Abecca rated it it was amazing
Excellent series, extremely well researched. A great novel for readers struggling to find books out of young adult, but not quite ready for the full swig of some adult books. Highly recommend.
Ms. Vicki Smith
Dec 07, 2008 Ms. Vicki Smith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: adult
Adults Only! I was really surprised at how good this book (and the whole series) was. It depicted a very realistic portrayal of how I pictured life in the caveman's time, brutal and base, but still with some love and feeling. The movie that was made of it was AWFUL. I read an interview with Jean Auel and she hated the movie. If you must see it read the book first.
DD_Michael Martin
Jun 24, 2008 DD_Michael Martin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mygurls-- they think they have it rough....

Have you ever wondered what it might be like to live in pre-historic times, before the most-basic moder conveniences that we all take for granted and completely at the mercy of the whims of Mama-Nature? Nope, not me.....

Great story of the life of one newly minted human-girl in a world full of "troglodytes"-- Yeah, and all your neighbors are Cro-Magnon!=-o)
Rachel
Apr 17, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Well-researched Cro-Magnon romance adventure. She domesticates wolves! Invents math! Solves the mystery of human conception! Tames cave lions! Has a hot French ( ok it is not France yet) boyfriend! Then cheats on him with the only black man in Europe! Every bookish girl I know read these when she was young. I still indulge myself in them from time to time.
  • Articles about Earth's Children
  • The Incas: A Novel
  • The Tree People
  • Jew Süss
  • Dawn Wind
  • The Gladiators
  • Seek the Fair Land
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • The Rose Demon
  • The Bride Ransom (Civil War Brides, #4)
  • The Jazz Bird
  • Sukkwan Island
  • The Empress of Weehawken: A Novel
  • Songs for the Butcher's Daughter
  • The Spy
  • Nackt unter Wölfen
  • Night Trains
  • Der kleine Bruder
Jean M. Auel, née Jean Marie Untinen is an American author best known for her Earth's Children books, a series of historical fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe that explores interactions of Cro-Magnon people with Neanderthals. As of 2010 her books have sold more than 45 million copies worldwide, in many translations.

Auel attended University of Portland, and earned an MBA in 1976. She receiv
More about Jean M. Auel...

Earth's Children (6 books)
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)
  • The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #2)
  • The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3)
  • The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4)
  • The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #5)
  • The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6)