Start by marking “Loss of Eden: A Biography of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh” as Want to Read:
Loss of Eden: A Biography of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Loss of Eden: A Biography of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Drawing on newly available documentary evidence and her own investigative research, Milton offers new insight into the complex personalities of the Lindberghs and captures the controversy, excitement, love, and tragedy that defined their 45-year marriage. Photos.
Published March 1st 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Loss of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loss of Eden

Lynn Diane
Feb 07, 2013 Lynn Diane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history/true crime buffs
I started to read this book months ago but just couldn't get into it. Soooooo, I put it aside and forgot about it. Last week I watched a fascinating documentary on TV about the kidnapping I dug the book out and started again. It was fascinating! I couldn't put it down. It even brought back a childhood memory. The kidnapping happened 13 years before I was born, but my parents talked aboutd years it for years and years. As a very young girl, I was terrified that someone would get in our house, tak ...more
Mcwaguespack Waguespack
Jul 18, 2009 Mcwaguespack Waguespack rated it really liked it
Fascinating study of two people from completely different backgrounds and their roles in shaping American history. Anne was shy and bookish and privileged, while Charles was daring and lived by the seat of his pants. They both became pioneers of aviation and notable writers and survived the most famous kidnapping case of the century. I like reading well-written biographies not only because of the insightful psychological portraits, but also because I learn more about various periods of history.
Leslie
Jun 19, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok
While it was interesting information, it was boring reading! Took me forever it seems to finish it. I read other books while I was reading this one, just to stay alive. I did like the Aviator's Wife which was a fictional account of Anne Morrow Lindbergh.....but the two stories did not jive very well which was a disappointment too. I wouldn't recommend this book. It jumped around quite a bit and I found I had to count on the fiction book to keep myself aware of what was happening in the biography ...more
Diane Secchiaroli
Sep 07, 2013 Diane Secchiaroli rated it really liked it
Interesting read about 2 historical figures and the people around them. Appears to be well researched. Slow going at times but I was also reading a second book at the same time which could have contributed to a "lack of interest". Would recommend the book for those who are interested in Anne and Charles Lindbergh and their writings.
Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-shelf
Historian Joyce Milton centers this dual biography around the 1932 Lindbergh baby kidnapping, and makes an excellent case that Bruno Hauptmann, convicted and executed for murdering Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr, did so - but not alone.
Celia
Dec 17, 2014 Celia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good read. The early part about the life of Charles Lindbergh I found most interesting. However, I think the author failed to understand his later life.

This book was written before Berg's authorized biography and while Anne Morrow Lindbergh was still alive. The book did not seem to provide a full picture of the marriage of Anne and Charles Lindbergh and give all the reasons why the marriage failed and I think it is because Anne Lindbergh was still alive when the book was written.

The book
Trish
Sep 19, 2013 Trish rated it liked it
Charles Lindbergh was an interesting man. And the woman he was married to for 45 years was quite unique in her way. But this is not a great book. The author provides a ton of information but at times it is difficult to follow.

The book could use a through editing because there are many typos (must have been rushed to print).

The author only provides a cursory section of Lindbergh's historic flight which was disappointing. I'm assuming she feels that other writers have covered this subject includ
Willie Latane
Aug 28, 2016 Willie Latane rated it liked it
A bio of a very complex man who took to the skies to make history. He and his wife were involved in many projects, many of them flying, and many that were very controversial. It was interesting to find out just who this man was who flew across the Atlantic non-stop... pretty much the way he lived his life, non-stop.
Mzfitted
Details Details

This book begins with the Story of Charles Lindbergh parents and cover Anne Morrow Lindbergh Family then goes on to thoroughly cover their lives with not too much taken up by just the kidnapping. I found it interesting but bogged down at times with minutia of certain events.
Bill Martin
Aug 05, 2016 Bill Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written too soon

An interesting read and worth the time. The biggest shortcoming, and it is huge, is that it was written before the discovery of Lindbergh's "secret" families in Europe. That would certainly have changed the narrative and the dynamics of the marriage.
Misty
May 30, 2014 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long time coming

a great resource for some one interested in the history of aviation industry and political influence along with personal stories of grief and loss.
Evelyn
Aug 24, 2014 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A case of fame and fortune coming too easily? While an extremely interesting and attractive couple, they lacked a central guiding light for their life.
Anne Schell
Sep 22, 2016 Anne Schell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
History of everybody makes itcponfusing

Pictures felt physically weighed down by this book. The year jumping made it hard to follow as the the entire history of everyone
Elen Porter
Educational but a slow read

Long biography yet educational. The kidnapping and murder of CA Junior was well worth reading about. Great vacation reading. Well written.
Michael Harris
Jun 15, 2012 Michael Harris rated it liked it
APL Recycled Reads find. I have read the books written by Charles Lindbergh, other biographies and the Biography of Anne Morrow Lindbergh and found this well written but without any new information about this couple who were interesting and flawed individuals. The author did a good job covering all of the key periods in their life without bringing in any bias, a tough job given the subjects. It was a slow read but I'm glad I read it and now am done with Lindberghs.
Karen
Jan 02, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Good but somewhat long biography of the Lindberghs. I'd certainly recommend it to people who really like history books. One thing that drives me a little crazy is that are still open questions about the kidnapping that will most likely never be answered, but that's certainly not the author's fault.
Kynthia
Nov 12, 2013 Kynthia rated it it was amazing
Lengthy story about Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. This book reflects on the times and beginnings of the JP Morgan banking corp., the kidnapping 'truth' of baby Charles Jr. and the realities of unwanted fame in a young America. I found myself sympathizing with Charles in most of his beliefs and feeling Anne not having the freedom necessary to be more creative.
Melissa McKay
Sep 26, 2012 Melissa McKay rated it liked it
It was an easy and quick read. It gave good insights into the feelings of the country during their lives and expeditions. However, it glossed over some of their more troubling issues as a couple.
Linda Finger
Nov 15, 2014 Linda Finger rated it liked it
I too had a difficult time getting into the book. Have read many others since starting and finally just gave up, and I always finish a book. I will try again.
Marilyn
Jun 04, 2014 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: might-not-finish
Good read as far as I went, but it certainly bogged down about 3/4 way through. At some future time will probably give the last 1/4 a try.
Oct 16, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
So interesting. The Lindbergh family was a fascinating one, I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys historic novels.
Janet C.
Oct 15, 2013 Janet C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such sadness in the lives of Charles & Anne Morrow Lindbergh. In spite of the sadness, it's still a good read for anyone.
Rick Wormwood
Aug 04, 2012 Rick Wormwood rated it really liked it
This book isn't as indispensable on Charles as Berg's biography, but the shared focus on Anne sets it apart. An excellent book.
Pauline
Nov 17, 2013 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Interesting the unconventional life they led. Great sadness regarding kidnapping.
Martha
Mar 22, 2013 Martha rated it liked it
Not enough new material..engaging but not worth reading if you've read a lot about them already
Megan
June 24, 2005: re-started
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Roberta Bryant
Roberta Bryant marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Maureen Forsythe
Maureen Forsythe rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
  • Flower And The Nettle:: Diaries And Letters Of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1936-1939
  • Anne Morrow Lindbergh: Her Life
  • No More Words: A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds
  • A Place for Us: A Greek Immigrant Boy's Odyssey to a New Country and an Unknown Father
  • Hen Frigates
  • Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
  • Silver Woven In My Hair
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Lindbergh
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Mark Twain: Man in White: The Grand Adventure of His Final Years
  • Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës
  • Covered Wagon Women: Diaries and Letters from the Western Trails, 1840-1849 (Covered Wagon Women, #1)
  • Winston S. Churchill: Youth, 1874-1900 (Volume I) (Churchill Biography)
  • Without Lying Down: Screenwriter Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood
Joyce Milton is the author of several noted juvenile biographies, as well as the prize-winning novel, Save the Loonies.
More about Joyce Milton...