Start by marking “Raising Up a Family to the Lord” as Want to Read:
Raising Up a Family to the Lord

Raising Up a Family to the Lord

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  605 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
How can you teach your family with the Spirit of the Lord? How can you reach a wayward child? How can you hold more effective, enjoyable family home evenings? In Raising Up a Family to the Lord, Elder Cook teaches parents how to counter the destructive forces in the world we live in and explains how children can be taught to love the Lord.
Published August 1st 1993 by Deseret Book Company (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Up a Family to the Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Up a Family to the Lord

Trace
Dec 23, 2014 Trace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-booklist
I'm not a member of the LDS church, however I have a few friends who are Mormon and I've been long intrigued with their church (even though their beliefs differ widely from my own). I've long been impressed with their focus on family and teaching their young.

After reading this article, I was even more impressed: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2...

I picked up this book to learn more about the methods they employ in teaching their children gospel truths.

I was surprised to learn that there w
May 03, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was all in all a great practical book. The principles he talks about therein are not some grand new thing that will magically change our family but all the stuff we hear each week in church. He says not to skip the first chapter, but sorry, I don't need convincing again why I should be raising my family up to the lord, that is why I wanted to read this book in the first place. so don't feel bad if you skim it too.
I especially love all the personal stories and examples he uses from his own
Jan 21, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
I am fired up after reading this book! I feel empowered to really be able to use the tools the Lord has given us to raise our children up to the Lord. Loved the first half of the book the best. Lots of great examples about turning the children to the Lord when they need answers to life's problems. Loved the concept of how to transfer my generation's (or the Lord's) values to the next generation (my children). And I loved the ideas about making family scripture study better. I doubt I'll use all ...more
Jeanna
Jan 22, 2009 Jeanna rated it it was amazing
I read this book some years ago but had a great conversation about the book and listened to a talk by the author this weekend and remembered how much i had enjoyed the book. bro. cook gives great ideas on how to instill a love of the Lord in our children and teach them to rely on Him. i also liked his idea of the marking pencils at scripture study time for each person and pulled those back out. the kids are more engaged and can see how important we feel the scriptures are and develop their own r ...more
Julie
Jun 22, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Elder Cook and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but overall I thought this book was great. I really liked a lot of the suggestions and examples he gave. I felt like some chapters were better than others. He gave me some really great ideas and insights that I hope to implement in my family. I would like Robbie to read it, but am not forcing him to like I've done with other books that I really feel strongly about him reading.
Kay
Apr 03, 2014 Kay rated it liked it
I’m kind of cheating saying I’ve read this book because I didn’t really read the whole thing. We read it for our family book club, so I thoroughly read my two assigned chapters and reported on them and I read or skim- read the rest. Elder Cook gives lots of good ideas and examples- practical advice. Since he raised his family (as did I) a while ago, some of the examples are outdated, but the principles still apply. The book generated a great discussion for our book club. I didn’t agree with some ...more
Alice
Aug 09, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and we also have it on audio cd, so I listen to it every so often. The teachings allow the Spirit to direct me in the way I need to teach my own family. I found it very inspiring, encouraging and motivating to improve.
Rebekah
Aug 07, 2011 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best
This book is beautiful encouragement for blessing the lives of your family members. Suggests specific ways to invite the Spirit into your home and covers topics like faith, discipline, work, finances, love and service. Highly recommended.
Carolyn
Jan 03, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a core book for me, shows how to have a healthy and happy family. I am a big Gene R. Cook fan.
Marcie
Jul 06, 2009 Marcie rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from a friend, but now I want to buy it. The principles he outlines in this book are not 'new', but I loved his examples and he gave tons of them. He used examples from his own family and I could relate to so many of them or imagine them happening when my kids are teenagers. I also like how he doesn't present it as a 'know-all' book or a must-do way of parenting. It just lists his priorities and has some personal examples to make it vivid.

What I liked most about this book wa
Julia
Jun 18, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
I would actually give this book 4.5 stars. I'm really glad I took my time reading this book so that I could really ponder what I read and talk about it with my husband and others at times. I feel this book is a tremendous resource for all families who want to raise children who know that our Heavenly Father and Savior live and that they are the ones we should always turn to in all aspects of our lives. I like that this is the focus of the book and that parents and the family unit are designed to ...more
Tia Hall
Mar 01, 2008 Tia Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
By far one of the best parenting books I have read. Filled with REAL solutions to troubling situations that continually arise in my family. I have turned to God more in prayer for answers, for help, and with my children than I ever have previously. Elder Cook does not mince words, says it like it is, and lives it in his family. This book seriously had a profound effect on me and my family. It has really helped us do the practical things we should be doing to help our children gain a testimony of ...more
Krista
Feb 02, 2009 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: churchy, parenting
Excellent. Elder Cook has a lot of suggestions and practical ideas that are SO handy. Our son is still really little, but the spirit in which Elder Cook teaches applies to all ages, particularly emphasizing our personal righteousness and love toward our children.

Of particular note: I've been amazed at how often prayer figures into his real-life examples of conflicts diffused, although I suppose I shouldn't be. His example and the stories he shares have encouraged me to depend more on prayer and
Lewestover
Feb 10, 2016 Lewestover rated it liked it
This book would have been helpful to me when we were raising our children. It is full of good counsel, and many examples of the application of the principles discussed.
Jodi
May 10, 2010 Jodi rated it it was ok
I actually read this many years ago and it has sat on my shelf ever since. Our bookclub is reading it this month and I had hoped to read it again before our meeting...tomorrow night. I just can't do it again. My friend calls it "the guilt book". I completely agree. Sorry, Elder Cook--great book for those who either have a less active conscience than I or who are much better at parenting and living the gospel than I. Maybe I will pick it up again when I am feeling more like my ducks are in a row. ...more
JaNise
Oct 14, 2014 JaNise rated it really liked it
This book has some wonderful ideas to help families work together and learn values.
Erin
Feb 05, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
I actually listened to a CD, which is a fireside discussion by Elder Cook based on the book. It even included question and answer portions from the audience. It is such a good reminder of how to include the Lord in discipling your children. It focuses more on children probably 5 years old and older. Elder Cook offers lots of great parenting tips. He focuses on not using anger with your children, praying with and for your children and having the Lord as a partner in parenting. On the CD Elder Coo ...more
Chris
Sep 21, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Great advice and such a sweet way of sharing it.
Janet Williams
Apr 28, 2014 Janet Williams rated it it was amazing
A parenting bible!
Jennifer Hughes
Oct 20, 2014 Jennifer Hughes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All LDS parents
A beautiful, gentle parenting/family relationships book of specific counsel for LDS parents who want to raise a righteous posterity. Written to help parents understand how to give their children experiences in the home that will be a lifelong foundation for peace and harmony as they keep the commandments. A great reference book--I frequently reread a chapter here and there.

As President Hinckley said, we can always do a little better. This book helps lead and inspire me to do a little better as
Lisa
Aug 07, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, if you haven't read this book yet please do it soon! I loved this book so much. It's by far the best parenting book that I have ever read (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is my close second). I know this is so cliche but this book changed my life and made me want to be a better person. I have a new outlook on parenting and it's even changed how I'm living my life right now. Gene R. Cook is my favorite LDS author and he gives such great ideas about how to make your family be more Ch ...more
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was definitely something that I needed to read as a parent. I loved Elder Cook's examples from his own experiences in raising a family and everything he teaches is based on gospel principles. It helped me to refocus my goals and desires for our family and gave me greater hope in raising up a family to the Lord in these times. I would recommend this to any latter-day saint parent as it is based on our specific beliefs and teachings.
Lynn Halterman
May 11, 2013 Lynn Halterman rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all LDS parents. Elder Cook mixes the scriptures, teachings of the prophets, and personal stories to create a great handbook for happiness and joy in the home. Nancy and I have read this book several times over the years and have seen the difference in our family as we apply its principles. It is also available in Spanish! I have purchased and gifted over 20 copies. Highly recommended.
Pam
Jul 03, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I refer to quite a bit in trying to figure out how to be a mom. I've used a lot of tips and techniques from this book to try and make church things an every day thing for my kids and not just a Sunday thing. It is for me, but I'm not sure that it is for my kids. I don't usually buy books, I just borrow from the library, but this is one that I bought since I need it all the time.
travelgirlut
Jan 30, 2011 travelgirlut rated it it was amazing
This book is really motivating to me to be a better parent and do better at teaching my kids about God. I found that reading a chapter here and there about once a week helped me refocus myself and have better direction for the coming week or so. But I'm forgetful, so I know I'm going to have to keep coming back to this book for more inspiration over and over again. A must-read for any LDS family.
Scott
May 05, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It is what it is--a great big collection of stories about how to raise a family in the gospel. Although I found some of the examples to be a bit contrived and the overall tone seems extremist at times, I really like the major themes and overall lessons. I've personally found a lot of satisfaction in implementing several of the suggestions, particularly relating to scripture study and prayer.
Rebecca
Mar 17, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, lds
Shelves: lds
Sometimes as a parent we want to offer all of our tried and true wisdom, when sometimes actually the best thing we can do is lead our children to find their answers from the Lord. Gene R. Cook teaches this brilliantly. It's obvious through his teaching examples that as a loving father he lived his advice. Without trying to sound dramatic, this book really changed how I parent.
Heidi
Oct 18, 2010 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-people-books
There is a lot in this book. I agreed with most things and want to implement them, but there is so much I am not sure how to slowly go about it. However, when I am in situations I find myself recollecting things and trying them. I hope that continues. The message was great and made me want to be a better parent. Now I need to get my husband to read it so we are on the same page.
Skcamero
Apr 10, 2014 Skcamero rated it liked it
This was a good book that had some really good parenting ideas. It's definitely a slow read--not a novel in the least. But it taught good lessons. I took some good notes and hilighted lots of spots to remember what I want to.
Rina
Aug 27, 2010 Rina rated it it was amazing
We're often told to raise our children to the Lord and we have to teach them so many things that it can be overwhelming sometimes. This book gave some great examples and ideas for how to do this. It was clear, easy to understand and very uplifting. It also gives multiple examples for all ages of children, from babies to teens. I'm sure I'll read this more than once.
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Teaching Your Children Values
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Letters
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage