Start by marking “Raising Up a Family to the Lord” as Want to Read:
Raising Up a Family to the Lord

Raising Up a Family to the Lord

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  118 reviews
How can you teach your family with the Spirit of the Lord? How can you reach a wayward child? How can you hold more effective, enjoyable family home evenings? In Raising Up a Family to the Lord, Elder Cook teaches parents how to counter the destructive forces in the world we live in and explains how children can be taught to love the Lord.
Published August 1st 1993 by Deseret Book Company (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Up a Family to the Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Up a Family to the Lord

Trace
I'm not a member of the LDS church, however I have a few friends who are Mormon and I've been long intrigued with their church (even though their beliefs differ widely from my own). I've long been impressed with their focus on family and teaching their young.

After reading this article, I was even more impressed: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2...

I picked up this book to learn more about the methods they employ in teaching their children gospel truths.

I was surprised to learn that there w
This was all in all a great practical book. The principles he talks about therein are not some grand new thing that will magically change our family but all the stuff we hear each week in church. He says not to skip the first chapter, but sorry, I don't need convincing again why I should be raising my family up to the lord, that is why I wanted to read this book in the first place. so don't feel bad if you skim it too.
I especially love all the personal stories and examples he uses from his own
Julie
Elder Cook and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but overall I thought this book was great. I really liked a lot of the suggestions and examples he gave. I felt like some chapters were better than others. He gave me some really great ideas and insights that I hope to implement in my family. I would like Robbie to read it, but am not forcing him to like I've done with other books that I really feel strongly about him reading.
Kay
I’m kind of cheating saying I’ve read this book because I didn’t really read the whole thing. We read it for our family book club, so I thoroughly read my two assigned chapters and reported on them and I read or skim- read the rest. Elder Cook gives lots of good ideas and examples- practical advice. Since he raised his family (as did I) a while ago, some of the examples are outdated, but the principles still apply. The book generated a great discussion for our book club. I didn’t agree with some ...more
Carolyn
This is a core book for me, shows how to have a healthy and happy family. I am a big Gene R. Cook fan.
Marcie
I borrowed this book from a friend, but now I want to buy it. The principles he outlines in this book are not 'new', but I loved his examples and he gave tons of them. He used examples from his own family and I could relate to so many of them or imagine them happening when my kids are teenagers. I also like how he doesn't present it as a 'know-all' book or a must-do way of parenting. It just lists his priorities and has some personal examples to make it vivid.

What I liked most about this book wa
Julia
I would actually give this book 4.5 stars. I'm really glad I took my time reading this book so that I could really ponder what I read and talk about it with my husband and others at times. I feel this book is a tremendous resource for all families who want to raise children who know that our Heavenly Father and Savior live and that they are the ones we should always turn to in all aspects of our lives. I like that this is the focus of the book and that parents and the family unit are designed to ...more
Tia
By far one of the best parenting books I have read. Filled with REAL solutions to troubling situations that continually arise in my family. I have turned to God more in prayer for answers, for help, and with my children than I ever have previously. Elder Cook does not mince words, says it like it is, and lives it in his family. This book seriously had a profound effect on me and my family. It has really helped us do the practical things we should be doing to help our children gain a testimony of ...more
Krista
Excellent. Elder Cook has a lot of suggestions and practical ideas that are SO handy. Our son is still really little, but the spirit in which Elder Cook teaches applies to all ages, particularly emphasizing our personal righteousness and love toward our children.

Of particular note: I've been amazed at how often prayer figures into his real-life examples of conflicts diffused, although I suppose I shouldn't be. His example and the stories he shares have encouraged me to depend more on prayer and
I am fired up after reading this book! I feel empowered to really be able to use the tools the Lord has given us to raise our children up to the Lord. Loved the first half of the book the best. Lots of great examples about turning the children to the Lord when they need answers to life's problems. Loved the concept of how to transfer my generation's (or the Lord's) values to the next generation (my children). And I loved the ideas about making family scripture study better. I doubt I'll use all ...more
Jodi
I actually read this many years ago and it has sat on my shelf ever since. Our bookclub is reading it this month and I had hoped to read it again before our meeting...tomorrow night. I just can't do it again. My friend calls it "the guilt book". I completely agree. Sorry, Elder Cook--great book for those who either have a less active conscience than I or who are much better at parenting and living the gospel than I. Maybe I will pick it up again when I am feeling more like my ducks are in a row. ...more
JaNise
This book has some wonderful ideas to help families work together and learn values.
Erin
I actually listened to a CD, which is a fireside discussion by Elder Cook based on the book. It even included question and answer portions from the audience. It is such a good reminder of how to include the Lord in discipling your children. It focuses more on children probably 5 years old and older. Elder Cook offers lots of great parenting tips. He focuses on not using anger with your children, praying with and for your children and having the Lord as a partner in parenting. On the CD Elder Coo ...more
Jeanna
I read this book some years ago but had a great conversation about the book and listened to a talk by the author this weekend and remembered how much i had enjoyed the book. bro. cook gives great ideas on how to instill a love of the Lord in our children and teach them to rely on Him. i also liked his idea of the marking pencils at scripture study time for each person and pulled those back out. the kids are more engaged and can see how important we feel the scriptures are and develop their own r ...more
Chris
Great advice and such a sweet way of sharing it.
Janet Williams
A parenting bible!
Jennifer Hughes
Oct 20, 2014 Jennifer Hughes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All LDS parents
A beautiful, gentle parenting/family relationships book of specific counsel for LDS parents who want to raise a righteous posterity. Written to help parents understand how to give their children experiences in the home that will be a lifelong foundation for peace and harmony as they keep the commandments. A great reference book--I frequently reread a chapter here and there.

As President Hinckley said, we can always do a little better. This book helps lead and inspire me to do a little better as
Lisa
Oh my gosh, if you haven't read this book yet please do it soon! I loved this book so much. It's by far the best parenting book that I have ever read (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is my close second). I know this is so cliche but this book changed my life and made me want to be a better person. I have a new outlook on parenting and it's even changed how I'm living my life right now. Gene R. Cook is my favorite LDS author and he gives such great ideas about how to make your family be more Ch ...more
Stephanie
I loved this book, it was definitely something that I needed to read as a parent. I loved Elder Cook's examples from his own experiences in raising a family and everything he teaches is based on gospel principles. It helped me to refocus my goals and desires for our family and gave me greater hope in raising up a family to the Lord in these times. I would recommend this to any latter-day saint parent as it is based on our specific beliefs and teachings.
Lynn Halterman
This is a must read for all LDS parents. Elder Cook mixes the scriptures, teachings of the prophets, and personal stories to create a great handbook for happiness and joy in the home. Nancy and I have read this book several times over the years and have seen the difference in our family as we apply its principles. It is also available in Spanish! I have purchased and gifted over 20 copies. Highly recommended.
Pam
This is a book that I refer to quite a bit in trying to figure out how to be a mom. I've used a lot of tips and techniques from this book to try and make church things an every day thing for my kids and not just a Sunday thing. It is for me, but I'm not sure that it is for my kids. I don't usually buy books, I just borrow from the library, but this is one that I bought since I need it all the time.
travelgirlut
This book is really motivating to me to be a better parent and do better at teaching my kids about God. I found that reading a chapter here and there about once a week helped me refocus myself and have better direction for the coming week or so. But I'm forgetful, so I know I'm going to have to keep coming back to this book for more inspiration over and over again. A must-read for any LDS family.
Scott
It is what it is--a great big collection of stories about how to raise a family in the gospel. Although I found some of the examples to be a bit contrived and the overall tone seems extremist at times, I really like the major themes and overall lessons. I've personally found a lot of satisfaction in implementing several of the suggestions, particularly relating to scripture study and prayer.
Rebecca
Mar 17, 2008 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, lds
Shelves: lds
Sometimes as a parent we want to offer all of our tried and true wisdom, when sometimes actually the best thing we can do is lead our children to find their answers from the Lord. Gene R. Cook teaches this brilliantly. It's obvious through his teaching examples that as a loving father he lived his advice. Without trying to sound dramatic, this book really changed how I parent.
Heidi
There is a lot in this book. I agreed with most things and want to implement them, but there is so much I am not sure how to slowly go about it. However, when I am in situations I find myself recollecting things and trying them. I hope that continues. The message was great and made me want to be a better parent. Now I need to get my husband to read it so we are on the same page.
Skcamero
This was a good book that had some really good parenting ideas. It's definitely a slow read--not a novel in the least. But it taught good lessons. I took some good notes and hilighted lots of spots to remember what I want to.
Rina
We're often told to raise our children to the Lord and we have to teach them so many things that it can be overwhelming sometimes. This book gave some great examples and ideas for how to do this. It was clear, easy to understand and very uplifting. It also gives multiple examples for all ages of children, from babies to teens. I'm sure I'll read this more than once.
Rachel
This has been one of our family's core books for many years. It shaped our family culture in too many ways to name! A wonderful parenting guide for Latter-Day Saints.
Mandy
Mar 31, 2012 Mandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Just read this one again and LOVE it. It has so much good information on how to improve the family dynamic. My book is so marked up from the first and now second time I've read it and I look forward to hubs reading it again so we can discuss it as our kids are older than the first time we've read it. Definitely would recommend this one to anyone.
Genevieve
Wonderful thoughts shared by Elder Gene R. Cook who with his wife Janelle had 8 children. They were taught by love and example and ability to choose for themselves with the guidance of deeply spiritual parents.
I love and respect Elder Cook and anything he writes will be filled with following the spirit in your life and striving to follow our Savior.
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Teaching Your Children Values
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Letters
  • Between Husband & Wife
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Drawing On The Powers Of Heaven
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • The Holy Secret
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
  • Eve and the Choice Made in Eden
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
Receiving Answers to Our Prayers Teaching by the Spirit Searching the Scriptures: Bringing Power to Your Personal and Family Study Living by the Power of Faith 13 Lines Of Defense