AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween: Midi Edition

AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween: Midi Edition (AlphaOops!)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  55 reviews

H gets top billing — but a stubborn B has something scary to say — as the inside-out alphabet gives a howl-arious Halloween performance.

Published August 9th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published July 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about AlphaOops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AlphaOops

Tasha
The mixed up alphabet antics continue in this second Alpha Oops book. A isn’t ready to go on, but H has to start a Halloween book anyway. H starts with Halloween, and the other letters join in for a Halloween-themed alphabet that is not in any particular order. As the letters reveal themselves, poor B keeps on trying to get his word in but is upstaged each time. He tries to be a buccaneer, but P is wearing the same costume for pirate. X has trouble finding the perfect word too, but S is there wi...more
Monster
In this Halloween themed AlphaOops story, the mixed up alphabet is getting ready to celebrate Halloween in traditional AlphaOops style. When the letter A isn't ready to start the Halloween alphabet, the letter H gets top billing. The other letters appear throughout the book representing different creatures and items of Halloween. Kontis includes some alphabet book in-jokes, as when the letter J apologizes to the jack-o-lantern for picking another word, saying "J can't always be for jack-o-lanter...more
Julie
Fun story, great illustrations, the words are kind of all over the place and it does not follow any alphabetical order (although the letters use words that start with their letter). Some banter between the letters makes it entertaining for adults as well. Reading it to a child requires a fair amount of pointing to direct attention to where it's supposed to go. Still, very worthwhile. Good Halloween seasonal read for one on one, maybe not so great for a read aloud.
Michelle
Instant LOVE! This book is wonderful for R2R use. Great illustrations, engaging storyline (a Halloween pageant!), excellent for vocabulary and letter knowledge (the letters appear out of order in the "pageant," but line up nicely along the bottom of the page as each one "takes their turn.") I will definitely be using this one for my own children come Halloweeen time! p.s. *love* the hint to a third book at the end...
Tricia
This book is a nice blend of alphabet and holiday. Thinking that some subtleties may be missed in a group environment but this went over well as a reading to a solo child. Clever and funny, we both enjoyed it.
Jade Saleem
This a great read aloud for pre k, kindergarten, or first grade students. This book is in reference to halloween. Great read aloud to read in the month of October.
Very cute book for kids and incorporates Halloween words for each of the letters.
Evette
Genre: Picture books (Alphabet)
Alpha Oops: H is for Halloween Althea Kontis
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. “A” is initially called to go first, but she insists that “H” take center stage since it’s a Halloween presentation. Each letter is sure to make little readers laugh as they anticipate what will happen next especially to the letter “B” who can’t seem to find his place in the alphabet parade. All of the letters are...more
Steven Reid
1. Genre: Alphabet
2. This book is about the alphabet and their association to certain halloween words that begin with them. It runs like a theater production, going through the different letters, and has some mess-ups along the way. Each page reads as a different scene of the play.
3a. Illustrations
3b. The illustrations in this book were very confusing. The pictures themselves were very well drawn, but there seemed to be too much going on in each "scene". It was difficult to understand the progre...more
Mary Harris
Citation: Alpha Oops! H is for Halloween, by Alethea Kontis. (Candlewick Press, 2010). 34p. Alphabet.

Summary: Creativity at its best! Althea Kontis does a fantastic job of capturing the readers attention with her simple yet colorful illustrations. The setting is a stage for the letters to perform on. And each page has a different Halloween theme for each letter.

A. This book takes a different approach to learning the alphabet. Instead of going straight from A-Z it skips around and keeps track of...more
Bunnyjadwiga
What a great Halloween alphabet book-- or for alphabet learners who keep Halloween in their heart all year round.

As in the first AlphaOops book, the order of the letters' 'pageant' is rearranged-- this time A isn't ready to go on and suggests H go first, since 'you can't have Halloween without H.' After some protests (Astute readers may remember that H was the one in the first book who wanted to stay right in his usual position, 9th), H leads off a Halloween-themed alphabet, though this time B s...more
Hillary Forrest
I selected this book as an alphabet book. This particular book, written by Alethea Kontis, is similar to a book referenced in the textbook, The Joy of Childern’s Literature by Denise Johnson (2011), in Chapter 4 page73. I was transfixed by the use of colors in the illustrations and theme of this book. I found that this book could appeal to large group of children but especially young readers.

The jacket of the book is attention grabbing. In the center of the page there is a large “H” on top of a...more
Kelsie Williams
I chose this book as my alphabet picture book. When looking at this book, I found that it grabbed my attention. I like Halloween, and I thought the cover was very appealing. The cover was the same as the jacket of the book and the end pages were black with grey letters. I liked how the end pages corresponded well with the theme of the book. Each page has a lot to look at. At the bottom of the page, there are pumpkins with different letters on them. As each letter comes out on to the stage, the p...more
Brittany
I definitely would have given this picture book five stars except that it was the equivalent of an ADHD picture book. It was too confusing, especially for little children who are trying to learn the alphabet. The letters were all mixed up and then the letter characters interrupted the story too many times with their (funny) commentary. I'm all for creativity in a picture book, but the way this author executed was a distraction rather than an enhancement.

That said, whenever I'm looking at an alp...more
Barbara
It's time for the alphabet show to start, but A insists that H must go first since the word "Halloween" starts with that letter. As the letters line up and call out the Halloween-related words they represent--there are some challenging ones too, such as Z for zombie, K for kraken, G for goblin, L for lycanthrope--the letters are talking to each other, leading to some delightful asides that add to the appeal of the story. Although the letters don't appear in order in the book, the tiny pumpkins w...more
Jenny
In this fun Halloween alphabet book, the letters do not go in order...but poor B...everytime he thinks of a word and gets dressed up to come on stage, someone has beaten him to the punch. (When he dresses up as Bigfoot, Y is already on stage as a Yeti. When he dresses as a buccaneer, there is P as a pirate.) Will he be able to find his own unique word or will he miss out on his moment in the limelight altogether? You'll have to read to find out.

I liked that along the bottom, they added the lette...more
carissa
Ack! It’s time for the show, and A isn’t ready. But then again, Halloween can only start with one letter, no matter how the A-B-Cs normally go! The misbehaving alphabet is back, and there’s no telling who will take the stage next. Z for zombie? P for pirate? Will X think of something good in time? Neon-bright, comically detailed illustrations show a cacophony of costumed letters, each with a mind and personality all its own. Along the bottom, tiny pumpkins arrange the players in proper order, ma...more
Alyson
The premise is cute, but my favorite part is poor B, whose costume ideas keep getting used by his fellow letters. Don't worry--it turns out okay in the end!
Nat
This is a cute and fun alphabet book. I love the way it's more about the characters rather than placing the letters in order. I can't wait until I have children I can share the book with.

Having worked in a school environment, I can say that teaching the alphabet and indeed spelling and phonetics isn't just about the order of the letters but familiarising the children with what each letter represents. Alethea does a fantastic job in doing just that with this delightful story.
Jackie Gamber
Is there a tea that captures the flavor of October and its candy-collecting holiday? A book for the young and young-at-heart that borrows spookiness from Halloween’s tradition, but remembers its true soul of fun? You bet.

Chanakara’s Dragonfruit Tea, from the sample assortment through English Tea Store. Please read my complete BookTasting here: http://englishtea.us/2010/10/14/chana...
Joy
"H" gets top billing in the Halloween alphabet show. I missed the first book in this series, but I enjoyed this Halloween themed mixed-up alphabet. It's a really fun alphabet book and great for reinforcing letters with younger children at the same time. I love how poor "B" had to keep trying for something to represent his letter and finally came up with a great Halloween "B" word. A slightly spooky, fun book.
Angie
If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. If you haven't ever seen the first one ... give both of them a shot!
For sheer alphabetical Halloween fun this might even be a four and a half star book.

The only thing I might say is don't go into it expecting a "story." The fun is in the silly alphabet characters (both the written depiction as well as the fun illustration).
Fatima

I liked the story book about ALphaOoops who mixed up in order to celebrate Halloween. The letter A is not ready , but letter H is on the top letters who shows readiness.The author used digital art type in order to attract children to read it. This book suites k-Gr 3 students to read it and it introduce American traditional celebrations as Halloween.

Polly
Very cute, funny book, although I had an unfortunate encounter with a group of mostly humorless kids when I was reading it at story time today. Not even my much-acclaimed repertoire of silly voices helped. And I don't quite get the ending--I'll have to read it through again and see what I missed.
Cassie
ages 4 and up. This isn't the type of alphabet book that would be great for toddlers who are just learning their letters, but it is great for preschoolers who can pick up on the humor of the story, the characters, and have fun with the mixed up alphabet. The vocabulary words are great too.
Katie
I love these Alpha Oops books. The illustrations are great and the girls love them too. Although my oldests commentary on the first book was that 'Z' wasn't very nice it was definitely amusing and so cute. They leave this open to a Christmas Oops and I would love to read that as well!
Ashley Borman
Very cute, mixed up alphabet story. As the letters make their appearance on stage, their letter appears permanently in it's spot in the alphabet at the bottom of the page. A fun and interesting way of looking at the alphabet, especially for those who love Halloween!
Relyn
Nov 03, 2013 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: the same blog as the other Halloween books I read lately
Another Halloween flop. Not sure why, but my kids were completely unengaged with this book. I didn't use it for read aloud either because it's hard to follow as a read aloud. Too many random talkers and not much of a narrated story line. Not my favorite.
Dolly
Oct 30, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, halloween
Cute mixed up alphabet book with a Halloween theme. It's designed for younger children, but with all the dialogue, it's a bit hard to read aloud. Still, the illustrations are fun and the narrative is humorous. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Paula
Although some of the jokes might not interest the kids for story time, I think it could be used because there is enough text to read to them.
While putting on a Halloween pageant, the alphabet mixes things up with some spooky, and funny, results.
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • My Mommy Hung the Moon: A Love Story
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Mostly Monsterly
"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Ellen Oh, author of Prophecy

"Alethea Kontis, the woman who writes like Shakespeare would if he were alive today." --Aa...more
More about Alethea Kontis...
Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1) Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2) AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters, #3) The Wonderland Alphabet: Alice's Adventures Through the ABCs and What She Found Ther