Start by marking “Hex Education” as Want to Read:
Hex Education

Hex Education

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Sophie Stone doesn't want to leave the bright lights of LA for the dreary little burg of Mythic, Massachusetts. So why, then, does she feel eerily drawn to the place? And why, after she crosses the county line, does she begin having headaches, accompanied by strange and frightening visions? At least school is a bright spot—Sophie is immediately accepted by the coolest, mos ...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Razorbill (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hex Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex Education

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateI Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
What will you read this year (2011)
194th out of 583 books — 423 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Best YA Romance Novels
224th out of 610 books — 1,005 voters

More lists with this book...

Shira
As a preteen I remember liking this book. Went back and reread it a little while ago and cringed at the fact that I had ever liked it. The book is very fluffy-- don't know how else to describe it. What I mean is the problems it deals with are quite superficial and the writing is a tad juvenile. Of course, it is written for preteens and I am no longer one, so, perhaps, I am being overly judgmental.

It's definitely not one of those YA (I hesitate in calling it YA because I would say the target demo
Flisan Granberg
Ugh... Read this in a afternoon, and really want to read something "well written" now. Searched my library's catalogue a few days ago, found this and thought it seemed interesting so filed a reservation and mum picked it up for me today.
Shallow and very poorly written characters, boring and overused story and what's with Sophie's hatred for anything dark and mysterious (read - awesome)?! That alone wanted me to stop reading, but thought I should finish what I've started. Don't really recommend
*Miss Fame*
UGH!!!!!!!!! This book had a decent start... but then...

This little novel had a good start that held promise. The writing wasn't too horrible, however the plotline itself was kind of blah. Still, it was entertaining and held my attention.

But then about the middle, the rockiness started. It wasn't too bad. The girls finding out they were witches, I felt, was just poorly written out. They were a little freaked out at first but then suddenly it was alright, no worries. While of course I believe tha
Allegra
Nian
Apr 17, 2008 Nian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Seriously. Why do authors (first time novelists or not) continue to use the name-tag introduction? I’m so over that, but it seems like authors have this weird idea that beginning your story with, “Hi! My Name is ________” is a good way to capture your reader’s attention. Fact: it’s not. A story like that—according to me, anyway—will start my review with negative thoughts. And with an introduction like that, I never expect the books to be great.

And surprise, surprise, not a great book. Just okay
Kate (VerbVixen)
Hex Education: Not as Riveting as It Sounds
Hex Education- Emily Gould and Zareen Jaffrey

With a suggestive title like Hex Education and such an adorable cover, I expected so much more from this book. I found the plot predictable and the overall reading too juvenile for my liking. I thought the idea of the home-coming, the movie background, the family goth sensibilities were all good ideas, but it was really the coven members with all their charm that redeemed this book a bit. They reminded me of
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Sophie's in for a rough year.

Not only have her parents decided to move across the country, but they're heading to the hometown of her father, Mythic, Massachusetts, a popular destination spot for horror fanatics.

She has no desire to be away from Los Angeles and couldn't be less interested in her parents' and the town's horror obsession.

However, she's about to change her mind. Sophie soon meets a group of girls who have the power to create anythi
Linda Katzman
What would you do if your parents moved all the way across the country just before you started high school? That is exactly what Sophie Stone’s parents did. As if it isn’t bad enough that her father is the renowned horror director Spooky Stone. He has dragged her back to his gothic hometown founded by witches running from persecution. Sophie luckily falls in with a group of fashionable girls at school. When weird things start happening around her, Sophie finds out that she is a direct descendant ...more
Caleigh G.
I like some other reviewers thought this book looked like a fun cute book that would take me into a fun world but rather it was so Mary Sue that I struggled just to finish the book. They did not portray teenagers like they should have, instead they portrayed them as parents think us teenagers act....we dont act like that. Especially the girly scenes with hugs all around! And how they treat the boys in the books. They did the typical hot, sweet, adorable boy and then the nerdy, awkward, evil boy. ...more
Jessica
My take: Read another paranormal YA book. This one is seriously boring. The writing is of the "tell, not show" school of thought. The lone item I liked--the main character is the daughter of a horror movie director and his muse. I could imagine if Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter moved to New England and how their kid (who, in this case, is far more interested in shopping than paranormal activity) would fare. This book was a "Did not finish" for me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good eit ...more
Linda
Hex Education By: Emily Gould & Zareen Jaffery

Hex Education was a very enjoyable read from the first page to the end. I didn't want this story to end. The plot of this story kept my interest the whole time while reading this book.

This story has a little bit of everything. Good witches, bad witch, spells, good friends and wonderful characters you will not forget.

I would love to read more books by these two authors.

This was my first Young Adult read and it won't be my last. Emily Gould & Z
Margarita
Lindsay
YA GOULD - witchcraft, girlfriends, high school, fashion, clean read
Sophie Stone, LA-born and bred offspring of a horror movie director, is dragged to a tiny Massachusettes town for her freshman year. Mythic is her father's hometown and has quite a history of witchcraft. But when things start happening as she thinks of them, Sophie worries there's more to the myth in Mythic than she imagined. Sloppy writing, nothing very compelling here. For fans of the clique novels. 12+
Meg Williams
I've read some of the other reviews for this book, and I have to agree with the recurring theme-this book's pretty shallow. With predictable endings, a whole lot of suspending belief and the "save the world" crap, it's definitely a filler book-great for when you just need to read something dumb, or are between books (as in, ACTUAL books). Definitely not a book worth rereading or buying-but it's not the worst trashy novel to emerge.
Danielle
This was a really cute book. While there were a lot of spelling and grammar errors I was able to disregard that since the story still flowed fairly well. I thought that the ending could have been a little bit more longer, I felt as though it ended a little quickly. But other than that I recommend this is a cute, quick read. I was able to read it in about 2 sittings!
Julie
Spoiler Alert. I can't like a book where the only guy who treats the female main character with respect is suddenly revealed to be the evil plotting wizard, and the guy who acts like a total jerk gets the girl in the end. Plus it was too close to the Wicca side of magic for my tastes. If the book hadn't been such a short piece, I wouldn't have even finished it.
Kristib
i loved almost everything about this book but the ending was a little disappointing. i was expecting something much bigger than what was delivered. the book, as a whole, reminded me of one of those cheesy 30 minute specials shown on ABC family around halloween. i would have loved another chapter or two, or for the ending to be a little more drawn out.
Xyra
Sep 19, 2011 Xyra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: High School Freshmen girls who like stories about witches
Seemed to me like Mean Girls meets Sabrina, The Teenage Witch only with the numbers reversed. In this case the foursome are cool and good while there is one severely twisted girl and one evil warlock.

The girls struggle with their new found powers, but in the end they do fulfill their destiny.
Jennie
Nice book, I liked the main character. I thought the parents were amusing and I liked the rest of the coven. I also liked the introduction to magic. I think I was a tad old for this book, but I still enjoyed it and I'd read sequels if they existed.
Carmen
I really wanted to like this book. From the blurb on the back cover, it sounded like it could be interesting. I think if it had been aimed at an older audience, I would have liked it more. While it wasn't horrible, it wasn't great either. It was just ok.
April
Pretty good, general teen magic but it has a twist to it. And it's a series which is always a plus for me because I read so fast. Definently worth a read if you like the whole fantasy genre with a teen outlook, which I happen to be a big fan of.
Cory
This was interesting enough . . . decent teen fiction. I can see that girls who are interested in witchcraft and romance would like it. However, the ending was so anticlimactic as to boggle my mind.
Jeannie
The book was just bad. The main character, Sophie, is always complaining throughout the book. She just never stops, I mean it. So I just gave up on her and the book. DO NOT READ THIS I MEAN IT.
Nikita
I only picked up this book because the co-editor of my favorite website "Gawker" wrote it. I would have liked it better if I were a young adult...but I'm not. Thank God.
Rachel
one of the best books i have ever read when i was in high school and i would love to own it I've been wanting to own this book sense i read it all those years ago
Lianna
I love witch stories. This was just not what I thought it would be. It felt short and so cliche and basic. Not enough in this book, it needs more added to it.
Anna
This was a cute younger young adult novel. There was nothing inappropriate in the content, which is nice to see. It was light-hearted and fun.
Alicia
Good witchy novel. Basic story of the new girl vs. popular girls in a creepy town. I def. would read again.
Paige Y.
Honestly, I think that many teenage girls will like this one but I found it to be really shallow.
  • Age of Aquariums (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #20)
  • Pucker Up (Stupid Cupid, #3)
  • Switcheroo (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #30)
  • Harvest Moon (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #15)
  • Prisoner of Cabin 13 (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #11)
  • Bridal Bedlam (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #23)
  • Scarabian Nights (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #24)
  • Go Fetch! (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #13)
  • All That Glitters (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #12)
  • Competition's a Witch (Salem Witch, #2)
  • All You Need Is a Love Spell (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #7)
  • A Dog's Life (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #9)
  • Ben There, Done That (Sabrina The Teenage Witch, #6)
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
Emily Gould was born and raised in Silver Spring, Maryland. She went to Kenyon College for two years, then completed her B.A. at Eugene Lang College (The New School for Liberal Arts) in New York City. She has lived in NYC - first in the East Village, then in Greenpoint, and now in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn -- since May 2001.

Since moving to New York Emily has had a number of jobs, including work at Hyper
More about Emily Gould...
Friendship And the Heart Says Whatever Goodbye to All That: Writers on Loving and Leaving New York No Regrets: Three Discussions Our Spoons Came from Woolworths