Start by marking “All Things Censored” as Want to Read:
All Things Censored

All Things Censored

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  6 reviews
More than 75 essays—many freshly composed by Mumia with the cartridge of a ball-point pen, the only implement he is allowed in his death-row cell—embody the calm and powerful words of humanity spoken by a man on Death Row. Abu-Jamal writes on many different topics, including the ironies that abound within the U.S. prison system and the consequences of those ironies, and hi ...more
Published June 6th 2000 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about All Things Censored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Things Censored

Bakari
As far as I’m concerned America has never been a place, especially for minorities, for where dreams are achieved, it’s has been nothing short of illusions in which people have been fooled by it’s rhetoric about freedom, democracy, and prosperity for all. Few books that I’ve read so eloquently highlight the injustices of this country than Mumia Abu-Jamal’s "Live from Death Row", and "All Things Censored".

It’s amazing that Mumia, who has spent over twenty years on death row, can so eloquently cri
Elizabeth
A collection of essays from previous volumes, this book covers a lot of ground on a lot of subjects. Mumia Abu Jamal's prose is poetic and incisive with deep humanity. His perpective as a death row inmate, informed by his depth of study and knowledge on African-American heritage and issues, combines with his journalistic training to give a potent voice in today's American wilderness. To anyone who has yet to become familiar with his work, I say pick up this book!
Maggie
A book for my "Political Violence and Revolution" class in college. This one has made a lasting impact. I have gone online to look at both sides of this story, and on the other side is a family who lost a loved one. It's sad. I think there is good evidence that Mumia didn't receive a fair trial, but I also think there's some good evidence that he did in fact commit the crime or was an accomplice. No matter what, the book is one that stayed with me and it's a "thinking" book, that's for sure.
Rueben
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! essay's and stories from death row. this man is a genius. follow this guy into the fire... FUCK THE US GOV'T! FUCK THE COPS! FREE MUMIA! FREE PELTIER! FREE TIBET! FREE PALISTINE! FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS! OPEN THE BORDERS! END POLICE BRUTALITY, FIGHT BACK! FIGHT IMPERIALISM! EL VIVE CHE! VIVA ZAPATA! VIVA GERONIMO! VIVA POPEY! VIVA EZLN! FZLN! BLACK PANTHERS! MOVE! AFRICA UNITE!
HeavyReader
If I remember correctly, this is a collection of essays that Mumia Abu-Jamal wrote for public radio. I think he was going to read them over the phone and they were going to be played on National Public Radio. But somehow this plan became controversial and the idea was nixed. Maybe by this point these essays have been broadcast, but it was all quite a mess at the time.
Cece Yaya Sudarya
Saya baca versi terjemahan dari Profetik (group Mizan) dengan judul alih bahasa : Memberangus Keadilan

Ini resensi sederhana saya di blog :
Toño Cartín
Toño Cartín is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Joe T.
Joe T. marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Kristen Suagee-beauduy
Kristen Suagee-beauduy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Shumate
Shumate marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Abdul Majid
Abdul Majid marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Allyssa
Allyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Mousa Shabeeb
Mousa Shabeeb marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Francene Carroll
Francene Carroll marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Kilwar
Kilwar marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Chris brown
Chris brown marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kent
Kent marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars against the Black Panther Party & the American Indian Movement
  • The Black Panthers Speak
  • Blood in My Eye
  • To Die for the People: The Writings of Huey P. Newton
  • Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
  • Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman
  • Are Prisons Obsolete?
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • The Covenant with Black America
  • The End of White World Supremacy: Four Speeches By Malcolm X
  • Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America
  • The Michael Eric Dyson Reader
  • Die Nigger Die!
  • The Hip-Hop Generation: Young Blacks and the Crisis in African-American Culture
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil: My Life and Times in a Racist, Imperialist Society
  • Outlaw Woman: A Memoir of the War Years 1960-1975
Live from Death Row Death Blossoms: Reflections from a Prisoner of Conscience We Want Freedom: A Life in the Black Panther Party The Classroom and the Cell: Conversations on Black Life in America Jailhouse Lawyers: Prisoners Defending Prisoners v. the USA