Barnyard Banter

Barnyard Banter

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  67 reviews
This farm favorite is now a board book, perfect for preschoolers.

"Cows in the pasture, moo, moo, moo. Roosters in the barnyard, cock-a-doodle-doo . . ."

It's another noisy morning on the farm, and all of the animals are where they should be -- except Goose. And where is Goose? Young children will enjoy clucking, mucking, mewing, and cooing while they search for Goose on ev...more
Published October 15th 1997 by Square Fish (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Barnyard Banter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnyard Banter

Click Clack Moo by Doreen CroninFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonStar of Wonder by Paige W. Pendleton
Farmyard Fun
10th out of 100 books — 56 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
237th out of 264 books — 280 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. Another Denise Fleming book and we enjoyed it. Not enough words to make it a level 1 reader, but still the illustrations were amazing and colorful and kept my preschoolers very interested. We also liked the different sounds the animals made and the added activity of trying to find the goose on every page.
Overall a fun book about farm animals.
David
Barnyard Banter by Denise Fleming features a different barnyard animal and the sound it makes on each page.

Starting with "Cows in the pasture, moo, moo, moo", Fleming shows us roosters, hens, pigs, kittens, pigeons, mice, peacocks, donkeys, crows, crickets, frogs, and the goose, still chasing that butterfly!

Fleming's rhyming text goes right down the barnyard list. All the sounds are listed in a noisy group before we find goose chasing that elusive butterfly.

The illustrations, made by pouring co...more
Melissa
I get 25 librarian points deducted from me today for forgetting just how wonderful this book is. The goose and butterfly on every page, the bright colors, the movement on each spread are all great. The text scans perfectly and has some interesting, less common noises (burp, shriek, muck) thrown in with the familiar ones (moo, cluck, squeak, chirp).
Kalesa Guy
"Barnyard" introduces animals and their sounds. It would be an awesome way to share with younger students about the different animals and their sounds. It would be a cute and fun read aloud. It would also be a great addition to the classroom library. The illustrations are rich and beautiful.
Jamie
Each page of Barnyard Banter features a different farm animal and the sound that goes along with that animal. After all of the animals have been introduced, there is a big noisy goose!
The illustrations in this book are very inventive collage pictures made from homemade paper. The homemade paper gives for nice texture variation in the images. The barn animals have very big facial expressions that will entertain children.
This would be a wonderful book to read to young children in a one-on-one sett...more
Natalie Haskins
It is a farm animal favorite! The illustrations are beautifully put together on each page displaying a animal noises. I love how Denise snuck in the "where is goose" question because it makes the students become active readers. Not only through making the different animal noises, but for being aware what is going on in the background of each picture.

A bonus to these books is Denise Flemings' website. Here, she has links for making crafts and activities that go along with each story. The student...more
Meribeth
Rollicking rhymes and lively illustrations engage even three-year-olds who want to make the sounds the animals make.
Vivian
Collect an assortment of plush animals in a basket and say, "I wanna see if you guys know which animals are QUIET and which animals are NOISY. Are you ready to make a lot of animal noises? Can you say it louder? Can you say it quietly? Let's read a story about some noisy animals. But first everyone clap their hands three times. Can you touch your knees? Can you touch your cheek? Now, Before we start I need you to help me say a question from this book. Can you say "But where's goose?" Can you say...more
Andria
Good for prek story time. I can have the kids participate by making the animal sounds three times.
Brandi
Bright illustrations in the author/illustrator's distinct style and medium pair with rhyming text to depict various barnyard animals and their sounds.
Rachael Ricker (Myers)
I love the simplicity of the story and I had a lot of fun reading the funny sounds to my son. I might try this again when my son is older, but the illustrations in the board book version are a little too muddled and hard to distinguish. Ultimately I think there are similar books with clearer images that are better for younger babies. We are reading one now called Oink, Moo, Meow with photos of animals on a white background that seems more appropriate for this age group.
This is a terrific book for an older baby or toddler. A goose pursues a butterfly through the barnyard of animals, who make their signature animal sounds. The usual suspects are present - cows, rooster, hens. But there are some unusual animals present--donkeys, peacocks, crickets. Young children can play a seeking game looking for goose and his prey in each picture. Sometimes only a scrap of wing or a tip of the bill is visible. The rhyming text is a fun read-aloud.
Amanda
A clear favorite for my son, who is a sound effect junkie. It goes through a lot of animals and the sounds they make. Not much in to the story, OK, nothing to the story, but the illustrations are great and the sound effects, like I said, were a draw. I didn't particularly like the "cluck cluck" for the hens (I prefer bock bock) and was wondering what the next animal sound was going to be to rhyme with it. "Muck muck" went the pigs- a little weird.
Raenie Brown
This book is perfect for any primary teacher. The illustrations and text work hand in hand. The book makes it easy to create an interactive environment by giving the name of the barnyard animal, image and the corresponding sounds that it makes. The author kept it simple and easy for young children to follow. This could be used in conjunction to a lesson about a day on the farm and all the animals you would see there since it does list them all!
stephanie
As a librarian I always suggested Denise Fleming books to parents of babies and young toddlers. The pictures are colorful and interesting, yet simple, and the text is sparse but energetic. This book, as you might guess from the title, includes lots of animal sounds, and the added fun of looking for goose, who appears on every page. Ellie asks me to read it over and over again, and loves to point at goose where he's hiding. Cute!
Ginny Marie
My mom also gave Barnyard Banter to Emmy as a gift. She LOVES this books, and requests it frequently. Barnyard animals along with the noises they make are featured in this book, and throughout the book is Goose, chasing a butterfly.

The "pulp paintings" make this book so interesting visually, as well.

Better than your typical "farm book!" Another great find for a good toddler read.
Michal Hope
Excellent book to introduce or continue teaching about animals on the farms and the sounds they make. This makes for a great Pre-K and Kindergarten read aloud. I am reading it with my 2 year old. He loves looking at the animals and we have fun with their sounds. I love that Denise Fleming keeps using her animals in other books she writes....makes it fun to find them when reading.
Lisa
Another great book from Denise Fleming! Each spread features a different animal and the sound it makes, and every couple of pages someone asks, "But where's goose?" Some part of goose is visible on each page, so kids will have fun searching for goose along with making all the animal sounds. Good for older babies and toddlers, and would make an excellent read-aloud for story time.
Carrie
This is a rhyming book with a little surprise that older kids (2-4?)will think is silly. (In a good way.) It has lots of funny animal sounds and James about died laughing when I read it to Lincoln. This author thinks frogs say burp burp. :) He also thinks I make a pretty ridiculous donkey noise.
Katie
A decent addition to my PreK student's unit on farms. I love that this includes different animal sounds and the pictures are wonderful! Some of the included "farm animals" were not what I was expecting and the kids were a little confused. Overall a fun addition to the farm unit.
Janet
I am becoming a fan of Denise Fleming illustrations--a rather mixed technique which involves pouring cotton plup through hand cut stencils. Any way it provides for a colorful textured visual experience. In this one I especially liked the kittens and the crows.
Yejide
This book has different farm animals on each page and the sounds they make. The illustrations and facial expressions of the animals in the book are real catchy and sure to entertain the children. Definitely another book that would be incorporated in the farm theme.
elissa
Oct 20, 2011 elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to elissa by: Leo
This was one of Leo's favorite books when he was a toddler, so I've read it over and over. I'm adding it to my "babies" shelf in honor of a question that a friend asked me today. :) (Most of Denise Fleming's books would be good for what you were asking, Deb!)
Zilha B.
This short picture books is about animals, and their “sounds.” It is very simple and easy for children to read. This books is great for young students, pre-k and kindergarten, as well as ELL students who need help learning the animals and their sounds.
Petersen
Great Toddler Book. My 2 year old LOVED this book! Fun way to review farm animal sounds as you go through the farm looking for the goose. Great book for children to interact with and repeat/say the animal sounds as you read.
Emily Graham
This book was really cute! I love that the majority of the story is the sounds of the animals and it also rhymes. Beginning readers would be able to hear this couple a few times and eventually be able to read it themselves.
Laurie
Kelly Triplett
A fine choice for very young students. Probably best suited for kindergarteners and younger as it basically is a what-does-a-cow-say type of book. Nice bright illustrations will also engage young children.
Mandy
The animals in the barnyard are all making some noise as a goose runs about chasing a butterfly.

Observant listeners may notice there us a butterfly illustrated on each of Fleming's 2-page spreads.
Jill
I really liked this one. It goes through different animals and the sounds they make (including a crow--caw caw!!) and it's also fun to point out the goose throughout the book. This would be a nice one to own.
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...
In the Small, Small Pond In the Tall, Tall Grass Lunch The Cow Who Clucked Alphabet Under Construction