3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A former admissions officer at Dartmouth College reveals how the world's most highly selective schools really make their decisions.
Published October 28th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published November 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Is for Admission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Is for Admission

Petra X
This book makes it obvious that the best way into an Ivy League college is to be not just very clever, but also belong to a desirable ethnic minority (although you must have American citizenship). If you also have some civic responsibility, are good at sport and an odd hobby, so much the better. But for the white-American or, increasingly, Asian-American, its going to be hard work all the way and you'd better start preparing your resume from the cradle.

These criteria have greatly helped a girl I...more
Thomas
I finished this in four hours. I read it in August, as a rising senior with college applications waiting to be started - what I can I say?

While I can confidently say that I had a roughly accurate idea of how admissions worked, this book refined some of my beliefs and heightened others that I already held. The academic index and the finer details regarding parental involvement/guidance counselor/teacher recommendations were intriguing. It would help if all of those involved in the admissions proc...more
Chae
"A is for Admission" was overall a pretty informative decent book. A lot of the information presented, I already knew as I'm very interested in the college application process. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't learn anything new. Some parts of the books had charts and graphs of acceptance rates, common SAT scores, and how other students view the school.
As I mentioned, it was an informative book, but I give it three stars because I already knew much of the information before reading th...more
I had to force myself to read this book, and I found the singleminded focus on the Ivy League off-putting, but the author actually has a lot of good advice regarding applying to college. I learned more than I thought I would, and most importantly, gained a lot of insight into how the whole college admissions process works.
Sydney
Sheds some light on the whole mysterious admissions process. Though a bit dated.
Ashley Anderson
Ashley Anderson is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Mistocookie1
Mistocookie1 marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Enerel
Enerel marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Katerina Tzartza
Katerina Tzartza is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Barbie
Barbie marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"A" Is for Admission: The Insider's Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges A Is for Admission: The Insider's Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges The Middle School Years: Achieving the Best Education for Your Child, Grades 5-8 Don't Worry, You'll Get In: 100 Winning Tips for Stress-Free College Admissions