Start by marking “A Is for Admission: The Insider's Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A former admissions officer at Dartmouth College reveals how the world's most highly selective schools really make their decisions.
Published October 28th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Is for Admission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Is for Admission

Petra Xtra Crunchy
This book makes it obvious that the best way into an Ivy League college is to be not just very clever, but also belong to a desirable ethnic minority (although you must have American citizenship). If you also have some civic responsibility, are good at sport and an odd hobby, so much the better. But for the white-American or, increasingly, Asian-American, its going to be hard work all the way and you'd better start preparing your resume from the cradle.

These criteria have greatly helped a girl I...more
Thomas
I finished this in four hours. I read it in August, as a rising senior with college applications waiting to be started - what I can I say?

While I can confidently say that I had a roughly accurate idea of how admissions worked, this book refined some of my beliefs and heightened others that I already held. The academic index and the finer details regarding parental involvement/guidance counselor/teacher recommendations were intriguing. It would help if all of those involved in the admissions proc...more
Chae
"A is for Admission" was overall a pretty informative decent book. A lot of the information presented, I already knew as I'm very interested in the college application process. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't learn anything new. Some parts of the books had charts and graphs of acceptance rates, common SAT scores, and how other students view the school.
As I mentioned, it was an informative book, but I give it three stars because I already knew much of the information before reading th...more
Jonathan
This book offers a good look into the college process and how to attain success. While this book is helpful and does tell some things that can help, it isn't a very big factor in whether it will improve you overall. Students need to have the same things, and by knowing what they need to do, it can help them but if they don't have the ability it will be hard.
Advice is only good to those who are able to use it. A student who is younger, such as a middle school student can really benefit because...more
Peggy
Good for parents and students trying to get into the Ivy League. Also good for higher education administrators. Targets very specifically the process of Ivy League and other highly selective colleges, so is not directly relevants to most college admissions processes as far as the specifics, but still good to know what colleges look for.
I had to force myself to read this book, and I found the singleminded focus on the Ivy League off-putting, but the author actually has a lot of good advice regarding applying to college. I learned more than I thought I would, and most importantly, gained a lot of insight into how the whole college admissions process works.
Jason
Who knew Ivy admissions were so quantatative and systematic? Michele Hernadez does.

However, this book may be outdated now with the advent of the new SAT scoring.

This book will either motivate or demotivate you to apply for top colleges.
Sydney
Sheds some light on the whole mysterious admissions process. Though a bit dated.
Erika
Required reading, though I find most of what the author stands for utterly reprehensible.
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Ganbat Bayarbaatar
Ganbat Bayarbaatar marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Katie Williamson
Katie Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mistocookie1
Mistocookie1 marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Middle School Years: Achieving the Best Education for Your Child, Grades 5-8 Don't Worry, You'll Get In: 100 Winning Tips for Stress-Free College Admissions