Start by marking “Biggest Modern Woman Of The World” as Want to Read:
Biggest Modern Woman Of The World

Biggest Modern Woman Of The World

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published 1988 by pandora (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Biggest Modern Woman Of The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggest Modern Woman Of The World

Nov 24, 2008 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Jess by: Mom
Shelves: 100-in-a-year
What an incredible book. Susan Swan manages to construct a fictional biography (and occasional autobiography) for Anna Swan, a (real-life) Victorian giantess.

There are touches of magical realism all through the story, but every fantastic sequence is constructed in such a way as to make you believe in it (or want to believe it) just as much as you believe in the historical facts she's sprinkled throughout.

Swan (the author) has built a beautiful, tangible and complex world in this novel, so muc
This was a very bizarre book, indeed. It started off weird and wonderful and beautifully Victorian (much better Victorian writing style and story building than the vast majority of modern books meant to evoke the era), then ended up in this interminably boring, long, drawn out period of time which should have been more interesting (perhaps the most Victorian part of all?). I completely lost my desire to continue with it, and then eventually made a few starts at pushing through it. In the last th ...more
Crystal Allen
I am so glad this book doesn't have it's cover on hand. Seriously the ugliest book I have ever seen. One I would be embarrassed to be seen reading in public. I'm one who definitely judges a book by it's cover. Someone in my book club chose it though so we'll see. Perhaps I'll be glad that she didn't judge this book by it's cover.

Update: A Zero Star Book. The book was as bad as the cover. Only two people in my book club finished it. Very, very, weird book. A
Aliisa Percival
Strange but interesting. Read for a CanLit course.
Naomi marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Amor D'alesandro
Amor D'alesandro marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Jen Campbell
Jen Campbell marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
J marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Courtney Pheils
Courtney Pheils marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kitavanh Tanvongphab
Kitavanh Tanvongphab marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Niya B
Niya B marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kimmy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Liz added it
Jun 15, 2015
Alissa added it
Apr 12, 2014
Shana added it
Mar 13, 2014
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
DCW added it
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Journalist, feminist, novelist, activist, teacher, Susan Swan’s impact on the Canadian literary and political scene has been far-reaching. Susan Swan’s critically acclaimed fiction has been published in twenty countries. Her new novel, The Western Light, shares a heroine with her international bestseller, The Wives of Bath (published September 2012).

Swan’s last novel, What Casanova Told Me, was p