Start by marking “By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)” as Want to Read:
By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)

By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A chance meeting heralds the convergence of two heretofore wildly divergent fates.

From the moment he laid eyes on the handsome Lord of Ilmaren, Naeth Orosse fell head over heels in infatuation with him. And after that first meeting in the middle of a tavern brawl in the dual-gendered realm of Ylandre, Reijir Arthanna did not forget the orphaned youth who came to his aid un
Published November 28th 2011 by Liquid Silver Books (first published November 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about By Chance Met, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Chance Met

Sacred Fate by EressëScales And A Tail by Stormy GlennAcquainted with the Night by Tymber DaltonThe Degan Incident by Rob ColtonKing's Conquest by Valentina Heart
Mpreg Romance
14th out of 320 books — 378 voters
Sacred Fate by EressëHallowed Bond by EressëScales And A Tail by Stormy GlennThe Degan Incident by Rob ColtonMy King’s Seraglio by Ann T. Ryan
Best M/M Romance with Mpreg Plot
8th out of 143 books — 189 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
Still love the world of Ylandre. While this one was good, and who doesn't like a duke and his ward pining for each other, the miscommunications multiple times annoyed me.
Lauraadriana
Still in love with this lovely ALL MALE world...These men are still so good to me

This is the third novel in the Chronicles of Yllandre series, and like the first two I was just totally enthralled with this world. Eresse, has created such a rich place to go in her books. The imagery, the characters, the history of Yllandre is beautiful. The lore and traditions by this installment were so well known to me, and so natural to read about it was almost soothing to go back for a visit.

This is Reijir an
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

This is the third book in the Ylandre series, an elaborate world of titles, arranged marriages and male pregnancy. It follows in the footsteps of its prequels, with great characterization, vast world spread and a solid story.

Naeth lost his family in a fire and ended up working in a tavern for a family friend. One night, Lord of Ilmaren walks in with his friends and Naeth is completely enchanted by the Lord's e
Don Bradshaw
I believe that this was the best book in the series so far. It was cleanly written without any bog down and had all the members of the previous books in it. I liked Naeth and Keiran a lot. Reijir was very noble but needed a boot in the ass to wake up from the hurt Darion gave him 25 years ago. Both Kieran and Reijir were mistreated by their ada and were each damaged in their own way. Naeth was a study in resiliency with all that he went through in his short life. This was a true romance story b ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
It's been a long time since I've read either Sacred Fate or Hallowed Bond. I enjoy this series very much because of the world that's been created and the uniqueness of the stories.

One thing that Eressë is always able to do is make me love her characters whether they are sweet and innocent or cold and mean. With this story, Naeth is the sweet, innocent one while Reijir is cold and sometimes mean and harsh. They are drawn to each other from the start, though, and Reijir tries to stay the gentlema
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Reijir Arthanna, the Lord of Ilmaren, is a survivor of a troubled past. Abused by his sire and betrayed by his first love, Reijir has not risked his heart in years and has no intention of doing so ... until Naeth Orosse enters his life. During a tavern brawl, Naeth saves Reijir from a head bashing. When fate brings them together again, Reijir returns the favor and becomes the the orphaned youth's guardian. Reijir successfully fends off Naeth's flirtations and ignores their mutual attrac
Pamela Su
Ok. I have a confession to make. When a story is done well, I have a weakness for too-stupid-to-live characters. Boy, do I love this story.

Naeth is a naive, blinkers-on young man who sees absolutely no wrong in his hero, Reijir. Meanwhile, the rest of the readers are probably going "Dude! WTF, Reijir?! Again???"

While I feel I ought to be throwing this book at a wall, I find myself hugging it close and reveling in my guilty pleasure. I loved seeing Naeth follow Reijir around like an adoring pupp
Lala
Boring as f*ck.
 photo 866004_zps1fcaa4ce.gif

And here I thought Lassen was a chick-with-a-dick. Well, at least Lassen was a normal, romantic chick...Naeth here was of the worst kind...TSTL! (i.e. too stupid to live) He was one of those chicks whose sheer idiocy leads them headfirst into dangerous situations, from which the hero saves them...Just kill me now!

I hated Naeth with passion. Bland, blushing, stuttering, mousy, with a distasteful habit of eavesdropping..pathetic. I HONESTLY can't see why Reijir would be attracted
Edina Rose
Moving Men-Pregnancy story

- The main characters, Reijir and Naeth, are well crafted, three dimensional characters. Both have a very painful past, are imperfect and make huge mistakes. But they also stand out as amazing men, Naeth with his pure heart and innocence, and Rei (who is a member of the "royal" family) with his ethics and his total lack of snobbery in a hierarchical class society.

When they start having feelings for each other Rei is an authority figure for Naeth who is still underage
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
2.5 – 3 stars or something.

Seeing the high ratings and great reviews this book has received, I'm feeling a bit like the odd duck in the pond because I think this one was the weekest installment in this series to date. Compared to the first two books it was rather bland in terms of characters, events and/or plot.

Despite the smooth narration and rich fantasy world I found the story to be dragging, unoriginal and rather boring with characters I couldn’t quite warm up to. The twists and turns of the
Kazza
Another great installment in the Chronicles of Ylandre. I've read all three released thus far and all three have been worth every star of the 5 star rating(s).

Naeth worked at a rough tavern after having tragically lost his family in a house fire. He really was rewarded for unselfishly helping out visiting True Bloods at the tavern when a brawl erupted and some foul play was at hand. His life at the tavern was rather Cinderella-ish as the owners' partner certainly acted like an evil step mother (
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
5 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Oh yes… Eressë you beauty, you have produced yet another incredible story. Reijir is wary of trusting anyone but when Naeth sweeps into his life Reijir’s family and friends notice the difference straight away. Naeth’s life fell apart when his family was killed in a fire, helping a friend of his father out; he ends up meeting Reijir who turns his world upside down.

YES! YES! YES! Ylandre is back and is just as i
Ayanna
Naeth is a useless damsel-in-distress of an ingenue whose default method of dealing with issues is running away. God. He's such a woman. Who is permanently PMS'ing. Just...the way he reacts to things. It's like every horrible stereotype of women all wrapped in one. It's like Padme Amidala, but when in II and III, when she was the useless damsel in distress and the useless sobbing wreck, respectively.

Reijir I thought I would like/I really wanted to like, but he's got issues. A lot of them. And no
Nivalis
Another fascinating installment in Eressë's Chronicles of Ylandre. I loved that in this book we actually get to know and experience some of Ylandre's lower class. Although some of the later plotlines were a tad too predictable, By Chance Met is nevertheless a book that you start and don't want to put down. Naeth and Reijir are well-developed characters that actually have reasons for their actions, and I really enjoyed that Eressë gave both of them extensive background histories. Reijir's brother ...more
Tj
Jan 01, 2015 Tj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This was the third in the series. You see the couples from the other books in this one. I enjoyed watching the innocence of Naeth melt Reijir. Reijir is so harden from his past that Naeth slips past his defenses and before he knows it has made himself a part of Reijir. Reijir needed the whole devotion that Naeth gives him. I did think Naeth a little too naive to the point of just being stupid. Reijir was almost too harsh. It was an interesting combo. This book just didn't have as much drama as t ...more
Em
This is the third book in the Chronicles of Ylandre series and for me it was the weakest so far. I liked the relationship between Reijir and Naeth but I thought the plot was predictable at times and the ending was very long winded. That said, I did enjoy the book and will definitely be reading Heartstrings.
Katie
So, I feel like 1/2 - 1 of these stars is just good will from the previous two books. I liked it, but the constant sobbing and misunderstandings just drove me nuts! My god...the big misunderstanding is old after one use and there were at least 3, maybe 4 in this book. So, a generous 3 stars for this one.
Calila
I really enjoy this series. Though i like this book a little less than the first two. I wasn't sure if I'd find it creepy with the ward/guardian relationship, but I didn't. Rei doesn't really "parent" Naeth ever, so it's more technically, than emotionally so it was fine. Rei was a bit of a jerk for a lot of the book. And Naeth was way too immature. That's where it becomes squicky. Naeth is no where near mature enough for an "adult" relationship. And Rei is a bit of a rapist, no matter how Naeth ...more
Milyd
I didn't realize that the book will have mpreg. I am not too fond of mpreg and I wished I had noticed it earlier. I haven't read the two previous books and was a bit confused with all the names and the places...

The story was ok. It wasn't really what I expected. Naeth liked to run away too much and Reijir overreacted too much according to me. I really liked Keiran though. I wish he had a book.

Some of the words used really sound familiar. "Aba", for example, made me think of "Abba" which if I'm n
Gina

Angst, heart-aching.
Nightcolors
I really liked book 1 in the series, and book 2 was interesting enough, too. But this third book didn't work for me. It was often predictable and I just couldn't take to the two main characters.

The beginning really excited me, when it showed orphaned Naeth working in a tavern. I thought we were finally going to see something of the regular people's lives in Ylandre. But instead, Naeth soon became the ward of Reijil, and we were back in the world of the powerful, and my hopes were dashed. That is
Wendy Ann
This series and the world in which it takes place is such an interesting dichotomy of old and new. For example, it feels historical from the perspective that people travel by horse and/or carriage, they use oil lamps and candles, and they have minimal modern conveniences such as indoor plumbing. Yet, the year is futuristic (late 2000’s, early 3000’s), there’s some time travel, etc. – this diversity is part of what I love about the series.

As for the characters, I loved Naeth and Reijir much more
C
So, full disclosure, I did not read book 2 due to the betrayal referenced in some of the reviews. Like them, when I found out what it was I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get past it. I think the author may have heard you guys (and sensed the reticence in folks like me who hesitated to read) by putting a pretty touching scene in this book addressing and having Rio "own" the betrayal. Rio is obviously still heavy with the guilt, as he should be, but at least there is acceptance that what h ...more
Ilona
I am so immersed in the men of Ylandre that I can't wait to pick up the next book. This one had me grinning and crying and generally torn up by the hardships the relationship went through. I really felt for the MCs and was impressed by Eressë's ability to make them so different and interesting. One thing I really liked was how, just like in book two, the storyline ran parallel to book one, you also get to meet old characters from the previous books as they interact with the MCs of this one.
Eileen Zhou
This is one of my favourite books by Eresse. We the cool and called Reijir Arthanna in Bar with his cousins. A fight ensues between them and a low class bully come thug. Reijir Arthanna is saved by a lad called Naeth Orosse in the fight.He lad later becames Reijir's ward. Naeth day dreams about Reijir and yarns for them to be lovers.

His insecurities cause him to endanger his life. Secrets and murder plots are relived. We also get to met Reijir's eccentric brother and his lover.

Kukko
Main Characters: Naeth Orosse & Reijir Arthanna
Key Themes: Age Gap, Social Differences, MPreg, Paranormal
Location: Ylandre

Rei and Naeth are easily the least convincing couple of the series so far.

This is similar to Book I Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1) by Eressë, except Naeth does not have Lassen’s sparkling personality and beauty, and Rei does not have Rohyr strength of character. Instead Naeth was kind of insipid, a bit stupid, and oddly fond of eavesdropping on Rei's conversations.

Whilst I commended Rei for his sexual restrai
Maverickgirl31
This book is probably the weakest in the series so far. Sadly one MC suffered from too stupid to live syndrome. I'm giving it three stars because I loved Lord Arthanna so much! Also it was the first time an MC had gelded someone in the name of love. *SWOON* That said, it wasn't enough to keep from the series or enjoying the final denouement. This world keeps getting better and better.
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~

If Naeth didn't spend so much time eavesdropping, there would be less miscommunication and actions with consequences.

This was my introduction to the wonderful world of Ylandre - so descriptive - I was interested from the first page. These aren't perfect heroes, Naeth eavesdrops and Reijer is a bit on the cold side but still it's a wonderfully, interesting world to read about.
Tamela
This whole series is at the top of my-6-star-favs list. I love the characters, the world, the concept of "turning". Everything is so well written and the characters are all so deep. The only stumbling block for me is the names, it takes me a while to get them anchored in my head since they are not something I'm familiar with and often can't figure out how to pronounce them correctly. But other than that this whole series is amazing and should be read one right after the other. The timelines over ...more
Rellik
May 23, 2012 Rellik rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: text
While I'm not terribly found of the second book, I'm glad I've stuck with this series. It's impossible not to love Naeth and his dedication to Reijir, making it thoroughly enjoyable to read about their relationship (I usually find it annoying for the main character to repeatedly flee when facing hardships, but I forgive Naeth for every time he attempted it).

One small pity about the book is the universe exploration, or rather the lack of it. Unlike the previous two books, while new locations were
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Owner of My Heart (Mending the Rift, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies, #1)
  • Weregild (Wolf's-own, #2)
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Ash and Echoes (Blessed Epoch, #1)
  • My Regelence Rake (Sci-Regency #3)
  • Fate (Wyndrah, #1)
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
As far back as her college days, Eressë enjoyed writing stories set in historical times or, better yet, fantasy settings. Indeed, her pen name Eressë (e-res-se) is taken from the elvish language J.R.R. Tolkien created for his fantasy epic The Lord of the Rings, an absolute favorite of hers since way back when. A good number of her stories, however, turned into homoerotic romances because many of t ...more
More about Eressë...

Chronicles of Ylandre (6 books)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Hallowed Bond (Chronicles of Ylandre, #2)
  • Heartstrings (Chronicles of Ylandre, #4)
  • Cross Purposes (Chronicles of Ylandre #5)
  • In Fine Form (Chronicles of Ylandre, #6)
Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1) Hallowed Bond (Chronicles of Ylandre, #2) Heartstrings (Chronicles of Ylandre, #4) Cross Purposes (Chronicles of Ylandre #5) In Fine Form (Chronicles of Ylandre, #6)