Making Thinking Visible

Making Thinking Visible

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A proven program for enhancing students' thinking and comprehension abilities Visible Thinking is a research-based approach to teaching thinking, begun at Harvard's Project Zero, that develops students' thinking dispositions, while at the same time deepening their understanding of the topics they study. Rather than a set of fixed lessons, Visible Thinking is a varied colle...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Making Thinking Visible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Thinking Visible

Charlie
Making Thinking Visible lobbies teachers to change from knowledge instruction towards deeper synthesizing and understanding instruction. Although this is not a new concept, Bloom's Taxonomy etc., practical routines are shared as to how to deepen student thinking while at the same time helping teachers assess this process.

One of my favored parts was the DVD accompaniment where I was able to witness teachers meeting to discuss how their routines were working in the classroom. Ego aside, student f...more
Laura McCarthy
MTV is a book to make us (teachers) more thoughtful about the thinking our student do. The book identifies different types of thinking and describes a number of thinking routines that can help students 'see' their thinking and collaborate with peers. The use of the thinking routines has significantly raised the level of the language my First Graders are able to use effectively to explain and expand their thoughts. The website (Project Zero at Harvard) has a number of the routines that you can br...more
Becky
I like that this book was not all theory. The authors provided useful strategies and specific routines that help to create a culture of thinking in the classroom. For each routine discussed, there was a "picture of practice" which demonstrated that routine in action in an actual classroom. The authors suggested the type of material or activity best suited to each routine and talked about what might have gone wrong if it didn't work. There are teachers from all grade levels represented so in some...more
Suzette
Aug 12, 2012 Suzette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers.
Shelves: teaching, pedagogy
So I'm reading this after finishing Why Don't Kids Like School. So far, book emphasizes the process of understanding, and not working memory. In Why Don't Kids Like School there's a strong argument for practicing and memorizing certain facts to increase the room in working memory and thus be able to develop understanding more easily. This doesn't mean the books are in opposition. It just seems to me that reading them so close together gives me the chance to think what kinds of knowledge I need m...more
Tamara
Anticipating the February 2015 publication of Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools nudged me to reflect on how much Ron Ritchhart's previous books, Intellectual Character and Making Thinking Visible, have shaped my teaching and thinking life. Intellectual Character is my touchstone text; it gets at the core of why I teach and challenges me to continue to stretch in my own understandings of learning. Making Thinking Visible provides me concrete...more
Amy
Excellent resource! I love the simplicity in the routine explanations, the variations of each, and the work samples. I've been using these routines weekly and have seen a great improvement in discussion, thinking and quality of work. I've also seen a dramatic increase in student participation and motivation. This is especially exciting as I work with struggling students, many of whom are more than a grade level behind. To see this transformation is exciting and encouraging. As a teacher, this bo...more
Sheila
Wonderful routines are introduced to help make your students thinking visible. Pairs well with What Readers Really Do ... both books strive to put the students' thinking in a place of importance instead of the canned answers that can be parroted with much thought at all.
Carrie Nepstad
Fabulous resource! This book goes into excellent detail about using thinking routines to make student learning visible. I met Ron Ritchhart when I attended the Future of Learning conference at Harvard Graduate School of Education. I was fortunate to be a student in one of his seminars and had the wonderful experience of participating in a thinking routine from the perspective of a student. This was a powerful learning experience and I look forward to implementing these routines with my own stude...more
Mike Cosgrave
Great book, builds on the Visible Thinking and Cultures of Thinking projects at Harvard but a lot of the content is material which really should be discoverable on the web in this day and age ( 2014).
Colleen Brazill-murray
Loved this book! Useful, easy to flip around and tinker with new ways to help students. Lots of examples. Loved it.
David02139
A good book that presents a set of routines to make students think about what they have learned, connections and extensions. For Math, was lacking in the digging deeper into ideas.
Kipriadi prawira
Brilliant ideas! The first chapter of this book unpacks thinking. This initial list of ’thinking moves that are integral to understanding’ really resonates for me:

1. Observing closely and describing what’s there
2. Building explanations and interpretations
3. Reasoning with evidence
4 Making connections
5. Considering different perspectives
6. Capturing the heart and forming conclusions
7. Wondering and questioning
8. Uncovering complexity and going below the surface of things

This is what meaningful le...more
Alice
Invaluable book. Discusses both the research behind and the application of 20+ routines that can help teachers really push student to expand and deepen their thinking. Above and beyond the simple 'how-tos', the writers get into how teachers create - or compromise - the cultures and environments for thinking in their classrooms. This is a fabulous book for all teachers, regardless of subject area or age, though I suspect will be more helpful with those who have a year or two under their belt.
Joe
Great resource for teachers (at any level). Extremely readable, based upon research, and very practical. I love reading finding a book like this over the summer - it reinvigorates me as a teacher and encourages me to reinvestigate goals for myself as a teacher and my students. Can't wait to return to this text again and again over the next few months and many summers to come in the future.
Abigail
This book really helped guide me to have more inquiry based teaching in my classroom. In particular, the see think wonder, explanation games, and 3, 2, 1 bridge are routines I use regularly.

I'm also going to use the 4 c's for teaching Go Tell it On a Mountain and Native Son with my honors class next report period.

Thinking outloud in a classroom is awesome.
Phyllis
Another great book that will help teachers guide students to critical thinking skills. The first chapter made me realize that I really did not know what it meant to think. Real eye-opener. Offeres numerous simple but effective routines to help students develop an understanding of concepts and content. DVD is excellent.
Brian Cleary
Brilliant ideas, great applications and very wordy. It felt a bit like being back in lecture hall my freshman year of college. I was excited and overwhelmed and still somehow thought the speaker could should have tried to connect with the audience.
all that said, its a book we all should read at least part of.
Diane
Loved this. Easy to read. Says what it needs to say with no jargon. Thinking routines at back are useful. Already used 'see, think, wonder' with two year groups. Many of the others I've been using over the years under different guises, but great to renew enthusiasm for getting them thinking.
Kate Hastings
My principal recommended this book to me. As I try to incorporate more "I can..." statements into my lessons-- this book has some creative ways to assess student comprehension and get their reactions to stories we read. Be warned-- the intro is very academic and dry. Skip to the good parts!
Alisha G
This is designed for classroom teachers, not parents, so not all of the strategies are especially applicable to the informal teaching done in the home. However, there are some basic tactics that are useful, not least the idea that we should be teaching our children *how* to think.
Joanie Bowen
Very important book for teachers! You want to improve your teaching, this is a good place to start. It makes you think about student engagement
and just how you are delivering content in your classroom. The thinking routines can change your classroom in a big way! Loved it!
Angie
Mar 31, 2013 Angie marked it as to-read
Was enjoying it but my checkout period timed out ... and I sort of feel like this one would be better in hard copy where I could make physical notes. The e-format was hard for me. Really this is one I'd like to see presented by someone who really "gets" it and has used it.
Karyn
This book has been on my book shelf for the better part of a year-- I got a copy on the recommendation of a colleague-- and I think that it's a great reference for new teachers or teachers looking to change the way they are connecting their students to the curriculum.
Patricia
Great discussion on helping teachers and students to "see" thinking, but a lot of the routines wouldn't be helpful in my high school language arts classroom. I will use a few though, like the 4 C's. I've already tried that one and found it effective.
Anne
Great book filled with teaching strategies to take thinking deeper and to foster communication between students in the classroom. Not a book to read from cover to cover, but more one to use like a recipe book. Many ideas to try!
Rachel
Great book with many wonderful strategies. I have used the See-Think-Wonder in class already and feel like I saw students really stretching their usual ways of hurriedly thinking.
Erika

Understanding is the result of thinking, go figure. But what kind of thinking happens when a kid is learning a language, and how can I help? Must explore more.
Christy
From Harvard's Project Zero - Filled with thinking routines for classroom use along with case studies and DVD. Excellent resource.
Trisha
Should be required reading for ELA teachers -- I'm truly baffled by the lack of professional reading at Blach.
Kelly

Practical, revolutionary, and incredibly useful for all grade levels and subject areas.
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Ten Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Choice Words
  • Write Like This
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Teaching with Intention
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Five Minds for the Future
Ron Ritchhart is currently a Senior Research Associate at Harvard Project Zero where his work focuses on such issues as teaching for understanding, the development of intellectual character, creative teaching, making students' thinking visible, and most recently the development of school and classroom culture. Ron's research and writings, particularly his theory of Intellectual Character and frame...more
More about Ron Ritchhart...
Intellectual Character: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Get It Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools Through Mathematical Eyes: Exploring Functional Relationships in Math and Science Pythagoras' Bow Tie