Start by marking “Hawks Mountain” as Want to Read:
Hawks Mountain

Hawks Mountain (Hawks Mountain #1)

Rebecca Hawks has come home to remember who she was before the lure of life as a social worker in a big city nearly destroyed her-and might, still. She's moved back to her family's namesake mountain in West Virginia, where Granny Jo Hawks can help her forget the horrors she'd seen and been unable to prevent.

Ex-Navy Corpsman, Nicholas Hart, has moved to Hawks Mountain in ho

Published January 31st 2011 by Bell Bridge Books (first published January 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hawks Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawks Mountain

Beth F.
Gentle, cheesy and predictable, this never fully captured my interest. Case in point, it took me 2 months to finish this book. Now look at the number of pages this has and tell me that isn't ridiculous, seriously.

I started reading this in mid-September and was all, "meh, bored." Then I downloaded Grid Detective for my Kindle and I gave up reading books in favor of solving all those highly addictive grid puzzle games. And then I had a new baby and I was too tired to hold a book, let alone read it
TJ
Aug 07, 2011 TJ rated it liked it
Upon reading the opening chapter of this contemporary romance, I though, "CHEEEHEEEEZY!" A Beverly Hillbilly imitation of Granny introduces us to her hometown, the people and the romance of her granddaughter, complete with "yeehaw, ya'll sit tight and let me tell ya 'bout it", eye-rolling colloquialisms. Luckily, Granny didn't continue the narration. She took a backseat and third person took over. As the story continued the stereotypical small-town cliche's poured out like sweet-tea on a hot day ...more
Mrs Johnnie Tate
Feb 07, 2012 Mrs Johnnie Tate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mrs Johnnie by: Amazon
Cathleen
Dec 09, 2012 Cathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was such a good read. I am glad I picked up a copy of this book.

The story centers around Becky and Nick. Becky, is a social worker, who feels like she failed in her work. After her relationship breaks up she returns home to her Granny. Nick, a Navy Medic, purchased land on Hawks Mountain from Granny. He built himself a cabin in the woods and retreats from society. Nick is emotionally damaged by his experience in Iraq.

Nick and Becky meet and through a mutual attraction, they heal and move
Janet
Aug 06, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it
I found this to be a very good tale of how badly a person lets there fears and past heartaches keep them from finding true happiness. This story could happen to anyone of us. We have all been there but it is how you over come it that makes the difference.
Very good read.
Julia
Feb 09, 2014 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Standard for the genre (so, frustrating and meh)
Melissa Muir
Aug 07, 2011 Melissa Muir rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Free for Kindle, author's notes say its going to be a series, sounds good to me!
Jennifer Marie
Feb 28, 2017 Jennifer Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Great storyline! Good clean reading. That's what I look for now and it's hard to find good books without all the bad language. This one has it all! I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series of romance novels. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. First of all, since most romance novels are really just smut, I rarely read them. This one was about characters and overcoming struggles of various kinds and there was no smut at all. There was love and romance, but no graphic descriptions of sex. Quite honestly, it made the book so much better.

Becca returns to the WV mountain home of her grandmother Granny Jo after a traumatic event in her life in th
Debbie
Jun 02, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun quick read while we were traveling. Becca Hawke has come home to the mountains of West Virginia to live with her after a burnout from her job as a social worker in the city. Her last case left her feeling like she was to blame for many things that went wrong in her opinion. To top it off, she caught her boyfriend in bed with another woman, so decided it was time to head for the hills to hopefully find herself again!

While this book could be seen as much like some other predictable romance
Vicki Hinze
Apr 04, 2011 Vicki Hinze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
A warm and wonderful romance of two wounded people who reach out to others and heal. I enjoyed this first book in the Hawks Mountain series and look forward to reading the future books. Hawks Mountain is a special people, with a community of interesting characters. Granny Jo was wonderful--everyone should be so fortunate as to have a Granny Jo in their life. And I very much enjoyed the secondary story about Davy. This is a challenge that faces many children and it was good to see it depicted so ...more
Elaine
Radella
Apr 05, 2012 Radella rated it really liked it
It was predictable and sweet, in a heartbreaking sort of way. Becky's the mountain girl come home from the big bad city to move back in with Granny Jo. She's a social worker disillusioned with the system (and as a person familiar with social services, an all together too common sight). Nick is hiding from the world, with a bad case of PTSD after coming back from Iraq. They grow together, slowly, overcoming their own memories and demons and learn how to live and love.
Kelly
Decent. A fun way to spend a few hours. I did think the romance moved oddly quickly (as in "everyone" knew that Nick loved Rebecca after he'd only interacted with her a few times) but it was otherwise enjoyable.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 08/05/11 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Sara
Feb 09, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
I loved this book. But then again, I'm a sucker for soft, feel good, chick flick books that would make great movies. It's not the next great American novel, nor is it a ground breaking plot, but it's a great book nonetheless. If you like Nicholas Sparks novels, or books that take place in small town America, you will like this book.
Emily3022
Aug 23, 2014 Emily3022 rated it it was ok
No idea why the author repeats herself so much. Every few pages we are reminded of The Terrible Thing That Happened in Iraq and The Terrible Thing That Happened in Atlanta. I was rolling my eyes by the 1/4th point but there were some sweet moments that earned this book 2 stars instead of 1.
LC
Sep 26, 2011 LC rated it liked it
I liked the writing style but the pace was just a little slow for me. Overall a nice, sweet romance. I kind of wish we'd gotten to see more of Granny Jo because she had more spunk than the main characters!
Aimee
Mar 19, 2012 Aimee rated it liked it
This book was pretty predictable in spots and I found myself actually skipping a few lines here and there. I found it odd that the two main characters had almost the same background but never shared that fact with each other. Just a mediocre book in my opinion.
Deanne Lloyd
Hawks Mountain

I finished this book but it really didn't have much of a plot. Very amateurish writing. I will not be reading anything else by this author.
Sue
Aug 25, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Perfect story of what happens when you run away to a good, clean, safe place. Wonderful characters with depth. I enjoyed this sweet romance and the promise of the next book to come.
Leslie
Aug 21, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
Gentle read. A little too old style romance but not horrible. Just didn't keep my interest. Was wrapped up nicely and the characters all likeable.
Pedro Palhano
Aug 28, 2014 Pedro Palhano rated it liked it
É um romance de leitura rápida e agradável sem grandes melodramas. Como aspeto negativo temos as frequentes repetições da autora sobre os sentimentos das personagens.
♥Tiffany♥
Sep 23, 2011 ♥Tiffany♥ rated it liked it
this was a fast easy read. I was interested in the plot but not so interested that I couldn't put it down....
Dawn Archambault
Oct 11, 2011 Dawn Archambault rated it it was amazing
I guess I am going to be the underdog here. I LOVED IT!!!!!!! I could NOT put this down. I hear this is the beginning of a series. I am SO looking forward to part 2.
Suanne
Suanne rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2012
Adonela
Adonela rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
stacy tellone
stacy tellone rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
  • Texas Hold Him
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • Crossing the Bridge
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • The Privateer
  • I'll Be There (Angel Ridge, #4)
  • Hot Flash
  • Twas the Night
  • A Knight's Honor
  • Finding Grace

Hawks Mountain (5 books)
  • Summer Rose (Hawks Mountain #2)
  • Forever Fall
  • Winter Magic
  • Tomorrow's Promise: Volume 5 (The Hawks Mountain Series)