Start by marking “I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur

I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur

"One foggy, groggy morning
By the salty, splashy sea
I'm sure I saw a dinosaur
And I'm sure that he saw me."

But there's more to this story than meets the eye. Can there really be a dinosaur at Sandy Bottom End? Or is someone up to something...
Published April 7th 2011 by Andersen (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur

Sonia Contreras
Oct 04, 2016 Sonia Contreras rated it it was amazing
In this story a young boy thought he saw a dinosaur and ran to tell the community. Word of the sighting quickly spread through the community and soon everyone wanted chance to see a dinosaur. From priests to scientists, many of the locals started showing up to where the dinosaur was spotted. Eventually even the army makes an appearance.

"I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur" is considered a low fantasy story. The setting takes place in a very real area, the beach. It is still considered fantasy however beca
Suzannebuza
Sep 30, 2011 Suzannebuza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-lit
This lively spin off of the traditional "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story is about a young boy who claims to have seen a dinosaur "one froggy, groggy, morning by the salty, splashy sea," and that dinosaur saw him, too. The rumor spreads like wildfire and soon the entire town is on the beach, some waiting to catch a glimpse of it, and others who haven't a clue why they are even there (a classic case of rubbernecking.) But, is there really a dinosaur or just a clever boy in a dinosaur costume scheming to ...more
Lesley Colin
Oct 04, 2016 Lesley Colin rated it it was amazing
In the story "I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur" by Jeanne Willis, a child claims that he saw a dinosaur and that the dinosaur saw him as well one morning. The kid then goes and tells a fisherman that he saw a dinosaur, and the fisherman goes and tells his mom who ends up telling someone else. This goes on until the entire town is aware that there is a dinosaur but have yet to see it with their own eyes. The whole town came prepared by bringing in things like ropes, dogs, divers, bait, and the army so t ...more
Alyshia Riggs
Dec 01, 2016 Alyshia Riggs rated it really liked it
In the beginning of this book a young kid swears that him and a dinosaur saw each other one morning. He then feels the need to tell someone so he tells a fisherman. This fisherman then goes and tells someone. This then starts to spread around from person to person. Soon enough the entire town knows about this dinosaur. Nobody but the child has seen this dinosaur so they set out to catch the dinosaur. The round up a bunch of supplies to be prepared to catch it and they go out to try.

This book is
Jayna
Aug 10, 2013 Jayna rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ages 2 and up

A little boy thinks he sees a dinosaur and tells everyone about it. Everyone rushes down to the seashore to see if they can see the dinosaur too. It turns out it is just the little boy in a dinosaur costume trying to get people to come to his father's ice cream shop.

This would be good for a dinosaur themed story time.
Kristy
"I'm Sure I Saw a Dinosaur" is a picture book concerning a child who cried wolf...or dinosaur. The rhyming was nice and it was funny to see who all showed up to see the "dinosaur," but the illustrations (particularly the faces) were a bit boring. I wasn't a big fan of the fact that this book is basically teaching kids to lie to get what they want.

Okay for storytime.
Katie
Sep 14, 2011 Katie rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Lauralee Lambert
Dec 02, 2013 Lauralee Lambert rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It's a cute and silly story about a town coming together because one little boy says he saw a dinosaur. It's one of those very unlikely but still plausible stories that you can kind of laugh at, since the people in the story are acting so silly. I think younger kids might enjoy it.
Amy
Oct 25, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-book
While the children at Storytime seem to enjoy it, I didn't really like what I perceived the message to be: it's okay to lie so that people can make money. Furthermore, I found the list of all the people that attended to be quite insipid and frankly boring.
Terrie Andrews
Mar 03, 2012 Terrie Andrews rated it liked it
Description: Amusing story about how a little boy helps his father sell ice cream at the beach during the winter. It has a light poetic tempo.
Implementation ideas: 3-5th grades; Making predictions.

Peacegal
Feb 06, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
It was Ok, but the message was a bit questionable, as others have noted. (It's OK to lie to sell stuff.)

Veg*n parents note: the story includes a fisherman and a butcher, the "wares" that they are selling are also depicted.
Michael
One word of warning from a child sets off a panic of truly epic proportions in this very modern take on the classic old tale. The sky might not be falling, but there is a dinosaur on the loose, and that is far more exciting.
Jackie Frantz
Aug 27, 2016 Jackie Frantz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Co cute

Cute read. My girls loved it! The pictures were beautiful yo look at as well. I'll have to find more stories by this author.
Erin
Cute book about a boy who thought he saw a dinosaur, or so he says...

Good for preschool storytimes.
Alicia
Nov 19, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
I really liked the twist in this story. It would be a great book to use to teach character motivations.
Dawn
May 16, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
I read this to Drystan. It had a real twist at the end which was very clever. The down side of this was the story got a bit boring before until the twist came along.
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Jhemlee
Jhemlee rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Ruth
Apr 04, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
Fun story of a boy who cries wolf. Well....dinosaur! Went down v well at playgroup.
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Trish
May 16, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it
Cute story. Flows well. Sure to make you giggle.
Jgulliks
Jgulliks rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2017
Apr 18, 2015 Meg Mardian rated it it was amazing
Very clever!
Susan Erhardt
Sep 08, 2011 Susan Erhardt rated it it was amazing
There aren't too many dinosaur books that work for storytime, but I think this one will be a hit.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeanne Willis was born in St Albans and trained as an advertising copywriter at Watford College. She worked for various agencies creating press adverts and TV, cinema and radio commercials. She is now a full-time writer and has published over 80 books. Her hobbies include gardening, reading (non-fiction), natural history and collecting caterpillars. Jeanne has also worked on scripts for TV, includ ...more
More about Jeanne Willis...