Start by marking “Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners” as Want to Read:
Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners

Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners

Who knew that being in the leisure class required so much work?

Y. Euny Hong's Kept is a brilliant, wickedly funny tale that examines sexuality, class, and family ties among the bright young things of Manhattan.

Judith Lee, an entitled descendant of the Korean royal family, has grown quite accustomed to the privileges of the aristocracy. Unfortunately for her, royal des

Published August 7th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kept

Caroline
Aug 13, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it
A very funny (sly, subtle humor) book with very memorable characters. More than once I laughed out loud. However, its also a compelling story with an interesting (but not necessarily unpredictable in retrospect) twist near the end. I'd recommend it!
Katigie
Nov 28, 2014 Katigie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Characters with personality

Not a chick-lit book, but a novel with complex, interesting characters. A modern Moll Flanders whose attitudes about family, friends, class, race and love melt as she grows. Witty and erudite language--a treat.
Tori
2010- This book was not what I was expecting based on the cover. I thought it was to be some slightly scandalous chick-lit. Instead, the author tried to take a plot, which was certainly scandalous and make it ""smart."" I got sick of the main character almost immediately, as well as the many references to philosophy. I have no idea what type of person would enjoy this book, as it was such an odd mixture. Not recommended.
Shira
Nov 21, 2007 Shira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Becka, Diana
Shelves: chocolate
I really enjoy books about people who feel displaced or at loose ends. At the same time, I don't have a lot of patience for the maudlin. This book is gaspingly funny at times and has enough literary references to make me feel like an uneducated idiot. I love modern books that are enamoured of older ones--it gives you a new reason to read a classic (William Makepeace Thackeray's "Vanity Fair")beyond the standard, "It's a classic!" So enjoy on two levels...your gut and your mind!
Devon
Dec 17, 2009 Devon rated it liked it
Trashy chick lit masquerading as something more intellectual. Don't be fooled by the constant references to Kant - it's still your typical "girl gets into trouble, girls sulks, girl finds miraculous way out of trouble" formula of most chick lit novels.

Still, for some reason, it was relatively enjoyable. Even if I was embarrassed to read it in public (see: the cover).
Mike
Jun 07, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
This book is very funny in a way that takes you in dif ways to laugh out loud too ..very good writen ..she should write more she is a very smart and funny author.. it is a very good and smart book to go out a but or tell your library to get and read it your self after you read it ..you'll still want to go out and buy it your self.. a very good well writen book ...
Nadia Molina
Feb 09, 2016 Nadia Molina rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. There were some really good and clever moments but overall it felt like the writer was trying too hard. The main character sometimes felt ridiculous and fake and that was distracting. I had such high hopes. The idea surrounding this book was so good. Too bad it didn't entirely come together.
E.d.
Nov 15, 2008 E.d. rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this one at all. It was not well written. I wasn't in the least convinced by the dialogue. The author put a lot of what should have been in a 3rd person narration into the main character's mouth and it sounded stitled.
Kate
Dec 17, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Yum, yum, yum. This was for me what "The Devil Wore Prada" was for the rest of the reading public. I'll be watching for her next book.
Annjulie26
Started reading the book.

I think i will enjoy this book. I do not have a specific genre when I read books. But reading an English book from a "neighbor", for some reason makes me excited.

Cary
Jan 30, 2012 Cary rated it liked it
this book is more 2.5 stars than 3. the main character is so obnoxious that she is hard to connect with and the ending seemed rushed.
Joo Ok
Joo Ok rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2009
Michele
Michele rated it did not like it
May 05, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2011
geri
geri rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2008
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Kelley
Kelley rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2010
Zhanna
Zhanna rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2008
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2009
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Penny
Penny rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Yonhee Cha
Yonhee Cha rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Kate Cubitt
Kate Cubitt rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Kelly Pow
Aug 03, 2011 Kelly Pow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
definately a good read
Serafina
Serafina rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
  • Tongue
  • Everything Asian
  • The Poet
  • Archer's Quest
  • The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyŏng: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Your Republic Is Calling You