Start by marking “Murder in the House (Capital Crimes, #14)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the House (Capital Crimes, #14)

Murder in the House (Capital Crimes #14)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  349 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Congressman Latham has maintained an impeccable record in Washington, and so he seems the logical choice when nominated by his friend, President Scott, to become the next secretary of state. His confirmation hearings appear to be a formality until rumors emerge of sexual misconduct and influence peddling. Then, early one morning, he is found shot to death, an apparent suic ...more
Published June 28th 1998 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the House

Jim
Jul 08, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Kind of a breezy light story. Not much body or depth to characters. One of those books to sit down and blow through quickly without giving much thought to plot. Although it was nice seeing author Margaret Truman making Democrats good guys and republicans bad guys !
Ellen Moore
Feb 29, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I found this book very interesting. Margaret Truman describes the Washington political climate quite well. This one involves the death of a respected congressman in the House, first thought to be a suicide and then revealed to be a murder. California Congressman Paul Latham chaired the important House International Relations Committee and was currently nominated by the President for Secretary of State to replace the cabinet member who had just died in a plane crash. Series regular Mac Smith, pre ...more
Ann
Apr 07, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
Congressman Paul Latham had just been asked to accept the nomination as the Secretary of State. He was ready to accept the post and asked his good friend Mac Smith to act as his attorney during the confirmation hearing. When he is found dead the next day, it is rumored that he committed suicide when it was discovered that a charge of sexual harassment was pending. Mac very quickly finds it was a murder and he is bound to try and clear Paul's name for the sake of his family and his legacy. This w ...more
grundoon
The protagonists as relatively minor characters continues, and the major flaw of Mac's personality pretty well corrected (odd, that my feedback is having effect... ). Too bad the story's a meandering mess this time around.
Hkilker
Jan 22, 2015 Hkilker rated it really liked it
I like this series. Now that I am spending more time in Washington, D.C. visiting my daughter, I love being able to visualize a lot of the scenery and places visited.
Dina
May 07, 2016 Dina rated it it was ok
Shelves: can-t-finish
liked some of her other books but just couldn't get through the beginning here.
Mikiel Ottmar
Love her books, page turning until the surprise end.
Kay
Mar 10, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another enjoyable Truman book.
Keli Wright
Sep 09, 2015 Keli Wright rated it liked it
I really liked this one!
David Reynolds
Good One!!!
Frederick Bingham
I listened to the book on tape on a trip.This is a rather disjointed story. There is a powerful congressman, nominated by the president to be Secretary of State, who is charged with sexual harassment by his office assistant and is murdered. There is his buddy, a somewhat shady wealthy businessman, with deep ties into post-Soviet Russia. There are Russian mobsters and oligarchs. There is a law professor who ends up trying to figure out who committed the murder. There are a couple of CIA and FBI a ...more
Conni Harness
May 10, 2016 Conni Harness rated it it was amazing
Good one. Getting better & better. This one was spell binding. Approaching late 90's so cell phones should be appearing soon. It's odd to read about the Capitol in modern times without cell phones, computers etc.
Janice
This was a reread for me.....I can't remember when I'd first read it. I liked this book along with Truman's other books that featured the characters Mac and Annabel. Truman usually can make the workings of the government interesting when using them in her story plot.....occasionally she goes on a little too much, but it was a good read.
Linda
Feb 13, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Started this book and realized that I had read it sometime in the past. Skimmed through it to reacquaint myself with the plot and characters and found it just as interesting this second time around. Margaret Truman never fails to entertain with her murder mysteries centered around the political climate in our nations capital.
Jean
Aug 02, 2011 Jean rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. I Don't read murder mysteries much, but really like Ma4rgaret Truman. She does an excellent job of developing characters, plotting and has good solid writing. I intend to read the rest of the series.
Judy Iliff
Jun 17, 2009 Judy Iliff rated it liked it
Typical Truman mystery, but not as well written as others, I didn't think. The last chapter read as if she was tired of writing and just wrote paragraphs to tie things up. I felt there could have been more explanation.
Sharon
Feb 28, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
A good mystery read. Well written and fun to relate to the locales in the DC area. Easy to relate to the characters and not over run with the political details.
VerJean
Jan 17, 2013 VerJean rated it liked it
Reading these with my Mom.
A favorite series.
Great mysteries and great insight into behind the scenes Washington DC.
I'm reading them ALL.
Read in 2005.
Kerry
Jun 14, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading a novel set in D.C. especially since I'm going back there soon, but overall this was a very predictable and bland read.
Genia
Jan 13, 2010 Genia rated it it was amazing
Always a pleasure to read Margaret Truman's mysteries. They're very engaging and informative on the workings of our Fair City.
Alice
Nov 08, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
Recommended to Alice by: Karen Holter
This was a fast paced, light mystery involving a house member nominated for secretary of state.
Artha
Nov 08, 2009 Artha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoy all Margaret Truman books. Always a good plot and twist.
Nancy K
Mar 28, 2010 Nancy K rated it it was ok
I do enjoy Ms. Truman's books - but this one was very predictable.
Ann
Mar 04, 2009 Ann rated it liked it
Margaret Truman's Capital Crime books are always a good read.
Barb
Jul 02, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
Margaret is always a good read.
Linda
Aug 21, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Good entry in the series.
Ruth
M Tru
Jackie Simons
Read 1/98
Goodreads Librari...: Book description is incorrect 7 24 Apr 03, 2014 09:32PM
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #18)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • California Angel
  • Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • The Raymond Chandler Omnibus: The Big Sleep / Farewell My Lovely / The High Window / The Lady in the Lake
  • Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who... #27)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)