Start by marking “Hide and Shriek” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Hide and Shriek

R.L. Stine

Hide and Shriek (Ghosts of Fear Street #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Playing hide and seek in the Fear Street woods, Randy Clay, the new kid on the block, hears about a ghost named Pete. If Pete tags you, he keeps your body for a year. And Pete likes new kids.
Published January 1st 1995 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Shriek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide and Shriek

Yuemei
since I've read this book when i was young...not really a kid...but i bet kids will love it too..(actually it was the first book I've ever finished!)

this book contains the element of super natural...like ghost!
a boy named Pete who have been dead many years ago on the tenth of June likes to play hide and seek...and in the day of his death all twelve-year-olds of Shadyside play a game of hide-and-seek with him...every year he wants a new body...and whoever he tags on the game have to gave him one
Carol Briseno
I liked this book, it was a simple read and in layman's terms "A step-up from goosebumps, but a step-down from the Fear Street collection."

A bigger kid book for little kids. This book has all those little creepy moments without getting too scared. On a scale from 1 to 10 on the creep-o-meter i'd rank it a 4. Only because while it does have some some creepy parts it's not scary to me, so I don't think a 6 yr old would be too afraid while reading this.

Randy is the perfect tom-boy but moving into
Jay
I decided to rate this from the perspective of the target audience.

Unlike other R.L. Stine books, not every chapter ends on a cliffhanger, which was a welcome relief. And furthermore, the book didn't end with a twist, though I found that slightly disappointing. After all, what's a R.L. Stine novel with a surprise twist?

One thing I liked about Stine's books while growing up is that they provided a progression for children. From Goosebumps to Fear Street, Stine provided increasingly adult books f
Daphne Maatman
This is one of the Fear Street books that I've read over and over again as a child. Now my sister owns all of them and it took me less than an hour in total to complete it, they're still kinda creepy
Michaela Mitsuko Sklenářová
As a kid I was in love with this book and the characters. I guess the book would seem terrible and boring if I read it again now, but that's the beauty of the book - it's perfect for the target audience :)
Brenna
I read this in 4th grade when I wasn't supposed to. Scared me badly. Inspired my love of horror.
Tyler Holman
It wasn't too scary. No nightmares. The reason I liked it was because of the characters.
Milagros Lopez
lo lei hace muchos años pero le doy 4 estrellas porque era mi favorito cuando era chica.
Carolin
Eine dorffestartige Tradition wird auf einmal ziemlich ernst. Was die Schüler als Gruselgeschichte abtun, wird für Randy Wirklichkeit, als sie feststellen muss, dass es den Geist Pete tatsächlich gibt...und der ist auch noch hinter ihr her.

Eine nette Gruselgeschichte für Kinder. Manchmal waren mir allerdings ein paar Hinweise und Wiederholungen zu viel drin.
Ashley
I cannot remember what age I read this book, but I loved it! I know that I read it a few times within the first few years I bought it. I even convinced my dad to read it and he loved it! Kudos to R.L. Stine!
Angela
This book really gets me the chills and goosebumps. I love scary books that just makes your spine wanna jump out of your skin! Already read three times ,its just too good!
Cherry
I read this book in like 2nd grade or something! It was the best horror book I've ever read! The ending like scared the crap out of me!!
Jessie
R.L. Stine kicks off his new Fear Street spin-off with Hide and Shriek.
Ben Fayle
This book gave me the goosebumps!! it was fab, A definite read
Anthony Quinones
i think this book is really cool and kind of funny.
Hanna
really good
Linda
I really liked it.
Ashley Turicik
Ashley Turicik marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Shawna Robinson
Shawna Robinson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Nam Nguyen
Nam Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Cassandi Annabell
Cassandi Annabell marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Vini
Vini marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Scarletblack
Scarletblack marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Sani
Sani marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • The Hidden Beast (Spooksville, #12)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • Frankenstein
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Julie (Sunfire, #20)
  • Heidi (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • How Do You Lose Those Ninth Grade Blues?
  • Horror at the Haunted House
  • The Children's Crusade (The Books of Magic, #3)
  • Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • The Mystery at Skeleton Point
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Ghosts of Fear Street (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Who's Been Sleeping in My Grave? (Ghosts of Fear Street, #2)
  • The Attack of the Aqua Apes (Ghosts of Fear Street, #3)
  • Nightmare in 3-D (Ghosts of Fear Street, #4)
  • Stay Away From the Treehouse (Ghosts of Fear Street, #5)
  • Eye of the Fortuneteller (Ghosts of Fear Street, #6)
  • Fright Knight (Ghosts of Fear Street, #7)
  • The Ooze (Ghosts of Fear Street, #8)
  • Revenge of the Shadow People (Ghosts of Fear Street, #9)
  • The Bugman Lives (Ghosts of Fear Street, #10)
  • The Boy Who Ate Fear Street (Ghosts of Fear Street, #11)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)