Start by marking “Muumit: Sarjakuvaklassikot II” as Want to Read:
Muumit: Sarjakuvaklassikot II

Muumit: Sarjakuvaklassikot II (Moomin Comic Strip #5-8)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Tavoistaan poiketen muumiperhe valvoo yli Vaarallisen talven ja tutustuu tunteita herättäviin ilmiöihin, kuten herra Virkkuseen Ulkoiluyhdistyksestä. Kuvitteluleikki kertoo, miten eri tavoin elämään voi suhtautua. Muumimamman ja rouva Vilijonkan käsitykset poikkeavat toisistaan. Talonrakennus on vaikeaa, ja Muumipeikon aikaansaannos hieman erikoinen – mutta viihtyisä. Aloi ...more
Published 2009 by WSOY (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Muumit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muumit

Robert
May 24, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
More gentle satire from Jansson, with religion, sport and interfering neighbours all coming under the spotlight in Moomin Valley, where the cutest family of trolls you've ever seen live. I think I prefered the first volume of the comic strip to this one and the first novel, too.
Mira
Jan 24, 2017 Mira rated it really liked it
"Moomin Mamma's Maid" was my favorite, and it'd deserve a five star rating. I enjoyed the others as well, but not quite as much, so four stars it is!
Mariel
Nov 01, 2008 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariel by: Adam Grimord-Isham
Shelves: read-do-not-own
Moomin stroked my inner child and sense of wonder with every comic panel. Moomin is a little hippo-like creature with a silly group of friends and family that constantly get into accidental trouble and end up teaching others a lesson: be more moomin-minded. Live carefree, enjoy life, fun is more important than work. Every character is very detailed and pursues their own passions endlessly, while fretting over how that passion might causes problems in their environment.

I recommend this book! I've
Eddie Watkins
Feb 03, 2009 Eddie Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comics
What wonders and what wise innocence, what silliness and depth.

I especially liked "Moomin Mamma's Maid" from which I learned a thing or two about the ills of excessive tidiness and order, and "Moomin Begins a New Life" which could teach everyone a thing or two about mindlessly following extremists and thus straying from one's inner comic compass.
Nikki
Apr 26, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, like the other Moomin comic strip collections, cute and funny, and often quite knowing and wry. I enjoy them a lot, and I really don't think they're just for children, whatever my local library does with 'em...
Mizuki
May 10, 2014 Mizuki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, wonderful, great
Moomin Vol. 2 is a very delightful read, the characters are warm, beautifully but simply designed and adorable beyond word and the sense of humor is natural and light-heartened, strongly recommend to everyone.
Jeffrey
May 16, 2010 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have bottomless affection for Jansson's Moomin creations. The novels were my favorite reads as a young reader, and Finn Family Moomintroll was read to me multiple times (at my insistence) as a bedtime story. I'm not sure why, but despite Moomintroll having become essentially the Mickey Mouse of Finland and probably that country's most instantly recognizable symbol, I still feel like the Moomin world is this sort of awesome secret place just for me. That probably speaks to the genius of its cre ...more
Moira
Sep 17, 2012 Moira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I still remember reading the first volume of these while backpacking across Scandinavia with the boyfriend. We found the impratical hardcover in Tampere, Finland and lugged it around with us there on. We went there to visit the Moomin museum and were hoping to go the theme park in Naantalin later, but this one was closed during Winter. We were obsessed (we still are), and our sweet childhood memories had in common that many were spent eating cereal in the morning while watching the cartoon. Thes ...more
Lavina
It's pretty hard to top "Moomin on the Riviera" and the trunk of foul language from Book One (plus I think you just fall in love with whatever Moomin you read first), but this comes pretty close.

I love that it's always the whole Moomin family who are up to wacky hijinks, not just the little Moomin. In fact, Moomin Mama and Moomin Papa are often the instigators -- then chaos, hilarity, and profound wisdom ensue, all in the form of round hippo-like trolls. Genius. I could read this stuff all day.
Rosena
MOOMIN!!!! <3 <3 <3
Bridget
Feb 14, 2017 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love comics with morals.
Neha
O what a beautiful thing.
Emma
It's hard to describe what I think of Moomin. Moomin and his family live in a kind of fantasy creature alterworld, where they are most of the time at peace with nature and without need. Their small dramas are generally caused by their falling into absurd misunderstandings of the world, and their relationships are innocent and loving. But there is also a very crazy anarchistic streak to characters like Little My who enter that world and cause chaos that the other characters try to cope with in a ...more
Carol
Oct 16, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that i borrowed from the public library.

I watched the cartoon on TV when I was a kid. After reading the first comic, I found that it's something more than an entertaining read for children.

I like the last story "Moomin Begins a New Life" the best. Two prophets came to Moomin valley and their prophecies destroyed the peace and the way of life of the place. One claims that people should 'eat, drink and be happy! Back to nature! A free and happy life'. He encourages people to live
Katrina
It's difficult to explain Moomintrolls to anyone who hasn't experienced them firsthand. The most basic description I can manage is that they're Finnish/Swedish fairy tales about a group of exceedingly eccentric creatures who embark on a series of whimsical, meandering adventures. I own several of Jansson's Moomintroll books (the rest are on my wishlist, of course, and I will snatch them up as soon as I have disposable income again), as well as the first two volumes of Jansson's Moomin comic stri ...more
Jonna Gjevre
Mar 27, 2011 Jonna Gjevre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Uplifting and yet tinged with a faint melancholy, Tove Jansson’s lovely comic books about the free-spirited Moomintrolls make me very happy.

There are times when you really need Jansson’s family of Finnish trolls, and the family Moomin are up to any task. Confronted with the sad spectacle of a closeted and self-loathing dog who’s ashamed to admit he likes only cats, Mamma Moomin decorates another dog with tabby stripes so that the cat-loving dog will have a friend. Faced with a paranoid and pess
Emily
Dec 31, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two volumes into the five volume collection of Tove Jansson's Moomin comic strip, I continue to be smitten, although I did find the four stories in this volume to be uneven. I absolutely adored "Moominmama's Maid", and liked "Moomin Builds a House" very much, but didn't care for "Moomin's Winter Follies" and "Moomin's New Life" quite as much, probably because both of them include a love triangle involving the Snork Maiden, a plot-line I find a little tedious. They also both include a character n ...more
Sus
Feb 25, 2009 Sus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this much more than the first volume -- Jansson was really getting her feet under her in this new medium. Her graphism is getting more elegant and expressive (and funnier), her storylines more balanced, nuanced and satisfying. I found each of the four stories in this volume delightful.

- Winter arrives, and with it comes the terrible Mr. Brisk, who loves outdoor sports and thinks everyone else should too.

- When a Fillyjonk moves in next door, Moominmamma feels pressured into hiring a m
Artnoose Noose
Jun 19, 2008 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Artnoose by: Alisa
Further adventures of the hippo-shaped creatures known as Moomin and his family. Again, I can't tell you enough how wonderful these comics are. In this collection, Moomin builds a house that isn't totally perfect, but that's okay. And the Moomin family falls to peer pressure and hires a maid, but they don't really understand why the maid sees housecleaning as work and not fun. In fact, they can't understand why everyone sees living as work and not fun. Wash the dishes in the ocean! Have a naval ...more
Henna
Jun 04, 2013 Henna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the amazing Moomin books descripe the silly Moomin family living freely, enjoying every moment, gives the comics a much more comical and wilder access to Moomin family; (view spoiler). Oh, I laughed!
I think we have a lot to learn from our dear Moomins, their sincere attitude towards others and heart-warming anti-prejudice. Being deeply philosophical, entertaining and funny at the same time must be
karenology
Mar 24, 2008 karenology rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: awesome people
Not as solid as Book One, which was sublime in its hilarious dementia. Or maybe, like another reviewer suggested, you automatically love the first Moomin book you read and nothing else can compare. I didn't care so much for the first story in this collection, but the others were charming as usual (especially the one in which Moomin tries to build a house). Also, "Misabel" is a fantastic name and I am totally stealing that if I ever have a daughter!
Anoush Emrazian
Feb 03, 2015 Anoush Emrazian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jmrl, graphic-novel
I love the Moomin family and these four story lines wrre do fun. The last group, in addition to being funny and having great artwork was also an interesting commentary on society and being happy (are we happy because the rophet said this is the way to be happy or are we truly happy). This story showed two extremes, with one prophet an eat drink and be merry kind of guy and the next more hellfire and brimstone. needless to say, neither prophet 's teachings made the Moomins very happy.
Sweetmongoose
Jan 02, 2014 Sweetmongoose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed book 1 - and I like book 2 even better. "Moomin Mamma's Maid" is my particular favourite because in it, we get to see a different side to Moomin Mamma - her playful attitude toward housekeeping. In "Moomin Begins a New Life", Moomin Mamma gets to let her hair down too (something I like to see). If you have read the book series, it is fascinating to read the comic strip and see how various characters appear - Little My, for example, in this book.
Corinne
Mar 19, 2008 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been losing my self in the land of the moomins on a nearly annual basis for nearly forever, at least since I was 8. These books are beautifully bound and am happy to have them in my world. I find the comic strip genre less engaging, but I loved seeing all her illustrations and I've found these books have immense appeal to some of the very folks I know.

A trip to Finland has long been on my list, and now that I've learned of Muumimaailma (Moomin World), I have all the more reason.
Sara Forsberg
Jul 05, 2014 Sara Forsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second volume in this wonderful collection of the Moomin comics. These four stories have wonderful topics like winter sports and expectations, and freedom and what that word means. Philosophical and hilarious, with little moments of truth that makes you catch your breath. I guarantee everyone will recognize the wonderful idiosyncrasies of the Moomin family in themselves and others. Lovely book =).
Adam
Oct 28, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tove Jansson’s Moomin books are absurd comic delights that border on the edge of surreal, melancholy, and the fantastical. Whether an adult who missed these, or as gift for a child, these rank with the Roald Dahl and Dr. Seuss books but avoid the misanthropy of the former and the occasional frivolity of the latter. A weird wonderland of laugh out loud humor.
Angelique
Dec 29, 2016 Angelique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has by far been my favourite. I actually chuckled a few times and finally like Little My. Cuz boy does she have spunk! I also love that Moominpappa makes hooch! Lessons were LEARNED mofos.

Also, I loved this:
Moomin Mama's maid: You just pretend and pretend!
Moomin Mama: That's why we have such a good time!
Kathleen
Nov 12, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Moomins are fun and strange. I love the bizarre story lines. They remind me of weird dreams. I really like weird dreams. And they are sooo cute.

I bought this book in Finland. (The Moomin are like Mickey Mouse in Finland - they're everywhere.) And I paid too much because they had it at the Strand....that and the damn Euro. Ah well. Still a good purchase.
Ken
Feb 21, 2008 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the greatest comic discovery that I have made in years and years. I can hardly believe that I have spent my entire life in ignorance of Tove Jansson's brilliant, wonderful comic strip, originally published in the 1940's and 1950's. These edtiions, collection series of her stories, are beautifully bound and completely fun, strange, and beautiful. I cannot wait for them to release more.
Zen Cho
Jul 17, 2008 Zen Cho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I liked this even better than the first volume, because I'm really getting into the characters now -- I get all sad when Moominmamma is upset. The art is so good! Moomin is so cute! Their adventures are so adorable!

My favourite story is the one where their miserable maid comes to live with them. I liked that she doesn't become happy immediately, but does when she loses her fear.
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Ganges #1
  • West Coast Blues
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • Dungeon: The Early Years - Vol. 1: The Night Shirt
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

Moomin Comic Strip (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Moomintroll and the End of the World (Tove Jansson's first Moomin comic strip with essays on her life and work)
  • Moomin and the Brigands