Start by marking “Damage Control” as Want to Read:
Damage Control

Damage Control

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,415 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Trouble comes in threes, beginning when Dana's brother is murdered apparently during an attempted burglary. As she seeks the truth Dana must cope with a diagnosis of breast cancer & a cheating husband, and as she begins to make progress in her investigation people connected to her brother's death begin to turn up dead themselves.
Published February 14th 2007 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about Damage Control, please sign up.

JustMe I used Amazon to "search inside" for the dog's name, Max. There are only 4 results, the last one on page 21 of the paperback. Searched both "golden"…moreI used Amazon to "search inside" for the dog's name, Max. There are only 4 results, the last one on page 21 of the paperback. Searched both "golden" and "retriever" and found just one more mention on page 180 ("Her limited experience with dogs amounted to the neighbor's basset hound and her own untamed golden retriever."), but that's it. Odd. Some people shouldn't really have dogs, if they keep forgetting about them. ;-)(less)

Jean
This will be the first book I have reviewed here, chosen because it is the book I am currently reading, and for no other reason.

It is superficially a tale of a strong independent career woman who triumphs over everything - a murdered twin brother, a skunk of a husband, breast cancer - oh and by the way she's superintelligent and attractive to boot. Stock characters for post-feminist women who like to have their prejudices confirmed - all the women are damaged in some way, but rise above their ci
Bridgette Redman
Feb 24, 2012 Bridgette Redman rated it really liked it
If Robert Dugoni's novel Damage Control were a painting, it would be a stark landscape done in bold blacks and whites with splashes of blood red and portraits made difficult to look at by their lack of shading.

He'd also force his viewers to re-evaluate their definitions of success based on the colors he chose to paint that particular holy grail.

But Dugoni didn't choose a landscape to tell his story. Instead, the novelist who stormed the New York Times bestseller list with his first novel The J
Barbara
Mar 07, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it
When a young law professor named James Hill is viciously murdered during a home robbery in Seattle, Washington his twin sister Dana is devastated. Dana, also a lawyer, finds an expensive earring in James' apartment and sets off to help Detective Mike Logan investigate James' death. This requires interviewing people, traveling, and skipping work - which is difficult since Dana has a vengeful boss, a toddler daughter named Molly, and a neglectful self-centered husband. Nevertheless intrepid Dana c ...more
Brenda
Dec 27, 2014 Brenda rated it it was ok
This stand alone book started off so well and went slowly downhill. The beginning was well written, when the protagonist is introduced, and I was interested in her. The author put me on a slippery slope when he had her go to Maui alone. He lost me a little more when he showed a mystical, magical jeweler. Then things got very boring because there was just too much description of settings and that slowed down the action to a crawl. The author tried to use symbolism that, for me, just didn't work. ...more
Sue
Oct 17, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
This is my second Dugoni book. I first read "murder One' and was so impressed, I requested all the other novels he has written. I could not put this book down and stayed up late reading it last night.What a fabulous writer.

The major protagonist Dana Hill is a rising star at her Seattle law firm. The novel starts off with Dana getting a seies of bad news: her twin brother has been brutually murdered,she receives a very frightening diagnosis of possible breast cancer and also discovers her enviou
Martha☀
Nov 13, 2016 Martha☀ rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This is a lawyer/detective mystery, both formulaic and predictable. The men have all let themselves go, are unhappy with the life choices they have made and take out their frustrations on the women in their lives - whether wife, colleague or employee - through power or assault. The women are all too beautiful and allow themselves to be kept and controlled by the men. They tolerate disrespect and abuse, somehow believing that there is goodness in saving face. There was a slightly inter ...more
Ted Magnuson
Jan 14, 2011 Ted Magnuson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: who-dunnits
The title 'Damage Control' is spot on for this book. Hardworking big firm attorney Dana Hill is smitten by tyrant boss, her husband's infidelity, an aloof mother, and then; her brother's seemingly arbitrary murder. She tracks down the bad guys with easy-talking, Alfa-Romeo-driving detective Michael Logan. The trail winds through absolutely extremem country! Quite literate, the characters are well drawn.
NanaJ
Aug 20, 2016 NanaJ rated it liked it
A good mystery...will read more by this author
marilyn comer
Mar 19, 2017 marilyn comer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning! Enter at your on Peril. Highly Habit Forming!

If you are not a Dugoni addict yet, have a taste of this feast. Great dialogue and folks you've already met in your life journey (even if their names are different.) I neglected stuff I shouldn't because I couldn't put it down. Now to go find another one.
Glen Robins
Feb 27, 2017 Glen Robins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the way Mr. Dugoni wove this story together. It had lots of mystery and intrigue, some action, some social commentary, and some everyday dealing with everyday problems. It was a pretty quick and fun read.
Tony Guerra
Mar 05, 2017 Tony Guerra rated it really liked it
It was a page turner, some parts got a little slow, but the interactions b/w the husband and wife, mother and daughter seemed genuine and heartfelt.
Debbie
Feb 25, 2017 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

The suspense made this as a real page turner. I've just recently started reading the author and am absolutely hooked!
Yvonne Persa
Dec 21, 2016 Yvonne Persa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

Just when you think it's over it's not! Such a good book with twists and turns! I loved every bit of it.
Lyndie Blevins
Pages 401
Genre Fiction -Women lawyers, Murder Investigation
Ease of Read quick read
ISBN 978-0-446-57870-7

I was attracted to this book because...

I’m going to be at a writing workshop with Bob this fall and I wanted to get a taste for his writing. I’m now a fan.

This book was about
A successful female attorney faces two difficult life challenges within a very short time; a devastating medical diagnosis and the mu
Andrew
Dec 22, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
I was going to do it.

I was going to give this book 4 stars even though I was sort-of feeling dodgy about it. I mean, some of the subject matter isn't exactly the most sophisticated fare. (see: a clerk-flashing nympho who (view spoiler) Not exactly Walt Whitman.)

But despite that, by the final chapters I was firmly on board that I would have to say this was a really good book. Good scintillating p
Audrey
Jul 20, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-crime
Ed
May 11, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction Fans
This is my first Dugoni book and I enjoyed it immensely.

The major protagonist Dana Hill is a rising star at her Seattle law firm. Her life starts to implode when she receives a very frightening diagnosis of possible breast cancer and also discovers her envious husband is having an affair. The back breaker happens when her twin brother is brutally murdered.

With her only but reluctant ally, detective Michael Logan, Dana decides to do her own investigation of what appears, on the surface, to be no
Henry Lawrence
Sep 08, 2015 Henry Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: ready-to-read
It is always interesting to try to figure out the meaning of the title of a book. In this case, damage control is in the political sense. Dana has the world crushing around her. First, her twin brother is murdered. Second she is diagnosed with breast cancer.. Then she learns that her husband is having an affair.
Dana is such a strong, interesting character that I wondered why the author hadn't written additional books with her. But as the book unfolds, it becomes obvious that there is no room for
Carol  MacInnis
Nov 13, 2011 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the second Robert Dugoni book I have read and it even excelled my expectations since reading the first one!

Dana Hill is an attorney working with a very difficult man who wishes nothing but the very worst for Dana. His goal is to have her fired. Dana also has a young daughter and is in a very troubled marriage. She also has just discovered she has breast cancer and her twin brother has just been found murdered in his apartment from an apparent botched burglary. Although Dana is convinced
Merceda
Apr 25, 2013 Merceda rated it really liked it
Sharon Draper
Narrow the characters and plot

Where the editor?? Basically a good story but too many plotlines. Cut out the dead cancer stricken wife that had never lived in the tree house but had clothes waiting to be shared. Cut out the stupid Apple pies and the lost earrings that didn't know they were lost. A twin that is close unless he's not. The basics are there. The strings are in a knot.
Kristin Hanes
Jul 18, 2010 Kristin Hanes rated it really liked it
One thing that really impressed me about Damage Control was Robert Dugoni's skill in writing a female protagonist. He was spot-on in his observations and really had me relating to Dana Hill. I also liked that there was some sexual tension between Dana and the detective on the case, and that the story took place in both Washington State and Maui. It was a fast-paced thriller that also incorporated the main character's humanity.
Mickey Hoffman
Jul 28, 2011 Mickey Hoffman rated it liked it
A good read but I was a bit perplexed by where Dugoni wanted to go with this book.
At times I thought I'd stepped out of the genre into a book about relationships.
Fortunately, the author made me care about the characters enough so it wasn't too
distracting. Still, I'm so so tired about reading about divorced people or people
with bad marriages. Reflective of what goes on, of course, just not my cup of tea.
J. Ewbank
This book by Robert Dugoni is an interesting read. I enjoyed it but think that the author will get better as time goes by and more of his work is published.

The plot was interesting and it was good reading. The mystery and suspense fans will enjoy the book and will certainly want to read more by this author who will get better and better.

Looking forward to more from him.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Betty
Apr 17, 2013 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met the author a a writer's conference and he really is a very nice man. So I wanted to like his book. In some ways I did. The story line is compelling and really grips the reader. But there were some parts of it that I absolutely hated. Constant unnecessary use of f-bomb and very graphic sexual acts, are something I can do without. I probably won't read another one of his novels for this reason.
Razvan Banciu
Jan 24, 2014 Razvan Banciu rated it liked it
a promising start, but nothing special afterwards. the earrings story is hardly believable, as Elizabeth didn't notice their absence?!? killing for a medical file is not an usual (and simple!) method. Meyers, Grant and Crocket are too bad, the others have not enough depth. too many books about us presidency candidates...
Melissa
I met Rob at the SC Book Festival--nice guy. I like the strong heroine in this book. She's a pretty complex character for a legal thriller--maybe a little too complex in terms of the amount of bad luck she has. The plot is a little predicatable, but good suspense keeps you reading. So, not literary fiction, but an enjoyable read with more depth of character than is typical of thrillers.
Pamela Beason
Jun 25, 2012 Pamela Beason rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is an excellent suspense novel, and a believable one for a change. I enjoyed all the characters and was so relieved that all the women found their voices and the courage to stand up against corruption and violence, even when it might cost their lives. I'll definitely look for more books from this author.
Rosalee
Jul 30, 2011 Rosalee rated it really liked it
As this was the second of Dugoni's books I read, I was more prepared for the style of writing. The characters again make the book... particularly Dana and Logan. The "treehouse" was an interesting touch, though I don't think the artist in Maui needed to be a fortune teller. Glad she rescued the dog and cat though..
Mary
Aug 03, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
One of the fun things about checking out books at the library is that you're occasionally 'forced' to try out a new author when all the books you want to read have a waiting list. This is my first Dugoni book, but I'm now in search of the next one. A wonderful blend of murder, mystery, relationship.
  • The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice
  • The Rules of Silence
  • Seduction
  • The Suspect
  • The Passenger
  • The Things Between Us: A Memoir
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • The Chicago Way (Michael Kelly, #1)
  • Donde nadie te encuentre
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2)
  • The Bestseller
  • Magnus
  • The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte: The Secrets of a Mysterious Family: a novel
  • The Betrayed
  • Liebe ist nur ein Wort
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author of the Tracy Crosswhite series: My Sister's Grave, Bodily Harm, and In the Clearing, as well as the short prequels The Academy and Third Watch. The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in the Amazon top 10 for more than two years. He is also the author of the legal thriller serie ...more
More about Robert Dugoni...

“errand girl, lawyer, mommy, and to pacify a grown man’s” 0 likes