Start by marking “The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders” as Want to Read:
The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders

The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders (The Kindaichi Case Files #1)

Hajime Kindaichi is a teenage crime solver who's part Sherlock Holmes and part Hardy Boy. Each story or file takes Kindaichi to various places where a murder has occurred. Using ingenious deduction to debunk ghosts, curses, myths or folklore, Kindaichi proves that no mystery is unsolvable.
Published June 1st 2003 by TokyoPop (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1

Case Closed, Vol. 1 by Gosho AoyamaThe Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1 by Kanari YozaburoZodiac P.I., Vol. 1 by Natsumi AndoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaClamp School Detectives, Vol. 01 by CLAMP
Manga Detective Series
2nd out of 22 books — 25 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
319th out of 859 books — 3,279 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Sep 23, 2011 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, mystery
Very traditional whodunnit with a dozen characters -- in this case, members of a high school drama club -- trapped on an island with a murderer.

I would have liked a little more character development, particularly of the "detective" slacker boy. His transformation from goomba to bright, confident authority figure seems abrupt and unconvincing without more explanation than first exposure to crime.

Overall it was an entertaining first installment of a mystery series, and I look forward to seeing mo
Becky
Jun 22, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit predictable, but still very good! However, I did not like the drawing style much and I prefer "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed") much more. Love, love, love Gosho Aoyama's style.

This series was quite popular back in my high school days but I did not read it until now.
Mizuki
Mar 21, 2014 Mizuki rated it it was amazing
A manga about a serial murder case, which is based on/pays homage to The Phantom of the Opera! What more can I ask for?

Many years ago The Opera House Murders offered me the first taste from the Kindaichi Case Files series, the chilling murders and the heartbreaking ending of this murder mystery will always stay in my mind.

Although I must admit after re-reading this story, I found some of the plot twists are a bit unrealistic and cliched, and the murderer had relied too heavily on coincidences. P
Kathryn Leonard
This manga was brilliant from beginning to end.I was captivated by the classic animation style.Also it's wonderful devotion to a typical detective story.A very thrilling and crisply animated manga.I have no complaints.
Sinta Nisfuanna
Perjalanan Kindaichi bersama klub teater ke sebuah pulau terpencil disuguhi dengan aksi pembunuhan yang menyontek kisah Phantom of The Opera. Villa peninggalan bangsawan Zaman Meiji ini mempertontonkan kematian Orie sebagai awal pembunuhan beruntun. Latar belakang pembunuhan diperkirakan karena bunuh diri Fuyuko yang menutup umur dengan ‘mempertunjukkan’ dialog saat sang tokoh Phantom of The Opera memperlihatkan wajah buruknya.

Dendam Fuyuko masih membayangi klub teater dan Kindaichi berusaha men
Misa Niranon
Oct 06, 2016 Misa Niranon rated it it was amazing
Mike
The Opera House Murders introduces us to Hajime Kindaichi, deceptively smart grandson of a famous detective and under-achieving best friend of straight-A student Miyuki Nanase. An isolated retreat for a drama club practice already darkened by the recent suicide of the former lead gets even more tragic when guest start dying in a similar manner to the play they're rehearsing - The Phantom of the Opera.

This is a murder mystery with all the classical trimmings. Our cast and the setting is slowly es
Melydely
May 07, 2012 Melydely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: may-books
This book was AMAZING! The way the mystery was plotted was excellent, and the pictures inside looked like snapshots from the movie (if they made one). I give praise to Kanari Yozaburo for an excellent plot, and Fumiya Sato for great art. My friend insisted I read this, and this has probably been one of the best pieces of advice I've been given. But like a cigarette, it's addictive. Once my eyes read page one, I couldn't stop.

Hajime Kindachi is well known for being a first class loser. His grades
Lady Knight
I was really impressed with this one! This being my first foray into mystery à la manga, I really do think that this style of storytelling really fits the subject matter. I'm eager to carry on with the series and see if my opinion changes.

Kindaichi is your typical underachiever, he skips school, never pays attention when he does show up and is something of a class clown. But he would do anything for his best friend. When she begs him to come with her drama class to a secluded island to rehearse
May 27, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition of the Kindaichi Case Files is a bilingual version of the story from the Kindaichi Case series "Murder at the Hotel Opera" originally published in Japanese in the first 2 volumes of the Kindaichi Case Files in 1993. In this edition, translated Engish text is used in the main panels of the comic pages with the Japanese text annotated around the panels.

This murder mystery story starts the Kindaichi mystery series and is an entertaining story that plays on the "Phantom of the Opera" as
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is one of my more memorable manga series. It goes along with Kindaichi, grand son of a famous detective, as murder seems to follow him at every turn. He's followed by his childhood friend (whom he won't admit he loves) and though he's really lazy, he's also smart, and ends up solving the case. He gets help from the cops too (or rather, they get help from him). It's like a mystery tv show but on paper, which is what I love the most about it. Only one other manga series I know can imitate the ...more
dhani  Machfud
Saya lebih cenderung menyukai manga Detective Kindaichi dibanding Detective conan,..gak ada anak SMA yang menciut menjadi anak SD, gak ada spatu ajaib yg bisa bikin tendangan jadi sakti, gak ada adegan melawan penjahat dengan tendangan bola ala Maradona dan gak ada adegan2 non sense lainnya. Kindaichi jalan ceritanya lebih terkesan thriller,...penyelesaian kasusnya lebih masuk di akal menurutku. Yah,..walaupun konon pernah bermasalah karena mencomot nama Kosuke Kindaichi, Detektif fiksi karya ...more
Jeffrey
May 07, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
What can I say? I love Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo. I keep hoping with the advent of digital books that someone will localize the remaining stacks and stacks of Kindaichi stories, but until then, I have to go back and re-read the old stuff after years of not seeing it so that it's somewhat new to me even if I still remember who the killer is.

I wish that more was made of the fact that Kindaichi is a genius, but for some reason doesn't do well in school. It's mentioned here, but it doesn't seem to
Kellvea
Apr 30, 2013 Kellvea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: december, mangas
These books are truly amazing, its about a teenage boy who everyone thinks is dumb, but one teacher knows that he scored the highest on the entrance exam and that, in middle school, he took an IQ test and scored 180. In this book, he is exploring an old house and he's staying there for some time, but people end up being killed because of an old legend. I recommend this to everyone because its very interesting, once you've read one you cant stop.
Jenna
Feb 25, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing
While the art style is a little dated, the humor is great and the mysteries grip you and you can't stop reading. I also enjoyed the panel layout, in that I didn't feel inundated with enormous speech bubbles and tons of text, and rather it was balanced (unlike Death Note, which is also great but made my head hurt at some points). I'm not too good at figuring out what the culprit did before the detective himself does, but I enjoyed watching it unravel. Must read more!

Read up to volume 5.
Jessi
Oct 24, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it
Wish that my local library had this series. This is a very popular manga mystery series about a teenager who has Holmesian abilities though many of his teachers and classmates assume he's stupid. This book has him joining the drama club as they go out to a desolate island to practice for nationals. However, the drama club has a problem. One of their members committed suicide and now someone is trying to get even. This is framed around the Phantom of the Opera which the drama club is performing.
dhani  Machfud
Baca lagi!! lupa untuk keberapa kalinya...

Manga favoritku,..tokoh detektif favorit ketiga ku selain Holmes dan Poirot. Ceritanya lebih dewasa, lebih rumit dan lebih masuk akal dibanding detektip konan yang gak banget itu.

Ceritanya khas Kindaichi; pembunuhan tertutup. kali ini pembunuhannya berlatar belakang dendam yang terinspirasi dari kisah 'Phantom of the opera'.
Sae-chan
Jan 09, 2013 Sae-chan rated it liked it
Shelves: japanese-writers
Nice graphics, over the top story. One thing didn't sit well with me, though. Is wearing pants like that the style at the time?

I just knew that at one point Matsujun was playing Kindaichi. I saw the one with Dohmoto-san playing. Dorky enough :-)
Teen
Hajime is a teenaged crime solver but even he isn't prepared when his friend Miyuki invites him to a rehearsal for "Phantom of the Opera" and the cast starts dying in ways mimicking events in the play.
Hadi Wijaya
Dec 29, 2010 Hadi Wijaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I prefer Kindaichi rather than Conan since it give long detective case in one book (sometime continue to other book) and give detail personality of each character. However, the movie doesn't hit that good.
Samantha Arias
Dec 02, 2013 Samantha Arias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I loved this book along with the many other volumes in this series. Its got great art, not overly sexual like most manga can get, and it has a great story line. The illustrator did a good job adding the creepiness factor to this horror book. I recommend it to anyone into horror and comics/manga.
Muhajjah Saratini
Reuni pertama kencan dengan Kindaichi, cukup 3 bintang. Saya ingat dengan kekagetan bahwa tidak selalu yang jahat yang jadi korban.
Karaoke OK
May 27, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-okay
[Series Length: 27 volumes / Read: volumes 1-4]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Noctourne
Mar 08, 2011 Noctourne rated it liked it
It had a few fanservice scenes that I would have been much happier without and I also think that the story was very dark...though understandably so. I think it did things well for a horror book.
Sian
Aug 20, 2010 Sian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aku suka buku-buku serial ini. Komik yang sangat menarik. Suasana misterius dan ketegangan tetap bisa terbangun, walaupun tidak sehebat kalau dalam bentuk novel tentunya.
Jaycee Lam
Apr 25, 2016 Jaycee Lam rated it it was amazing
''We cant deny he is a murder. He has to pay for his crime but we still have to admit, his love is pure...''
T.
Jun 24, 2009 T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fun, if not campy read. If you don't mind the "stereotypical mystery" and many cliches, it really is a fun read.
PeaR L
Jan 18, 2015 PeaR L rated it it was amazing
เลมแรกทีไดรูจักคินดะ
ตังแตนันกตามอานมาตลอด
ชอบมากกวาโคนันอีก
อิเดกเปรตนันอยู ป.1 มายีสิบกวาปีแระ
Adinda
Oct 01, 2009 Adinda added it
opera house negh seri yg kupikir nyeremin deh..emm komik kindaichie negh jauh lebih ekspresif nunjukin aspek kriminalitas drpd conan..
Sinistmer
Sep 02, 2012 Sinistmer rated it liked it
Fun, engaging storyline! Thought the characters were a little flat, but the story was enjoyable. Great for teens.
Shounen Manga Boo...: Kindaichi Case Files Discussion 2 6 Jan 20, 2015 01:25PM
  • Topeng Kaca 3
  • Detective School Q Vol. 1
  • 名探偵コナン 40 (Detective Conan #40)
  • Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 4 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #4)
  • Lupin III, Vol. 1
Yōzaburō Kanari (金成 陽三郎) is a Japanese manga story writer, best known for creating the Kindaichi Case Files series.

He made his debut in 1991 with manga Chōzunō Silver Wolf (illustrated by Masashi Asaki).
More about Kanari Yozaburo...

The Kindaichi Case Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 2: The Mummy's Curse