Start by marking “We're Different, We're the Same” as Want to Read:
We're Different, We're the Same

We're Different, We're the Same

Illustrated in full color. The colorful characters from Sesame Street teach
young children about racial harmony. Muppets, monsters, and humans compare
noses, hair, and skin and realize how different we all are. But as they look
further, they also discover how much we are alike.
Published October 13th 1992 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We're Different, We're the Same, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Different, We're the Same

Latosha Finch
Oct 21, 2013 Latosha Finch rated it really liked it
Shelves: literacy-shelf
This multicultural Sesame Street book depicts how we are the same and how we are different. The author, Bobbi Kates, utilizes text in order to pinpoint the things that we all have in common (our noses are used to smell) as well as those things that make us different (our noses are different shapes, sizes, and colors). Our skin is not the same color but yet we are the same on the inside. We all have blood, muscles, and bones underneath out skin. The illustrator uses life like pictures. This is be ...more
Chanae Wills
Oct 07, 2012 Chanae Wills rated it it was amazing
We’re Different, We’re the Same is a narrative that explains that although we may be different on the outside, we are the same on the inside (ex. “ Our hair is different. Our hair is the same. It grows on us in several places. It warms our heads and frames our faces.”). There are no main characters in this book. There are just different types of children and some Sesame Street characters throughout the book. As a literacy teacher, I could use this book to discuss repetition (ex. “Our eyes are di ...more
Halea
This is a Sesame Street book that is very colorfully illustrated and teaches a great message to children. The children learn about different races and physical differences and how to respect each other no matter what race they are or how different they may look. They also learn about similarities that they have with others that look nothing like them. This is a great read for children learning about the differences that people share and compare.
Katrina Kim
* Explain the concept of being different on the outside, but being the same on the inside.

*This is geared more towards students in the kindergarten to first grade.
-For younger students it might be harder to grasp the concept; they may get confused on hair being different, but being the same. It needs to be explained that there are different types of hair, but it’s still hair.

*Use students as props because we are all different, but the same
- For example, I could have four boys with different ha
Brittany Schaefer
This is an awesome book, on how every body is different, but then it goes through and tells you all the things that are the same. but i loved how colorful all the pages are.
Cheryl
Apr 09, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about diversity. All of us have the same parts even if they look a little different.
ReadingWench
Fantastic book on why we are all the same and why we are all the same. Every child should read this book.
Megan Brooks
Oct 21, 2013 Megan Brooks rated it it was amazing
I love Sesame Street. The author does a great job to show we are all different but similar and able to tie it into children’s everyday life. For example “ Our hair is different. Our hair is the same. It grows on us in several places. It warms our heads and frames our faces.” As a teacher I would use this book to show we are all different but we are all the same. Also this story uses a lot of repetition. Not much information could be found of Bobbi Kates. Joe Mathieu does all the illustrations fo ...more
Shauna
Oct 10, 2015 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Great book to think about differences and similarities.
Erica
Oct 08, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it
Fantastically simple. Great little book about diversity.
Alunafowler
Nov 19, 2012 Alunafowler rated it it was amazing
The picture book we're different We're the same by Bobbi J. Kates is a great learning book for infants and toddlers. It introduces the concept of differnt body fuctions and body details, while also comparing and contrasting the details so that children could understand that we are all the same, but different in our own way. The illustration done by Joe Mathieu is outlined beatifully with amazing and intruging colors that children will endure.
This book is great for day care children to start lear
Jj
Feb 12, 2016 Jj added it
b
Heather
I read this to my almost 3-year-old to try to include him in our study of the human body. He just kept looking at me like I was insane. The different pictures of noses or eyes or whatever along with the text "we're different, we're the same" didn't make sense to him. They were all different so how could they be the same?

He also has no exposure to the Muppets so he was a little freaked out by all the weirdness.

My older boys might have understood it better, but I didn't like it enough to try.
SB
Mar 03, 2016 SB rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Pictures show the fact that we all have parts about us that may look different, but ultimately function similarly.
Blakeley Norris
Nov 29, 2010 Blakeley Norris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
I think this would be a great book to read during Social Studies. The characters of Sesame Street explore the different cultures and colors of skin. This book is great for teaching about diversity and being in harmony with different races. It also teaches us to discover how we are alike and how we are all different.

Angela
Apr 14, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because of the subject. I am also a big fan of Sesame Street. I liked how the book compared all the different "monsters." But the "monsters" realized that even though they are different on the outside, they are still the same on the inside. Loved it!
Allison
This book could be used to teach children about cultural differences. It teaches the lesson that everyone is different, but that is what makes them special. It points out the many differences among the characters, but also the many similarities.
Brooklyn Saplings
Jan 25, 2013 Brooklyn Saplings rated it it was amazing
This is one of Aurora May's favorites, and it was a hit with Owen and Enzo as well. All the kids loved to point out their eyes, nose, ears and other body parts that are the same but different among us.
Jessica
Dec 16, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
The titel drew me to this book. A nice (slightly preachy) book about appreciating differences (different eyes, noses, skin)--showing also how we are all the same (how are eyes the same, etc.)
Karen
Oct 20, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Features the Sesame Street Muppets. A good book to come back to again and again.
Mandy Groover
Great for teaching young students about differences between races and genders.
Sep 17, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Good beginning of the year book, teaching empathy re: feelings.
Buxmont Uu
JENF-Kat
Sarah added it
Sep 19, 2016
Alison David
Alison David marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016