Start by marking “A Proper Mistress (The "Proper" Series)” as Want to Read:
A Proper Mistress (The "Proper" Series)

Read Book* *Different edition

A Proper Mistress (Proper Series #2)

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A Scandalous Impropriety

In order to protect his elder brother from disinheritance, Theodore Winslow must incur his father's wrath. How better than to marry a low-born strumpet? He sets out to find someone to play the part in return for a handsome sum, and returns to the family home with a "fallen woman" as his betrothed. His ruse goes awry though, as he soon begins to disc

Published (first published November 1st 2000)

Michelle
Sep 02, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ending speech wasn't as swoon worthy as the rest of the book.
Maria
Mar 25, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: rainy day read, beach read, Regency romance
I read this book because sometimes I have trouble sleeping and need a short fluff romance novel to tire myself out. It certainly didn't hurt that it was available as a free download in the kindle store! I have to say, though, that it was an entertaining story, and I found that I couldn't stop reading. It is worth noting that this book is the second in a series, and there are enough mentions of other characters to cause a little confusion for the reader.

First, for the bad news: Our hero, Theodore
Sarah (saz101)
The wastrel of an elder brother Theodore Winslow hero-worships has gotten himself disinherited. Again. So Theo sets out to make his father change his mind--by getting himself disinherited. What better way to arrange it than bringing a woman of ill-refute back to the ancestral home... and telling daddy you plan to marry.

This relatively short romance is a fun romp, with fun characters. Our heroine has had a very tough life, but she's a joy. She's never bitter, never regrets, and finds a little bi
Cara M
Aug 18, 2011 Cara M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I really enjoyed every minute of reading this book. I was highly suspicious at first, because, well, because I'm kind of a sucker for the unrepentant sex worker makes a non-sexual connection with someone, but has too much pride to be rescued, etc, etc. Maybe just because I tend to write it. So in this case, i was like 'A cook? Seriously? And a virgin too?' I think the reason that I loved the first book I read of S. Donnelly's was because it involved a fallen woman, not very far fallen, but en ...more
Tonileg
This has a mistaken identity plot. No spoilers so if you want to know more ... The cook in a high-end cat house takes up a short term position as fiance for a sweet second son that has decided to dis-inherit himself by shocking his father with a terrible fiance.
This book was sweet and there was some cute scenes but the editor missed many grammar and spelling errors which threw me out of the story as well as leaving in many repetitive words, like Blazes. There is a plethora of swear words in eve
Stephanie
Sep 24, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Let me preface this by saying that on what is arguably Providence's most historic street, Benefit Street, there is a little garden with a stone bench. This is no ordinary garden. Once in a while a creature of some sort will drop off romance novels that she (I am assuming it's a she) has read for others to enjoy. After walking by the books many times, I decided to take one.

Anyway, this was the first romance novel I've ever read and it was way better than I expected. I was drawn in, finished it qu
Sara
Ok this is a book that had my winning formula: Poor heroine falls in love with a Lord.
Bah, you fail.
Ok she's a whore-house cook who is "bought" by a dude to fool his dad into thinking she's his intended wife. So he can be DISinherited from his family. Yes, that's right, disinherited. Already i hate him, I mean what the fuck. The other thing is, she's more embarrassed about being a cook then a whore. He must never know she's a cook, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE FUCKING HORRIBLE! A whore is fine.
I lite
Seema
Feb 02, 2016 Seema rated it really liked it
A well written trad regency..story of Molly and Theo
Emily
I think the only reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of one is because as horribly written and as unedited as it was, it was mildly entertaining. But if I have to read the words "blazes" or "gads" in an historical romance again, I'm going to scream.

And last time I checked, Regency England nobility didn't use the word "ain't." Seriously.
Dancer
Sep 06, 2011 Dancer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Ms. Donnelly that I have read. Although the story line was very predictable (man hires a "whore" to act as his intended to satisfy/dissatisfy his family), I enjoyed the depth of Theo's and Molly's characters. I would probably read Terrance Winslow's story to see if Donnelly becomes a new author I follow.
Andrea Jackson
I love regency romances with their dramas of class and manners. This was an entertaining twist on an old trope of marrying outside one's class. Lots of typos and misspellings but it was a decent story. A sweet romance, no sex.
Jae Roth
nice. Cliched, predictable... but a pleasant, mindless read. Except the hero is somewhat lacking in appeal. Theo is more a spoiled, stubborn, petulant boy than a romantic leading man.
Calli
Aug 10, 2012 Calli rated it liked it
Entertaining fluff. I'm sorry, though, throwing 'ducks' into every other sentence does not make for much of a Cockney accent!
Shonnie
Mar 26, 2012 Shonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book
The dialect was sometimes confusing and I believe it took me approximately 3 days to complete (with a weekend of nothing to do).
Kilian Metcalf
Just as much light-hearted fun on the re-read as it was the first time around. I wish there were recipes, though.
Kimngan Tran
Even though that I'd only read a preview of the book, I didn't quite like it as I thought that I would.
Cary
Oct 16, 2011 Cary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read that was fun. The plot was kind of routine but the characters made it work.
Stacy
Jun 11, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just can't get enough of these historical romance novels! Another good one that made me smile.
Dakota
Jan 07, 2013 Dakota rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story, but I had to give it 3 1/2 stars because it drug a little too much.
Marchelle
Feb 19, 2012 Marchelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple formula for the story but a nice read. I enjoye it.
Mary
Apr 07, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if I should make a Regency shelf...
Carolann Madding
Carolann Madding rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Wes Boggs
Wes Boggs rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Jan Taylor
Jan Taylor rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kodelle
Kodelle rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Chloe Brown
Chloe Brown rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Michelle Boyea
Michelle Boyea marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 01, 2015 01:55PM
  • Charity Begins at Home
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • The Templar's Seduction (The Templar Knights, #3)
  • Into The Woods
  • Simon's Lady
  • The Heart's Haven
  • Almost Perfect
  • The Wedding Wager
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Tempting
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Soul Search
  • FREEDOM : The Rake And The Recluse : Part One
  • Say You Love Me
  • Pemberley to Waterloo (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles, #2)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
Shannon Donnelly's writing has won numerous awards, including a RITA nomination for Best Regency, the Grand Prize in the "Minute Maid Sensational Romance Writer" contest, judged by Nora Roberts, RWA's Golden Heart, the Laurel Wreath, the Winter Rose, the Bookseller's Best, and multiple finalists in the Holt Medallion, the Colorado ACE, the Golden Quill, and others. Her work has repeatedly earned 4 ...more
More about Shannon Donnelly...

Proper Series (3 books)
  • Proper Conduct (Proper Series, #1)
  • Barely Proper (Proper Series, #3)