Start by marking “The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide” as Want to Read:
The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide

The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Whether it's a delicate green tea or a bracing Assam black, a cup of tea is a complex brew of art and industry, tradition and revolution, East and West. In this sweeping tour through the world of tea, veteran tea traders Mary Lou Heiss and Robert J. Heiss chronicle tea's influence across the globe and provide a complete reference for choosing, drinking, and enjoying this b ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Tea

Salt by Mark KurlanskyAt Home by Bill BrysonGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondThe Professor and the Madman by Simon WinchesterA History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
Histories of the Everyday
27th out of 204 books — 234 voters
The Book of Tea by Okakura KakuzōJames Norwood Pratt's New Tea Lover's Treasury. The Classic T... by James Norwood PrattTea by Kevin GascoyneThe Story of Tea by Mary Lou HeissThe Tea Enthusiast's Handbook by Mary Lou Heiss
Tea for Me Please
4th out of 86 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Alissa Thorne
I finally decided to give up on this book upon realizing that after all of the pages that I've struggled through, I'm still not 100% clear on how the production of green tea differs from the production of black tea.

The writing quality is poor, and the organization of content is worse. For example, while there is a huge chapter devoted to one stage of the tea production process, manufacture, in the descriptions for each varietal of tea it often wanders back and forth through the other stages, rep
This read like a mix between a textbook and an infomercial. I dislike not finishing books so I persevered, but I definitely heaved a sigh of relief and a "Thank God!" when I finished. If it wasn't for the anecdotal stories included in the margin blocks of the chapters the book would have excruciating to read... instead of just really boring. If you have this book I recommend looking for the text in the blue blocks and skipping the rest.
Jan 13, 2013 Harold rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone curious about tea
Recommended to Harold by: owners of the TeaSource in Highland Park
A beautifully illustrated and comprehensive book about the a humble commodity indigenous to the tropical forest of the southwestern Chinese province of Yunnan, bordering Myanmar (Burma) and Laos.

It provides the reader with a tour de force exploration of the social history, varieties, processing, geographical distribution and medicinal benefits of the tea plant (Camellia sinensis).

Among the fascinating facts about tea revealed in the book was that during China's last four dynasties: the Tang, Son
Tim Gannon
It is the most definitive text on tea I haver ever read - It goes through the history of tea - the different tea bushes - how the different countries grow and process different types of tea - how to brew tea to perfection - culture and customs surrounding tea - recipes with tea - fair trade with tea - resources on buying tea - if you want to know about tea, this is the book!
This was an incredibly disappointing book. First, it was full of typos, tortuously crafted sentences, and formatting errors. It had some of the worst editing that I have encountered in a published book. The book read like it was written by a committee: the chapters did not flow into each other; lots of information was needlessly repeated, yet it was never very well explained; and the book did not seem to be a coherent whole. I don't feel any more informed about tea than before I opened this book ...more
The Story of Tea is a beautiful piece of work, valuable to all tea lovers. Many gorgeous photographs suggest the cultivative art, while a strong discussion of production methods in various regions is the real heart of the book. For those interested in a description of production down to the village level, this is one of the few works that will provide it. This section is followed by a longish chapter called "Journeying along the tea trail," which is both meandering and somewhat redundant, while ...more
I liked that this book covered not only manufacturing and industry, taste, regional variances, and terroir but included the history of tea and its relationship to global economics and colonialism, the different plants, particular teas, and rituals. I especially liked that the authors included a section on organic and fair trade regulation in regards to tea. I wish they'd included more but they named the important institutions and included a comparison of European standards to US standards.

You ca
I first picked up this book last August, in Santa Cruz, CA. I had just driven up the evening before from Monterrey, and I needed to check into my Air BNB in San Francisco by a certain time that evening. After spending some time in the UCSC Arboretum, I felt that I should go see the famous beach. And yet, during a stop in town to get lunch, I was drawn to a tea house. I spent the afternoon there contentedly drinking Chinese Dragon Well tea and skimming this book.

Why do I bother telling this story
Liked it, but I think it works best as a reference book. In attempting to read it cover to cover, I just found it to be too much; it felt repetitive in places, and in need of editing down. After reading up to chapter 4, I started skimming much more.

I definitely appreciated the knowledge of the authors, but the book was trying to take tea into the territory usually reserved for wine fetishists (and I'm not using that term as a compliment), and ultimately, it wasn't a place I wanted to go. I just
David McDanal
Excellent encyclopedia of tea. Pretty much the only book on the subject you will need. Gets pretty nerdy, in a good way.
Currently obsessed with tea - don't know if normal people would find this book interesting.
I enjoyed the one chapter I read, which was about the history of tea. The pictures were beautiful, and the writing was interesting. But I had to admit to myself that I wasn't going to read much of this book, and I took it back to the library instead of renewing it.
I read when I'm in bed at night, and I always take a book with me during the day, reading as opportunity provides. This comprises 50 percent or more of my reading. This book is heavy, and it's an awkward size, so I didn't take it to my
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
Interesting enough, but so not what I was looking to read. However, if you have an interest in tea, and the Eastern history thereof, check this out.
It's an encyclopedia of all things tea from its history to harvesting and cultivation to consumption.
This exhaustive and comprehensive survey of tea is also a fascinating and enjoyable read. The authors share their extensive experience as tea sellers through lavishly illustrated chapters on history, the tea bush, manufacturing processes, and journeys to tea producing regions. Additional sections cover tea styles, brewing methods, culture and customs, health benefits, and cooking with tea. Favorite passage: "a simple cup of tea is far from a simple matter."
Ugh... I am seriously disappointed here! It is a shame that this book is such a disaster, because the authors clearly know a phenomenal amount about tea, its origins, the intricacies of its flavors... but the writing and organization of the book are utterly subpar. I find it almost impossible to read this book. Indeed, I have only read the first eighty pages or so, but I'm drawing the line, throwing in the towel. It's going back to the library tomorrow.
This book is a little of everything--history, tea varieties, methods of tea production, traditional ways of consuming tea, how to shop for tea, etc. As such, it may or may not be what you want. No one section is really exhaustive enough for a reader with already-specialized interests. As a general guide for someone who loves tea, but doesn't know a lot about it, it's a quite nice introduction and a great springboard for additional research.
Jun 02, 2015 Anie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tea lovers
An informative and detailed guide to tea, especially in regards to the different types of tea and styles of tea production. Unfortunately, its portrayal of tea workers as happy go-lucky, well-treated workers is rather ridiculous, and it neglects several other worthwhile tea topics. The writing could also use some work; it's a bit wordy and awkward at times. However, as a guide to tea, it's worth flipping through.
Rena Sherwood
The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide by married couple and gourmet food store owners Mary Lou and Robert J. Heiss. Focuses only on teas made from Camellia sinensis – growing, history, preparation, serving and recipes. If it's not in here, it's not worth knowing. Everything you ever (or never) wanted to know about tea. Includes some gorgeous photos.
Some parts were interesting? But a lot of it was vague/muddled, repetitive and not terribly critical.

They could have used a better editor or two for clarity especially, and typos (for the foreign words that is. F.e. they were pretty consequent in writing usucha, which is the correct term I think, and then suddenly used usacha for a whole subchapter) etc.
This is a great reference book, so I bought it for myself! I learned that black and oolong teas are not fermented, but "oxidized" and the differences among various kinds of Chinese and Japanese green teas as well as the definition of "white" tea.
This isn't exactly a cookbook but I'm filing it as such because it's about food.

It's history filled and some parts are pretty interesting if you care this much about tea... it's a little bit snobby though and at times a bit boring.
A good general reference book on tea for those interested in tea and its origins. It covers a little of everything from history, tea production, customs and cultures and a few recipes to try.
Jun 07, 2013 ~v~ marked it as to-read
This book is so cool: I love drinking tea so to learn little known historical and cultural facts about various teas is awesome! I read it periodically as it's placed near my TV for a quick read.
Janne Asmala
A true labor of love, this book does a great job at communicating the story and tradition behind the teas we drink through firsthand experiences, encyclopedic information, and beautiful pictures.
This is the book that almost all Tea Master's suggest reading and owning. It is well written and it doesn't feel like a textbook. This book is very full and rich with so much knowledge.
This book is great on lots of fronts. The pictures are gorgeous, the history is great the breath of coverage of the beverage is almost staggering.

I really enjoyed this book!
Sep 22, 2012 Sarah marked it as there-is-still-hope

Very interesting facts about the tea industry but this book wasn't well formatted for the kindle. I will definitely read it as an actual book.
Julia Rojas
I read this book a few days ago. This book talked about the history of tea. It had a lot of facts in it. It was really interesting and I liked this book.
Eva Luna
Beautiful - I was inspired by their thoughtful structure and the depth of their knowledge. I'm going to visit the authors tomorrow in northampton.
  • Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to West
  • A Social History of Tea
  • The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea
  • James Norwood Pratt's New Tea Lover's Treasury. The Classic True Story of Tea
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties
  • For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula for the World's Favourite Drink
  • The True History of Tea
  • Tea: Addiction, Exploitation, and Empire
  • Classic of Tea: Origins and Rituals
  • The Empire of Tea
  • The Coffee House: A Cultural History
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • 20,000 Secrets of Tea: The Most Effective Ways to Benefit from Nature's Healing Herbs
  • Drink: A Cultural History of Alcohol
  • Milk: The Surprising Story of Milk Through the Ages
  • Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit
The Tea Enthusiast's Handbook: A Guide to the World's Best Teas Green Tea: 50 Hot Drinks, Cool Quenchers, And Sweet And Savory Treats Hot Drinks: Cider, Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate, Spiced Punch, Spirits

“A simple cup of tea is far from a simple matter.” 46 likes