Start by marking “Miss Spider's Tea Party” as Want to Read:
Miss Spider's Tea Party

Miss Spider's Tea Party (Miss Spider)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,041 ratings  ·  140 reviews
You are cordially invited to the most charming tea party ever tossed by a lonely, lovable, ladylike spider. With vibrant oil paintings and elegant rhyming verses, renowned toy designer David Kirk serves up an irresistible story about the rewards of kindness and the importance of friendship. Full color.
Published April 1st 1994 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Spider's Tea Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Spider's Tea Party

Kathryn
Sep 25, 2009 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bug fans, those seeking counting boks
I liked this better than the original "Miss Spider" story but I doubt I will continue the series. Despite the tea party theme (I do so love tea parties!), I just was not captivated. I am sure David Kirk's vibrant, fun illustrations will appeal to many, they just are not my cup of tea (no pun intended). Still, this is a nice counting book (up to twelve) and presents a good message about not being afraid of someone simply based on appearances or preconceived notions.
Miri
Miss Spider wants to have a tea party but all the bugs are afraid of her.
Farhana
Here is another interesting read that I found. David Kirk writes about a spider who wants to have tea with someone and is looking to make some friends. The book introduces a spider who is comfortably brewing up some tea and looking outside of her web to see if she could enjoy this with new friends. The reason why I enjoyed this book is because it had a lovely rhyme to it which made the pace of the book quite fast and I was able to see the story develop. The story continues by portraying the spid ...more
Caren Nelson
We LOVE this childrens book! The story is a charming parable for our time--don't judge a book by it's cover. Miss Spider just wants to have tea with friends, but everyone assumes she wants to EAT them with her tea! The pages are gorgeous (including the way the paper feels, I know, I'm weird) and the illustrations are vibrant and just a little quirky. I love the poetry of the story as well. One kids book I could read a million times and I still love it just as much!
Olivia

Miss Spider's Tea Party is a book about different insects coming to a tea party hosted by a very friendly lady spider.
The book has bright and colourful illustrations of different types of insects. The book uses counting and maths, the insects start with one and increase each time (1 spider, 2 beetles, 3 fireflies)
The book could be used for science as it identifies different insects.
The story teaches moral values that we should not judge others by appearance and reputation and that we should ma
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
In the story, a spider discovers the challenge of making a friend. This lonely spider decides if she had friends, she would serve them cake and tea. As Miss Spider searches to find guests for her special tea party, she finds that her good intentions are not understood by her peers. Beetles, fireflies and bumblebees were all invited to the party, although they didn't feel they'd care to be a spider's meal. After many rejections, one tiny rain drenched moth will give Miss Spider a chance.

The colo
Maria Armenta
Miss Spider and Holley explore other car lots (including Meg's Wings n' Things) and encounter a few near misses, but all ends well thanks to the help of benevolent Moth Sue.
The book's clever and original verse is laced with subtle ironies that won't be lost on you or your little ones; in the first spread, for example, a note arrives "snail mail," because the postal carrier is a snail.
It presents softly the mystery of attraction, devotion and pairing between individuals who from outward appeara
Eagle Heights2
You will like Miss Spider's Tea Party because of the illustrations at the end. My favorite detail is the how they are friends and they will always be together. If you like bugs you will like this book. Ella
Margaret
Aug 13, 2014 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade
"Miss Spider's Tea Party" was the first book selection in Week 1 for Memoria Press First Grade's Enrichment Literature list. First my budding reader (AppleBlossom is five years and 11 days old) flipped through and looked at the pictures and asked why Miss Spider looked sad. We discussed how reading the words would let us know why. So we read, and we counted, we rhymed, and we discussed. I do enjoy the vibrant illustrations, and I loved reading about how David Kirk went from toy store entrepreneu ...more
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
We got this book as a birthday present when my son Sasha turned five. It has been a favorite of ours ever since and we have read it many times though the years. Twice it has been saved at the last minute from the "to get rid of" pile from my husband!

The book was written and drawn by the same person: David Kirk.

I love the illustrations which are oil on paper and have a zany twist as if they were spray painted on with a three dimensional roundness quality because some things are in better focus t
Mary
It seems no one wants to be invited to Miss Spider's Tea Party, after all, what self-respecting insect could hope to escape alive? Yet, Miss Spider persists in her invitation throughout this fun Memorable Animal tale. The colorful, full page, illustrations are coupled with rhyming text. The variety of characters, a different number of each on every succeeding page, surely speak in different voices making this picture book ideal for storytime. Children will enjoy finding and counting out the diff ...more
Walida
The pictures are vibrant and beautiful. The text in this book lends itself to a dramatic reading experience. The vocabulary is easy enough to understand for Preschoolers. There is a counting element incorporated into the text. It teaches children about sharing, kindness, and friendship, and promotes social and emotional development. I recommend this book for all class rooms.

LE/extensions: Reading Time

Read the story aloud remembering to use your best “spidery” voice! . Read it through without sto
Nyna
I love Miss Spider’s Tea Party. I know it is a counting book, but I always thought the numbers just made it flow better. The flow breaks for the little moth, but it is an important development in the story, and I don’t think the story is just for counting. The numbers seem to mean too little for that to be true. I also like the color choices in the pictures. Everything to do with Miss Spider is bright and cheery, while everything to do with the bugs that won’t have tea with her is a darker color ...more
Ashley Stone
This book is about Miss Spider attempting to make friends with other insects in her area. But since she’s a spider, everyone is afraid of her. Miss Spider offers them all cake and tea but they all run or fly away in fear. Eventually, a moth who can’t fly because of his wet wings has no choice but to stay and after realizing Miss Spider is harmless, he goes back to tell all of his friends. That’s when they all realize that they were wrong about Miss Spider. This is another book by David Kirk and ...more
Tracey Melcher
Poor Miss Spider only wants to have a lovely tea party with the other insects, but, although she eats only flowers, she cannot convince any of them to join her. However, after showing kindness to a troubled moth (and not her desire to eat him) Miss Spider finally enjoys the tea party she has always wanted with her many new friends. Miss Spider’s Tea Party, told in the form of a narrative poem, is a great introduction to rhyming verse as well as number concepts from one to twelve. Kirk uses rich ...more
Jade Detzer
This book has a couple good lessons in it. One of the lessons is for math with counting. There is also a lot of rhyming words throughout for a language arts lesson. There was also a lesson about friendship and how it only takes one person to see the good in another, despite what everybody else says or thinks.
Lindsey
For the most part this book is rather depressing. Nobody wants to join Miss. Spider for her tea party because she is a spider. Then towards the end one moth realizes that she is not a mean spider. He tells all of his friends and they go to her tea party. Here they see that she only eats flowers and drinks tea. Miss. Spider is happy because she has finally made some new friends. I really liked the rhyming in this book. I think this would be a good book to teach kids about different insects, and h ...more
Sarah Adamson
This is a gentle fun book about making friends despite fears and worries. However it's not very accurate in that this spider eats flowers and enjoys making friends with all the little bugs instead of eating them. Fun for make believe time, not for the older child who is learning about the real world.
Denise Kettering
This colorful book is a cute counting book, but also deals with incorrect assumptions, as the majority of the other insects suspect Miss Spider of trying to lure them in so that she can eat them. Miss Spider, on the other hand, really wants to have a tea party. Enjoyable and helpful for learning numbers.
Luann
This is cute, but since I like The Spider and the Fly so much, it feels like the bugs in this story are very smart not to trust the spider. So in the end it just feels wrong when they all sit down to tea.

This would be a fun one to pair with The Spider and the Fly and then have students do a compare/contrast activity of the two books. The text and rhyming scheme would make this a fun read-aloud, and very young children would enjoy counting the bugs on each page. I really like David Kirk's color-
Tayler Drayton
Miss spider was my favorite story to just look at the illustrations for. They are so rich and brilliant! The best ones so far in my book. I loved the vocabulary in this book and the meaning of the whole story. The fact that this book tries to teach children to be accepting of everyone no matter what the look like is amazing and such a creative way to do so.

learning experience- you can help children learn the importance of "not judging a book by its cover". Have the children become each insect by
Jessica
If you are a teacher and you wish to compare and contrast similar books, than I'd suggest pairing Miss Spider's Tea Party with Spider and the Fly. The two are very interesting!
Melanie
Miss Spider wants a friend to share tea with, but all of the other insects are afraid of her. She counts the insects as they pass by and beg them to stay, but no one will. She even has a table set beautifully for tea service, but not one bug will stay!

As she sits, crying over 10 full cups of hot tea, a drenched moth, unable to fly, lands on her web. Initially the moth is terrified, but of course Miss Spider is over joyed. She invites him to sit and dry off and the two share tea and snacks. Once
Stacey Learst
I really liked this book . The book had many lessons for the kids , such as counting, friendship , sharing , trust , and rhyming different words. I felt the book had rich vocabulary and the lessons were presented in a fun and child inviting friendly way . I would recommend this to read to the children as I enjoyed it very much .

Learning Extension:
You could have a lesson talking about bugs and their behaviors, and what bugs interact and don't interact with each other . Have children draw pictures
Ginnie Grant
An all time classic. Anyone who has ever felt misunderstood (and who hasn't) could learn from Mis spider's plight. This cute story teaches acceptance and sometimes that family is what you make of it.
Garrett Ellis
A good boon to read to encourage classroom community if you are having difficulties, it is about Miss Spider's struggle to gain some friends!
Karina Vegarra
When I was a young kid, I remember my mother always reading Miss. Spider because my sister and I had a huge fear of spiders and she thought these books were the cure. Miss.Spider is a lovable character who treats all of her friends politely and has the respect from others in her community. Children are intrigued by this book because of the grand illustrations with the color schemes and realistic drawings of the nature they live in. Miss.Spider is a good solution to how to explain the children to ...more
The illustrations have an almost cartoon like appearance. Each page portrays the bugs listed in the text and helps create the setting for the story. They show the bug’s fear of Miss Spider and her loneliness that no one will join her for tea. The theme is a good one, teaching children not to judge people by how they look. Younger children will find humor in a spider having a tea party for bugs, but children too young may not benefit from the moral of the story. The detailed illustrations and rhy ...more
Claudia
(CIP) When lonely Miss Spider tries to host a tea party, the other bugs refuse to come for fear of being eaten!

(Claudia) Expressive, varied illustrations do a great job of telling the story in concert with rhyming narrative. The counting theme provides structure, while the engaging insects – with realistic bodies and anthropomorphic faces – are the appealing stars of the show. PreS-Gr 2

(SLJ) “A sweet tale.”

(PW) “Kirk's rhyming text, with its singsong rhythm and counting motif … is slack and pred
Heather Vernon
I love the Miss Spider books :)
  • Gingerbread Baby
  • Old Black Fly
  • Rooster's Off to See the World
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Rainbow Fish to the Rescue!
  • Over in the Meadow
  • The Salamander Room
  • Waiting for Wings
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • Koala Lou
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
  • Big Pumpkin
  • Piggies
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
David Kirk is the creator of children's books that follow the character Miss Spider. Before writing books, he made colorful toys that were sold in hand-painted boxes. He was urged to write children's books when his toys caught the interest of a book packager. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he would use as characters in his stories: his daughter, Violet, had a liking for bugs.
More about David Kirk...
Miss Spider's Wedding Little Miss Spider Miss Spider's New Car Miss Spider's ABC Oh So Tiny Bunny