Start by marking “The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon

The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Mini Grey’s spin on the nursery rhyme classic “Hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle” is a love story of sorts that starts when “the dish ran away with the spoon.” In the midst of the Great Depression, Dish and Spoon become rich and famous vaudeville stars—until their taste for the high life puts them in debt to a gang of sharp and shady characters (depicted as evil k ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published April 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon

Dolly
Jul 01, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have read several of Mini Grey's books and we really like them. The interesting stories and nicely detailed illustrations are a bit hit with our girls. They are big fans of her Traction Man series and we also really enjoyed the book The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be.

This story is a heartbreaking tale of fortune and fame that turns into crime and despair. It's a story of sudden wealth leading to excess and wanton consumption and then to a sharp financial downfall. It's a creative twist
Monowara
This book is a brilliant read! Came across it for the first time in my placement as my year 4 class were reading this as part of their English lesson. It is about a Dish and a Spoon that go on an adventure to New York and live the high life for a while until they get themselves in a bit of a bother. The children loved this book. It has less text but very detailed illustrations, which the children loved and managed to pick out the smallest details to understand what was happening in the story. Th ...more
Leon Gray
SS5H5 The student will explain how the Great Depression and New Deal affected the lives of millions of Americans.

Initially, I read this particular book because I thought it was connected to the Great Depression. My little boy who is three loved the rhymes and pictures. The only real significance this book has to the Great Depression is that it was written during those poor economic times. I then had a "eureka" moment. This book does capture and has a beautiful twist that could be used in a 5th g
Chelsie Marie Pritz
I didn't know where we were going and I didn't care. I knew the Dish would take us there.

What ever happened when Dish ran away with Spoon? Sailing on the ship of adventure, Dish and Spoon find themselves in midst of the Great Depression era. They glide away together along the sea, became rich and famous, but spent it all on gambling and expensive items. Without money, they’re forced to borrow money from “a gang of sharp and shady characters.” To repay their loans, they rob a bank and wind up in
Loved this book. This was one of the main texts for Year 2's literacy. It tells the tale of the Dish and Spoon (two characters from the nursary rhyme, Hey Diddle Diddle). The children really enjoyed reading about their adventures - how they became famous and then spent all their money leading them to borrow money from some shady characters (Knives and Forks). Unable to repay the Knives and Forks, the Dish and Spoon decide to rob a bank. The Dish is caught and sent to prison while the Spoon is de ...more
Bryanna Johnson
The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon by Mini Grey was a retelling of the classic nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle"; however it mostly focused on the Dish and the Spoon. This story takes the reader through a tale of what had happened after the nursery rhyme with the dish and the spoon. In this adaptation the Dish and the Spoon travel together and soon become Vaudeville characters and obtain the riches of the lavish lifestyle. They live it up to much and become connected with a gang of knives ...more
Jenny
This isn't my favorite retelling of the nursery rhyme... Dish and Spoon have gotten into trouble...they were vaudeville stars...but then they got into financial trouble and robbed a bank. I am sure that many people will find it quite humorous, but neither the story nor the illustrations enthralled me.
Callie Risse
This book is an extension of the rhyme in which the dish ran away with the spoon. In this story, the dish and the spoon run away to be performers, but end up having a hard life that involves 25 years in prison! Personally, I hated this story and would never choose to read it to students.
Ubalstecha
Again, a brilliant piece of fiction from Mini Grey. This on plays on the rhyme "Hey Diddle, Diddle", specifically the dish and the spoon. It is a funny, whimsical look at what happened after the dish and spoon ran away. Children will love the illustrations, but adults will also love the story.
Paul Farbman
Apr 17, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Second Grade
This story tells what happens after the dish runs away with the spoon in Hey Diddle Diddle. Words like record player and vaudeville tell us that the story took place long ago.

The illustrations are essential to understanding the text. For example, when the reader reads that all of the dish and the spoon's money was gone, they don't completely understand why. A look at the side column of illustrations reveals that they lost it all on expensive dinners, gambling, and when a knife and a fork stole t
Lydia
The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon, written by Mini grey, is a spin off on from the nursery rhyme 'Hey fiddle fiddle'. It is about the journey of the Dish and the Spoon after they run away from each other. Dish and Spoon become rich and famous vaudeville stars until their taste for the high life puts them in debt to the Sharp gang who are shady characters. They go through many adventures with Dish being tied to a train track as they were unable to pay back the sharp gang, Dish and Spoon ro ...more
Jack Lloyd
A good adaption of the original book, "hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle. The dish and the spoon is based on a dish and spoon who become famous due to their trickery but then they needed to heist a bank to pay back a gang. They couldn't get away quick enough from the police so they were arrested. I would use this book when looking at speech in key stage 1 and lower key stage 2.
Daniel Cracknell
If you know the rhyme "Hey diddle diddle..." then you you will know who the Dish and the Spoon are. This story catches up with them to see what happens after they run away. The Dish and the Spoon start a new career on the stage and life begins to take a new turn for them. They live the high life, blow all of their money and end up in debt to a nasty set of sharp knives. What will the Dish and the Spoon do to clear their debt?

This story has great whole page illustrations and was really helpful in
Denise
I didn't like reading this book; it didn't bring back the fond memories of the nursery rhyme, Hey Diddle, Diddle (I thought it would). Reading it reminded me of an old, bad western movie that someone should have "lost."
Kim T.
I must confess that I was terribly excited to read this book to my little ones. Once I read it though, I was somewhat disappointed. It took an unexpectedly dark turn. Thankfully, the ending went in a positive direction.
Emily
This "memoir", written from the spoon's perspective, puts a spin on the classic nursery rhyme and we find out what happens after the "dish ran away with the spoon."

My first read through was ho-hum at best, but I enjoyed it more the second time around. It has that old detective/beautiful dame movie feel to it, which adds to its charm. But it's that formula that might make this story difficult for younger children to understand. After we finished reading it, my almost 6-year-old said, with a very
Amanda
I loved this story! The illustrations in the book were absolutely fantastic! This book could be used after giving students the background knowledge of "Hey Diddle Diddle", as the story refers back to the rhyme quite often. This book could also be used to explain making inferences through pictures (for example the pages with the bank robbery children must infer that their plan didn't work and they were caught). I loved that this book uses more mature themes and styles of writing (referencing back ...more
Karen
Used to be Ellie's favorite book to checkout at the Library. She said this used to be 5 stars for her but now it is 4 stars.
Melanie
Spoon tells the story of how he and Dish began their travels together. It all started when someone put a record on the record player. The adventure began. They traveled to Vaudeville, but their money soon ran out. They try robbing a bank but get caught and are thrown in jail. After doing his time in jail, Spoon gets out and searches for Dish. Finding him in a broken items shop, they take off together and find a tune that sounds good to them...

Not a great story for storytime. Better for older kid
Tessa
Sequel to "Hey Diddle Diddle." Fun illustrations.

Provo Library
Courtney Angelo
I am a silly person, so this book fits my personality completely! I imagine myself writing a book similar to this. I love the adventurous nature of this book; the dish and the spoon run off together, eventually become broke, and face all kinds of mishaps along the way. The author still manages to tie up the end of the story, 25 years later. This book opens a window of imagination for the students, because they can come up with different scenarios of what "might have" happened. I love how playful ...more
Jandy
Sep 18, 2014 Jandy added it
I was really looking forward to this one - a story about the adventures of the dish and spoon after they ran away, involving show business and bank robbery? Sign me up! I did like the story, but it was a bit busy, I thought. It was a bit of a challenge to keep up with the story and stay engaged because each page just had a bit too much happening on it.
Jamie
The famous dish and spoon from 'Hey Diddle Diddle.' I was really hoping for better here. The story starts off ok, but takes some dark turns with the dish and spoon gambling, stealing ,etc. The themes are very mature for children and the artwork is way too busy with all the side pictures. If your child is to read this book, I advice it be with an adult to better explain and/or mediate things as needed.
Kristine Pratt
This is a kid's picture book that feels a lot like it would be better suited to adults. Young ones will see a silly story, a tale of what happened after the traditional rhyme ended. Adults will see a bittersweet love story of excess leading to ruin. Place in historical context this is a really amazing book. The side panels must not be missed as they tell so much. Really fun book!
Amber Adams
great book! This book was a spin off from the classical story if the dish and spoon running away together. It was funny and entertaining. I would use this book as a creative writing prompt. I will use this book to teach idioms. The students will create their own poems like the ones using the book (ex. “hit the hay” or “dog-tired”) and use at least one idioms.
Frank
Frank might have given this a higher rating, but I'm sticking with 2 stars anyway. I really liked the idea of this book, but it didn't work out as well as it could have. This dish and the spoon just weren't good role models for kids. Did they have to incur gambling debt, did they have to rob a bank? I think this is a cute idea gone terribly wrong.
Jill
I'm not sure that this appealed all that much to the kids - although it held a certain fascination. I think they'd only give it a 3. I think much of the imagery and story is a little over their heads. Too much explanation was required for them to fully enjoy the story, but I think this might work really well for a more mature picture book reader.
Dayna
Maybe I was in the wrong mood for this one...but I didn't find it nearly as interesting and funny as I had hopped. It is supposed to be the other side of the story...what happened when the dish ran away with the spoon...but I found the story to cross some lines for the toddler - pre-k - k set and fell short of what could have been really clever.
Megan
This book was hilarious! It personifies dish and spoon (of "Hey, Diddle Diddle" fame). They run away and the story tracks their adventures. It would be fun to use when covering personification. It would be great to put on the document camera so the kids can see all of the comments within the illustrations which are quite clever.
S.K.
The story line seemed a little dark. What do preschoolers and kindergardeners (the picture book audience) care of overspending, dealing with thugs, heisting a bank, and going to prison? The deportation side stuff might have been of some interest to an adult, but again, what does a young kid know of dishware, like spode?
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Fox
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Haunted House
  • Wolves
  • Ug: Boy Genius of the Stone Age
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • The Night Pirates
  • A Lion In The Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • Kisah Smurf Hitam (Kisah Smurf)
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • The Real Thief
  • Les contes du chat perché
  • Mr. Majeika
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
Traction Man Is Here! Three by the Sea Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog Hermelin: The Detective Mouse Toys in Space