Start by marking “Battle at Alcatraz: A Desperate Attempt to Escape the Rock” as Want to Read:
Battle at Alcatraz: A Desperate Attempt to Escape the Rock

Battle at Alcatraz: A Desperate Attempt to Escape the Rock

One of the bloddiest battles in the history of American prisons occurred at Alcatraz in May 1946, when prisoners staged a breakout, obtaining guns from the gun gallery and taking nine guards hostage. The escape attempt was the cumination of months of methodical planning. But, when a last-minute glitch foiled their escape, inmates shot the hostages in effort to leave no ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Addicus Books

To ask other readers questions about Battle at Alcatraz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle at Alcatraz

Glen Hastings
Apr 23, 2013 Glen Hastings rated it liked it
Good book and an exciting story. As the son of one of the principals the author has both a unique perspective but an inherent bias too. Having read Six Against the Rock as my first serious book ever (back when I was my sons age), my views of the battle of Alcatraz are shaped by that telling. I found this version to be a bit more sanitized, but with more axes to grind. Again good but not unbiased book
Andrea
Dec 08, 2013 Andrea rated it it was ok
I bought this book when John and I were on Alcatraz Island . . . along with two other books about Alcatraz. I may have gotten a teensy bit carried away! This tells the story of the bloodiest escape attempt on the island. The author is the son of one of the guards who was in the middle of the escape attempt. It was an interesting story. I just wasn't thrilled with the writing. I feel like for such an exciting event the story could have been a little more exciting. And I do find it sweet that the ...more
Jillinda
Oct 25, 2009 Jillinda rated it liked it
David and I toured Alcatraz when we went to SF last month and the author Ernest Lageson was there. His father was one of the officers wounded during the escape attempt. The tour was fascinating to me and I was excited to read a more detailed account of the escape attempt. I thought this was very well written and was glad to find it more of a story and easy to read then just a timeline of events and excerpts from case files. I wished I would have read it before we went.
Heather Pulley
Aug 02, 2012 Heather Pulley rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
This was a good book, although the writing is fairly simple. I got a bit bogged down with all the officers' names and the details of the escape plan. It was very helpful to have the diagram of the cell house in the book to refer to! I found the dialogue to be very cheesey. But taking into consideration that the author is not actually an author by trade, I have to give credit for a well researched, informative, action-packed re-telling of this event.
Julie
Jul 27, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This book is written quite simply, but the story is just great. I just cannot believe the mistakes made by so many people in authority. The convicts made mistakes also of course, but you expect them to. The last few pages upset me the most because of the lies that were told to the press. I won't say any more, because I don't want to spoil anything. If you are looking to read a true account of an attempted escape from this prison, this is very good.
Linda
Jul 22, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Ernie (the author) is my cousin, and I've heard the story of the Alcatraz escape attempt all my life, especially the fact that the guards saved their lives by "playing dead." But I've never read the story or heard all the actual details before, and I found this book fascinating. The detailed account of events once the escape started moved along rapidly, and I didn't want to put the book down. I was also appalled at the misguided handling by the officials.
Matthew Siemers
Aug 03, 2009 Matthew Siemers rated it it was amazing
Very well written book. The author did a very good job at laying out the events of this prison break out very clearly. Very informative, but also very interesting.
David
Dec 07, 2014 David rated it really liked it
An excellent account of a very dark day in the history of the Rock. Nicely written and filled with complete detail. Once read, you will know exactly what happened.
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Emilie
Emilie rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Brit McCarthy
Brit McCarthy rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Melissa Quinn
Melissa Quinn rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2012
Melissa Gonzalez
Melissa Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Jhill
Jhill rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2012
Celia
Celia rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Paul Hutton
Paul Hutton rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
Mason Evans
Mason Evans rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2015
Arron Parker
Arron Parker rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Nicola Pyper
Nicola Pyper rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Rpalfini
Rpalfini rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Amy Holck
Amy Holck rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013