Start by marking “Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  399,615 Ratings  ·  17,826 Reviews
Lissa y Rose son amigas desde niñas. Se quieren como hermanas y están unidas por algo más que el nexo propio de dhampir y moroi. En la Academia nadie recuerda una conexión tan profunda, aunque ciertos relatos, leyendas tal vez, dan testimonio de qu tal lazo psíquico existe... y que puede transformar por completo la vida de quienes lo tuvieron y, en este caso, tal vez decid ...more
Published 2009 by Círculo de Lectores (first published August 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Academy, please sign up.

Kirstie Vampire Academy series comes first, then Bloodlines series. Bloodlines focuses on other characters from the Vampire Academy Series. The books are much…moreVampire Academy series comes first, then Bloodlines series. Bloodlines focuses on other characters from the Vampire Academy Series. The books are much better, but i did think the film was pretty good and i hope they do the next one.(less)
Sharanya S. the guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with…morethe guard and the princess are like BFFs despite their differences, cultures, responsibilities and heirarchy. However the guard falls in love with another of her same kind - another "male" guard. (less)

Amanda
14 Apr '13
Future commenters: if you disagree with the review, that is perfectly fine and normal. If you wish to add your own thoughts of the book, that's also perfectly fine. But please keep the ad hominems and accusations (and not just directed at me, but also other commenters) at home.

Everyone's free to say what they wish on a public forum. But I am also free to moderate what goes on in my space. I've never deleted/moderated comments before, as that goes against my beliefs on free and public
Ruby
Oct 31, 2008 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
So many people talk about Twilight and miss this super great book......

I liked Twilight, but I had a hard time dealing with Bella. I thought she was just too...girly for some having with vampires. I wanted someone that could stand with them in a fight and not cower behind....Enter Rose. She is the bodyguard to Lissa, a vampire princess that must attend school and keep out of the clutches of the dark side. Rose is aggressive and hard headed, sometimes risking Lissa while trying to prove she is st
Kat Stark

Buddyread with the wonderful weirdos: Jess & Karly (Click to read their reviews)

Yeah this book wasn’t for me. I’m not gonna rant, I’m not gonna complain. I’m just gonna say it in song. The reviews for this one are insane, so go read my fellow buddyreaders reviews for more info.

In the tune of Sir Mix-a-Lot

Oh, my, god. Mia, look at her breasts.
They are so big. [scoff]
She looks like one of those Dhampir guys' girlfriends.
But, you know, who understands what Dhampir means anyway? [scoff]
They on
Faye, la Patata
So I watched the movie aaaaaand I hated it. I also made a comic review of the thing on the blog! But I'll also post it here for your reading pleasure. Warning: a lot of Dimitri shots.

08s

QUICK RANT:
<--- THIS is the hot Dimitri?! THIS?! WHO THE HELL IS THIS. WHO THE FUCK IS THIS CRETIN. HE IS NOT THE DIMITRI I EXPECTED.

I'm not sure I can endure the movie now.

~End rant~

And Bubbles makes her comeback yet again! I've been a fan of Richelle Mead since I started her Game of X series, bu
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I gave this book 3 stars on my first read. I raised my rating after reading and liking it more on my second read.

Addition : Why I think you should read VA instead of Covenant

The before : September 2010

I was a stubborn brat when it came to reading Vampire Academy. Part of me honestly thought that a vampire series couldn't impress me after experiencing how oversaturated the genre had become with depressing and lackluster characters and stories.

Because of this, I went into my first read of VA
Kat Kennedy
Vampire Academy is a difficult book to review.

On one hand, it is a variation on the norm and Rose is definitely not the usual character occupying the myriad of PRNs these days. The writing style is blessedly free of awkward construction and mistakes. In fact, the writing isn't too bad at all.

The secondary characterizations are quite good for the most part, and well rounded. The pacing is agonizingly slow at the beginning of the book and doesn't pick up until the last fifty pages. The lore behind
Etnik
____________________________________________
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.”

____________________________________________

description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Okay so after billions of people recommending this to me,I decided to read it,to give it a try.To be honest I didn't except good things from this book,and I am glad I got some.

What I expected :

A vampire school

Vampires making out with each other

A forbidden love

An evil Vam

Scarlet
2.5 STARS

**Warning: This review contains spoilers**

EDIT: July 2014 - Since apparently my original review wasn't clear enough, I'll be inserting more of my musings as to why I didn't like this book from the comments section.

May 2011 -
Well here I am, finally writing my review for Vampire Academy after finishing it about four months ago (Wow, has it really been that long already?). I’ve had many long debates with myself over what I wanted to say, and now I think it’s time I finally said them.

Let m
Libro Joven
Jan 14, 2010 Libro Joven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best. Vampire. Saga. EVER. Just that. I dare anyone come and tell me otherwise. It is funny, witty, the plots are amazing, and the characters are great (well.... maybe Lissa is not great, but hey, she is just the one flaw). If you like vampire books, you must read it. If you hate vampire books, you must read it. What the hell, whether you like or dislike books in general, this book is a MUST HAVE. Because I say so (OK, me and thousands of people just like me) Twilight? What the hell is Twilight?
E
Nov 20, 2010 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
I decided to read Vampire Academy because it was on a list of books most likely to inherit Twilight's throne (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-an...) .

Before I harp on about the first Vampire Academy book, I want to comment on the series as a whole: these books are really readable and quite good fun. They pull fewer punches than a lot of other supernatural novels, and the series gets quite a bit darker as it progresses. The characters encounter myriad trials--mental instability, torture, betra
Leonie
Mar 01, 2013 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A girl most likely, and pretty much any girl at that :P
Recommended to Leonie by: No one! I found this on the book shelf and it looked awesome!!
This book was totally wicked! I it!!! :P

I hope you can feel my joy for reading this book once you have read it too! It was awesome!

I loved how you got totally engrossed in it and then it had a total shocker ending! But, I'm not telling you what that is! :P
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So I said I wouldn't read this after being warned about 10 million times that they stop being worth the bother after book 3. I said it repeatedly, earnestly... and then I caved. I mean, what do you do when you've nothing ahead of you but a day at the library and when you turn around...dum, dum, dum... there it is, the internationally praised series that you swore you would never... but then what if you felt different?... how can you expect to deal with not finding out for yourself? So I guess I
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Mar 10, 2016 Yasmin (Book Unicorn) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
RANDOM UPDATE 3/10/16
(Scroll down for my (ish) review :P)

Okay so, I was in my bed, watching Netflix last night. I finished watching this AWESOME show called 90210 and then in the recommended section I saw the Vampire Academy movie. So out of sheer curiosity I watched it.

OH.MY.GOD. So Dimitri is described as this hot-ass godly warrior, but in the movie he's hideous and looks older than my dad. When him and Rose shared a kiss I just felt insanely uncomfortable. Even more than watching my parents k
mark monday
Dear Vampire Diary,

wait, why did I write that? "vampire" diary? maybe cause everything in my life is vampire, vampire, vampire! best friend vampire. training to protect vampires. actually protecting vampires. I'm half-vampire. I go to a Vampire Academy for chrissakes. vampires, vampires, everywhere. and now apparently I have a vampire diary too. hello, unconscious. argh! ok enough of this bs, I'm getting annoyed and need to work it out by working out. maybe this diary thing isn't going to work o
Ronyell
6 stars!

When my friends told me about Richelle Mead’s popular “Vampire Academy” series, I just had to check this series out! Wow and double wow, this book was a brilliant introduction to the “Vampire Academy” series and after I had read this book, I really wanted to read more about these awesome characters! Full of drama, mystery, action and hot romance, “Vampire Academy” is definitely one novel that will take the paranormal world by storm!

For two years, Rose Hathaway and Vasilisa “Lissa” Drag
valee
Jan 20, 2015 valee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I'm not into YA books, but I loved this one. Maybe it was because even though it was a YA book, I didn't remember it was about a girl of 17 until she said she was that age. The heroine in this book doesn't behave like a teen, and Dimitri for sure isn't. I can't wait to read more about them.

If you read this book knowing that it is YA, you'll love it. I read other paranormal YA books, and didn't like them this much. It is better than the house of night series and the vampire dia
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
Buddy-read set for mid December with my fellow castle dreamers, the delightful Jess & the wondrous Kat (Her review is made of WIN!)!!

Vampires! Vampires! Vampires!

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME!

2.5 Stars

So, as you might have guessed by that star rating Vampire Academy was a miss for me. Not entirely a miss but a miss nonetheless.

My Grievances:

Girl-on-Girl Hate: I hate this shit so much... and it’s everywhere in this novel!! Every time I turned a page I was slapped in the face with it! Mia hat
Anne

Ehhhhhhh

It took quite a few chapters for me to get into this one, and even then it was pretty easy to put down.
I'm not saying it was awful, but I really didn't feel much of anything for the characters. And for the first half of the book I kinda thought Rose was a lesbian.

description

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It was just doubly confusing for me when she got the crush on her mentor...or whatever he is.

description

But since everyone seems to think these books are The Greatest, I'm going to give th
Renée
Dec 05, 2009 Renée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to this series when a young woman saw me hopelessly scouring the Barnes & Noble Teen section, desperate to satisfy my vampire fix, and recommended the series to me. (I went through a post-Twilight period where I basically bought random YA vampire books hoping they would scratch my new-found paranormal itch... I look back on this time with mild embarrassment.) I was sceptical because the title seemed a little "obvious" to me, and frankly the cover art didn't appeal to m ...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
*may contain spoilers*

What a great first book to a series - I really enjoyed this, I couldn't put it down it was so good. I was expecting something a little more 'young' adult (along the lines of the House of Night series) but instead the characters are all quite mature. The book itself is written with more of a mature tone than other YA books I have read, and I much prefer this style of writing. I think it helped that one of the characters was twenty-four years old.

There are two types of vampir
Tatiana
Dec 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy
Updated 12/25/2010 How naive I was two years ago! Poor me didn't know what would become of the new promising writer Richelle Mead and this series. What started out as a new kind of paranormal series where romance took a back seat to political intrigue and adventure, became just another money-milking venture slapped together in a matter of weeks and stuffed in hardcovers for maximum profit. I feel mildly ashamed for recommending these books to so many people now. So I am updating this review to m ...more
Giulia (Jun)
This is a negative review. If you enjoyed the book, that's great! Sadly, I didn't, so please respect my opinion as I respect yours.

THE RANT BEGINS.

Chapter One. We're presented with a pretty confusing situation, without knowing who's who and what is going on (I almost thought I had by mistake picked up the sequel, because it felt like I was missing out on something.) But at least we have what seems like a kick-ass main character, Rose, and a strong female friendship between her and Lisa, so I w
Emelie
Dec 15, 2015 Emelie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER:
I wrote this FIVE YEARS AGO and I was FIFTEEEN. Also, I course a lot. If you can't handle poorly based criticism and/or swear words, don't read it. Really, guys? No hate.

I was 15 when I read and reviewed this book. I obviously didn't like it, partly due to its translation into Swedish and partly because I JUST DIDN'T LIKE IT. And that's okay. However, just because I hated a book doesn't mean you should. That's the point of reviews, recommending and not recommending books based on yo
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
Wasn't really wowed. I will continue with the series eventually but I'm in no rush! It was good, but I don't really understand all the buzz.
Kimi
Nov 28, 2015 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The love I have for a certain character with a russian accent makes me unable me to give an objective review for this book. All I can say is that I know someone who just made it into my book boyfriends list.

This book was so much fun to reread. I had forgotten quite a bit! I can’t wait to jump right into the second one. I feel like this is one of those series that gets better with each book.

Can we talk about movie Dimitri?

What the bloody hell is this ? This guy looks like a 40 year old creep t
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
5/5

I had been wanting to read this book for a while. I had seen many people reading this and enjoying it very much, like my sister. I finally had the chance to read it and I really liked it.

Ms. Mead definitely knows how to draw in a reader. There was so much action right away that I felt that some of the book had been taken out to get right to the the action and I really liked it. There were many subplots that helped to keep that action there and me very excited.

Rose Hathaway. She was a great
Ariana
Dec 13, 2014 Ariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, vampires

If I had to describe this book really shortly I would probably say: vampire teen drama.. a lot of vampire teen drama.
Not that this is bad, because I enjoyed enormously the way these teens interacted with each other, the jokes, the fights, the paybacks, and so on. Still, I felt like this was just another usual teen book with a more commercial settling. The only thing that made me think that this was a vampire book (except for the title and the fact that the main character told me so many times t
Emma
May 15, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WOW. I was so not prepared for this book to be so good. I'm not a friend of vampires (even though I loved Twilight) so I had my doubts. This book just blew my mind right away! I couldn't stop reading, I just kept on turning pages and repeated to myself like a million times "just one more chapter..." So if you are like me, DO NOT HESITATE TO PICK THIS BOOK UP. Give it a try! This was amazing and deserves easily 5 stars.

I loved the characters. Even though I didn't really feel them, I just loved h
♔ Leah.
I don't know what to think of this book, because when I first tried to read it about a year ago, I got halfway and didn't really get the hype about the books. When I read it the second time my opinion of it didn't change all that much, there were equally good and bad apsects of the book. Overall, I did think it stood out amongst the YA genre but the plot wasn't anything special other than a few surprises along the line.

A lot of potential lies in the mythology- it is based on real Romanian mythol
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I'm currently reading the third book in this series, so my review will probably end up being pretty general over what I've read so far.

I think the mark of a good series is when you feel like they are all one big book, when everything flows and fits together properly. I hate when one book is really good and then the next one stinks.

The mark of a good AUTHOR is when the chemistry with the characters is real. I don't necessarily mean just romantic chemistry. The main character, Rose, is best frien
YA Buddy Readers'...: Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead --> Reading "Frostbite" from May 5th 2016 616 334 20 hours, 52 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - Restarting April 20th 2016 296 292 Apr 26, 2016 03:57AM
What should Richelle Mead's third spinoff be about? 52 578 Apr 25, 2016 09:40AM
Favorite Character 4 21 Apr 22, 2016 09:57AM
let's play a game !! 6 29 Apr 20, 2016 07:35PM
what will you choose 7 25 Apr 20, 2016 07:32PM
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Reckoning (Strange Angels, #5)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...

Vampire Academy (6 books)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)
  • Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”
4738 likes
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.” 4691 likes