Start by marking “Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony” as Want to Read:
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony

Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony (Billy & Blaze)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,758 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Billy was a little boy who "loved horses more than anything else in the world." Imagine how happy he was when he got his very own pony for his birthday! From that day on, Billy was seldom seen without his new friend, Blaze.
Riding through fields and woods, Billy and Blaze learned to trust and understand one another -- and to jump over fences and fallen trees with ease. The
Published April 1st 1992 by Aladdin (first published August 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Billy And Blaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy And Blaze

Erin
Such a wonderful story. I don't know how many times I read it as a child. I loved finding it.
Scooping it Up
Billy and Blaze books are perfect for horse crazy children. The reading level is 1st-3rd grade and both my 1st grader and ESL 12-year-old find these a fast read with enough vocabulary to make it a good learning tool. The illustrations are beautiful and the books get a little harder and longer as the series goes on. Theses are quite old, but perfect little gems for newly independent readers. So glad to run into them at the library.
Megan B
Jun 06, 2009 Megan B marked it as kinley-completed-solo-reads
Recommends it for: nikki, kim b.
Sweeeeeeet sweet books written in the 1930's about a boy and his beloved horse. Kinley read this as an "early reader", but it would also be nice as a bedtime book. It's longer than most picture books.
Sandie
I love C.W. Andereson's books and art.....I have read his books since I was a little girl and I have always been excited about reading them to my children.

None of my three kids are huge horse lovers, though my daughter comes the closest. I started reading these books to her at about 4 but now at 5 she is enjoying them a bit more.

We both liked this first story about Billy and his love of horses and how he came to get his own pony Blaze as well as a dog and how he won the pony show!

My daughters
Laura Verret
Once there was a little boy named Billy. More than anything else in the world, Billy loved horses and rode them every chance he could. He loved to plod along on his neighbors’ dray horses pretending they are beautiful prancing ponies – but even more he wished he could have a pony of his own.

And then on his birthday, his father buys him a beautiful pony. Billy names him Blaze and the two of them prance around happily, content to roam the woods together. And then Billy finds the poster advertising
Beth
Jan 16, 2008 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids who like horses
Shelves: children
I had this book when I was a kid - I found it at the library today and signed it out so I could read it to ZZ - she liked it and thought it was interesting that "way back when my mom was a kid" the book pictures were black and white!
It is a trip reading books like this to her now that I'm an adult. As I read, I remembered a lot of the illustrations...I hope by reading books to ZZ now, she will be able to have similar memories as an adult.
Dolly Garnecki
My 6 year-old enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover. He was able to pronounce most of the words. The intricate drawings inspired imagination and encouraged a quest for details. What a great story and series to illustrate courage, bravery, and the love of a boy for his remarkable pony.
Sandy
I had a card to the Osterville Public Library and every summer for years I'd read dozens and dozens of books- many of them time and time again! These Blaze books were just some of the many... Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Black Stallion series, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess!
Joni
These are nice, sweet books and all my children enjoy them. It is interesting to see how independent children were in the past. Billy is responsible for his pony, he rides him in a show and he does this all without the help of his parents. My children were impressed.
Jorgina
Great book for young boys. The whole boy-pony-dog relationship in a time when land was open and adventure was awaiting in your backyard. Oh, yes and all before rules were so restrictive that a person cold still prove themselves without strict authoritative approval.
Karen
I have to read these books again. They go back, far back, to my early childhood. I don't remember much, but I remember falling in love with Blaze. Yes, I was one of those girls who really want a pony. I still do.
Terrah
It's a nice change to read a kids book from the 1930's compared to all the Dora and My Little Pony books that go through my house. The girls loved it too! So sweet, we'll be reading the whole series.
Rivkah.
Love this books series. It's a sweet story about a boy and the adventures he has with his pony Blaze. I was addicted to these books when I was little and I think they need to be republished.
Maggie
I liked that Billy got what he really wanted and he got to ride his horse a lot. It was good that he jumped over fences. I want to read the rest of the Billy and Blaze books.
Katherine Carlson
I read this to my younger brother when he was little, and the art by this author, C.W. Anderson, who illustrated his own books, really inspired me to draw horses.
Gmc
Sep 30, 2014 Gmc added it
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony by C.W. Anderson.
This is the first book in a series. A great story and boy and his horse ride off into the woods on adventures.
Mitzy Tait-Zeller
This is one of those books that I read and re-read in public school. A classic in its own right.
Lauren
I remember checking this out at the library as a child. This brings back great memories!
Jen
This is the first of the books CW Anderson wrote about Billy and Blaze. It's a keeper!
Betsy
An oldie but a goodie. Elf is flying through this series and enjoying it immensely.
Don Gubler
I loved these stories as a kid so I bought a whole set of them for my kids.
ZZ
Jan 16, 2008 ZZ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all kids.
Recommended to ZZ by: My mother
Shelves: library
I think this book is awesomely cool and my mommy had black and white books.
Katy Brandes
This is one of the earliest reading memories from my childhood.
Megan Russell
I used to be obsessed with these when I was little.
Wayne S.
Billy is a young boy who "loved horses more than anything else in the world." He learns how to ride using some neighbor farmer’s work horse and pretending that it is a prancing pony. One day he gets his very own beautiful bay pony for his birthday and names it Blaze because of the white streak down its face. Billy and Blaze go riding through the fields and woods. Billy rescues a dog from a trap, names it Rex and, since the owner could not be found, keeps it for a pet. Billy and Blaze learn to ju ...more
Anita
This was one of my husband's favorite series growing up, I'd never read it before. My son is 2 and may be too young for it - he sat through the book, but wasn't especially excited or interested at any part of it.
Dana
This book was written in 1936 and it shows. Billy is a white male and only wonderful things happen to him. He gets a pony and a dog AND he wins the pony contest. After reading this, I really don't like Billy.
Jodi
Ashley
This series was one of my favourites as a child. I was always happy to find them in the school library, and the artwork in them was absolutely beautiful.
Anne
A favorite series for my 7 year old. A great option for books that younger readers can do on their own, but would also be a great read aloud.
  • White Stallion of Lipizza
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Little Black, a Pony: Liishzhiin Yazhi [With CD]
  • Summer Pony
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Angus Lost
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
C.W. Anderson - aka Clarence William Anderson
From Wikipedia:

Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) born in Wahoo, Nebraska. He was an author and illustrator of childrens books. Known professionally as C.W. Anderson, Anderson had an interest in horses and drawing. When he wasn't out riding horses, he was drawing them, taking great interest in their bone stru
More about C.W. Anderson...

Billy & Blaze (8 books)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • Blaze and the Mountain Lion
  • Blaze Finds the Trail
  • Blaze and the Gray Spotted Pony
  • Blaze Shows the Way
  • Blaze and the Lost Quarry
  • Blaze and Thunderbolt
Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm Blaze and the Lost Quarry Blaze Finds the Trail Blaze and the Mountain Lion Blaze Shows the Way