Start by marking “Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony” as Want to Read:
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony

Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony (Billy & Blaze)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  2,356 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Billy was a little boy who "loved horses more than anything else in the world." Imagine how happy he was when he got his very own pony for his birthday! From that day on, Billy was seldom seen without his new friend, Blaze.
Riding through fields and woods, Billy and Blaze learned to trust and understand one another -- and to jump over fences and fallen trees with ease. The
Published April 1st 1992 by Aladdin (first published August 1st 1969)

Erin
Aug 02, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story. I don't know how many times I read it as a child. I loved finding it.
Scooping it Up
Dec 05, 2012 Scooping it Up rated it it was amazing
Billy and Blaze books are perfect for horse crazy children. The reading level is 1st-3rd grade and both my 1st grader and ESL 12-year-old find these a fast read with enough vocabulary to make it a good learning tool. The illustrations are beautiful and the books get a little harder and longer as the series goes on. Theses are quite old, but perfect little gems for newly independent readers. So glad to run into them at the library.
Megan B
May 29, 2009 Megan B marked it as kinley-completed-solo-reads
Recommends it for: nikki, kim b.
Sweeeeeeet sweet books written in the 1930's about a boy and his beloved horse. Kinley read this as an "early reader", but it would also be nice as a bedtime book. It's longer than most picture books.
Sandie
Nov 19, 2011 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
I love C.W. Andereson's books and art.....I have read his books since I was a little girl and I have always been excited about reading them to my children.

None of my three kids are huge horse lovers, though my daughter comes the closest. I started reading these books to her at about 4 but now at 5 she is enjoying them a bit more.

We both liked this first story about Billy and his love of horses and how he came to get his own pony Blaze as well as a dog and how he won the pony show!

My daughters
Laura Verret
Mar 01, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Once there was a little boy named Billy. More than anything else in the world, Billy loved horses and rode them every chance he could. He loved to plod along on his neighbors’ dray horses pretending they are beautiful prancing ponies – but even more he wished he could have a pony of his own.

And then on his birthday, his father buys him a beautiful pony. Billy names him Blaze and the two of them prance around happily, content to roam the woods together. And then Billy finds the poster advertising
Beth
Jan 16, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids who like horses
Shelves: children
I had this book when I was a kid - I found it at the library today and signed it out so I could read it to ZZ - she liked it and thought it was interesting that "way back when my mom was a kid" the book pictures were black and white!
It is a trip reading books like this to her now that I'm an adult. As I read, I remembered a lot of the illustrations...I hope by reading books to ZZ now, she will be able to have similar memories as an adult.
Julie Rowse
Dec 31, 2016 Julie Rowse rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book is on the Nebraska 150 Books list, which is the only reason I picked it up. I'm glad I did though--I like to give books as gifts, and if I ever have the chance to recommend or give a gift to a young boy who loves animals, this moves to the top of the list. It's a sweet story about a boy, his pony, and his dog, with what resembles pencil-drawn illustrations. Enjoyable.
Joni
Aug 09, 2012 Joni rated it really liked it
These are nice, sweet books and all my children enjoy them. It is interesting to see how independent children were in the past. Billy is responsible for his pony, he rides him in a show and he does this all without the help of his parents. My children were impressed.
Jorgina
Oct 11, 2008 Jorgina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, own-it
Great book for young boys. The whole boy-pony-dog relationship in a time when land was open and adventure was awaiting in your backyard. Oh, yes and all before rules were so restrictive that a person cold still prove themselves without strict authoritative approval.
Sandy
I had a card to the Osterville Public Library and every summer for years I'd read dozens and dozens of books- many of them time and time again! These Blaze books were just some of the many... Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Black Stallion series, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess!
Dolly Garnecki
Jan 25, 2014 Dolly Garnecki rated it it was amazing
My 6 year-old enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover. He was able to pronounce most of the words. The intricate drawings inspired imagination and encouraged a quest for details. What a great story and series to illustrate courage, bravery, and the love of a boy for his remarkable pony.
Terrah
Oct 16, 2011 Terrah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
It's a nice change to read a kids book from the 1930's compared to all the Dora and My Little Pony books that go through my house. The girls loved it too! So sweet, we'll be reading the whole series.
Karen
Apr 17, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I have to read these books again. They go back, far back, to my early childhood. I don't remember much, but I remember falling in love with Blaze. Yes, I was one of those girls who really want a pony. I still do.
Don Gubler
Oct 28, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loved these stories as a kid so I bought a whole set of them for my kids.
Katherine Carlson
Feb 13, 2008 Katherine Carlson rated it really liked it
Shelves: pleasure-reading
I read this to my younger brother when he was little, and the art by this author, C.W. Anderson, who illustrated his own books, really inspired me to draw horses.
Mitzy Tait-Zeller
Sep 12, 2012 Mitzy Tait-Zeller rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I read and re-read in public school. A classic in its own right.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it really liked it
Love this books series. It's a sweet story about a boy and the adventures he has with his pony Blaze. I was addicted to these books when I was little and I think they need to be republished.
Gmc
Oct 17, 2013 Gmc added it
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony by C.W. Anderson.
This is the first book in a series. A great story and boy and his horse ride off into the woods on adventures.
Maggie
Aug 20, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it
I liked that Billy got what he really wanted and he got to ride his horse a lot. It was good that he jumped over fences. I want to read the rest of the Billy and Blaze books.
ZZ
Jan 16, 2008 ZZ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all kids.
Recommended to ZZ by: My mother
Shelves: library
I think this book is awesomely cool and my mommy had black and white books.
Katy Brandes
Aug 31, 2011 Katy Brandes rated it liked it
This is one of the earliest reading memories from my childhood.
Lauren
Jul 23, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I remember checking this out at the library as a child. This brings back great memories!
Jen
Feb 18, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
This is the first of the books CW Anderson wrote about Billy and Blaze. It's a keeper!
Betsy
May 24, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
An oldie but a goodie. Elf is flying through this series and enjoying it immensely.
Megan Russell
May 06, 2014 Megan Russell rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
I used to be obsessed with these when I was little.
Cosette
May 11, 2017 Cosette rated it it was amazing
Pretty epic.
Katie Winkler
May 24, 2017 Katie Winkler rated it it was amazing
Loved these books as a kid. Checked them out over and over again from the library.
Koleesa
Mar 03, 2017 Koleesa rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-readers
l
Stephanie Snyder
Apr 20, 2017 Stephanie Snyder rated it really liked it
A Classic everyone should read.
Rena Sherwood
Imagine, if you will, a time when you could keep a pony in the backyard and nobody would blink an eye. A time when kids were not supervised very waking moment of the day. A time before (GASP) the Internet.

Damn, how I wished I lived there. Even in the late 1970s, when I first read this book and began the Billy and Blaze series I wanted to live there. Goddammit -- I STILL want to live there (with my Internet and my Prozac, though.)

description

I mean, Jesus -- just look at the cover. You were allowed to ride
  • White Stallion of Lipizza
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Little Black, a Pony: Liishzhiin Yazhi [With CD]
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Summer Pony
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • The Blind Colt
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • Mr. Putter  Tabby Pour the Tea
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Angus Lost
  • Funny Cide
C.W. Anderson - aka Clarence William Anderson
From Wikipedia:

Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) born in Wahoo, Nebraska. He was an author and illustrator of childrens books. Known professionally as C.W. Anderson, Anderson had an interest in horses and drawing. When he wasn't out riding horses, he was drawing them, taking great interest in their bone stru
More about C.W. Anderson...

Billy & Blaze (8 books)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • Blaze and the Mountain Lion (Billy and Blaze)
  • Blaze Finds the Trail