Start by marking “Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior” as Want to Read:
Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior

Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A compelling behind-the-scenes look at cutting-edge scientific inquiry, as well as a brilliant examination of the ramifications of genetic research, The Science of Desire is a lasting resource in the increasingly significant debate over the role that genetics plays in our lives.

In July 1993, a scientific event made front-page news: the discovery that genetics plays a signi
Published January 11th 2011 by Touchstone (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Science of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science of Desire

Vance Woods
Apr 02, 2013 Vance Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent read for those who have opinions on one of the thornier issues of our time, but who don't necessarily know the science involved. While the science is still a bit robust in places for me, the author manages to cut to the chase while providing some interesting insights into the ways we think about genetics in relation to other, more philosophical subjects: morality, law, religion, etc. And there is no false bravado here: Hamer admits that his experiment still leaves many questions ...more
Broodingferret
Very clear, well-written and concise. Hamer simplifies the topic for ease of consumption by a lay audience while still adhering strictly to the science. He also makes a point of regularly pointing out both the strengths and limitations of the research that his lab did, lest anyone misunderstand his work or try to take it in inappropriate directions. A must read for those interested in the subject.
Hazel Edwards
Nov 29, 2013 Hazel Edwards rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I'm writing fiction, I try to read broadly about the facts in an area, so I was interested in the gender genes research after co-writing our YA novel' f2m:the boy within' Our novel has an ftm character who transitions gender. However, I found this 'Science of Desire' book irritating mainly as the writer was researching in the area of a gene for homosexuality but almost avoided mentioned females. it was published in the early nineties and some attitudes and ways of researching may have chan ...more
Doutor Branco
Aug 23, 2014 Doutor Branco rated it really liked it
Shelves: lidos-em-2014
This was a very interesting book to read. It doesn't solve the trouble related to homosexuality, but it opened a new window through which we all must look at these issues. It is not an easy position for any side. Hope to see more development in this respect.
Le Connell
Jul 24, 2013 Le Connell rated it really liked it
A very engaging narration of Dean Hamer's 1992 search for a genetic linkage to sexual orientation.
Derek Austin
Derek Austin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sophus
Sophus added it
Jun 06, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Dion
Dion added it
Apr 30, 2016
Lauren Donahue
Lauren Donahue marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Taja Martin
Taja Martin is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2016
Hamid
Hamid marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Namfon
Namfon marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Dana Rehn
Dana Rehn marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Andrew Meintzer
Andrew Meintzer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
David Bart
David Bart marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Christina Sin
Christina Sin marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Johnnica
Johnnica marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Bruce Fred Knotts
Bruce Fred Knotts rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Robin Chown
Robin Chown rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Alyssa Montes
Alyssa Montes rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2015
Liam Johnston
Liam Johnston rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015