Start by marking “Voyager (Outlander, #3)” as Want to Read:
Voyager (Outlander, #3)

Voyager (Outlander #3)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  99,214 ratings  ·  4,250 reviews
From the author of the breathtaking bestsellers Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber, the extraordinary saga continues.

Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear

Published August 7th 2001 by Delta (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Voyager, please sign up.

Susan Grant-suttie Above and beyond! I am now on book four and not only do I love the book, but I also adore the reader on my audio book, Davina Porter. Amazing talent…moreAbove and beyond! I am now on book four and not only do I love the book, but I also adore the reader on my audio book, Davina Porter. Amazing talent to deliver the edge of every moment.(less)
Christina Patrizio The nickname "Sassenach" is used throughout the first two books. I'm only on page 213 of Voyager, so there hasn't been any interaction between Claire…moreThe nickname "Sassenach" is used throughout the first two books. I'm only on page 213 of Voyager, so there hasn't been any interaction between Claire and Jamie yet. I have read other complaints about the overuse of this term, but I don't feel that way about it. It's a term of endearment that Jamie first uses with Claire in a teasing sort of way, to let her know that she is an outsider to the clan MacKenzie. However, as their relationship evolves and they get married, it's just a pet name, like "honey" or "sweetheart." I think it's more appropriate than a generic term because Claire is a unique character, as both an outlander and a time traveler. I think it also serves as a reminder to Jamie that he is so very fortunate to have ended up in a relationship with this unique woman; he worships her! Although the word appears very frequently on the pages of the book, I do not find it to be overused. If you watch the series on STARZ, and you hear and see Jamie each time he calls Claire "Sassenach," you might feel differently about it. (less)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
18th out of 2,095 books — 3,954 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
456th out of 34,583 books — 132,287 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Far-fetched, Eye-rolling, scoff-producing. But so stinkin' good.

Seriously, these books are so D!@# good. Mostly because she's such a detailed writer and she's really good at grabbing your attention and taking it for an adventurous ride. In fact, the cover of the book had a review on the cover that said, "Adventurous escapism at it's finest." Amen. Once you're in, it's so hard to think of anything else until it's over.

But at the same time... these books are entirely too ridiculous. So much happen
Stephanie
Just finished the third tale of Jamie and Claire in Voyager, I must admit it was my favorite so far.

……………Spoilers…………………………………..can’t write these and not have them………………………

Awe damn, not again. “Hello Claire, nice to see you yet again.”

“Stephanie? How did you end up here? I don’t see that strange vehicle you usually use to time travel.”

“I had to return the time mower. The owner was not amused by my ‘borrowing’ it. He mumbled something about a restraining order, hooligans and red heads; I must h
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love good historical fiction
The Outlander series is definitely one of my most recommencded series of books. I might even love these books more than Harry Potter - and that's saying something.

The Outlander books are set in the 1700s. They start off in Scotland, but later travel to Paris, Jamaica and the American Colonies.

Claire and Jamie, the book's two main characters are fantastic. They're deep, smart and action-oriented, yet very real. As their relationship evolves over the series of books, it evolves realistically. They
Kate
Jan 23, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who wouldn't ever read a romance novel, history buffs
Gabaldon's sex-ridden, hugely researched, academically adventurous, time travel/sci-fi meets historical romance novels qualify as trash novels for lit nerds -- they're absolutely a guilty pleasure. From clan warfare to herbal medicine to genealogy to British history to WWII, the books are packed with information (what little Gaelic I know started with these book). Bonus: the heroine gets to have many, many rolls in the hay with a handsome hard-bodied Highlander. Can't really go wrong.

The books w
Mo

This was another five star read. I mean, how can it not be. The effort this author has put into the books is unbelievable. Not sure how long it takes her to do her research.

“It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach”

Twenty years have passed and Claire returns through the stones. I thought their first meeting fell a little bit flat for me! Maybe my expections were too high.

Plenty has happened in the twenty years that Claire and Jamie have been apart. Some of the things I wish didn’t happen,
Karen
I'M ABSOLUTELY SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!! I don't even know where to begin with my review. I suppose I'll have to think on it a bit... JUST KNOW... there are not enough stars in the sky. As I work my way through this series.... I am just dumbfounded at the awesomeness before me. And this book, by far my favorite so far in the series... words cannot express my love for these characters, and this story. But again, it's one of those stories that enraptures those ONLY that it's meant to. And I am definitel ...more
Holly
Alisa
I have to say that I was generally disappointed by this third book in the series. I was SO excited to read it, but the first half dragged and the second half was just ridiculous most of the time. I'm ok with SOME unlikely siuations (after all, the whole premise of the book is unlikely!) but this was just non-stop. She kept resurrecting characters from earlier in this book or previous books and it often made little sense as to why they suddenly appeared. I felt like the last 200 pages were the fo ...more
Mitzi
Voyager is book 3 in Jamie and Claire series. It is one of my favorites!

With the help of Roger and Brea doing historical research, they think they have found Jamie alive in Scotland and working as a printer.

And so this book takes Claire through the stones once again and back to Jamie (at long last!). It also gives us insight to some of the events that happened to them during their 20 year seperation;

Jamie after the war held up in a cave for 7 years, him being a prisoner at Ardsmuir and then a
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Heidi

Beware of Spoilers

Voyager is the third installment in Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Voyager picks up where Dragonfly in Amber left off. Jamie and Claire have just parted ways…him to go back and face his grisly death on Culloden field and her to go back through the stones at Craigh na Dun so she can bring her and Jamie’s child safely into the world.

The book then takes us through the next twenty years, telling us what exactly happened to the sepa
Tatiana
Jan 11, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Outlander" fans
Well, I am back to rekindle my love for Jamie Alexander Fraser. The second book left me in such an emotional turmoil, I just had to know how the drama ends. I cheated and flipped through pages of "Voyager" to get closure some weeks ago but now it is finally time to read and enjoy the book in full...

Once again, Gabaldon doesn't disappoint. She has a talent for characterization and is a stellar storyteller, there is no doubt about it. Once again, she takes us on a fabulous adventure through times
Lucia
“Only you," he said, so softly I could barely hear him. "To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. Only you. Because ye will not let me lie--and yet ye love me.”

EPIC STORY. PHENOMENAL WRITING.

This is without a doubt my all time favourite series!

To read my reviews of previous books, click on pic:

Natalie★for the love of TBH!★
★★★★ 4 EPIC and SENSATIONAL stars!

Voyager is definitley my new favorite book in this series after Outlander. It was pretty much perfection for me and it pains me not to give this 5 stars. I have absolutely no comlplaint about the first 50-60%, after that it was still amazing but there were some storylines I liked more then others.

Jamie and Claire are now twenty years older, but still apart. We get to learn about their seperate lives in their separate times. Other characters are also slowly intr
Crystal Starr Light
When we last saw Claire and Jaime and the gang, Claire had just finished telling her story about Jaime and Scotland to her daughter, Brianna, and a researcher, Roger. They decide to find out what happened to Jaime. Apparently, he did NOT die in the Battle of Culloden...but is he still alive in the 1760's? And does Claire want to leave behind her life in the 1960's--including her beloved daughter--to return to a man who may not love her anymore?

The Outlander series has been an emotional roller co
Jasmin
WARNING: First part of this review (if this could still be called a review) will sort of be a homage/ temple for worship to my beloved James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, the most gorgeous and swoon worthy hero ever existing in literature!

♪♫♪ Ain’t no other man can stand up next to you
Ain’t no other man on the planet does what you do
You’re the kind of guy a girl finds on a blue moon
You got soul, you got class, you got style in your bad ass
Ain’t no other man, it’s true.
-Christina Aguilera
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Well, another Jamie and Claire adventure and it's getting harder and harder to write these without spoilers so I'll try but beware there may be some!

At the end of Dragonfly in Amber, Claire realizes that Jamie didn't die at Culloden so Claire, Roger and Brianna decide to research and see what information they can come up with. I loved all this part - the different POV's, the interactions between Claire and Bree, Bree and Roger and Roger and Claire and just how it all played out. (I really hope
Natasha Polis
THIS BOOK WAS MASSIVE!!! The first half of the book was so good and made me so happy after the heart wrenching ending from Dragonfly in Amber. But then, the last half of the book was so slow. Even though it was super entertaining, the "Voyager" part of the book really dragged on. I feel like Diana could have moved things on a bit. The first book is still my favorite, it's nice to go on these adventure with Jamie and Claire, I just don't know how I'm going to relate to the characters now that the ...more
Christy
Mar 04, 2010 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction and romance fans
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 01, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Outlander Fans
Not a true review...Random thoughts

Highlights
- Jamie and Claire’s reunion
- Jamie’s third person POV, including what happened to him during the years of their separation
- Lord John Grey’s role in Jamie’s life
- The hunt for the hidden treasure
- Information about time-travel
- A prophecy is told
- A surprise character from Outlander returns.

Issues
The book had over-the-top angst with a series of coincidences, old acquaintances entering the story, and back-to-back obstacles. Jamie and Claire can’t see
Katie
I wasn't sure if Diana Gabaldon could pull off a 20 year absence between the characters, but she did it beautifully. In the first half of the book, i actually really loved reading about Jamie's adventures. I found myself laughing with him, and feeling heartbroken for him, and anticipating his reunion with Claire.

The second half was spectacular. I loved the scene's the author painted with the new locations. I sometimes could feel the sway of the boat, or see the West Indie's beaches and mountain
Ashley
First of all, yes, this is essentially a five star review, but please note, it’s five stars with reservations. The five stars is almost entirely due to the first 1/3 or so of the book (and maybe a little past that) and how it absolutely took over my life. If I could, I’d probably rate the first 1/3 six or seven stars, and the rest four, but that’s obviously not possible, so here we are. The rest of the reason that I settled on five stars is due to the fact that I just really super enjoyed myself ...more
Elaine
I can't possibly do any kind of review for this series until the end.

From going to a DNF for Outlander to just about starting the next book, Its not hard to tell you why I'm now enjoying this so much. Its long, historical books can be slow reading and this is certainly detailed, you do need patience to read it. But its so worth it to read the love this couple have for each other that moves me so much...

And of course theres Jamie....

photo tumblr_n81n3bUrel1sbre0jo1_400_zpsbb62880c.gif

photo e3f6fc23-2303-408d-be2f-0b8ad61a01de_zps25435090.jpg

Jamie and Claire's story totally consumes me.
 photo a98a78286f1dfd750626e4520b6c451f_zpsc52c6f9c.jpg

photo tumblr_inline_ncyk2dlAl91rstagz_zpsa87aed19.gif

Its a love stor
M. ~ B&B
"Only you," he said, so softly I could barely hear him. "To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. Only you. Because ye will not let me lie - yet ye love me."

I don't know what I expected going into this book, but I didn't expect this. It was so good, so different yet so much the same. This couple goes through so much together and comes out stronger for it, every time.
Loving you has put me through hell more than on
Edee Fallon
I'm exhausted. That was quite a journey. I didn't know what to expect from Voyager and was pleasantly surprised (<--that's quite an understatement) at all the twists and turns and circles that came up full. DG is THE master of all master storytellers. I never expected to laugh so hard or to be put and kept on the edge of my seat the entire time.

There were loads of new characters as well plus deeper understanding of others. I am ridiculously intrigued with Lord John Grey and will definitely r
Candice
Ugh, I'm a sucker. I don't even know why I kept on with this series, beyond the absolute literary boner I had during "Outlander," a little less throughout "Dragonfly in Amber" (although there were some breathtaking chapters, particularly Claire's miscarriage and mental breakdown, the healing that happened in La Havre following James' torture at the hands of Randall, interesting meditations on faith, et cetera). Three books in and there's a good chance I'll still read "Drums of Autumn" and "The F ...more
Cherie
To say that I loved it does not come remotely close to how I feel about the story, the author nor least of all, the narrator. It was a 10!

Jamie and Claire. They are under my skin and part of me. I can hear them speaking when I close my eyes.

What an adventure! I think I was holding my breath the whole last part of the story, maybe longer. If you have read the story, or listened to it, as I have, then you know. If you have not, then I encourage you to do so. Soon!
Patti
Ok... so I've read the entire Outlander series previously, this is book 3. I've just started re-reading them all in order and all in a row. The writing is fabulous... detailed, yet easy to get through. I am a huge fan of historical fiction and this is a great example of it! Start with Outlander... and if you're not half in love with Jamie and planning a trip to Scotland historical fiction just might not be for you.
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
I think this may be my favorite book in the series so far. I'll have to ponder the book and see how I feel in a few days. It's hard to express the love and awe I have for this epic tale. And it's mind-boggling to know there are four more "epic size" books in the series!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Re-read for 3rd time*

Kristen
Women and Words (...: Voyager (#3) March 2015 1 8 Nov 14, 2014 09:36AM
Return of a Character (spoilers) 7 88 Oct 06, 2014 06:11AM
Serious????? 17 389 Jun 17, 2014 01:45PM
Joyce's Reading Log: Voyager by Diana Gabaldon 1 12 May 17, 2014 01:18PM
That's Normal's B...: We're talking Voyager- Outlander Book #3 23 92 Mar 04, 2014 07:56AM
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (Pink Carnation, #4)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Lady of the Glen: A Novel of 17th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • The Reckoning  (Welsh Princes, #3)
  • The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

“It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach” 212 likes
“Do ye not understand?"he said, in near desparation. "I would lay the world at your feet, Claire-and I have nothing to give ye!"
He honestly thought it mattered.”
184 likes