Start by marking “For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places

For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places

The mutual love affair between people and their place is one of the most powerful influences in our lives, yet rarely thought of in terms of a relationship. As cities begin thinking of themselves as engaged in a relationship with their citizens, and citizens begin to consider their emotional connections with their places, we open up new possibilities in community, social a ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Creative Cities Productions

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Cities

Catriona Reynolds
Dec 17, 2016 Catriona Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book's ideas are super inspiring to me. I agree with other reviews that the writing/editing isn't fantastic, but I gained so much from the content that I still rated it 5stars.
One part I wonder about is that Kageyama differentiates between city councils and city co-creators, he doesn't touch on instances where they overlap; indeed, he seems to believe that they are mutually exclusive. As a council member, I identify more with the attitudes and approaches that he attributes to co-creators;
Peter Wolfley
Dec 22, 2016 Peter Wolfley rated it really liked it
We got to witness firsthand the power that individuals have to change and improve their cities with the building of the All-Together Playground. There are some great tips in here for getting the "creators" together, increasing citizens' love for their city, and changing how people feel about your town. A must-read for anyone in local government.
BonSue Brandvik
Jun 03, 2012 BonSue Brandvik rated it really liked it
"For the Love of Cities" is a non-fiction by Mr. Kageyama, that offers an interesting perspective about what it takes for a city to not only survive, but thrive. He offers a compelling argument that residents of a city are the ones who are responsible for retaining talent and supporting growth.

"For the Love of Cities" offers specific examples of things individuals have done... some big things, but mostly lots of small things... that improve the atmosphere of a city to the point that its citizen
Adwoa
Dec 08, 2011 Adwoa rated it liked it
There was so much that was excellent about this book. (As an editor, I did cringe frequently - the number of missing modal and auxiliary verbs was so consistently high that it read like a kind of grammatical Swiss cheese.)

Still, Kageyama elegantly explores something I think we've all intrinsically known: that the relationship we have with our cities is of course both physical and emotional, but can also be romantic in its own way. We all have a narrative about the places we inhabit. I loved that
Scottie
Oct 20, 2013 Scottie rated it really liked it
To be honest, I expected a rather fluff read from this book; I have no idea why that was my perception. Instead, I found a tool I'll be able to use in my work, a book I will reference often. Perhaps most helpful is Kageyama's labeling and categorizing of people, and cities.

Though I have been a community builder all my life, I have only recently realized it, so much of the urban planning jargon and approaches are still new to me. While Kageyama isn't the first person to look at the emotional conn
Jeff
Aug 12, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
A lovely non-fiction about cities and what makes us love them. I will say that the conclusions were well-done, though the last quarter of the book was pretty repetitive and perhaps unnecessarily lengthy. I loved the interviews and real-world examples of "changers" in cities like Detroit and New Orleans.

Of course, after reading this now I want to move to a struggling city and strive to make a difference...
Katie
Jul 14, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
I got to hear peter Kageyama give a keynote presentation at the Florida state planning conference, and he was wonderful. Inspiring, enthusiastic, human, completely likeable. His book is pretty similar, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Partway through I noticed an imbalance and started taking notes. I applied a version of the Bechdel test, recording the gender of the people Kageyama noted and quoted in the book. At the end, men were noted and/or quoted 151 times. Women, 50.
PattyMacDotComma
Dec 03, 2012 PattyMacDotComma rated it liked it
A bit American chatty, Oprah/DrPhil-like upbeat promotion of promotion. Lots of good ideas, many familiar to me and other people, but delivered with such infectious enthusiasm that it's hard to stay mad.

I do get frustrated with so many exclamation points!!! and CAPITAL LETTERS!!! It reads like email spam, but it's more acceptable if you pretend it's transcripts from community and business workshops.

I look forward to seeing some of these ideas implemented in Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia.
Brooke Dilling
Jul 10, 2015 Brooke Dilling rated it really liked it
Do you love where you live? What makes a city loveable and engaging? who are the people who make that happen? and how does the city tap into the energy and skills of the people that love it? Fascinating book on how we continue to create and make our cities better. I'm left with many ideas for how to utilize this in my position working with a city agency.
Nancy Wenande
Sep 28, 2012 Nancy Wenande rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! With my position in city government it really helped my grasp ideas on how to engage different types of citizens in different ways. Great examples of what other communities, large and small, are doing to keep themselves growing and viable. This should be a "must read" for anyone entering city government. Thank you Peter for writing this enlightening book.
Vin Nolan
Jul 27, 2013 Vin Nolan rated it really liked it
This is an essential for anyone involved in economic or community development. It is an easy read that gives a great description of the soft side of building a great community, and the importance of what the author refers to as "co-creators". It describes the new paradigm for economic development in the new global economy.
Danielle
Jan 18, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book with a lot of fresh ideas about how to bring a community together. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to be inspired by someone else's passion. My only criticism is that it focuses on the medium sized cities and the younger class versus having to address aging demographics, but that is a minor point because the book was very well written.
Audra Teel
Apr 12, 2011 Audra Teel rated it liked it
Features interviews with local STL Style owner's Jeff and Randy Vines. Interesting read, not really eye-opening content, but the author is passionate about the subject of cities and the people who change them.
Melissa Dynan
Aug 20, 2013 Melissa Dynan rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for becoming engaged in one's city. It's not just up to the 'professionals' to make it happen. Do something!!
Corey Friedrich
Apr 26, 2013 Corey Friedrich rated it liked it
The first three quarters were inspiring, the last quarter seemed to quell my enthusiasm. The book could certainly use some editing; there were many wrong or missing words.
Rendra Delano
Rendra Delano rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Danielle Dankenbring
Danielle Dankenbring rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Chee Czi Lim
Chee Czi Lim rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Stephanie Ball
Stephanie Ball rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kalli Dempsey
Kalli Dempsey rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Zach
Zach rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Daniel Gilmartin
Daniel Gilmartin rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
  • The Smart Growth Manual
  • The Architecture of Community
  • Sidewalks in the Kingdom: New Urbanism and the Christian Faith
  • Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature
  • Last Harvest: How a Cornfield Became New Daleville: Real Estate Development in America from George Washington to the Builders of the Twenty-First Century, and Why We Live in Houses Anyway
  • There Goes the Hood: Views of Gentrification from the Ground Up
  • The Landscape Urbanism Reader
  • Edge City: Life on the New Frontier
  • Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando
  • Retrofitting Suburbia: Urban Design Solutions for Redesigning Suburbs
  • The Experience of Place: A New Way of Looking at and Dealing with our Radically Changing Cities and Countryside
  • Helvetica and the New York City Subway System: The True (Maybe) Story
  • Cities of Tomorrow: An Intellectual History of Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century