Start by marking “For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places

For the Love of Cities: The Love Affair Between People and Their Places

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The mutual love affair between people and their place is one of the most powerful influences in our lives, yet rarely thought of in terms of a relationship. As cities begin thinking of themselves as engaged in a relationship with their citizens, and citizens begin to consider their emotional connections with their places, we open up new possibilities in community, social a ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Creative Cities Productions

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Cities

BonSue Brandvik
"For the Love of Cities" is a non-fiction by Mr. Kageyama, that offers an interesting perspective about what it takes for a city to not only survive, but thrive. He offers a compelling argument that residents of a city are the ones who are responsible for retaining talent and supporting growth.

"For the Love of Cities" offers specific examples of things individuals have done... some big things, but mostly lots of small things... that improve the atmosphere of a city to the point that its citizen
Adwoa
There was so much that was excellent about this book. (As an editor, I did cringe frequently - the number of missing modal and auxiliary verbs was so consistently high that it read like a kind of grammatical Swiss cheese.)

Still, Kageyama elegantly explores something I think we've all intrinsically known: that the relationship we have with our cities is of course both physical and emotional, but can also be romantic in its own way. We all have a narrative about the places we inhabit. I loved that
Scottie
To be honest, I expected a rather fluff read from this book; I have no idea why that was my perception. Instead, I found a tool I'll be able to use in my work, a book I will reference often. Perhaps most helpful is Kageyama's labeling and categorizing of people, and cities.

Though I have been a community builder all my life, I have only recently realized it, so much of the urban planning jargon and approaches are still new to me. While Kageyama isn't the first person to look at the emotional conn
Melody
The upshot: A dedicated group of creators and doers can change an entire city.
Pat
A bit American chatty, Oprah/DrPhil-like upbeat promotion of promotion. Lots of good ideas, many familiar to me and other people, but delivered with such infectious enthusiasm that it's hard to stay mad.

I do get frustrated with so many exclamation points!!! and CAPITAL LETTERS!!! It reads like email spam, but it's more acceptable if you pretend it's transcripts from community and business workshops.

I look forward to seeing some of these ideas implemented in Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia.
Nancy Wenande
I LOVED this book! With my position in city government it really helped my grasp ideas on how to engage different types of citizens in different ways. Great examples of what other communities, large and small, are doing to keep themselves growing and viable. This should be a "must read" for anyone entering city government. Thank you Peter for writing this enlightening book.
Vin Nolan
This is an essential for anyone involved in economic or community development. It is an easy read that gives a great description of the soft side of building a great community, and the importance of what the author refers to as "co-creators". It describes the new paradigm for economic development in the new global economy.
Audra Kamp
Features interviews with local STL Style owner's Jeff and Randy Vines. Interesting read, not really eye-opening content, but the author is passionate about the subject of cities and the people who change them.
Corey Friedrich
The first three quarters were inspiring, the last quarter seemed to quell my enthusiasm. The book could certainly use some editing; there were many wrong or missing words.
Melissa Dynan
Excellent book for becoming engaged in one's city. It's not just up to the 'professionals' to make it happen. Do something!!
Susan Dillinger
Read the book, heard the author. If you want to revitalize your town, this is the book for you.
Cara
Cara is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Astrid
Astrid marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Michelle Schenker
Michelle Schenker marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Anne Hershewe
Anne Hershewe marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Cheryll Case
Cheryll Case marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Devika
Devika marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
R C
R C is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Erin Adwell
Erin Adwell marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014