Start by marking “Lucien's Fall” as Want to Read:
Lucien's Fall

Lucien's Fall

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A SINFULLY APPEALING RAKE
Lord Lucien Escher is a renowed London rake who believes there is not a woman in the world who cannot be seduced--he is determined to prove it, come what may.

AN INTELLIGENT AND DETERMINED WOMAN
Madeline is determined to save her treasured ancestral home and has no use for love or the tricks of an unredeemable scoundrel. Against her better judgment,
Published March 19th 2011 (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Lucien's Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucien's Fall

Mona
The plot: Madeline is the boring uptight step- daughter of a slutty countess whose the daughter of a dressmaker. So she thinks, but in fact Madeline is the boring uptight daughter of a slutty countess whose the daughter of a dressmaker. For some reason the slutty dressmaker countess has never fessed up to motherhood probably because she's lying about her age so that she can have s&m sex with men her daughter's age. Anyway, slut countess has invited a notorious rake home who is bent on seduci ...more
Susinok
Really good Georgian romance. I didn't consider Lucien that much of a rake, especially compared to Madeline's own mother and her boyfriend Johnathan.

Best deflowring ever. Boy knows his business!

And yes, very romantic ending. I loved it.
Mary B.
I absolutely loved it. Certainly not every moment of this book is perfect. There are definitely moments of frustration in which the reader just wants to scream out at the main characters to do one thing or another. But - I finished the last 75% of this book in one day. I couldn't put it down, and I loved the ending. One of the most romantic conclusions for a book that I can possibly imagine. I completely devoured it. Another great one by Barbara Samuel.
LadyCalico
This is my least favorite of any Samuel book that I have read, not because it wasn't well written, not because the characters were flat, not because the book was boring since none of the above is true. I just had a difficult time forcing myself through it because the people and circumstances of the plot really just didn't interest me. I feel about it like I did Les Liaisons Dangereuse--just a bunch of idle rich wastes of skin with nothing productive to do with their lives except play cruel manip ...more
C
I honestly didn't find anything romantic about Lucien, I found him immature, spoiled, and manipulative. I personally can't find anything romantic about literally being hauled out of a dress shop where I'm getting fitted for my wedding to another man, for a freaking booty call.

As for the heroine, for being supposedly more worldly and mature, she couldn't seen to seperate lust and love and didnt seen to understand consequences, little alone care about the feelings of others. I also hated that sh
Denise Agnew
I read Lucien's Fall when it first came out in paperback many moons ago and it quickly went on my list of all time favorite historical romances EVER. First of all, Barbara Samuel's writing is exquisite. There are those authors that I read and say things to myself like, "Oh, my God. I wish I had written that." Many writers are great at telling a story, but Barbara's writing has something extra. A lyrical, delightful way that is so unique. Her voice is highly distinctive.

Moreover, I loved the hero
Andrea
I just couldn't get over that the fallen rake in this book had couldn't get over his demons...his demons being that he could write music. Really? Really?

And then there was the love story. I hate, hate, hate books where innocent people get hurt. When I realize this is the direction the wind blows I usually stop reading and I didn't this time and I should have. Plus the plot was a little convoluted...consumption? The mother trying to seduce the love interest to prevent a marriage?

This one came hi
Vânia Nunes
I am a passionate about historical novels and when I hear about an author who has won several awards, immediately interested me in wanting to know his/her works.
This is exactly how I met Barbara Samuel.

Stories where a rake is the main character are also delicious. The old maxim that he would one day find someone so hard to deal with as him, will fall in love madly and change of attitude because of love.
I don't bother reading about that cliche. But I have to confess even a plot is nothing new, th
Bettie
when i first started this i really didnt think it would be all that but somehow the writer drags u in by bringing Lucien and Madeleine to life. yes its about a rake trying to seduce a virgin girl that needs to marry into a rich family but its got so much pacted in one novel, the writer makes u feel this deep passion between the 2 and lets u understand both their side, not just them but the mother and luciens best friend.
its got all the naughtiness that goes on during that time, widows that has m
Jenn
Gym reading aka free or super cheap on Amazon.

I like a historical romance. But this one annoyed the hell out of me. Okay, Lucien's so tortured. He's a rake and he's got such demons in his past. What demons? He can write music. Yes, really. Madeline loves her estate and needs to marry to get the money to keep it up. Her (step)mother invites people to see them in the country, including 2 rakes. The reason is that the rakes bring more people to their house, so if they have people at their house, t
Kari
This was a great read. At first I thought I would not like it but that changed pretty soon and I don't want to spoil the story. The end of the story surprised me with like and unlike at the same time but I thought it came out great. I really liked the 2 main characters, both very likeable, and I had a hard time putting the book down ...... I mean shutting the Kindle off ;-)
LuvGirl
(Could be a *SPOLIER*) I had to stop reading this one. It was too much of a turn off that the heroine's mother was trying to seduce the hero so he would leave her daughter alone.(yuck!) The sexual innuendoes between them was also disturbing! Having mom involved in the love triangle was not cool!
Corduroy
Totally outlandish and over the top and wildly melodramatic. Also kind of a good time!

Heroine is the lovely step-daughter of an "aging" (=36) countess - now that the father is dead, they're running out of money and the daughter must marry well. The step-mother has found a good match for her - a pleasant and wealthy, but not handsome marquess. (A surprisingly good character, by the way.)

Alas, the heroine just spotted the hero galloping around with his hair loose and is instantly smitten. Most o
Liz Fielding
A classic rake who more than meets his match. Anything by Barbara Samuel/Barbara O'Neal is a must buy for me.
Kay Bolton
Jul 05, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kay by: Historical Romance Fans
Review taken from my Blog Post (#372) in July 2010:

I wouldn't for one moment say that I didn't like this book, but it failed to engage me at any deep level - it may be that I'd had higher hopes from the description than the actual writing delivered.

By no stretch of the imagination was this ever going to be a Did Not Finish (DNF) though.

Having tried to analyse why it missed the mark a bit, I think it might have been that the characters were one dimensional, Lucien more than Madeline actually.

Also
Laney Shupe
Extraordinary Historical Romance

This book was so refreshingly different from other historical romances I've read. I'm grateful to smartbitchestrashybooks.com for recommending it.

As a side note, I wouldn't have read it based on the original cover art - I'll admit I'm shallow like that. I highly prefer the new cover with Madeline in her green dress. Oh I'd love to get lost in the maze with Lucien!
Betsy
I read this with the new cover that was much more interesting than this one. Honestly, that is part of the reason I picked up the book, as bad as that sounds. This is pretty old-school romance, but not in the way that the characters get together. It's sort of the typical rake meets innocent story, but I liked the way that it played out.
Kelly
Wow, a LOT of slut-shaming in these reviews. It was the Georgian era, people!

Beautiful writing, really interesting and well-developed characters, typical rake-deflowers-virgin trope, but so well done I didn't mind. Not quite as funny or fun as I usually like my Romance novels, but still an enjoyable read.
Vivienne
Felicia
Good historical romance

This was a good read. The female lead is strong and likeable and the male lead is everything an English rake should be. The author was great at expressing the desperation behind the longing the characters felt.
Mary
The story had strong character development, a realistic conflict, and interesting secondary characteristics. I did not want to put this down. I wanted to see all the characters get their HEA. I will definitely read the author's backlist.
Kelly
I really liked this, a nice change from the more contemporary books I have been reading recently. The beginning made me think it was going to be a bit hardgoing but it was a really good read.
Lrherb
Really liked this one. Great chemistry between the leads, but the hero got a little melodramatic towards the end. That was my really my only issue.
Introvertitude
3.5 stars. On the edge of Old Skool, with some rather purple prose, but I liked that the other suitor was kind and a legitimate contender.
Rebecca
The cover is atrocious, but the writing is actually good. Had a bit of a Dangerous Liaisons feel to it.
Cynthia
This was a wonderful read. I enjoyed it very much.
Patricia
It was an intriguing read, but was also too cracky and abrupt in some areas.
Julie Bird
Beautifully written and so romantic
Gaynell
Although Lucien is a rake, he is a very tortured man who gets terrible headaches until he writes down the music that is in his head - which he then burns. This is because his father beat him over his love for music (when he was just a young man/boy) and made him promise to abandon it. Madeline is a very sensible girl who loves her mother but doesn't like the way her mother lives. Of course, it is inevitable that the good girl falls for the rake who then changes to a better man because of her lov ...more
Stacey Szewczyk
Loved this book. There were alot of personal dynamics within the pages that kept them turning.
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family #2)
  • With this Kiss
  • Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • A Knight's Vengeance (Knight's, #1)
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Conor's Way
  • Passion and Pride (A Historical Romance)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Lady in Waiting
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • Ship of Dreams
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...
No Place Like Home The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue Heart of a Knight A Piece of Heaven A Bed of Spices