Start by marking “My Grandmother: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
My Grandmother: A Memoir

My Grandmother: A Memoir

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When Fethiye Cetin was growing up in the small Turkish town of Maden, she knew her grandmother as a happy and universally respected Muslim housewife. It would be decades before her grandmother told her the truth: that she was by birth a Christian and an Armenian, that her name was not Seher but Heranush, that most of the men in her village had been slaughtered in 1915, tha ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Verso (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Grandmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Grandmother

Juliemourad
very touching
Nairi
A very touching story. Sadly so many stories like this exist. Being a descendant of an Armenian Genocide survivor myself, I felt the author's Grandmother's need to reconnect with her biological family.
Truly a wonderful story.
Helene Pilibosian
This is a good translation of a book written by a Turkish lawyer. Being so well educated, she realizes the truth and what the situation in Turkey in relation to minorities should be. The Turkish government has prosecuted many Armenians and also many Turks for speaking or writing about the Armenian Genocide. Here the author reveals the fact that her grandmother is Armenian and has hidden that fact for many years until her impending death. She then tells her granddaughter that she is Armenian and ...more
Marat M. Yavrumyan
Գիրքը կարդացի, երբ պիտի պատրաստեի էլեկտրոնային հրատարակությունը։ Էջադրման, սրբագրման պարտադրած դանդաղ տեմպը մտորելու ու մտածելու ժամանակ էր տալիս։ Հակառակ դեպքում՝ մի շնչով էի կարդալու։

Ինչի՞ մասին էի մտորում։ Չգիտեմ։ Այն օդում էր, շրջապատում, ու, իհարկե, գրքի մեջ։ Այդպես էլ չկարողացա ձևակերպել, թեև փորձեցի (http://yavrumyan.blogspot.com/2013/01...)։ Հիմա էլ դժվար կարողանամ։

Բայց փոխվեց, ինչ որ մի բան փոխվեց, փոխվեց անցյալը հասկանալու ու գնահատելու ինչ-որ մի պահ։ Անորոշ զգացում, օդի մեջ կախված, որ
qamarwzaytoun
Heartbreaking read, but an absolute must for those wishing to learn more about the devastating effects of the Armenian genocide. The author details her grandmother's life with such precision that you immediately fall in love with the family. Truly a must read.
Jim
This is a very short book just 114 pages, but it is a very moving story. A brave tale that breaks the silence of the Armenian genocide to a Turkish audience (originally written in Turkish, I read the translation by Maureen Freely (who also translates Orhan Pamuk)).

Fethiye thought her grandmother was a happy, well respected Turkish Muslim grandmother, who kept her house spotlessly clean and doted on her children and grandchildren. One day her grandmother revealed the truth about her past, which w
Helene Pilibosian
I am the daughter of two people who went through the Armenian Genocide. One would think I would not want to read a book written by a “Turk “. However, I found this book extremely interesting because it revealed some hitherto unknown facts that are very important in understanding that painful period of World War I, now unfortunately controversial.
The author, a lawyer, Describes her childhood and part of her adult Life in terms of her grandmother, who eventually tells her that she is an Armenian.
Yiannis
An excellent book on the Armenian genocide. It focuses on the human pain of an Armenian little girl kidnapped and raised as Turkish Muslim. It is not aimed to the Armenians or Greeks who know the history but to reveal it to those who chose to ignore it, first the Turks descendants of Armenians (or Greeks) without sometimes to know it. Very touching and courageous book that everyone should read.
Heather Tomlinson

The Armenian genocide is one of the worst atrocities that is not generally known, certainly from the 20th century. This book records the recollections of one victim, the author's grandmother, about what happened to her and her family when she was a child.
The book is heartrending and horrible, and it gives a human insight into the realities of such a trauma on the victims and their families.
However, for someone without much background into the events, I found it a little difficult to follow and
Emackison Dobos
What history I have missed. This was very good.
seyna
sabah yürüyüşünde beyazıt'ta naylon üzerine serilen kitapların arasında gördüm. dikkatimi çekti ve aldım. ikindide okumaya başladım ve heranuş'un hikayesini akşam olup da bitirene kadar elimden bırakamadım. allah rahmet eylesin, hiçbir aileyi birbirinden ayırmasın.
Beks
A fascinating read that gave me insight into a very sad and awful slice of history I was almost entirely unaware of before reading this.
Marlene
This is a short book that is full of emotions - so much sadness, so much love. While I did not know much about the Armenian genocide before reading this book, this book presents a personal side to a terrible tragedy which resulted in a sense of understanding for me that I don't think I could have gotten from a historical telling of the events.
Em
A relatively easy introduction to a difficult topic. Worth reading. Full review here: https://cookiesandthecaucasus.wordpre...
Vahagn Petrosyan
An excellent, courageous, touching and emotional book. Read in one go. Highly recommended.
Theut
Il tema del libro sono "i resti della spada", ovvero le ragazze rapite durante il genocidio degli armeni. Ragazze la cui cultura è stata snaturata e che hanno dovuto dimenticare famiglia, lingua e religione per integrarsi a forza nella società dei loro carnefici. La nonna dell'autrice, Heranush, è stata una di loro. Il tema è interessante ma poco conosciuto: purtroppo si tratta di una storia di famiglia con pochi riferimenti storici. E' la peculiarità e al tempo stesso il punto debole del libro.
Kerri Jones
This was a forced read ie book club so it was never going to be a complete winner. The obvious flaws were too many foreign names that sounded distinctly the same. It was very hard to unravel the connections and although I only fell 40 pages short of the end it was a slog and I don't feel at all guilty for not finishing it.
Aurina
Cetin eschews the complicated politics of the Armenian genocide, concentrating instead on a deeply personal story. This is beautifully written (and translated), the story fluid, detailed and heartbreaking without ever being overwrought or manipulative.
Pinar
Such a heartbreaking, sweet and wonderful story. There were many Armenian grandmoms in Turkey and this book reminded me that cruel fact. Of course I finished with tears. I finished it in 40 minutes but effect lasted more.
Sarag Hovsepian
Absolutely loved this book...maybe its because i come from an Armenian family...but i loved it soo much tht i recommended it to everyone i know...its a must read! Too good to miss
Roberta Stacey
The family history in this book is so incredibly sad. Each one of us should be thankful each day for our much easier lives
Sonar Cali
Really Impressive. Couldn't stop reading it. I would recommend all my friends to read it.
Lale D
Anneannenin dedigi gibi:
'O günler gitsin, bir daha geri gelmesin...'
Helen
One of the most amazing and touching books I have read. Very humbling.
Vicky Green
loved this book - short and sweet but lovely insight
Canan
Reading the Turkish version: Annannem
Ceren Ataş
Ağlaya ağlaya...
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Nasser Alabouh
Nasser Alabouh marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • Mor Salkımlı Ev
  • A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility
  • Portrait of a Turkish Family
  • The Knock at the Door: A Journey Through the Darkness of the Armenian Genocide
  • Passage to Ararat
  • Peri Gazozu
  • Not Even My Name: A True Story
  • Not My Turn to Die: Memoirs of a Broken Childhood in Bosnia
  • An Armenian Sketchbook
  • Out of Exile: Narratives from the Abducted and Displaced People of Sudan (Voice of Witness)
  • Skylark Farm
  • To the End of Hell: One Woman's Struggle to Survive Cambodia's Khmer Rouge
  • تركيا: الأمة الغاضبة
  • The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia (Yale Nota Bene)
Fethiye Çetin is a Turkish lawyer, writer and human rights activist.
More about Fethiye Çetin...
Utanç Duyuyorum! Hrant Dink Cinayetinin Yargısı Torunlar The Grandchildren: The Hidden Legacy of "Lost" Armenians in Turkey The Grandchildren: The Hidden Legacy of 'Lost' Armenians in Turkey

“Her name was Heranuş. She was the granddaughter of Herabet Gadaryan, and the only daughter of İsguhi and Hovannes Gadaryan.    She passed a happy childhood in the village of Habab, near Palu, until she reached the fourth grade.    Then suddenly, she was thrown into the painful times about which she would say, ‘May those days vanish never to return’.    Heranuş lost her entire family and never saw them again. She was given a new name, to live in a new family.    She forgot her mother tongue and her religion, and though she did not once in her life complain about this, she never ever forgot her name, her village, her mother, her father, her grandfather or her close relations. She lived until the age of 95, always hoping that she might be able to see them and embrace them again one day. Perhaps it was this hope that allowed her to live so long; until her very last days, her mind remained sharp. Last week, we lost Heranuş, our grandmother, and sent her to her eternal resting place. We are hoping that this announcement might reach the relations (our relations) that we were never able to find while she was alive, that they may share our grief, in the hope that ‘those days may vanish, never to return.” 0 likes