Start by marking “Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)

Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles #8)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  869 ratings  ·  81 reviews

1. No more kissing. The intoxicating kiss Langley stole from her lips still has Minerva aflutter.

Published May 31st 2011 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Lord Langley Is Back in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Langley Is Back in Town

Lelyana Taufik
Bagus nih, kisah tentang Lord Langley , sang duda keren yang ngumpet di rumah janda muda , yang setelah seminggu, baru ketahuan.
Ketahuan nya juga lucu...saat mengendap2 di kamar Minerva, Langley terjatuh ke tempat tidur,menimpa Minerva yang baruuuu aja mnengkhayal soal permintaan bibi nya untuk menikah lagi, dia pernah bilang kalo dia akan menikah lagi kalo laki2 itu jatuh dari klangit,langsung ke tempatb tidur nya.... eeehh..kejadian deh..asli nih peristiwa ini kocak banget.

Terkesan juga deng
Karen
Ahhh, Lord Langley. We knew we'd be seeing him again-- the international diplomat and spy who passed off his titled mistresses as his daughters' "Nannies." Like a bad penny, he had to turn up eventually, and yes, rumors of his death have been slightly exaggerated (although not for long, if he keeps digging away at the past). But he's not without problems; having finally escaped a French prison, he IS still living under the taint of treason, and with no memory of what plot he had uncovered or who ...more
Heather
nurmawati
Netha
ellis, baron langley, ayahanda felicity & thalia langley.
kalo mo liat felicity & thalia yg udah dewasa begitu pasti bayangin lord langley sbg pria paro baya yg kebapakan.
ternyata oh ternyata....nih bokap funky abisssss. masih ganteng, gagah & mempesona.
sekarang kita bisa tau daripada felicity mendapat sifatnya yg maju terus pantang mundur, siapa lagi kalo ga dari bokapnya.
bener2 deh baca cerita ttg lord langley ini susah bayangin dia udah punya anak gadis yg bukan hanya 1 tp 2.

baron
Susana
First of all, i have to say that i really thought _ after reading the first pages and being introduced to the "nannies _ that this book was going to be a disaster.
I was wrong.
It was worse.
An hero that although on his forty e two years old, "sounds" like he's twenty. His behaviour could be described as juvenile and i never saw anything that would correspond to the title of master spy. An heroine, Minerva, that has an unlikely _ and far-fetched _ secret. It just didn't work. I wasn't interessed in
Maggie
A bit boring, to tell the truth. I didn't like the Heroine (bit too uptight), and the Hero's rakishness wasn't anything new to keep me interested. The Heroine has a great backstory/complication for her present (view spoiler) ...more
Virginia
Dreck. Utter dreck. This is an example of me following a romance author's recommendation (Julia Quinn), only to find that surely, this must've been done solely on a self-serving basis. Because the writing is TERRIBLE. Utterly horrible. I want to gouge out my eyes and unread the last 63 pages. Truly abysmal.
Barbara
Another great book from Elizabeth Boyle. What I liked about this is that the hero is in his 40's and the heroine in her 30's. The love story is a bit haphazarded but still is great. I would have liked a little more of Felcity and Thalia to tie the story up at the end.
Anna
Liked it--did not love it. It was fun to have Lord Langley as a hero since we've known about him from the first book in The Bachelor Chronicles.

Minerva was not a particularly likable character in the earlier books, so it was nice to view her more sympathetically.
Katya
Laura V.
2.5/5
No me convenció, lástima porque hace tiempo que le tenía ganas a la historia de Minerva.
No me gustó el que:
(view spoiler)
Lady Lioness
Thus begins my weekend of cleansing my literary palate. After this, I have In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks, Scandalous Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt, and Suzanne Enoch's A Beginner's Guide to Rakes just came into the library. Since I finished Heart Search, I've been jonesing to do a Robin D. Owens re-read, but I'm going to hold off for the moment. Historicals are my books of choice when I feel like I need a break because they all blend together in my head. Truly good historicals for me are the ...more
SidneyKay
Jennie
Published on Life Between Books on 8/9/11

From Goodreads: Lord Langley and Minerva, Lady Standon, began their faux engagement with three simple rules set down by the baron's all-too-proper (and utterly unlikely) bride-to-be.

2. She will not share his bed. (For if his kiss is that tempting, Minerva doesn't dare imagine what a night in Langley's embrace will do to her already addled senses.)

3. No scandal
A good solid romantic read for me. Was it silly and unrealistic in some places? Yes. But it wasn't unbelievable in the world she built so I was fine with it. I loved the banter back and forth between the characters. Lord Langley was a great hero, and I thought the heroine was a good match for him in that she was passionate, but she was cautiously reserved because of a secret in her past.

I loved how anti-climatic the revelation of her secret was for everyone but her. Sounds weird, I know, but I l
Daisy
Okay, so I didn't dislike the book, but it didn't work all that well for me either. Minerva was a nice enough main character, though I thought she sometimes had a bit of too-stupid-to-live going on. But not the whole time, so I was somewhat accepting this. And Langley was odd, but well, he had been hit on the head (and no, not as a child).

Overall, I thought it was a bit unlikely. I mean, four of Langley's former mistresses storming Minerva's house and taking up residence there because they beli
Melanie
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

For the last three years, Lord Langley has been thought dead, a traitor to his country, and now he is ready to return and clear his name. There you go. That's the main plot.

Minerva is one of the three, and the last one of the Standon widows who have been given an ultimatum by Lord Langley's daughter Felicity to `get themselves hitched' or be financially cut off by her husband, the Duke. Well, the other two
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Elizabeth Boyle found that she had three Lady Standon’s who became widows and were left out in the cold when their husbands died before inheriting the Hollindrake dukedom. None of the widows got along so she decided to put them all in the same house and then give each their own love story. Lord Langley Is Back in Town[Image] tells the story of Minerva Hartley, the last Standon Widow.

The other two Standon widows have married and Minerva is enjoying the peace and quite now that she has the house t
Marina
This was my 2nd read in this series. Again a smooth read.Fun. Great characters. Love this author.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: 1825 Lon
"Minerva Standon"(Margaret Owens,"Maggie",bastard sis,widow,dowager,niece,pal)+Ellis Langley(dad, widower,spy,Baron,42yo,pal1)=3 boys(half bro's),Thomas-William(servant,pal1),Felicity L.(Duchess,twin sis,his girl)+Thatcher(Duke)=4 kids,Thalia L.(Baroness,twin sis,"Tally"
Kimberly
My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

All of London believes Lord Langley to be dead…and a good number think he might be a traitor as well. Neither is true, though someone has done their level best to kill Langley and frame him for treason. Having escaped a French prison, Langley is back in Town, ready to clear his name and reclaim his life. To do that, he needs a level of respectability, and how better to attain it than to arrange an engagemen
Linda
A bit of disappointment, I was hoping for a grand finale but it ended with a whimper. The first two-thirds of the book is glorious, but then it collapses. Too many loose ends to tie up, too many characters is my guess.

This book is #8 in the Bachelor Chronicles. Lord Langley is just not believable, too much of a cardboard cutout. Minerva, Lady Standon, works well and as long as she's the center of attention, the novel works.

Still one of my favorite authors and I'll buy her next book.
jackie frye
I love Elizabeth Boyle and this book is a continuation of her Bachelor Chronicles series. Lord Langley is a rake of the first order; he had romanced some of the most beautiful women on the continent during his years as a diplomat and spy. Lady Minerva Standon is a very proper widow who had no desire to remarry. Five of Lord Langley’s former mistresses arrive at Minerva’s home demanding to see Lord Langley. Minerva informs them he is not in her house and she had no knowledge of his location. The ...more
Melissa
It takes a long time to get started. The introduction of a set of atrocious "Nanny" whatevers (Lord Langley's ex-mistresses who are all titled Continentals) just about killed the book in the first fifty pages. Then there is the not-dead Lord Langley and his amnesia/the rumor that he committed treason. Then there is the Minerva's secret subplot which was unnecessary considering that no one really cared in the end. Then some odd subplot involving Minerva's aunt's husband. By the time everything wa ...more
Ssil
2.5/5

Minerva es una viuda respetable, una mujer de moral recta y estricta que vive de acuerdo con las normas de la sociedad londinense. No es feliz, pero tampoco se siente desdichada; lleva una vida sosegada, alejada de cualquier hombre, que lo único que haría sería complicarle la vida. No tiene intención de cambiar su estado civil, piensa terminar sus días como viuda, y es que su matrimonio no la proporcionó ninguna satisfacción. A la vida de la última de las viudas Standon llegará lord Langley
Jessi
The last widow of the Standons is happy. Darn it. She doesn't have any money but the other two widows have married so she's got her own house. Sort of. It's just been invaded by the former lovers (aka "Nannies") of Lord Langley. Unbeknownst to Minerva, Lord Langley is there as well. He is trying to get his things out of her house when he accidentally stumbles into her chamber. When the nannies (all of whom took care of Langley's daughters at various points in their life,) try to break into the b ...more
Diana Francis
I love regency romances and I really enjoyed this one. Yes, there are some weaknesses in some of the secondary characters, but it was really fun to read. I haven't read any of the previous Bachelor Chronicles, but after this one, I'd like to read the rest.

I thought the dialog was done well and the villains were pretty good and the backstory good. The only major issue I had with it was there's a scene where Minerva is being seriously threatened and Langley doesn't really seem to react, not then,
Galena Sanz
Un libro que pensé que me iba a gustar por las críticas y que había leído, ya que se decía que la autora incluía humor en los diálogos, lo cual es ciertos.

Sin embargo, las tramas de espías no me gustan mucho y en este libro están bastante presentes, además de que la relación entre los protagonistas se me ha hecho muy rápida. En general, las actitudes de los personajes me han parecido un poco fuera de época, ya que todos son muy liberales, tanto en su forma de actuar como en la de hablar, así que
Destiny
The epilogue is what sold me on this book. I thought it was an perfect end to the book. I've previously read Confessions of a Little Black Gown by the same author and one of the twin daughters of the hero of this one. I thoroughly enjoyed both books and I liked the author's notes in the back and the family tree in the front of the book. I'm looking forward to reading more of the authors books, especially her Bachelor Chornicles.
Rebecca
The writing felt a little forced and the plot was similar to other romance novels I've read, but it was still an entertaining read.
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7)
  • A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Cloudy With A Chance Of Marriage (Impossible Bachelors, #3)
  • A Most Dangerous Profession (Hurst Amulet, #3)
  • The Virgin's Secret
  • The Bed and the Bachelor (The Byrons of Braeborne, #5)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Bring Him Home
  • Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • To Desire a Wicked Duke (Courtship Wars, #6)
  • A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4) This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2) Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)

“Sometimes there is naught you can do for a man, save stand quietly beside him and believe. (Advice to Felicity Langley from her Nanny Rana)” 9 likes
“She liked to scatter hope," Minerva said, taking his offering.
"Pardon?"
"Snowdrops. They represent hope. The first flowers in the spring. Hope for a new beginning." She took a sniff of the delicate blossoms and then shyly glanced over at him. "Perhaps you were meant to be here today. To find your hope.”
5 likes