Start by marking “Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography” as Want to Read:
Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography

Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The companion volume to the ABC television documentary. Abraham Lincoln, one of the towering figures in American history -- and his visage, reproduced as it was in the pioneer days of photography -- is a familiar and permanent part of our heritage. Now, in this extraordinary and beautifully illustrated book, we are given Lincoln as we have never seen him before. The text i ...more
Published October 20th 1992 by Alfred a Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln

Firefly
Feb 03, 2008 Firefly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Until I was in my late 20's, I did not know my second oldest brother very well. About that time, however, circumstances in life brought us together and we found that we shared a deep and abiding love of books. He moved to Denver in 1992 from Los Angeles and every time I was there visiting we would go to The Tattered Cover together, a wonderful multi-story bookstore in Denver. We would spend ours there together, but separately and bump into each other from time to time as our browsing paths cross ...more
Tracey
Aug 02, 2014 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
audio version--since you miss all of the photographs and illustrations, this seems really short (4 hours) and probably would not satisfy any Lincoln buffs, but was interesting enough to listen to.
Jim B
Oct 03, 2015 Jim B rated it it was amazing
A must read! It contains every known picture of Lincoln, and many of the people around him. The authors are descendants of Frederick Hill Meserve, who was the first American collector of photography and his specialty was Lincoln.

The book is so detailed that it covers his presidency by devoting two pages to every month he was in office. It gave insight into the development of Lincoln's views on the reason for the war, slavery, and his incredible compassion and wisdom about people. The descriptio
Linda Appelbaum
Apr 14, 2012 Linda Appelbaum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although a short book, it is full of details about Lincoln and somehow I feel now like I really know and understand the man. He was so compassionate and a far better person than I knew before reading the book. Not affiliated with any church, he was a better man than many who claim to be religious and devout. I would encourage anyone curious about Lincoln to read this book.
Cindy
Jan 19, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating stories about one of our favorite presidents. I loved learning about his life as a boy, and also about his relationship with Mary Todd. After reading this book, I respect Mr. Lincoln even more! Did you know Thanksgiving was his idea? As was paper currency! Well done, sir!
Peregrine 12
Dec 24, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The photographs are incredible. The US history displayed here makes me wonder how anyone could have survived it all, much less gone on to forge a new kind of nation. This book is a must-have for fans of Lincoln-era stuff.
Kristen
Aug 25, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because at my mom's house, Lincoln books are one of the only options you have. That or Nancy Drew; I took the high road on this one. I was surprised at how much I learned and enjoyed as I read this book.
R.Friend
As an avid Lincoln reader, I was thrilled when this $50 edition showed up at Tower Records (R.I.P.) for $12.99. I knew there was a reason I kept putting off buying it at full price... It remains one of my all-time faves.
Eric
Jun 25, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adequate biography, I listened to it on a road trip in lieu of Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals," which was not available. A good basic story of our greatest President. Good and still very inspirational.
Lindsay
Mar 28, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
Our entire family, ages 6 to 37, really liked this book. The photos are mesmerizing, and the accompanying text, when you can tear your eyes away from the photos to read it, is well-written and informative.
Paula
Apr 06, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written and interesting book on Abraham Lincoln and his life. There was a lot in there that I didn't know. I learned a lot from this book and loved the illustrations.
Cheryl
Jul 27, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
While not the best written Lincoln biography I've read, this book is worth the reading for the fabulous photo collection of Kunhardt's grandfather, Frederick Meserve.
Melanie
Wonderful pictures that make the story of Abraham Lincoln come to life.
Candace
Feb 20, 2010 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this short but very interesting book on Lincoln.
Nancy L.
Feb 21, 2009 Nancy L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: white-house
Probably my favorite Lincoln book.
Jessica
at Ft Rich library
Lorna
Lorna is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Kathe Miller
Kathe Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Dan
Dan added it
Jan 30, 2016
Deng Garang
Deng Garang rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
David Piacentini
David Piacentini marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Anna Tillerson
Anna Tillerson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Chitra Shah
Chitra Shah marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Erick
Erick added it
Jan 15, 2016
Jamie Fitzpatrick
Jamie Fitzpatrick rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Nazia Ayubi
Nazia Ayubi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Meg Tompkins
Meg Tompkins marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America
  • The Age of Lincoln
  • Lincoln at Cooper Union: The Speech That Made Abraham Lincoln President
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney: Slavery, Secession, and the President's War Powers
  • Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography
  • 1864: Lincoln at the Gates of History
  • Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
  • Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates That Defined America
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows