Start by marking “Irrungen, Wirrungen” as Want to Read:
Irrungen, Wirrungen

Irrungen, Wirrungen

3.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,293 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Mit großer Nüchternheit beschreibt Fontane die Irrungen und Wirrungen einer Gesellschaft, die sich vom Gebot der Menschlichkeit entfernt hat und in der das unstandesgemäße Liebesverhältnis zwischen einem Adligen und einer kleinen Plättnerin scheitern muss. Allein in deren Gedächtnis dauert diese "Herzensbindung" an und erinnert beständig an die Notwendigkeit, der Menschlic ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Aufbau-Verlag (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about Irrungen, Wirrungen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irrungen, Wirrungen

Issicratea
Sep 18, 2014 Issicratea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 1800-1900
I can’t believe quite how dismissive, or damning-with-faint-praise, the English-language reviews of this novel on Goodreads are. It’s a relatively early novel of Fontane’s, considering his late start as a novelist (it was published in 1888, when he was almost 70), but I think it’s a minor melancholy masterpiece, almost up there with his great Effi Briest.

The German title of this novel is Irrungen, WirrungenConfusions, Delusions, as a previous English translation renders it. I like that far mor
Julia
Jan 20, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realismus, 19-jh
Eine Novelle, die den Realismus bedingungslos repräsentiert. Keine romantische Verklärtheit, kein Spannungsbogen, keine Auflösung. Nur das Leben, tragisch in seiner Einfachheit und deprimierend Lebensnah.

Dieses Buch sollte man nur lesen, wenn man sich für klassische deutsche Literatur, oder das Werk Fontanes interessiert. Das bewundernswerte hier ist schlicht sein ergreifender Realismus und um den zu erleben, kann man auch einfach aus dem Haus gehen.

Die Geschichte hinterlässt höchstens einen Anf
Cat {Wild Night In}
First published in 1887, Irrungen, Wirrungen tells the story of two lovers who are doomed to never spend their lives together despite wanting to.

Although the theme was hardly a new one, even to contemporary readers, the way the story unfolds is beautiful- Fontane has a knack of leading the reader by the hand, showing and not telling the depths of the main characters’ feelings for one another.

Lene, the main female character says from the start that her relationship with Baron Botho cannot last. I
Larou
Theodor Fontane is generally considered to be the pinnacle of the realist novel in Germany, something like the German equivalent of Balzac and Dickens. There is one marked difference between his novels and that of his French and English counterparts, though – Fontane’s novels lack any trace of the sensational novel and of melodrama that run so strongly through the work of the other two. There never is much in the way of plot, and even if characters die through suicide or in duels, there is never ...more
Czarny Pies
Dec 16, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german-lit
“Trials and Tribulations” is about achieving happiness in late nineteenth century Prussia by following society’s rules. Young men can sow their wild oats with women of inferior social station but when the time comes in their lives to enter into respectable marriages they must promptly end any inappropriate liaison. Young women from lower social classes should respect the rules that govern the lives of any lovers they might have from higher social classes and not make a fuss when they are inevit ...more
Sara
Feb 14, 2017 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
my teachers version of the electric chair
Barbara
Jun 16, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Beautifully written story, set in Berlin in the late 1800s, about a poor seamstress and a young baron who fall in love. Lene, the seamstress, supports herself and her mother while the baron's fortune is on the brink of collapse. The economic and social circles they both inhabit doom this relationship; Lene knows it and deals with it, but Botho, the baron adapts less readily. It's a well done look at the effect of societal classes and expectations on one's destiny and happiness.
I think it's just
Dafne
Abbandonato il mestiere di farmacista, Theodor Fontane - che fin da giovane aveva coltivato la passione della scrittura - si dedicò alla carriera di giornalista e di recensore teatrale. Autore tedesco d’origine francese, conservatore e allo stesso tempo impietoso critico della Prussia imperiale di fine ottocento, della borghesia dei nuovi ricchi, dell’arrivismo e dell’opportunismo, si affaccia alla carriera letteraria esordendo all’età di sessant’anni con L’adultera, primo di una serie di romanz ...more
Iris
Jan 21, 2017 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this novel for my German class.
I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it, eventhough some consider it as "just another love story".
However, this shows how love was in that time, and how happy we can be to live in this time with all out freedom.
There was on thing I didn't like though, and that was that both Botho and Lene didn't at least try to make their relationship work. I felt the story just lacked some action.
However the scenery and emotions were all beautifully described!
Nyx
Feb 22, 2017 Nyx rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dafür, dass ich nichts erwartet habe, hat es mir wirklich gut gefallen, daher hätte ich lieber noch ein halbes Sternchen mehr rangesetzt. Es zeigt ein nettes Bild der Zeit (Bonus: in Berlin), wie weit das mit der romantischen Liebe dann doch war und das am Ende jeder einen Strich dort zieht, wie Stand und Ehe beginnt. Es ließt sich super in kleinen Häppchen weg. Ein netter kleiner Klassiker für zwischendurch, wenn man keine Lust auf melodramatische Liebesgeschichten hat.
Annika
Hmm, wieder so ein typischer Schulroman, durch den ich mich eher quälen musste als alles andere. Mich nervt es einfach, dass wir in der Schule immer nur Liebesromane durchnehmen, aber nie Bücher über andere Themen.
Dennoch gebe ich Fontanes Werk drei Sterne, da es mir schon irgendwie gefallen hat. Klar war das Konzept alt, dennoch fand ich die Auflösung mal was anderes und auch die Bedeutungen hinter seinen ganzen Umschreibungen und Sätzen sind ziemlich faszinierend.
Theresa
Jan 15, 2017 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Describing the lifes of the unhappy protagonists without many embellishments and yet beautiful to read. A great read Not just for people interested in classic german literature.
Hannah Read
'On Tangled Paths' by Theodor Fontane is a classic love story between Botho, an aristocratic cavalry officer and Lene, an orphaned seamstress. Due to their class-related circumstances, they find themselves against society in their wish to be together.

I actually really liked this book. It is beautiful, and for an early novel is rather good. The story follows both Lene and Botho from the moment they meet until the end. Fontane is incredibly descriptive of his character's circumstances and emotion
Mi

I certainly do not consider myself in a position to call this a bad book – but I was unable to finish this.
The fact that I read the original German version didn’t help it as I’ve never fancied German for reading. The story itself sounds like something I would definitely enjoy. And being a less than 200-page-long book I am surprised that I didn’t manage to pull it through. It was just so utterly slow-paced which, in the end, made it seems awfully boring. The teacher we were reading this with also
Karla Eaton
Well, I am embarrassed to say, I don't get it. This is supposed to be Fontane's masterpiece. It left me cold. As a love story with the classic conflict of class difference, I see the point, but I disliked Botho so severely, I could not help but cheer when he leaves Lene because he felt obliged to his family to marry for money and expectations rather than love. I do not see what she saw in him. She is a delightful woman - honest, independent, loving, devoted, selfless. He is everything modern man ...more
Lydia
Oct 14, 2011 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prekvapivo dobré! Naozaj pán Fontane je zatiaľ jediná svetlá výnimka medzi nudnými nemeckými autormi s ktorých dielami som mala tú česť sa zoznámiť.
Trošku k dielu: hlavná hrdinka so silným charakterom, úprimná a dosť sebavedomá dievčina mi bola veľmi sympatická. Hlavný motív diela je láska medzi dvoma ľuďmi z rôznych spoločenských vrstiev - trošku otrepaný ale veľmi dobre spracovaný. príbeh je situovaný v Berlíne 19 storočia - krásne opisy, vecné, zachytávajúce atmosféru, nie príliš rozvláčne. L
Terence
Also known as On Tangled Paths, Trials and Tribulations (Irrungen, Wirrungen), is not Fontane's best effort; Lena is a little too good-hearted and self-aware to be entirely believable but not the worst way to spend a couple hours.

However, try to find another edition than the Mondial (ISBN 978-1-59569-125-5) I originally read - it's riddled with egregious typos.
Christiane Alsop
Das Buch kann nicht an Effie Briest heranreichen, denn bei Effie Briest stimmte alles. Hier erscheint mir der Anfang merkwürdig irrelevant und das Ende wird dem Thema nicht gereicht. Und doch: die Beziehung zwischen Lene und Boto ist meisterhaft gezeichnet, der Klassenkonflikt messerscharf eingefangen. Seine Szenen hinterlassen bleibenden Eindruck, ebenso wie sie Charaktere.
Edith Lueke
Jan 16, 2017 Edith Lueke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read, to remember what the author had said. Understood a lot more of the references to locations in Berlin, and am more familiar with the Berlin 'talk' (Berlinerisch ist schwer, doch Wienerisch noch mehr)! Typical content relating to the classes that existed in society at the time. Today, we likely have the same, but with different 'classes'.....
Nico
Jul 14, 2008 Nico rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, school
we read it at school, and it was boring. everytime i tried to read, i fell asleep. in the end i listened to the audiobook (the reader was quite good, thus i got throug it)
it was an early work of Fontane. i think he wrote better ones later.
Melanie
Oct 12, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auf-deutsch, classics
This is not a happy story, but as with most of Fontane's works, there were several parts where I laughed out loud. I was especially fascinated by the character of Käthe and would love to write about her.
Jenny-Antonia
Jan 21, 2012 Jenny-Antonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Botho ist ne Wurst.
Käthe ist anstrengend.
Lene gehört in die Chefetage.
Und Berlin ist großartig!
Aber das Herz zerreißt es einem in der brust,
bis zum Ende hin. Ganz langsam.
Wunderbar leise, traurig, aufrichtig.
Todor
Nov 19, 2015 Todor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german
There is certainly beauty in Fontane's serene rhythm of storytelling which I could appreciate. Nevertheless, stylistic restrictions considered, the predominant feeling of deliberate meekness in the characters' behaviour made for an underwhelming reading experience.
Thabile Khumalo
Mar 24, 2013 Thabile Khumalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wie habe ich Irrungen,Wirrungen geliebt! Wer in eine wunderschöne Welt verschwinden will muss dieses Buch lesen.
Ull
Oct 07, 2012 Ull rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
hach ja...schon tragisch irgendwie!
Natascha
Fontanes Stil ist sehr beeindruckend. Er gibt in seinen Beschreibungen kleine Hinweise auf den Verlauf der Geschichte und charakterisiert die Charaktere fast komplett mit dieser Technik.
Galina
Oct 21, 2016 Galina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Quite tragic and sad, though it seems to be quite realistic and let's people think about their own prejudices. Do things actually have changed?
Markella
Nov 06, 2009 Markella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ένα παραμύθ -ρομάντζο αστικού ρεαλισμού χωρίς χαρούμενο τέλος
Leonie Zeller
Apr 10, 2016 Leonie Zeller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3.5
  • Das Urteil und andere Prosa
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • Maria Stuart
  • Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts
Theodor Fontane (30 December 1819 – 20 September 1898) was a German novelist and poet, regarded by many to be the most important 19th-century German-language realist writer.

More about Theodor Fontane...