Start by marking “The Beloved” as Want to Read:
The Beloved

The Beloved

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  14 reviews
You’ve seen her before. Maybe somebody you know is dating her. Getting into debt by taking her to fancy restaurants and buying her expensive jewelry he can’t really afford. Yet you see her for what she really is.

Yet your friend will not dump her. After all, he’s in love, despite all the problems and havoc his new girlfriend is causing.

She isn’t who she says she is.

She is c
Hardcover, Limited, 453 pages
Published November 2010 by Altar 13 (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beloved

Bark's Book Nonsense
Hmmm, is it fair to rate a book when I didn't finish it? Probably not but I'm doing it anyway. This 2 stars is for the first 90 excruciatingly boring pages. I quit after that, as I couldn't take yet another detailed description of a white trash woman getting blasted and cursing out her ex or the endless jabbering on about lame-ass, pitiful sex blinded Ronnie working double shifts to pay the mortgage, the utilities, and the car payment while his new girlfriend sits on her lazy ass, refusing to wo ...more
Bandit
This was a very enjoyable quick read, 3.5 solid stars. Not exactly original, Gonzalez doesn't put a new spin on the succubus story, but I did enjoy the way he explored family dynamics in the situation and under duress and also the characters were well written and compelling. This book was also much better edited than his previous one, Survivor. Recommended to horror fans.
Mike Kazmierczak
After a couple of books that I couldn't quite get sucked into completely, THE BELOVED was just what I needed. Something that pulled me in and wouldn't let go until I finished it. It took me a couple of extended marathon reading sessions to devour it but I was very pleased and satisfied.

The story follows a Ronnie Baker and his sister Elizabeth. Ronnie is out of a divorce and relatively new to the dating scene when he meets Diana via an online dating site. The two hits things off and he ends up qu
William M.
Brian
The Beloved was certainly an interesting, enthralling story. Unfortunately, this book didn't seem to be edited very well. The awkward sentences, meandering paragraph structure, and needless repetition of trivial details got to be a bit annoying after the first couple of chapters.

In short, note to Leisure Books/Dorchester: Hire some skilled editors who aren't afraid to be assertive with the authors in their charge!
Jon
Dec 08, 2008 Jon rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not a soul
Shelves: horror
What can I say. This was one of the most horrible books I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Utterly boring. Incredibly stupid storyline. It normally takes me two weeks tops to complete a book. It took me about 7 months to trudge through this piece of garbage. And when I finally finished it, that is where it ended up....in the trash can. Please stay away from in at all costs.
Angie crosby
I didn't care for this. The story line didn't make me want to read more. I read it only to read it. It wasn't bad enough to stop reading. that is why I finished it. It's about a succubus and frankly that doesn't interest me. It seemed more horror than it was according to the cover.
MK (Food actvist)
First time reading this author. Interested enough to look up more of his books. Not for the casual horror reader. Cringe inducing scenes of torment and overall spine-tingling reading.
Barbara ★
This is so boring that I couldn't even get past page 50. No action just a bunch of cheating spouses. Supposed to be a great book but so slow it's not worth reading.
El Galan
One of the best Books Ive ever read!!!
Even though it was so long I read it in 3 Days because I couldnt put the damn thing down!
Willette Hill
Deliciously trashy summer-time reading book. It was entertaining, suspenseful, scary and predictable.
Allan
Very interesting.I like the legend of the succubus. This is a well researched and very good book.
Suzanne
I really enjoyed this one, I will read more of him.
Linda Todd
Linda Todd marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Conal Cochran
Conal Cochran marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Gemma Innes
Gemma Innes marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Denis Pedersen
Denis Pedersen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Michael Hicks
Michael Hicks marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Japanese Girl ^.^
Japanese Girl ^.^ marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Evans Light
Evans Light marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Killing Kind
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Attraction
  • The Long Last Call
  • Night Life
  • The Nameless
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...
Survivor Clickers Clickers II: The Next Wave Clickers III: Dagon Rising Shapeshifter