Start by marking “The Beloved” as Want to Read:
The Beloved

The Beloved

You’ve seen her before. Maybe somebody you know is dating her. Getting into debt by taking her to fancy restaurants and buying her expensive jewelry he can’t really afford. Yet you see her for what she really is.

Yet your friend will not dump her. After all, he’s in love, despite all the problems and havoc his new girlfriend is causing.

She isn’t who she says she is.

She is c
Hardcover, Limited, 453 pages
Published November 2010 by Altar 13 (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beloved

Bark's Book Nonsense
Hmmm, is it fair to rate a book when I didn't finish it? Probably not but I'm doing it anyway. This 2 stars is for the first 90 excruciatingly boring pages. I quit after that, as I couldn't take yet another detailed description of a white trash woman getting blasted and cursing out her ex or the endless jabbering on about lame-ass, pitiful sex blinded Ronnie working double shifts to pay the mortgage, the utilities, and the car payment while his new girlfriend sits on her lazy ass, refusing to wo ...more
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable quick read, 3.5 solid stars. Not exactly original, Gonzalez doesn't put a new spin on the succubus story, but I did enjoy the way he explored family dynamics in the situation and under duress and also the characters were well written and compelling. This book was also much better edited than his previous one, Survivor. Recommended to horror fans.
Mike Kazmierczak
Nov 29, 2012 Mike Kazmierczak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a couple of books that I couldn't quite get sucked into completely, THE BELOVED was just what I needed. Something that pulled me in and wouldn't let go until I finished it. It took me a couple of extended marathon reading sessions to devour it but I was very pleased and satisfied.

The story follows a Ronnie Baker and his sister Elizabeth. Ronnie is out of a divorce and relatively new to the dating scene when he meets Diana via an online dating site. The two hits things off and he ends up qu
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
First time reading this author. Interested enough to look up more of his books. Not for the casual horror reader. Cringe inducing scenes of torment and overall spine-tingling reading.
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nick
Jul 16, 2015 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-competition
Normally I really like JF Gonzalez. Survivor was a brilliant horror novel. The Clicker's series is straight up monster mayhem. This one on the other hand just didn't do it for me. I had trouble getting into the characters. There was a lot of repetition in the dialogue. The story itself wasn't bad at all but it felt like it just never took off. If you plan on checking out Gonzalez hold off on "The Beloved" until you read some of his other works.
Brian
Dec 01, 2007 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Beloved was certainly an interesting, enthralling story. Unfortunately, this book didn't seem to be edited very well. The awkward sentences, meandering paragraph structure, and needless repetition of trivial details got to be a bit annoying after the first couple of chapters.

In short, note to Leisure Books/Dorchester: Hire some skilled editors who aren't afraid to be assertive with the authors in their charge!
Charlene Nelson
Dec 16, 2015 Charlene Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictions and Sex

I love this book... I've been a fan since I read survivor . This book is about a thing that finds people and makes them become addicts. Love marriage and money are all what the thing desire but it's the need for the person they enjoy. Love this book you should read it.
Jon
Jun 07, 2008 Jon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not a soul
Shelves: horror
What can I say. This was one of the most horrible books I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Utterly boring. Incredibly stupid storyline. It normally takes me two weeks tops to complete a book. It took me about 7 months to trudge through this piece of garbage. And when I finally finished it, that is where it ended up....in the trash can. Please stay away from in at all costs.
Angie crosby
Aug 13, 2008 Angie crosby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, horror
I didn't care for this. The story line didn't make me want to read more. I read it only to read it. It wasn't bad enough to stop reading. that is why I finished it. It's about a succubus and frankly that doesn't interest me. It seemed more horror than it was according to the cover.
Elizabeth
This was an interesting storyline but I found the actual writing to be quite poor. At one stage the character Elizabeth was actually referred to as Michelle. Further editing was required prior to publishing this book.
Suzanne
Aug 09, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one, I will read more of him.
The Once and Future King
One of the best Books Ive ever read!!!
Even though it was so long I read it in 3 Days because I couldnt put the damn thing down!
Dani
Great concept, just too raunchy for me personally.
Allan
Nov 14, 2011 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting.I like the legend of the succubus. This is a well researched and very good book.
Barbara ★
Jun 20, 2009 Barbara ★ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, read-2010
This is so boring that I couldn't even get past page 50. No action just a bunch of cheating spouses. Supposed to be a great book but so slow it's not worth reading.
Willette Hill
Deliciously trashy summer-time reading book. It was entertaining, suspenseful, scary and predictable.
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Bernard Colone
Bernard Colone rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Amy Aldrich
Amy Aldrich rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Adam Wilson
Adam Wilson rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Cindy Bennett
Cindy Bennett rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Catherine sanderson
Catherine sanderson rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
James
James rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2008
Tristan
Tristan rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Mark Altizer
Mark Altizer rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
  • The Thief of Broken Toys
  • The Reckoning
  • The Book Of A Thousand Sins
  • Invisible Fences
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...