Start by marking “A Friend is Someone Who Likes You” as Want to Read:
A Friend is Someone Who Likes You

A Friend is Someone Who Likes You

Joan Walsh Anglund explores the concept of friendship in this classic book for children and adults. Illustrated in three-color and black-and-white.
Published 1959 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Friend is Someone Who Likes You, please sign up.

Aqua
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lisa Vegan
Jul 09, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children ages 3-6
Well, I still own the copy of this book that was given to me when I was 6. I loved it then and I enjoyed it for years. Part of why I felt so fond of it was how I acquired it: Shortly after I turned 6 we were living far from my regular apartment & city, and when it was Halloween we went around the apartment building where we were living ringing doorbells. Hardly anyone was home so I didn’t get much candy. This one older gentleman answered the door and he’d forgotten it was Halloween and he fe ...more
Kathryn
Jul 15, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-favorites
So sweet! I loved this as a kid, too. I especially appreciate how "friends" can include cats and dogs, and brooks and trees and the wind!
booklady
Oct 16, 2016 booklady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children and parents
Going through books as I (finally) clean out the back room from our homeschooling days. (Turtle here!) I wasn’t exaggerating. Ran across this 1958 edition, which I don’t remember buying or receiving.

It’s a charmingly old-fashioned little book by a mother written for her daughter. She explores the topic of friendship beyond the ordinary, opening children’s eyes to seeing the potential for friendship in animals and nature while offering gentle suggestions in the care and nurturing of friendships.
Gerry
Jul 13, 2014 Gerry rated it liked it
Delightfully illustrated in colour and black and white, this little book explores the joy of friendship.

It not only concentrates on people who become friends but introduces the wind, trees, a cat, a dog and other niceties.

And it ends with the point that everyone in the whole world has at least one friend, and then poses the question 'Where did you find yours?' An interesting question!
Ellie
Mar 16, 2011 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-book, own
I remember reading this book as a little girl-first in French, and then in English. It was a gift from my cousin and very sweet, though I was too old really for the English version by the time I read it.
The art is very lovely as is the simplicity of the writing.
Wendy
May 03, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice reminder because sometimes I forget and think that a friend is someone who just needs you to listen endlessly to them.
Z
Feb 13, 2014 Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favorites, great for all ages and a good reminder that friends come in all shapes and sizes and in and out of your life at different times.
Rhapsody
Jun 28, 2008 Rhapsody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children
Shelves: childrens
Gorgeous book. I'm always nostalgic for childhood favorites that I inadvertently encounter in some box in the garage, but this one gave me such a pang. It really was like finding an old friend that I'd forgotten about. All young kids should have a copy of this book. It really is a magical little volume.
Rochelle
Jun 18, 2012 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite books ever. i found it on our high school library when i was in high school. after i read it, i'll show it to my friends. they'll loved it too, just the way i do. although, they're not a book lover. i was 14 years old, way back then. i'm 27 now and i'll find myself reading it over and over again. :)
Fizzy
Sep 11, 2010 Fizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book ever. I got it for a dollar at the library this summer and read it whenever i'm sad. "A friend is someone who likes you. It can be a girl. Or a boy. Or a cat. Or a dog. Or even a white mouse. A tree can be a different kind of friend..." The illustrations just make me want to squish them they're so cute!
Linda
Aug 09, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, art
A Friend is Someone Who Likes You - fifty years ago Joan Walsh Anglund wrote this beautiful and charming little book about friendship - I think I've given away all my copies - it is absolutely a treasure.
Sandra Hurlbert
May 17, 2011 Sandra Hurlbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by a dear Aunt many years ago. I still love it! I have given it as going away gifts for special friends I have met and left during the years. It is a simple book, but in an age of superficial relationships, it reminds us what is real.
Rebecca
Five stars for the nostalgia factor.

"A brook can be a friend in a special way. It talks to you with splashy gurgles. It cools your toes and lets you sit quietly beside it when you don't feel like speaking."
Amanda
Apr 01, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
This was a good book for children. This was my mom's favorite book when she was little. It was sitting on the shelf at the house so I picked it up and read it. I liked it, it was good for being a childrens book but not the best one I have ever read.
Ktmattison
Sep 02, 2013 Ktmattison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me through a lot of hard times as a child. Whenever my "friends" were being jerks to me, or I had to deal with bullies I would pull this out and it would help cheer me up. Simple, and yet so effective and true.
Sandy
Nov 12, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent of little children. It is one of those books that help us learn good values
Oh, this is a lovely book! I am reminded of it by Lee, who has yet to read it to her little pun'kin. It is one of those truly memorable books of childhood that make me smile just thinking about it. Hurray hurray for another timeless classic!
Sandra
Sep 27, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, meu, before-2000
O forte deste livrinho são as ilustrações.
Tão, tão lindas!!!

Mas o seu conteúdo não se resume apenas às ilustrações.
Usando frases breves e parágrafos curtos diz-se grandes verdades sobre o que é um AMIGO de verdade.

Amo este livrinho <3
Karen
Sep 07, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Picked up this gem from a Michigan thrift store. After watching a Sophia the First show about friendship I pulled out all our little books about friends and curled up on the couch to read them to my little ones. It was a sweet time before naps....krb 9/6/16
Jess
Jan 18, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Printed in 1958, this tale is about friends and that they are everywhere. I bought it at a book sale in Lovettsville, VA. It was in great shape and I love to collect older books.
Claire S
Looks sweet, and if the German is simple enough, perhaps a good interim book for my language skills.
Kathryn
Nov 29, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so loved this little book when I was little and now for that matter!
Gemma
Jul 23, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures in this are REALLY GOOD!
Marilyn
Dec 23, 2010 Marilyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So cute. Jen, do you remember giving me this book in high school? I'm giving a copy to my daughter for Christmas. Love you Jen.
Emily Ruth
Jan 31, 2013 Emily Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely adorable! This book is not sappy, just touches your heart and makes you remember what a blessed feeling it is to have friends and be a friend. The illustrations are super cute also.
Ishta Mercurio
May 26, 2012 Ishta Mercurio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Simple, elegant, and honest. This timeless picture book about friendship is one to treasure and pass on.
Sydnee Hulse
Aug 29, 2011 Sydnee Hulse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite childhood books.
Sabrina Ardisson
Incredibly sweet.
Corinne
Aug 12, 2013 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute. Illustrations are very cute in an old fashioned way.
Christopher
A very good friend lent this book to me to read.
Kendall
A cute book, although artwork seems dated. Good gift book or for lesson on friends.
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
  • A is for Annabelle
  • The Mountain That Loved a Bird
  • Christmas Book
  • Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Star Wars: A Scanimation Book: Iconic Scenes from a Galaxy Far, Far Away...
  • Once Upon a Memory
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Too Tall Houses
  • The 13 Clocks; and, The wonderful O
  • Mud Pies and Other Recipes
  • Watch Out for the Chicken Feet in Your Soup
Joan Walsh Anglund is the author and illustrator of more than 120 books that have sold over 50 million copies around the world in 17 languages. For more than 50 years Joan has been writing and illustrating wonderful children's and inspirational books and has produced Dolls, Collector Plates Figurines, Clothing, Greeting cards, Tea Sets, Glassware and a host of other products to numerous to mention ...more
More about Joan Walsh Anglund...